Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate!

+3
Imelda HL
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Empty The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:18 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

L I V E R  The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! 411572088 

Yep! Good Ole Beef or Calves Liver.

Mom introduced it to me and my brother, by actually Breading it, and frying it, like chicken fried steak.

Till this day, I can see myself picking up a piece, and biting it, and at the same time, noticing a different taste. Mom said,"What's the matter?"
I said,"Ma, this tastes different!" She said,"It is. It's breaded dark meat of the chicken; just like mom does the thin sliced breast white meat!" The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! 574689230 

duhhhhhh! I said, and I continued to eat. Actually, I acquired a taste for it!
Even Brother Rich! .....

One day, she cooked liver with tons of onions, and we sat down, and miraculously devoured it down.

Tina frowns on making it for me (*she won't eat it ) because she heard organ meat is high in cholesterol !!!......
She does cook it perfect, and I would rather plain beef liver, other than calves liver. I don't like liver too soft. I like it a little on the tough and chewy side.

There was one great dish Mom made. It was her named ( Liver Casserole Italiano )
It was made with small triangle cut thin sliced liver, and I think she soaked it in milk or cream for a couple hours. She floured it, and fried it just to pink inside. She then assembled it in a glass baking pan with potato wedges, bell pepper slices, and mozzarella cheese, and covered with tomatoes and sliced sweated onions and drizzled with olive oil. Added spices like oregano. She baked it in the oven till the cheese was bubbling and slightly browned on top!
Italian Bread & Butter, and that casserole was so delicious.

Mom never wrote the exact recipe, so I can only relate to the visual attention I took while she made it in her cellar kitchen. Now, don't forget, I was around 16, and my thoughts were not that some day I would love to cook what she made.

Tina said the liver should be soaked in butter milk. Maybe that was what the milk was when mom made it?
Tina is going to help me make it one of these days!

SOOoooo! What ways or recipes do YOU have for that Dreaded meat.
Any Liver's actually! Pork / chicken / beef / other??????

2The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Empty Re: The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 am

NormM

NormM

I have always liked chicken liver. We lived in a walk-up two story apartment. On Sundays, the lady down stairs always made fried chicken and when we came home from church, she'd always come out as we were going up the back porch stairs and hand me the liver on a plate with a fork. i had to eat it right there because she didn't want me taking the plate and fork upstairs. No one in her family would eat the liver.

Cassie likes liver so I give it to her when i fry chicken. i eat the gizzard.  Charlie used to like chicken livers but does not anymore.  One chicken place sells livers by themselves and we both love them.

I don't remember how mom made liver or if it was cow or pork. I don't think she cooked it with onions or maybe she did. I think it was just floured and pan fried.  i just don't remember. i ate it. it was good but not as good as 'aunt' Vera's chicken livers.

Last edited by NormM on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:20 am; edited 2 times in total

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Empty Re: The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:17 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I love liver, beef, chicken and pork... we cook beef liver in spicy and coconut milk sauce, we cook chicken liver with onion and sweet soy sauce, same as pork liver.. yum.. I'm glad Dirk likes to eat livers too.. deep fried chicken livers are very good too

4The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Empty Re: The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:26 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

because she heard organ meat is high in cholesterol !!!......

She heard right. That is why I have not eaten it in years.Well besides the time awhile ago,I bought some for the cat.First off chix liver is so cheap.I do not save them from whole chix either.I toss them. Cat would not eat it,she tried to bury it lol So I put on a water chestnut slice then wrapped in Bacon aka rumaki.Broiled them.. Oh man so good. Stupid cat.

KFC has them ..Those big cafeteria style places have them too.Huge hot bins full of fresh made.I took my Mom all the time for them. They were so good too.

I used to make calfs liver & onions (bacon) with mashed potatoes.. Gosh it was good.I soaked it in milk too.

5The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Empty Re: The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:because she heard organ meat is high in cholesterol !!!......

She heard right. That is why I have not eaten it in years.Well besides the time awhile ago,I bought some for the cat.First off chix liver is so cheap.I do not save them from whole chix either.I toss them. Cat would not eat it,she tried to bury it lol So I put on a water chestnut slice then wrapped in Bacon aka rumaki.Broiled them.. Oh man so good. Stupid cat.

KFC has them ..Those big cafeteria style places have them too.Huge hot bins full of fresh made.I took my Mom all the time for them. They were so good too.

I used to make calfs liver & onions (bacon) with mashed potatoes.. Gosh it was good.I soaked it in milk too.

I guess it would be ok to have beef liver once a month?
IFffffffff That's If I can find it in the packed freezer...there is frozen calves liver.
I will A S K Tina to make it for me. It's always better when someone else cooks it!.....

6The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Empty Re: The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

My mom use to make liver and onions for Dane and herself a couple times a year. I never could get it down - but, hey, hot dogs and onions is a FABULOUS meal!

Mom used her cast iron skillet with about 1/4" of oil, got it hot and put a small "grill" pan in the pan to get hot. Then the beef liver got seared just above the oil and turned once....came off about a medium rare.

The two of them loved it.

Who else here remembers the movie "Rosemary's Baby" when Mia Farrow had her kitchen scene with the liver? Nuff said.... The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! 2876911673 

7The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Empty Re: The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:05 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Nothing smells better than calves liver and onions but that's as far as it goes for me.  I just can't get it down.  Tastes kind of gritty to me.  Everyone always says I didn't have it cooked correctly but even the liver prepared by someone who says that tates gritty to me.  

I like a small bit of liver -- say cut up with the gizzard to add to dirty rice, or in rumaki.  I also love patés, too.  I don't mind the flavor but I could never eat, say, a plate of chicken livers like my father did.  But if you ground it up and put it in paté, I'm always up for that.  

In fact, our local grocery Rouse's has a large storemade selection of different patés near the deli -- I try not to look at it 'cause it's not cheap and Brian doesn't like liver of any sort except in dirty rice cut up really small (and not talked about either!).  But every once in a while, I'll buy myself a small little piece of some yummy type paté that I can enjoy later...

8The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Empty Re: The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:16 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Nothing smells better than calves liver and onions but that's as far as it goes for me.  I just can't get it down.  Tastes kind of gritty to me.  Everyone always says I didn't have it cooked correctly but even the liver prepared by someone who says that tates gritty to me.  

I like a small bit of liver -- say cut up with the gizzard to add to dirty rice, or in rumaki.  I also love patés, too.  I don't mind the flavor but I could never eat, say, a plate of chicken livers like my father did.  But if you ground it up and put it in paté, I'm always up for that.  

In fact, our local grocery Rouse's has a large storemade selection of different patés near the deli -- I try not to look at it 'cause it's not cheap and Brian doesn't like liver of any sort except in dirty rice cut up really small (and not talked about either!).  But every once in a while, I'll buy myself a small little piece of some yummy type paté that I can enjoy later...

Chicken livers spread.....I ate like a hog!

One time long long ago, we would get our income taxes done at a accountants like over one hour from here. We would meet with T's cousin, and IF? we got a nice chunk back, we would go to a fancy place to have dinner after the tax appointment.
Well,......We get done, and we get a hefty refund; so we go out to eat.
We find this place in Fanwood,NJ and we find out it is smorgasbord .
OK... here I go; up to the cheese and bread and salad bar, and I see this liver spread. I tried it on pumpernickel bread. It was delicious.
Even during eating crab claws and beef and whatever, I made a point to keep eating the liver spread in between. I had to laugh, because I polished off the complete bowl of the darn stuff. It was so good.

That was the first time I had eaten liver spread.
Well, Now it's time to head home, and all of a sudden, I get a massive belly ache. It was rumbling and groaning and I just made it home, and to the bathroom. It was like Montezuma's Revenge!
Tina said, it could have been the pumpernickel bread too. That has a lot of molasses in it. L O L .... I ate almost a whole loaf.

9The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Empty Re: The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:30 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

It was like Montezuma's Revenge!

That same thing did me in,except it was Key Lime Pie in Key West Fla.Have not eaten it since  No No affraid 

10The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Empty Re: The Most Dreaded Meal 90% Hate! Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:Nothing smells better than calves liver and onions but that's as far as it goes for me.  I just can't get it down.  Tastes kind of gritty to me.  Everyone always says I didn't have it cooked correctly but even the liver prepared by someone who says that tates gritty to me.  

Chicken livers spread.....I ate like a hog!

One time long long ago, we would get our income taxes done at a accountants like over one hour from here. We would meet with T's cousin, and IF? we got a nice chunk back, we would go to a fancy place to have dinner after the tax appointment.
Well,......We get done, and we get a hefty refund; so we go out to eat.
We find this place in Fanwood,NJ and we find out it is smorgasbord .
OK... here I go; up to the cheese and bread and salad bar, and I see this liver spread. I tried it on pumpernickel bread. It was delicious.
Even during eating crab claws and beef and whatever, I made a point to keep eating the liver spread in between. I had to laugh, because I polished off the complete bowl of the darn stuff. It was so good.

That was the first time I had eaten liver spread.
Well, Now it's time to head home, and all of a sudden, I get a massive belly ache. It was rumbling and groaning and I just made it home, and to the bathroom. It was like Montezuma's Revenge!
Tina said, it could have been the pumpernickel bread too. That has a lot of molasses in it. L O L .... I ate almost a whole loaf.

It could have been anything you ate. Not necessarily the liver. I would be more suspicious of the seafood.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum