Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

HoneyNut Squash

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1HoneyNut Squash Empty HoneyNut Squash Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:43 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Hi!

I found the cutest little squash at Trader Joes. Everyone was buying them. It is a new item.

They are called honey nut squash. They look like miniature butternut squash.

So tiny.
Enough for one person, per meal.

All I did was cut in in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the spoonful of seeds in there.
I baked in the oven.

OMGosh! sooo good! Taste sweeter than butternut. All I did was scoop out the flesh and add butter.. yummy

I still cannot add and image. I do not have a photo bucket account. This site will not take anything from my laptop or my cell phone..so you will have to look it up...sorry

I am glad I bought a couple of them. So much easier to handle when cutting...for those of us who are physically inept..or injured..

I will always buy them; expecially now that I know what they taste like.

2HoneyNut Squash Empty Re: HoneyNut Squash Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The new varieties of winter squash are changing all the time. The farmers or scientists who cross-breed and come up with the smaller, sweeter squash are doing a great job.

I finally found delicata squash at the market here, not a new variety but very tasty. It's yellow/green striped and not too large. Excellent taste. Very sweet.

If you have trouble cutting your squash, remember you can bake it whole - it just takes a longer time. Then, when it's cooked it's easy to cut and remove the seeds.

Or, you can do what I do - poke some holes and cook in the microwave for 5 minutes, maybe another 5 minutes...whatever it takes to soften it enough for you to cut and/or hack into pieces. Lots of times I'll pre cook in the microwave and then cut and continue in the oven or on the grill.

Your microwave isn't just for popcorn.

LOL

3HoneyNut Squash Empty Re: HoneyNut Squash Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:50 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

If you have trouble cutting your squash, remember you can bake it whole - it just takes a longer time.  Then, when it's cooked it's easy to cut and remove the seeds.

Or, you can do what I do - poke some holes and cook in the microwave for 5 minutes, maybe another 5 minutes...whatever it takes to soften it enough for you to cut and/or hack into pieces.  Lots of times I'll pre cook in the microwave and then cut and continue in the oven or on the grill.

Your microwave isn't just for popcorn.

LOL[/quote]

Beth, thanks for the info.. I was wondering what other people do..The last few times I made butternut squash, I found that cutting it was almost impossible for me. It really wiped out my arm. thanks for the tips!!

BTW, I do not use my micro for popcorn. LOL! I buy a bag of low fat cheese popcorn!! It is so good.

I will have to try the microwave idea.

4HoneyNut Squash Empty Re: HoneyNut Squash Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:38 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I still cannot add and image. I do not have a photo bucket account. This site will not take anything from my laptop or my cell phone..so you will have to look it up...sorry

Upload them to Facebook.Why do not have photobucket..Easy to use lol even for me.I can not get my Iphon epics to here without copy/paste or right click to my PB account.

5HoneyNut Squash Empty Re: HoneyNut Squash Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cyn, the other way to cut through squash is to cut off the end, maybe 1" below the stem. Same for the bottom. Then you have flat to stand on and it's easier to get the knife started without the stem in the way or try to cut through the hard blossom end. You waste a bit of the squash but at least it's easier to cut through.

But the pre-cooking in the microwave is, by far, the easiest way to soften it up enough to cut.

I can remember having those gigantic hubbard squash - about the size of a large pumpkin and warty looking green skin. Dad took 'em outside and used and axe to hack 'em open. Once baked, that was WONDERFUL tasting squash.

6HoneyNut Squash Empty Re: HoneyNut Squash Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:47 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Butternut squash is dangerous to cut. I read about microwaving the squash and it really does help soften it to make cutting easier. I also cut off the ends to make it stable. I still didn't trust myself with a knife cutting one. I was sure I would amputate or badly injure a finger or hand. I now use a cleaver a rubber mallet. I hit the top of the cleaver with a few whacks and the job it done. This method keeps my fingers and hands at a safe distance from the cutting edge.

7HoneyNut Squash Empty Re: HoneyNut Squash Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:10 pm

NormM

NormM

When I have something tough to cut, like winter squash, I lay this cleaver on top of it and tap the blade through with the wooden mallet.

HoneyNut Squash DSCN3047_zpsj4dqpo4b

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

8HoneyNut Squash Empty Re: HoneyNut Squash Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm and I are on the same page.

9HoneyNut Squash Empty Re: HoneyNut Squash Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I had no problem with mine??????

10HoneyNut Squash Empty Re: HoneyNut Squash Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:19 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

For me, cutting a butternut squash is dangerous. I just don't have the strength in my arms to control a knife safely enough. The cleaver and mallet are very safe for me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum