Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Food hoarders

+4
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
NormM
Bugster2
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Food hoarders - Page 2 Empty Re: Food hoarders Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:10 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I am so sorry for your loss. I have been there many times. Since I have been married all of the cats we have prefer my DH over me except my last cat who prefered me over my DH. We lost him ten years ago and I still miss him. I swore I would never get another cat again because it is just too painful to lose them. But here I am with two more cats.
Thanks, Bug. Yeah, it's so freaking sad to lose them but I wouldn't trade it for the world -- just like you.

We'll go get another older laid back cat soon who will hopefully get along with Lola -- I figure a mature fixed male is our best bet for her. She used to fight with the female fixed cat, Retro, who lived next door but no problems since that cat moved away about 6 months ago. I just want to hold Lola so I can tell her that Fred is gone so she'll stop looking for him. But that comforter that he slept on the last night and went to the vet on? We left it downstairs on a sofa when Brian came home and Lola has slept on it every night since -- she burrows in between the folds (it's folded so it's about 3 feet square and thick) and makes a little nest. You can't even see her unless you go pull up a couple of flaps -- and there she is, all tucked in her little nest. I'm sure she must be lonely as I'm lonely for Fred and he was her only feline companion. I'm trying to get ready to go to the shelter but just don't want to start bawling when I get there. My screen name is not a misnomer...

27Food hoarders - Page 2 Empty Re: Food hoarders Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:53 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Ohhhh, I am so sorry to hear this....((hugs)))

Sad 

28Food hoarders - Page 2 Empty Re: Food hoarders Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:Almost all of our cats have "found" us.  The best cat we ever had, Fred, who we had for 15 years, died last Friday.    
Oh, Crybaby, I am so sorry to hear about Fred. But to lovingly care for him and be sure he passed peacefully was the greatest gift you could ever give him.

But I have to tell you, he's probably playing with my brother-in-law's beloved cat who died a little over 6 months ago.......(and get this)......his name was Fred.

Their Fred was also was an "I found you" pet and my sister-in-law and brother-in-law had him for over 10 years. Their Fred was the biggest comfort for BIL since he had a breakdown over 15 years ago and has been uncommunicative ever since. The only obvious joy he seems to have is when the dog and cat are around him and they are the only things he cares for. My BIL goes to Fred's gravesite in the yard and "talks" to him every day, often clipping the blooms from my SIL's flowers to place there in tribute.

When our last cat, Skeeter, had to be put down due to illness I was devastated, too. I knew in my head it was the best and most humane act for our poor little guy since he was in great pain ~ but I didn't want to. I've had to make the decision to put down two cats and one dog in the 45 years we've been married and I vowed to not ever have to make that decision again. Since I'm not really home that much, traveling, etc. it's much easier to NOT have a pet any longer. I would never be able to leave a pet alone and it's certainly too much trauma / expense to have a pet boarded often.

When you feel it's time to find a friend for Lola be sure to discuss the acclimating with the staff at the Humane Society or where ever you go for him. It's usually best to leave the "new" kid in the carrier and allowing the "home" kid to sniff and get to know the new one without personal contact. Then move the new one to a room that can be closed so he can roam and get use to the smells and sounds of the house without having to deal with face-to-face or face-to-behind encounters for a while. Once the two have "met" and are use to each other's odor, then it can be time for some interaction ~ taken slowly it usually works well. But if, for some reason, Lola won't accept him, be sure you can take him back to the shelter so he can find a forever home and try with another at a later date....or just wait until she attracts one and he keeps hanging around.

29Food hoarders - Page 2 Empty Re: Food hoarders Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:12 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:Ohhhh, I am so sorry to hear this....((hugs)))

Sad 
Thanks, cookingirl. I'm crying as I type this...

30Food hoarders - Page 2 Empty Re: Food hoarders Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Thanks for your kind words, Beth, and also for your tips on acclimating a new cat to the home.  

Where we live in Algiers Point, there really are tons of cats and some people around here hate them.  Our local SPCA will lend you traps for free to trap the ferral ones, and then you take them to get fixed for free at the SPCA and return them to the area.  We live right by the river so those cats are good for the area.  

Both Fred and Lola found us (Fred liked humans a lot and Lola is afraid of her own shadow.  I'm still shocked she let us get close to her -- well, she was being hounded by a giant unfixed male from the neighborhood so I guess we looked better than he did).  When she's inside sleeping and she hears the mailman put mail in the box, she wakes up and tears the ground up getting to the third floor!  Brian saw a younger cat pass the backyard yesterday so we both had to laugh.  

Yeah, we have several shelters to choose from and my sister is Exec. Director of one, ARNO (Animal Rescue N.O.) that was formed to rescue, care for and return animals to their owners when they retured to the city after Katrina.  If I didn't get the cat there, she'd probably kill me.  Plus I have leftover insulin ($250 a pop) that I can give them for use there.  And like you said, they know the personalities of all the cats so they will know which ones will give Lola the easiest time.  And they all will take their animals back if necessary, though to Brian and I, that would probably not be an option.

31Food hoarders - Page 2 Empty Re: Food hoarders Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:  And they all will take their animals back if necessary, though to Brian and I, that would probably not be an option.
It's better to explain about Lola and take an older cat on a "trial" than to think she'll grow any more accepting if she hates him from the moment she sets eyes on him. And there is probably one, not quite as old as she is, that will become her best friend. But it has to be an easy going guy who will not try to dominate her. Now that she's alone she will quickly become the Queen of the Castle and will do what she has to so she remains the Alpha Kitty.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum