Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Remember This, That, or The Other?"

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1"Remember This, That, or The Other?"  Empty "Remember This, That, or The Other?" Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:10 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I was sitting here in the kitchen, and remembering the different ways we did things, or mom did!"
I remember opening a can with the old knife shear, and would cut a rough finger cutter top of the can. Watch Out! Then came the lid / can opener, with the Turn the key to open the can. Then the gear teeth would wear down, and that would not do the chore anymore.

The ultimate would be to buy that turn the crank handle to open that can, and the beauty of that, was mount it on the wall or as we had it on the kitchen door frame. Then it could be swung out of the way flat against the frame or wall.
Next came the electric can opener. WOW! If you had one of these, Like we had from Sears Roebuck catalog order, you would be like super lucky, and mom had something to display something modern. And now today, they say 90 % of cans are pull tab lids. If there is a can that needs an opener, they have the hand and electric opener that leaves no sharp edges on the can.

I remember smoking cigarettes'; Mom & Dad & Brother. We had an ashtray in every corner of every room in the house. Outside on the porches, and even in the garage. The car had bean bag ash trays too. pale
How pitiful and crazy that was. LOL
A funny story, was my Aunt came for a visit, and she would get those sample packs of cigarettes, ( There were like 5 in the pack ).
She always included K00L's, and said they were great to smoke when you had a cold. No

So, Just starting this thread to get thoughts and funny things in writing, means everyone can send memories or things you grew up with. Especially how things have changed.... for the good or bad.

I remember having the first Bell Telephone, and we had a party line.
We had a 2 party line, and that meant we shared the same line to communicate, and the Bell company never let us or the other party who we were or where we lived, but it had to be local. I remember mom listening in and had the mouth piece covered with a dish towel, so the other party couldn't tell my mom was listening. If we wanted to use the phone, we would politely let the party we would like the phone use, and if they were nice, they would cut their conversation short. My mom figured out who the other party was, and that was when the crap hit the fan. "Remember This, That, or The Other?"  2787578702

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina came into the kitchen to show me what happened with her tooth. Oh Boy!
Her eye tooth cracked. There goes another $3600.00 I told her to get it pulled, but that went over like a lead balloon. Then I sat here thinking how the dentists worked and the crude implements and fillings they used. I remember the old white bone spit bowl with the water running while he worked and drilled, and every so often he would say spit, or say rinse. Today, is great. They use the vacuum waste extractor that pulls the liquid directly out of the mouth. Wonderful!
When I was younger, the family dentist was Dr. Evenson. He hurt like heck, only because he went light with the Novocain shots at that time. The drill had belts on it, and half the time, the belts would fly off the wheels. There were times when the bit ( drill ) would break in half, or get stuck in the tooth.
Boy did that hurt! As far back as I remember, the dentist we used never had taken Xray's

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Anyone remember milk time in grade school?
I remember the teacher collecting each Childs milk money. White pasteurized milk was 18 cents,
and chocolate was 21 cents- per day. "Remember This, That, or The Other?"  574689230
I remember the little bottles, and the top was held on with a metal wire around it and twisted.
Like a twist tie on a bread wrapper.

At the end of school for summer vacation... ( like we are about to have that now soon ), The teacher would stand up in front of her students, holding the report cards. Just before passing them out
she would announce if any kids were held back from going forward to the next higher grade.
I remembered two that didn't make it, and the teacher said.... "I am very sorry, but Vincent B, and John D, failed.... and Vince and John, you will stay in this grade next year!"

On the way home, the other kids would tease them, and say You Flunked!!
I thought that was horrible to Allow the teacher to make an announcement in that manner...
I always passed, but even my Aunts and Uncles, and even neighbors, would see me, and say,"Did you
pass, or did you Flunk! ? Anyway, they said that to all the kids as they came in conversational contact.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I marched into the bathroom to shave, and I couldn't find my razor. DD is not here, and Tina is sleeping. Someone moved it..... Evil or Very Mad [
So I grab an old Gillet travel blue blade that was in the back of the bathroom closet. I go to shave, and
zap! ...... I knick my chin. Damn! The blade was dull, and no blades. Then I remembered, Dad used to sharpen the blades by sliding them against the inside of a glass jar a few times. Hey! It worked.
LOL Then I remembered, when growing up, and shaving, inside the medicine cabinet, we used to slide the dull old blades, into a slot cut in the back of the cabinet. It would just fill the wall space with razor blades. LOL . Disgusting for sure.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I guess where I went to grade school we had a larger agricultural base for supplies ~ an 8 oz. container of milk was 5 cents.

I remember in 6th grade we could 'volunteer' to work in the cafeteria ~ usually loading the dishwasher or sweeping or wiping off tables & picking up trash. If you 'worked' you got a 'free' lunch ~ saved the 25 cents it cost. I loved being there and getting a hot lunch, especially in the winter.

I always hated that before Mom started working at the grocery store she wouldn't (couldn't) afford paper sacks to put our lunches in. Instead she would neatly wrap everything together using a couple sheets of newspaper & tied it with binder twine (the stuff used to bale straw out in the fields). Don't even suggest we would have purchased 'lunch boxes' ~ that was WAY beyond our means.

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I guess where I went to grade school we had a larger agricultural base for supplies ~ an 8 oz. container of milk was 5 cents.

I remember in 6th grade we could 'volunteer' to work in the cafeteria ~ usually loading the dishwasher or sweeping or wiping off tables & picking up trash.  If you 'worked' you got a 'free' lunch ~ saved the 25 cents it cost.  I loved being there and getting a hot lunch, especially in the winter.

I always hated that before Mom started working at the grocery store she wouldn't (couldn't) afford paper sacks to put our lunches in.  Instead she would neatly wrap everything together using a couple sheets of newspaper & tied it with binder twine (the stuff used to bale straw out in the fields).  Don't even suggest we would have purchased 'lunch boxes' ~ that was WAY beyond our means.

You were right about the brown paper bags. Mom would put lunch in the bag and said to bring the bag back home. We also saved the waxed bread wrappers. The milk was served with a paper straw. There was no such thing as plastic straws. LOL
Today, the kids have a lunch box for each cartoon character on TV.
I remember Maria had wonder woman lunch box. I know there must be a dozen up in the attic someplace.

bethk

bethk
Admin

There's one thing about living on a farm that's pretty cool ~ you never go hungry as long as you LIKE vegetables.

I can remember a lot of suppers in August where the menu was sweet corn (fresh pulled that morning), with butter and s&p, lots of sliced tomatoes with a bit of s&p and (gasp!) granulated sugar and a big bowl of cucumbers & onions that sat in sour cream, cider vinegar, sugar & pepper in the refrigerator for a few hours.

And some how we didn't seem to miss the meat. Well, with 6 ears of sweet corn per person you certainly could get filled up!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina said she has two TV's to bring home from her uncles. EVERY ROOM HERE HAS A tv
so I said bring them home for spares. DD took one, and we kept one. Kind of silly considering we have a tv in every room..... '
NOOoooooo!!!!!..... It was never that way growing up. We had the one tv in the TV Room as we called it. It was a behemoth in size. We had to ask to turn it on. Then there was the wait up time for the tubes to warm up. Then after the picture came on, it would start to roll, and wiggle till it really warmed up.
We didn't have color tv until later. Then there was the TV down in grams house, that was color, but we had to turn off the color to show Black and White. She said the tv hurt her eye's when it was in color....I remember when people would not buy a color TV till they were Perfected! .... Oh! And we would get reprimanded if we sat too close to the TV screen.
The TV lamp had to be on too. It was a low watt lamp just to be dimly lit so the eyes would not cause blindness. And another ridiculous thing, was the ceramic Black Panther on top of the TV. We got that when we sold moms house after her passing, and it sits in the living room in our house this day.
I have no clue as to what it was there for ?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum