Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spaghetti Squash

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spaghetti Squash Empty Spaghetti Squash Tue May 07, 2013 10:08 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

So, I bought a spaghetti squash the other day. Have to use it either today or Thursday. Any ideas?
I am thinking of baking it and then adding s&p, butter---
But what else can I have with it??
any ideas?

2Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Tue May 07, 2013 10:30 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

About 3 cups cooked spaghetti squash (1 medium one)
2 large garden tomatoes sliced
Kosher Salt
Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Dried Basil, Dried Parsley for sprinkling
5oz of fancy shredded Mexican cheese blend (separated)
Fresh Basil for Garnish (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 11 x 9 casserole dish with non-stick spray.

Spread about 1 cup of spaghetti squash on the bottom.add the rest in layers.Spaghetti Squash 20120730_spaghetti_squash_bake6

3Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 am

Admin

Admin
Admin

I just cut it in half (trim off the stem end to make a flat area to stand it up and make it easier to cut through), remove the seeds and put on a foil-covered sheet pan (I spray with PAM). Bake at 350° for about 1 hour.

Then I just use a fork to pull out the "strands" and add butter and s&p.

I've heard of others who cook in the microwave or even steam/boil but I prefer to bake to eliminate some of the excess moisture the other methods allow.

It's also good as a base for a marinara sauce - I like the texture of the flesh.

https://cookingfriends.forumotion.com

4Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Wed May 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Admin wrote:I just cut it in half (trim off the stem end to make a flat area to stand it up and make it easier to cut through), remove the seeds and put on a foil-covered sheet pan (I spray with PAM). Bake at 350° for about 1 hour.

Then I just use a fork to pull out the "strands" and add butter and s&p.

I've had spaghetti squash before but have never made it at home. Will have to try some and see if Brian would eat it. Sure would be good for us both instead of pasta. Thanks for letting me know how you prepare it, Beth.

5Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Wed May 08, 2013 4:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Since I happen to like most any winter squash I will cook one just for me and reheat in the microwave or skillet for different meals or lunch. Dane's not a fan at all so if I make it when he's around I'll also bake an acorn squash for him.

I was watching a cooking show where they were cooking a quiche in a pie pan with a defrosted shredded hash brown "crust" and it got me to wondering (especially after looking at Barb's casserole pic) if I couldn't do something similar using the shredded strands of the spaghetti squash as a "crust". Since I've got 3/4 of a squash in the refrigerator I thought I'd give it a try for brunch tomorrow. If it turns out yucky then I'll have wasted some squash and a couple eggs...BUT, if it's tasty ~ well, then I'm a genius! Hahahaha

6Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Wed May 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Cool! Let us know if it worked out.

7Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Wed May 08, 2013 4:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:Cool! Let us know if it worked out.

If it works, I'll take pictures.

If it gets tossed out I won't show a thing....LOL

In addition to attempting to use spaghetti squash strands for a "crust" I'll also have to adjust the normal ingredients for quiche because I don't like most cheeses. But, hey, if it works out I'll come up with a clever name for my creation!

8Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Why wait for brunch when you are formulating in your brain how you want to go about creating a new dish? Brunch for supper is just as good!

I looked in the cabinets for a small pyrex pie plate and, of course, there isn't one to be found in this villa. I have not packed up "my" kitchen goods to bring down so I had to make do with a small "individual" size glass dish. The sides were straighter than I envisoned for ease of service but we all have to adapt to what is available.

I liberally buttered the dish and shredded 1/4 of the cold leftover spaghetti squash:
Spaghetti Squash Quiche1

I pressed the squash in the buttered dish and gave it some s&p seasoning - then into a 400° toaster oven for 30 minutes. About half way through I looked and there was a puddle of "water" on the browning crust that I sopped up with a paper towel. Then, about 8 minutes later the bottom was bubbling up so I poked some holes in the crust to allow the steam to escape. After 30 minutes it seemed to be firm and browned on the edges.
Spaghetti Squash Quiche3

I don't care for Swiss or cheddar cheese so I used some Whipped Philly Cream Cheese to beat in with the eggs. I did end up using 3 eggs because I didn't think 2 would fill the crust. I added some cooked, cut asparagus to the egg/cream cheese mixture and poured it into the hot crust.
Spaghetti Squash Quiche2

Then I sprinkled on some crisp bacon and decorated the top with the cooked asparagus tips.
Spaghetti Squash Quiche5

I baked my Faux Spaghetti Squash Quiche at 350° for 20 minutes. I knew it was baked through when it puffed up like a frittata in the oven.
Spaghetti Squash Quiche6

At the table I allowed it to sit for about 5 minutes to "set" and then cut and served. I wish I had had some sliced tomatoes to have along side (and to look pretty on my plate), but you go with what you have. Tasty. Something I'd do again.

Spaghetti Squash Quiche7

9Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Thu May 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

That looks absolutely divine, Beth. I've copied it "for later." We love cheese so it would be fun to see if Brian could tell it wasn't a "real" crust. Good thinking!

10Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Thu May 09, 2013 5:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:That looks absolutely divine, Beth. I've copied it "for later." We love cheese so it would be fun to see if Brian could tell it wasn't a "real" crust. Good thinking!

Well, it's not as if I would EVER stoop to trying to fool Dane into eating something I prepared because it was healthy for him......

but, seriously, this came out quite good and I will make it again. Barb told me the spaghetti squash is an acceptable carb on a low carb diet (which I've been trying to follow ~ not altogether successfully, but any attempt is a good thing).

Dane had mentioned he wanted to drop some weight - he's my "meat * starch * vegetable" spouse. So I decided to make a "faux mashed potato" one night ~ I cooked cauliflower until it was completely mushy and then mashed it up with lots of butter and sour cream. It actually tasted a great deal like mashed potatoes, although the texture was a bit off. But, Dane ate as always, put some gravy over and enjoyed the meal. In the middle of the night I had to get up 3 times. That cauliflower in the quantity required for "mashed potatoes" gave me such intestinal distress....and poor Dane....he got up the next morning and got ready for work and then came downstairs to leave and ended up making a pit stop before walking out the door. I had to admit to him my little "trick" ~ only done because he had expressed a desire to drop a few pounds! He sighed with relief and said, "thank-you. I thought I was comin' down with the flu!" lol

11Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Thu May 09, 2013 7:58 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, that looks soo good!!
I am eying my spaghetti squash now.....ummmmmm
this weekend...maybe Sunday Twisted Evil

12Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Thu May 09, 2013 10:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

cookingirl wrote:Beth, that looks soo good!!
I am eying my spaghetti squash now.....ummmmmm
this weekend...maybe Sunday Twisted Evil

If it were me, I'd bake it Saturday morning because it takes a good hour to 1 - 1/2 hours to bake. You want it to be tender all the way through.

One squash is usually large enough for me to have for at least 3 meals. I just leave the skin on and in an air tight bowl or gallon zip bag in the refrigerator until I'm ready to reheat. It's one of those vegetables that I don't think get a funky taste when reheated.

13Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Fri May 10, 2013 5:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I tried that "use cauliflower instead" recipes on Brian. He didn't realize it was cauliflower but it certainly didn't pass as a good substitute. I'd make it again but then I love cauliflower. Brian often gags if I'm cooking it inside (no lie)! Here's the recipe if anyone wants it. It's far from terrible and is pretty good, all things considered. Just won't pass as the real thing...

Dave Lieberman’s Cauliflower Fettuccine Alfredo
Serves 2. Dr. Oz Show.

1/2 lb. cooked whole wheat pasta
1/2 head cauliflower, core removed and broken into small florets
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
Salt and black pepper to taste

Steam the cauliflower for 20 minutes until very soft. In a small sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat and cook the shallots until soft and translucent, stirring often, for about 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock and cook for 5 minutes longer. Set aside to cool.

In a large blender, combine the cooked cauliflower and the shallot-chicken stock mixture and purée until silky smooth. Pour the puree into the sauce pan and heat over medium heat until steaming. Remove from the heat, toss in the cooked pasta and add the grated parmesan cheese.

Season to taste with salt and pepper and divide between 2 serving bowls. Top with more parmesan cheese.

14Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Fri May 10, 2013 9:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

What I made was faux mashed potatoes....just saw something on someone's blog about adding sour cream and butter to mashed cauliflower. It tasted very much like mashed potatoes (and the texture would have been better if I had used a food processor or food mill).

But the after affects were not good. Won't do that again. But I MIGHT try a mix of half and half potato/cauliflower and see how that goes.

15Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Sun May 12, 2013 7:12 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I tried the spaghetti squash today.
I just baked it plain, as Beth and Barb suggested.

I had to add a bit of butter, salt, and pepper when I shredded it...

Awesome!! so yummy!! new food!! cheers

It was so good..

I had grilled chicken breast, with a bit of Trader Joe's Souvlaki grilling sauce, asparagus which was microwaved and spaghetti squash!

I could have eaten the entire squash without the other stuff. It was that good! Spaghetti Squash 2453703928 Spaghetti Squash 3267860543

16Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Sun May 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I don't put 'could' I put ATE.. pig pig

LOVE LOVE it.....

17Spaghetti Squash Empty Re: Spaghetti Squash Sun May 12, 2013 8:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's great you like it, Cyn.

But even if you try something and you don't really care for it, it's not as if you'll starve to death by tossing ONE meal.

I just don't buy a lot of a new food or, for that matter, expensive stuff. And what you'll probably be trying is new vegetables (for the most part).

So, what's on the "bucket list" next? Red beets and the stems/leaves? Artichokes? Fennel? Broccoli Rabe? Have you done the baby bok choy yet?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum