Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed

+5
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down  Message [Page 19 of 19]

451June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had two large tomatoes that were too soft to slice. No rot, but give them 48, and there may be ketchup. I asked Tina mommy to dice and marinate them in water / olive oil / salt and spices with a 1/2 tsp of sugar. Next day, ( today ) , she cooked them down to reduce the liquid; added fresh basil from the garden pot, and served it over orecchietta macaroni.
Good. She made taco's for GD and her. I tried one / didn't like it. Old el Paso brand.
It just was too pastie and didn't taste right.

452June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:54 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I made some lettuce wrap with Beef Bulgogi and some stir-fried beansprout to go with

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 21_zpstnu6ffso

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 26_zpssgjmif2q

453June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:40 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We had two large tomatoes that were too soft to slice. No rot, but give them 48, and there may be ketchup. I asked Tina mommy to dice and marinate them in water / olive oil / salt and spices with a 1/2 tsp of sugar. Next day, ( today ) , she cooked them down to reduce the liquid; added fresh basil from the garden pot, and served it over orecchietta macaroni.
Good. She made taco's for GD and her. I tried one / didn't like it. Old el Paso brand.
It just was too pastie and didn't taste right.

When $$ was tight (when Dane was serving in Viet Nam) I use to love to make 'fake macaroni' ~ I would boil 1/2 c. of elbow macaroni in some tomato juice/water and maybe a shake of Italian seasoning. Loved that stuff.

Your orecchiette (little ears) catch all that sauce and that's why it's so yummy.

454June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:44 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:I made some lettuce wrap with Beef Bulgogi and some stir-fried beansprout to go with

Oh, I am a convert! Norm got me hooked on bulgogi and I KNOW yours is delicious! Your beansprouts remind me of a dish my brother use to make.....because of the pepper flakes, the first serving was spicy, but not too much. The SECOND serving, after sitting and marinating in the chili oil and spices and generally breaking down a bit from the heat......that serving brought tears to your eyes! LOL

455June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:53 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I had an old Chinese cookbook from a New York restaurant owner that would have a 'master recipe' at the head of a chapter, then a several pages for different other recipes  that said add "B" or Substitute "E" for "A".

I have a Chinese cookbook I bought years & years ago (must have had it 30 years by now, I guess) that I recently perused that you made me think of, Norm. Each ingredient in each recipe is labeled "A", "B", "C", etc. The instructions say, "Add A to B and stir. Mix C with whisk and mix with E and F. I swear it makes me dizzy just reading the recipes! Some of the recipes sound really good (the ingredients were pretty obscure when I got it and there's a big section of photos of lots of the ingredients used!) but I would have to type them out in "normal" language or I'd lose my mind trying to follow a recipe while making it! clown

456June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:39 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Tina and I both love egg plant meatballs. Ground beef, with cubed eggplant that was blanched. Then mix it in with the beef. Italian spices and garlic.....They are formed Oval, and flattened, and then I fry them then sauce them with grated cheese on top. Now Tina likes them NOT fried, but in a casserole and baked in tomato sauce.

My mom made (and hence, I make) what we call eggplant smothered with ground meat. Usually down here you see eggplant with shrimp, crabmeat or both. But since you know who eats no seafood, I make it with ground meat. It sounds a lot like what you described, Jimmy! I make good size cubes of eggplant and blanch them for about 10 minutes, and then drain them with a weighted plate on top of them in the colander to get all the water out. I brown the ground meat with chopped onions and fresh garlic -- rather than Italian seasoning, I use thyme, Louisiana's ubiquitous herb, to season. Then you add the eggplant to the meat and cover to smother it for a while. I usually put some white wine in there, too. Smells divine and is really quite good. We serve it over fluffy white rice.

I remember inviting one of Brian's friends to have dinner with us when he stopped by when we were getting ready to eat. I explained we were only having eggplant smothered with ground meat. He gave me a big ol' grin and said, "My grandma used to make that and I haven't had it in years." He ended up having seconds, too. It's really good for something so simple and is really the first dish I dared fix Brian with a type of soft veggie in it (like squash), as he's kind of funny about textures (much better after all these years, I must add). I really didn't think he'd like it but it smells so darn good while cooking and he still asks for it today. Sometimes my mom put in some tomato sauce but only rarely...

457June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:44 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:Today I cooked Chicken curry, not too spicy, I did not put too much spices, so it doesn't smell too pungent like the curry they sell in the restaurant

Mmmm, Imelda, that looked soooo good. There are so many different types of curry powder. Do you use one specific type or several? Just curious. Again, I could eat every single thing you've ever made -- your food not only looks good but it looks very "fresh" to me, too.

458June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:50 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Your beansprouts remind me of a dish my brother use to make.....because of the pepper flakes, the first serving was spicy, but not too much. The SECOND serving, after sitting and marinating in the chili oil and spices and generally breaking down a bit from the heat......that serving brought tears to your eyes! LOL

I love beansprouts -- any way I can get them.  I'd gobble up that second serving of your brother's beansprouts, too!

I like all types of sprouts, too -- they're really good on sandwiches, too, as they add that wonderful crunch and fresh taste!

459June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 Empty Re: June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:
Imelda wrote:Today I cooked Chicken curry, not too spicy, I did not put too much spices, so it doesn't smell too pungent like the curry they sell in the restaurant

Mmmm, Imelda, that looked soooo good.  There are so many different types of curry powder.  Do you use one specific type or several?  Just curious.  Again, I could eat every single thing you've ever made -- your food not only looks good but it looks very "fresh" to me, too.  

My curry is not too complicated, I cooked it from scratch, I used the fresh ingredients and cooked bunch of chili sauce so I can use them whenever I cook my spicy foods, we can also can use the powder ones too, chili powder, onion powder, ginger powder, galangal powder, turmeric powder, lemongrass powder, a bit of coriander powder, bay leaves, then add some coconut milk or just plain milk, if you like spicy, I can mail you some of my chili sauce, PM me if you are interested Very Happy

here are some homegrown chili I used

June, 2016 * * Dinners We Fixed - Page 19 DSCN0702_zpstqcp99zv

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 19 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum