Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed

+5
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 19]

201June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Looks great Beth!
BTW... got my order delivered from Tony Packos .... Love the whole pickled Hungarian hot peppers. So crisp. Have to try the hot ketchup yet!

The Wickles Pickles are easier to find down here....and a whole lot cheaper, too.  Found them on special at Fresh Market (usually the more expensive) on sale for $2.89/jar....usually $4.39.  I bought 3 jars!  LOL  I had the ketchup when we were still in Ohio....I wasn't overly impressed with it.  

No wickles pickles here, except we did see their relish!

Thats why I only bought a bottle of the ketchup to try.
T Packo's hot dog chili was ok, but we still like the Greek style chili sauce we make.

202June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:12 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Happy Belated Birthday, Lore! Loved what you said about growing older, too. Though I have some health issues and both of our backs are bad (understatement for me), Brian and I consider ourselves blessed to still have one another and to be able to enjoy "retirement" together. We, too, have all our marbles -- at least the ones we always had! -- and we laugh and enjoy one another's company every day. I wish you a wonderful year and many more to enjoy after this one!

203June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, I love kimchi -- surprisingly, so does Brian. I didn't realize until recently how many different "versions" of kimchi there are. I'd bet I'd like them all, too!

Your meals lately look delicious, BTW.

204June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:Happy Belated Birthday, Lore!  Loved what you said about growing older, too.  Though I have some health issues and both of our backs are bad (understatement for me), Brian and I consider ourselves blessed to still have one another and to be able to enjoy "retirement" together.  We, too, have all our marbles -- at least the ones we always had! -- and we laugh and enjoy one another's company every day.  I wish you a wonderful year and many more to enjoy after this one!  
Thanks, I think sometimes I tend to sound a little preachy about this age thing, but it really bugs me, and saddens me when people can't appreciate the fact of having the privilege of still seeing the grass green side up!

205June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:32 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:
Imelda wrote:It's my pleasure to cook for them, as you know I like cooking, and I'm so happy when I see them like my cooking, esp when they had second serving of it and were happy to keep the leftover for the next day  Very Happy

I smiled reading this, Imelda, as those of us who love to cook love seeing others enjoy our meals.  Good luck with the stuffed cabbage rolls.  That's something we usually don't eat.  Both of us would eat some but we just never crave them or even think of making them.  I'm curious to see how yours turn out, though, as I don't think I've ever seen a pic of something you made that I didn't want some!

I made some yesterday, they turned out good.. they are a bit plain for our taste, Dirk said they need some heat/hot sauce, but he is sure his parents will like them, they don't eat spicy food at all ( and no cilantro also ), my MIL doesn't add salt at all on her cooking, so I think my cabbage rolls will be perfect for them

I'm glad I added some chopped bacon, it cranks up the flavor, and a bunch of chopped jalapeno would be nice ( for us )
Very Happy

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 10_zpsgaxec0pa

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Stuffed%20cabbage_zpsevmcc9ds

206June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Imelda wrote:It's my pleasure to cook for them, as you know I like cooking, and I'm so happy when I see them like my cooking, esp when they had second serving of it and were happy to keep the leftover for the next day  Very Happy

I smiled reading this, Imelda, as those of us who love to cook love seeing others enjoy our meals.  Good luck with the stuffed cabbage rolls.  That's something we usually don't eat.  Both of us would eat some but we just never crave them or even think of making them.  I'm curious to see how yours turn out, though, as I don't think I've ever seen a pic of something you made that I didn't want some!

I made some yesterday, they turned out good.. they are a bit plain for our taste, Dirk said they need some heat/hot sauce, but he is sure his parents will like them, they don't eat spicy food at all ( and no cilantro also ), my MIL doesn't add salt at all on her cooking, so I think my cabbage rolls will be perfect for them

I'm glad I added some chopped bacon, it cranks up the flavor, and a bunch of chopped jalapeno would be nice ( for us )
Very Happy

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 10_zpsgaxec0pa

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Stuffed%20cabbage_zpsevmcc9ds

Stuffed cabbages look so good! Did you use all ground pork!

207June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper.... Tina bought a little rotisserie chicken at the store.
She ate some of that. I pulled a little crispy piece off, but I want a roast beef sandwich.

208June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Niagara Visitor

I finally took out the last of my leftovers in the freezer.  I am not good at labelling, so I'm never sure of what is in the package.  Surprise, it was spaghetti sauce and meatballs.  cooked some noodles, and it was great.

209June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No supper tonight....but a late lunch instead. Dane's sister followed us home last night and spent the night. After working at her house yesterday we all needed a break ~ well, all except for Mr. Amazing. Poor guy. He took advantage of his sister's pickup truck and we went to Lowe's to get some Styrofoam panels to insulate the metal garage door to (hopefully) hold back some of the heat. Our garage faces 'west' so it really, REALLY gets hot in the summer. He thought it would be a 2 hour job but, naturally, nothing is as easy as you imagine. He worked a good 10 hours completing the task. But, it's done and does seem to be helping.

So lunch it was ~ The Cooking Light Strawberry-Chicken Salad with pecans and farro (I've made it before). It was a good choice for an overheated Mr. Amazing. He must have drank over a gallon of water and Gatorade while he was slaving away in the hot garage.

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 IMG_20160615_141424403

My sister-in-law loved the salad. She doesn't ever have a chance for anyone to cook for her so it's nice when she comes here and doesn't have to pitch in to help in the kitchen.

210June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

Very Happy

[/url]

I knew you would come up with a great dish for you in-laws! Way to go! I would love those, I'm sure ~ and you know I'm with your mother-in-law when it comes to leaving the cilantro out of a dish! (I still think it tastes like dirty sweat socks.....ewwwww! LOL)

211June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:14 pm

NormM

NormM

I got some chicken paella, added some andouille and more rice and a salad and called it dinner.

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 DSCN3578_zps3plyip3q

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

212June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:12 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I got some chicken paella, added some andouille and more rice and a salad and called it dinner.

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 DSCN3578_zps3plyip3q

Wow!! what are they? Hot cherrie peppers in that salad? I love those hot peppers.

213June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Woo Hoo!!! Beth BEAT the rain tonight and got her wings cooked before the downpour. My timing was perfect ~ 10 minutes after I took them off the grill to finish up in the sauce it started. I love it when a plan comes together.

Jimmy, I thought of you when I munched on the incinerated wing tips ~ you know what I'm talkin' about. The charred and crispy edges of the pointy part of the wing. So good!

I put a sweet chili sauce/Sweet Baby Ray's combo on my wings. His got a super spicy 'Kicker Sauce' that we brought back from Ohio. He was happy. I was happy. It was a great meal!

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 IMG_20160616_165105888

Jimmy, if you were here I would have left the sauce off yours. It would have been a bit spicy for you...maybe not. But I'll bet you would have liked yours just plain.....

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 IMG_20160616_165351347

214June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Woo Hoo!!! Beth BEAT the rain tonight and got her wings cooked before the downpour.  My timing was perfect ~ 10 minutes after I took them off the grill to finish up in the sauce it started.  I love it when a plan comes together.

Jimmy, I thought of you when I munched on the incinerated wing tips ~ you know what I'm talkin' about.  The charred and crispy edges of the pointy part of the wing.  So good!

I put a sweet chili sauce/Sweet Baby Ray's combo on my wings.  His got a super spicy 'Kicker Sauce' that we brought back from Ohio.  He was happy.  I was happy.  It was a great meal!

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 IMG_20160616_165105888

Jimmy, if you were here I would have left the sauce off yours.  It would have been a bit spicy for you...maybe not.  But I'll bet you would have liked yours just plain.....

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 IMG_20160616_165351347

Oh Yeah! Jimmy's eyes are on the crispy wings.
What is in with the green beans? ... corn and croutons??

215June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's my 'standard' with leftover beans & corn.....fried up with onion until it's all caramelized. Sometimes I add bacon...tonight, I didn't. Good no matter how you fix it.

216June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Well.... had dinner. The kids loved Tinas thin sliced breaded chicken.
There was one super skinny thin one, and I nibbled on that.
Tina fried thin sliced potatoes. Peas, and butter for son Jimmy.

We have fresh made pumpkin pie for dessert later. Whipped cream too!

217June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:32 pm

Niagara Visitor

Well, I had dinner too.  Part was yummy, the other disgusting. I mad a stir fry of onions, asparagus, yellow pepper, and something that I thought would be fabulous................. fiddleheads.  Yuck they are disgusting.  The scallops were great with the other veggies, fiddleheads are going in the trash!

218June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm not a fan of the fiddleheads, either. But I did have them in a salad one time and they were really good. I think there's a real knack to knowing what to pick and how to fix.....

219June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'm not a fan of the fiddleheads, either.  But I did have them in a salad one time and they were really good.  I think there's a real knack to knowing what to pick and how to fix.....

Tina made them a couple times. We loved them.
Trick is to poach them first in boiling water.... then drain, and pan fry with a little minced garlic, stirring til done. (Soft ).

220June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

interesting.

I've never seen them at any of the markets, not even in Ohio where I know they are available in the spring. Guess I'm just not in the right area.

221June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:interesting.

I've never seen them at any of the markets, not even in Ohio where I know they are available in the spring.  Guess I'm just not in the right area.

Last we had known, is that they are a seasonal thing. Only available for a week or two once a year.

222June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:57 pm

Niagara Visitor

I bought them because I try to get different veggies sometimes.  I think I didn't cook them long enough.  I just did them in the stir fry.  Maybe next year.  Apparently there is a farm here, that's why I bought them.

223June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:20 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie had an egg and potato chip sandwich for dinner tonight and I had a fried Spam sandwich with potato chips on the side. I can't figure out why we forgot to take pictures.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

224June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Charlie had an egg and potato chip sandwich for dinner tonight and I had a fried Spam sandwich with potato chips on the side.  I can't figure out why we forgot to take pictures.

Sounds like you're campin in the woods.....

Egg and chips sounds good!

225June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 9 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:

Very Happy

They look really good, Imelda, though I'm with you and Dirk re the heat and the cilantro. Let us know if they were a hit with your in-laws!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum