Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poverty Meal

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Poverty Meal Empty Poverty Meal Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:33 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

This is a quick, cheap, easy meal to prepare, plus it's also very good! I especially enjoyed this topped with grated parmesan cheese. You can serve it without the cheese, then it reminds me of Goulash. I came across this recipe back in 2009 at Recipezaar.com, which Malriha originally posted the recipe. This is a very popular recipe, as it has over 500 reviews.

Poverty Meal Poverty%2BMeal%2B01

Poverty Meal

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb. ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt, season to taste (See *Note)
black pepper, season to taste (See *Note)
2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
2 cups water
8 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese, to garnish the dish

In a large deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil. (I used my chicken fryer when preparing this meal.)

Add the ground beef, and cook until the meat has browned 3/4's of the way.

Now add the onion and garlic, and finish browning the meat and onion. Drain off any excess grease.

Season meat and onion with the salt and pepper.

Now add the stewed tomatoes, the can of water, and the uncooked macaroni. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to almost a simmer.

Cook and stir occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes, until the macaroni is cooked through. (Do not cover the skillet while cooking this dish.)

Once cooked, serve immediately, and sprinkle each serving with the parmesan cheese.

This makes: 4 - 5 servings

*Note: If desired, you can substitute Lawry's Seasoned Salt for the table salt, and substitute Lawry's Seasoned Black Pepper for the black pepper.

2Poverty Meal Empty Re: Poverty Meal Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We called that goulash or Johnny Marzetti.....good stuff when you have a bunch of kids to feed!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum