Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner?

+3
bethk
Barbara101
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 19]

126"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:40 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

127"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Yes. Radish, avocado, jalapeños, green onions, cilantro, sour cream, red pepper flakes, tomatoes and cheese.

Darn.... That is really a first for me. I love radishes, and Tina rarely buys them.
That is a great idea for sprinkling on top of chili.

Nothing like a steaming hot bowl of chili, with a scoop of rice in the center.
Then garnished with the condiments.

128"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:09 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I'm confused with all these numbers.... sorry I am ignorant of the fact about these breads. In a simple terms....Pita breads are better than like white bread or Italian bread???/
I love whole grains bread.

129"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:23 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Beth.... Tina went with her uncle to PA to see his sister (95 y/o )
She went on the side of the house, and miraculously, there were vines of tomatoes growing, all criss crossed that no one really planted. They were there from previous years. The seeds that is.
And guess what? ..... they were all green as green could be! I am going to make a canned salad with some of them. I know you bread and fry them....right?
There are like 13 or 16 medium ones.

I loved my 'freebe' tomatoes....bought starter plants once and had 3 years of 'volunteers' with bumper crops. And, yes, I would take the green ones (especially the ones without the starting of juice/jelly inside) to make fried green tomatoes. I like them sliced thin, let sit in buttermilk/sriracha mixture to remove bitterness and then into corn flour (not corn meal....) to fry in bacon fat/oil in a CI skillet until crisp on the outside. Nothin' better as a treat, really good as a BLT instead of the usual red tomato slices.

I used some of my green tomatoes to make a green tomato relish with pickling spices, etc. Kind of a Chow Chow. Lot's of recipes out there.

130"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:29 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy, how about a basic diabetes cookbook or just a plain diabetes guideline book?
You cannot starve yourself, nor can you just cut down on your normal food. It is like going on a weight watchers diet. I am not a diabetic, as of yet---very strong in my family. You have to watch portion sizes, have more protein than carbs. Carbs are huge!
Whole grain bread is better than white, I think.
Barbara can help you also.
Perhaps look for a diabetes forum and start lurking on it for ideas.

131"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:02 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, your chili bar is always so inviting.....I can imagine sitting down at the table and digging in!

132"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:09 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Perhaps look for a diabetes forum and start lurking on it for ideas.

I learned more from these forums then from dr and nutritionist. Diabetes cookbooks are just regular cookbooks.I have 6 or 7 and the recipes are not great lol.
I went the smaller portions control and just eat ..So NOT for me. 1/2 cup veggie or 1/2 cup of this or that. 2oz of this or that.oy..
My ### went sky high with eating a small portion..Of everything..Did /does not work for me..

I have cut way back and when some of my grocerys are gone , I will not buy it again..I cleaned out my cabinets and fridge of 'no' food for me..
On the downside, I will be having 'low's'..Hate them..

133"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:23 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Another thing is just common sense. No white food..Except cauliflower.......

No sugar foods...All proteins..whole fats not low fat. Full fat dairy.Butter,cream..( I bought a ice cream machine to make my own sugar free ice cream)

portion size is key. meat is the size of your fist..1 cup/4oz of veggies.red potato (half) not white.

Jimmy you can NOT eat burgers and hot dogs and liverworst and donuts and ice cream and think taking a pill will wash all that away..It is nothing but wasting your med , they do not work like  that.

134"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've started my 'side dish' for supper tonight. It's the only thing I'm sure of.....

I had a bunch of kale and thought of just braising it but then considered getting a can of white beans (cannolini) to have with it. Since that required a run to the store, I tried to come up with another idea. I have a bunch of the 'fresh' Southern peas in the freezer my neighbor gave me. So, I decided on cooking some Zipper Peas with the kale. Then, when I was reaching for my onion and bacon for my base braising flavoring I saw the last two small parsnips. They were too small to use as a side dish and the only other thing I could think of to use them for was mashed potatoes ~ which is NOT on Mr. Amazing's list of approved foods. So, right now I've got my rendered one slice of bacon sitting to add at the last moment and the Zipper Peas, onion, parsnip, carrot & red pepper flakes are simmering in a bit of ham stock. When the peas are just about tender I'll add my washed/chopped kale and let it simmer until the kale is tender and most of the liquid is evaporated.

Mr. Amazing just suggested smoked beef sausage to go with the greens. OK, then.....supper is decided.

135"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:36 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am making something butternut squash..I have 2 apples that I should cook or eat..granny smith they have less sugar in them..

136"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:59 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Chili dogs tonight.

137"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wanted a starch....but I didn't want to sabotage him too much, so I braised some cabbage to mix in with my egg noodles. Man, that was the best part of supper! Love that combination.

"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 10.08.15

138"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Butt%20123

139"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Sherry%20collage

140"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:30 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Butternut%20apples

141"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:18 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Barbara, Can you post this recipe? Or tell me where you found it?

Looks delicious!

Thanks

142"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:27 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Apple, Leek and Butternut Squash Gratin

Adapted from “Whole Living” (September 2007)

Serves 4

• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 medium leeks, white part only, trimmed of roots and tough outer leaves, thinly sliced crosswise, well washed and dried  ( I used onion)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup dry sherry or apple cider
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, plus leaves for garnish
  • 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and sliced 1/8-inch thick
  • 1 pound apples, such as Gala, Cortland, Baldwin, or Macoun, peeled, halved, cored, and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices  ( I used granny smith,I had 2)
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a 10-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Add leeks and 2 tablespoons water; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Add sherry and sage and cook until liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 3 minutes; set aside.
  2. In a 2-quart shallow baking dish, arrange squash in overlapping layers; season with salt and pepper. Spread leeks evenly over the squash.
  3. Arrange apples in an overlapping layer over the leeks. Brush apples with remaining tablespoon oil. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 45 minutes.
  4. Uncover and sprinkle cheese over the top. Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees and bake 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is golden brown. The tip of a paring knife should easily pierce the gratin. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with sage leaves.

143"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That looks really good.....how was it? Would you make it again? It sounds like an interesting use of the squash that would be out of our ordinary. Thanks for posting!

144"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

yes it was good..I was not sure when I put the onion in lol.I was dying to put brown sugar in it hahaha

145"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Butternut%20apples

Wow!  That all looks so delicious.
And so picture perfect Barb. You sure do know how to take such professional looking pictures. Your pics really tell the story. Ummmmm!!!!

146"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had spaghetti tonight. Whole Grain spaghetti. I liked it very much. Tina bought me whole grain bread too. It is really good!
Tina baked me two slices of egg plant with mozzarella cheese melted on top.

One thing I found out, is that string beans and peas have a lot of sugar. And a banana is loaded with carbs. I guess its spinach and cauliflower instead. Next, I have to check and see if they have whole grain pancake flour. I have had Buckwheat pancakes, but I have to research if that has more or too much sugars / carbs??

147"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I wanted a starch....but I didn't want to sabotage him too much, so I braised some cabbage to mix in with my egg noodles.  Man, that was the best part of supper!  Love that combination.

"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 10.08.15

Tina picked up a cabbage today to do the same thing, only with bow tie pasta for me, and elbow macaroni for her likes.

148"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:59 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

My microwave bit the dust today so I was in no mood to cook. A replacement costs $1500. No way in hell am I going to pay that for a piece of junk. I am not really sure what to do. The dead micro had a 300cfm fan. Do you think I can replace it with another less expensive unit with a 300cfm fan or do I have to have a special unit because the burners are 12000btu's. Does anyone know? I have or had a vent hood that we could use instead only we can't seem to find it. We are going to try again in the morning. We have to look in the garage attic which isn't easy and hot as hell. If we can find it we will install it and just buy a countertop micro. If not then I guess we will have to search for another brand of all-in-one. It won't match the stove but we don't have much choice.

149"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:33 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Wow!  That all looks so delicious.
And so picture perfect Barb. You sure do know how to take such professional looking pictures. Your pics really tell the story. Ummmmm!!!!

I bought a camera for $400. I was lucky to get it to work and take a decent photo..My fault though, I am lame..I got a Iphone and bam,pics are great,Plus I go outside or by the window. The light is just right.. "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 2453703928 

150"OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:48 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Whole Grain spaghetti    "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 411572088 "OCTOBER" 2015 Whats for dinner? - Page 6 2876911673 had it once,threw the box away..

yes greenb/peas and corn and root veggies have high carbs.no banana for me or citris except lemon/lime juice..slack on apples and lots of fruit. most berries are the lowest.

no grains that much for me. oatmeal, thats it.

wwflour is out for me..I bought almond and coconut flour very $$ and did not like the way it worked up..most type 2 like it though.I ended up throwing it out..

I would rather do without then try to make something  'just like;' and it isn't..

Tina picked up a cabbage today to do the same thing, only with bow tie pasta for me, and elbow macaroni for her likes.  NO pasta lol.. BTW I eat cabbage ALL the time brings down my ### really fast.. Fried or slaw.With or without pork..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum