Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 ))

+4
Bugster2
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 16]

26"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:23 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

there is no fat in Rice Krispies......

27"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:46 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

No fat in the Rice Krispies but plenty in the butter or margarine that goes into making the treats. You just can't win.

Has anyone ever tried an off-brand of RK, like a grocery store's brand? They are so much cheaper but do they taste the same?

28"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:31 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Jimmy those look great. I have made them before but so easy to buy them lol have you posted Tina recipe and how she makes them so perfect?

29"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:42 am

NormM

NormM

I feel like it's time to have fish for dinner.  Hen House Market had some cod fillets and I plan to bake them with chili powder, cumin, oregano, butter and lime juice.  I saw a recipe for steak fries where the potatoes are baked with bacon on top, then the bacon is mixed with a mayo mixture. The mayo might be good with the fish too, instead of tartar sauce.  Finally I thought about making stuffed tomatoes but all the ones that look good have cheese.  Isn't cheese and fish supposed to be a no no somewhere?  I found a recipe for cherry tomatoes and onions stuffed in half a red pepper and baked.  I am not sure which one is going to be better.  Also I only have one oven and am not sure about getting everything done so it's all still hot.  Maybe I should re think this.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

30"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:58 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I can not figure out how to gety pics. From Instagram to here . With my laptop I can right click and it goes to my photo file then I download to photobucket then copy code to her e ... done ... on this iPhone and my tablet I can not right click . I am so lame with this stuff .

31"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:02 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I made a carrot tart . In my cast iron skillet . Cooked roasted them and used puff pastry shell . So when I get access to my photobucket I will post.

32"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:No fat in the Rice Krispies but plenty in the butter or margarine that goes into making the treats. You just can't win.

Has anyone ever tried an off-brand of RK, like a grocery store's brand? They are so much cheaper but do they taste the same?

Yes... we had supermarket brands of RK's and the no name big clear bag, and made the treats...Taste was stale, and I said to Tina.." I don't hear them saying snap / crackle / pop!"

We didn't like them...

33"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Jimmy those look great. I have made them before but so easy to buy them lol have you posted Tina recipe and how she makes them so perfect?

OK Barb. I'll post it...a recipe from Dom Deloise cook book!...

They are light and I make them with All purpose flour with no difference from the cake flour in the original recipe.

I will post it later....ok? Laughing

34"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:00 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:No fat in the Rice Krispies but plenty in the butter or margarine that goes into making the treats. You just can't win.

Yes... we had supermarket brands of RK's and the no name big clear bag, and made the treats...Taste was stale, and I said to Tina.." I don't hear them saying snap / crackle / pop!"

We didn't like them...

Thanks Jimmy. I have always wondered about it.

35"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:29 pm

NormM

NormM

Here was our dinner. Chili roasted cod, stuffed tomatoes, steak fries and green beans.

"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 DSCN2359_zpsu8oggbnp

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

36"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:12 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I made a roasted cauliflower. I polished off most of it.

37"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Here was our dinner. Chili roasted cod, stuffed tomatoes, steak fries and green beans.

"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 DSCN2359_zpsu8oggbnp
Looks great Norm.
Cod is my favorite. Actually, the dried salted cod (stinky ) is my favoite.

38"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 A6nfLx

Kielbasi Tina braised with onions and potatoes.
Cole slaw that I made...and macaroni salad Tina made.

39"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had a seafood lasagna, a green salad and a baguette.

40"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:We had a seafood lasagna, a green salad and a baguette.

Wow...that sounds good bugs.

How did you (basically ) put that together... ??

I'd like to do one of those for Friday No Meat Meals here.

41"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:22 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I used this recipe but left out the Old Bay seasoning. None of us likes it.

Seafood Lasagna

Print Prep time
25 mins Cook time
30 mins Total time
55 mins
Author: This Gal Cooks
Recipe type: Dinner
Cuisine: Italian
Serves: 6 servings
Ingredients
1 green onion, white part only, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp + ¼ C butter
½ C chicken broth
2 oz clam juice
½ lb bay scallops
½ lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 oz leg style imitation crab meat, shredded
¼ tsp white pepper, divided
¼ C all purpose flour
½ C heavy cream
¾ C milk
2 tbsp sherry wine
¼ tsp old bay seasoning, plus more for sprinkling on shrimp
⅕ tsp salt
¼ C grated parmesan cheese
1½ C shredded mozzarella cheese
6 no boil lasagna noodles
Watch How to Make Ranch Crunchy Chicken.

Instructions
Sprinkle the shrimp with some old bay seasoning.
In a large skillet, saute green onion and garlic in 1tbsp butter until tender. Stir in the chicken broth, clam juice and sherry. Bring to a boil. Add scallops, shrimp, imitation crab meat, old bay seasoning and ½ of the white pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer until shrimp and scallops are opaque, about 5-7 minutes.
Remove the meat from the liquid and set aside. Remove the liquid and set aside in another bowl.
Melt ¼ C butter in a large sauce pan. Stir in the flour until the mixture is smooth. Gradually stir in the milk and reserved liquid from the meat. Add the remaining white pepper and the salt. Simmer until thickened.
Remove the sauce form the heat and stir in the cream and Parmesan cheese.
Stir half of the sauce in with the seafood mixture and reserve the rest.
Spread half of the reserved sauce into the bottom of a greased 8x8 baking dish. Top with 2 lasagna noodles. Spread half of the meat mixture on top of the lasagna noodles and with half of the remaining sauce. Repeat this process with the remaining lasagna noodles, seafood mixture and sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15 more minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 slice

42"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Thanks bugs.... looks delicious just from the mind putting it together........

I won't use the Old Bay until I plate mine. The rest don't like it. I love it. My brother introduced it to me when he lived in Baltimore MD.... The spice is made there or at least it was. I love it on my corn on the cob drenched in butter and old bay.

43"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:09 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was just tryin' to make Jimmy feel better about scarfin' down an entire loaf pan of the RKT's....I mean, TECHNICALLY, the main ingredient has no fat. (and, YES, I did read about how Tina makes them with a whole bunch of butter......) lol

I've used the store brands of Rice Krispies....NOT a good substitute found yet. They all taste 'stale' to me. Only the original tastes right. So, I just wait to buy them when they're on sale and I have a coupon.

44"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:21 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Fabulous meal, Norm! Looks like you had plenty of cod for everyone. Glad to see you still make your 'non-tartar' sauce....Hahahahaha, boy that was a fun one!

Ohhhhh, Jimmy. I LOVE Tina's potatoes & onions braised in that sausage fat. My mouth waters every time I see 'em.

a carrot tart? Boy, you better explain that one when you can post pics....don't forget! We had roasted cauliflower the other night when I did the party leftovers into a different meal. Good stuff.

Bugs, the seafood lasagna sounds great....I'd sub real crab leg meat for the fake crab ~ just don't care for that at all. One time some lady at the seafood counter 'insisted' I try a sample of her 'wonderful' Krab Salad...."tastes exactly like crab salad" she exclaimed. I told her no thank you but she kept pushing it at me....sure I would love it if I would just taste it. So I did. Spit it right back into the little paper cup and said, (rather loudly) "that tastes like crap!". She wasn't happy. But I DON'T like the fake krab. If I say, "no", let it go and try with the next person....

45"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:22 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:

I was just tryin' to make Jimmy feel better about scarfin' down an entire loaf pan of the RKT's....I mean, TECHNICALLY, the main ingredient has no fat.  (and, YES, I did read about how Tina makes them with a whole bunch of butter......)  lol

I've used the store brands of Rice Krispies....NOT a good substitute found yet.  They all taste 'stale' to me.  Only the original tastes right.  So, I just wait to buy them when they're on sale and I have a coupon.

The buzzer just went off on the computer ( e-mail notify )...and I swear, I am here cutting the rice crispy treats, and laughing about how to disguise how much I am cutting. No No, I don't cut big pieces. That's no fun. I cut small. and eat lots. It feels less fattening that way. I deserve it anyway, because I shoveled plenty of snow today. I burned 8,000 calories, and put back 12,000 with the crispy treats. LOL

46"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:39 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Where is the recipe for the treats Jimmy? Can't make 'em till I know how.

I wouldn't know if imitation crab was good or not. I didn't care for the smell but the others thought it was fine. I think all fish is cat food. I had a cheese sandwich for dinner.

47"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:08 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Jimmy those look great. I have made them before but so easy to buy them lol have you posted Tina recipe and how she makes them so perfect?

BARB...THEY ARE REALLY EASY... Use parchment paper to the pans. A wet rubber spatula in water works great for mounding and shaping the loaf without sticking. The batter IS sticky; just so you know!
Another note is once they are cut...watch when baking on the cut sides. I do 5 minutes on one side, and then flip over and continue to bake only like 3 minutes.
They keep well in a tupperware container.

This is the recipe from Dom Deloise "Eat This"

"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 03LciO

48"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Where is the recipe for the treats Jimmy? Can't make 'em till I know how.

I wouldn't know if imitation crab was good or not. I didn't care for the smell but the others thought it was fine. I think all fish is cat food. I had a cheese sandwich for dinner.

1 + 1/2 sticks of butter.
1 bag of fresh marshmallows.
6 Cups Rice Krispys

In a large NON STICK pan, melt butter, add marshmallows....Stir Stir Stir till they melt and are all a creamy liquid. Add six cups of RK's and blend in. Work quickly. Pour / spoon / scrape mixture into a buttered 13 x 9 pan, and press and flatten out the mixture. Let set and cool, Cut into squares as you eat them.....

Note! I add a teaspoon of vanilla to the marshmallows when it just melts for that extra flavor.

If you read the original recipe, it's on the Rice Krispy box...usually, it says 1/2 stick of butter...Yuck! They come out hard and dry, and even hurts the gums when biting into.
The original recipe is horrible.

Tina's recipe, they are pliable, and much enjoyable to chew and eat.

49"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:28 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Love love OLD BAY. It is a staple around here and when I lived in md.I have all the flavors.

50"DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) - Page 2 Empty Re: "DINNER".....(( MARCH 2015 )) Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:30 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

No rice k for me. Loaded with sugar.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum