Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Our Virtual Meal

+3
cookingirl
Imelda HL
bethk
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Our Virtual Meal Empty Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so today we're all going to contribute to our first virtual meal....this one is an Asian themed,,,,,

I'm going to start with some appetizers - gyoza, the steamed/pan fried pork dumplings.  I'd insert my pics and/or recipe here IF I had access to them, but the best I can do is a description of the dipping sauce.  It took me a long time to figure this one out and it's so simple....

To 1/4 c. Soy sauce add 1/4 c. Water, 1 tsp. brown sugar and then some slices of fresh ginger root.  Heat for 30 seconds in the microwave and allow to sit and cool to room temperature.  Remove ginger slices when cool.

Serve with gyoza dumplings.

2Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I have my egg rolls ready... I sauteed ground chicken and a bit finely chopped shrimps with 1 pack of coleslaw, grated ginger, minced onion, garlic and green onion, seasoned with salt, black pepper and a bit of sesame oil and 1 tsp of fish sauce (can be substitute with soy sauce), after it's cooked, I drained out of the juice in a strainer or squeezed with spatula, I let it cool (usually I made it a day ahead and let it sit in my fridge for overnight). Then I thawed my egg roll wrapper, I like Wei Chuan brand, they are thin and really crispy

http://www.philamfood.com/WEI-CHUAN-FROZEN-SPRING-ROLL-SHELL-11OZ.html

I'd roll my egg roll real tight to avoid it become greasy, then I fried my rolls in hot oil, drained the excess oil in a strainer...

I hope you all'd like my egg rolls Very Happy 

my chow mien will be in another post.. actually I'm going to make a big container of it tomorrow for my priest going away potluck at church..

3Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I could really go for one or six homemade egg rolls right now !

I am going to go through the refrigerator and decide which vegetables to include with a stir fry...I have some plum sauce, hoisin sauce, duck sauce and some teriyaki sauce. If I get out a piece of beef I will slice it thin and marinate in one or two of the sauces, some wine and a splash of fish sauce.

4Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:11 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I will pick up the fortune cookies, the pineapple chunks, toothpicks, and tea!!!!Our Virtual Meal 1738318596

5Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

cookingirl wrote:I will pick up the fortune cookies, the pineapple chunks, toothpicks, and tea!!!!Our Virtual Meal 1738318596

hahaha.. good idea though.. and I like your icon lol!

6Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

See, this virtual meal is shaping up to be a feast !

7Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

call me dumb.. scratch I don't get this. Is this for todays meal?

if so I didn't make anything Asian.

8Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No, Barb, this is a "virtual meal" (aka - pretend) that we are all mentally contributing to.  Please tell me you'll bring your beef and broccoli....a pic of it and the recipe or method explanation would be nice.

Then, when we all have our contributions laid out on a giant Internet table we will sit and eat and talk and laugh and watch Jimmy fall asleep in his chair....lol

Oh, and cookingirl....you better be planning to create and exchange those lame commercial fortunes for some really creative ones if you are not planning on baking a few dozen fortune cookies to bring!

9Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:02 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Our Virtual Meal CashewChicken_11

cashew chicken.. how I made it. no clue lol

10Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

BABY CORN !!

I see BABY CORN ! Wow, that looks perfectly wonderful. glad you were able to put it together on such short notice...lol

11Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Our Virtual Meal 2876911673 you are welcome. gosh it looks so good I may have to make it again tomorrow Our Virtual Meal 2876911673 

12Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:37 pm

NormM

NormM

Our Virtual Meal DSCF3121_zps5d1a3c34

Short ribs, (Kahlbi) is done.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

13Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks so much for making SO many, Norm. The short ribs are like potato chips....you just want one piece right after the next....and then another and another!

14Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:11 pm

JanaAZ

I'll make lettuce wraps. Ground chicken, green onions, mushrooms, water chestnuts and Kikkoman's stir fry sauce, along with a little rice wine, a little spice. Saute all together and put in a lettuce cup. I just made these the other day and they were YUMMY!! Whooda thunk I'd need photos for a virtual meal.

15Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Norm... thank you for your Korean ribs.. I love it.. Jana.. lettuce wraps is a good idea too Our Virtual Meal 3593629538 

oh my.. I'm drooling just thinking of these foods Our Virtual Meal 3593629538 

here is my chow mien.. I sauteed 1 head of cabbage + 2 big carrots + onion + 1 red bellpepper + celery and thinly sliced pork loin, season with sesame oil, fish sauce and black pepper.. I made sure I got rid of the excess sauce, for the noodles I used 10 packs of nissin ramen, I made sure I did not overcook them, drained them and seasoned with fish sauce + sweet soy sauce + sesame oil + fried garlic oil , mixed them well, then I place them in a greased crockpot ( to keep them warm).. first I placed a bit of noodles, then added some sauteed veggies, mixed with a tong, repeated again, noodles, then veggies, until all mixed well, then I topped them with some thinly sliced omelet, fried shallots and green onion for garnish

Our Virtual Meal 30

16Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

How interesting is this meal ???

The lettuce wraps are fabulous....and they sound easy enough to make! Sometimes I talk myself out of making something new because I think it's going to be a lot of steps. But the sauce for much of the seasoning makes it a pantry meal, easy for a weeknight.

The same goes for your chow mien, Imelda. Your meals are always so colorful and appetizing.

17Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 am

NormM

NormM

We often make lettuce wraps with rice, bulgogi and kim che. Sometimes we use laver instead of lettuce too.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

18Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm convinced just about anything is tasty wrapped in a crisp lettuce cup or leaf. I like to rinse my lettuce, wrap it in a clean flour sack towel and let it crisp up in the refrigerator for a few hours. I think the cold crispness is a nice contrast to a warm and spicy filling.

19Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Ceee

Great thread, beth!

Love the idea of using the crockpot for the chow mein, Imelda.  

If I could figure out how to make those stir fried green beans like they have on all the Chinese buffets, I would bring those.  Those are my favorite thing on the buffets.  I tried to make some the other night, but they just weren't the same.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears Very Happy.  Maybe it's the preserved vegetables that I'm missing...IDK.

I'll bring my version of Orange Chicken:

Our Virtual Meal Orange_Chicken_with_Broccoli

For the chicken:

Chicken tenders (cut into bite size pieces)
Sherry
Soy Sauce

Cornstarch
Vegetable oil for frying

For the sauce:

1 T vegetable oil
1 T minced garlic
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1 cup Kitchen Basics Chicken Stock
1 tsp soy sauce
red pepper flakes
2 tsp cornstarch

Steamed Broccoli

Sprinkle the chicken tender pieces with sherry and soy sauce.  Place them in the refrigerator for about an hour to marinate.  Drain the chicken tender pieces, dust with cornstarch, and deep fry in  batches until lightly golden brown.

Lightly saute the garlic in the 1 T of oil, add the marmalade, 1/2 cup of the chicken stock, the soy sauce, and the red pepper flakes to taste. Simmer until slightly thickened. Mix together the 2 tsp cornstarch and the remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock.  Add to the sauce mix and continue cooking for a few more minutes. The longer the sauce cooks, the thicker it gets.

Toss together the chicken pieces and sauce to coat.

20Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, Ceee! Orange chicken is one of my favorites !

Re:the Chinese beans. I remember seeing a recipe in a recent issue of Southern Living...probably April or May. There was a recipe from a lady in Carmel, Indiana for the beans. I remember the recipe having soy and brown sugar and I think she blanched the beans before stir fry in a hot wok to blister the beans. I think there was some red pepper flakes as well. If I could fly down to the villa I'd look up the recipe for you. I can see the page in my head...just not the detail....lol

21Our Virtual Meal Empty Re: Our Virtual Meal Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:27 pm

Ceee

I did some reading around and watched some youtubes this morning but wasn't able to find anything from Southern Living. Some people say that the beans in the restaurants are deep fried affraid first. I don't really like that idea, but I'll try anything once bounce .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum