Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

"Do YOU Remember ?"

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1 "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 1:04 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Do You Remember......

This one???

I'm sure the women here would remember this classic.
It seems like they always put these on the TV for the kids to scream, "I want That!" ...and just before Christmas....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R9iUdk3EYs

* I thought this would be a good place to put things that were, and are no longer made, or even made better. May it be food / clothes / appliances /  & etc.
Anything that brings back memories!

I love to walk back in time and see these things.  study 

2 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 1:26 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Here I am, lurking around and checking the cabinets and storage places of plenty, and looking for some good cold cereal. No Raisin Bran....No Shredded Wheat. Just those kids sugar smacks or cheerios...

I figured, ok then, i'll have cheerios. Yuck! They are the honey coated ones, and they are stale.
Then I remembered a cereal I loved as a kid. They don't make it anymore. Darn too!
I loved the crunchy long shreds of I guess Corn and Soy.
Does anyone else remember this, and or is there a cereal company that makes something similar??? I'm not familiar with the cereals out there, but gee, one would think that this would come back into the cereal isles.


3 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 2:31 am

Crybaby

avatar
Speaking of cereal, there was a hot cereal when I was a kid called Wheatmeal. Not Cream of Wheat and not Malt-o-Meal but Wheatmeal. It wasn't as "chunky" as oatmeal but definitely tasted like wheat without being soft like Cream of Wheat. No one remembers it but my sister, though, as it was the only hot cereal she'd eat.

I had a bowl of oatmeal about two weeks ago for the first time in probably 25 years. I have some in the cabinet for bread and just felt like some hot cereal. It was really good, too, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Jimmy, gotta tell you that I've never heard of Corn Soya before.,,

4 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 2:54 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Crybaby wrote:Speaking of cereal, there was a hot cereal when I was a kid called Wheatmeal.  Not Cream of Wheat and not Malt-o-Meal but Wheatmeal.  It wasn't as "chunky" as oatmeal but definitely tasted like wheat without being soft like Cream of Wheat.  No one remembers it but my sister, though, as it was the only hot cereal she'd eat.

I had a bowl of oatmeal about two weeks ago for the first time in probably 25 years.  I have some in the cabinet for bread and just felt like some hot cereal.  It was really good, too, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Jimmy, gotta tell you that I've never heard of Corn Soya before.,,

Wheat Meal was a Post cereal product. I remember it was Hopalong Cassidy's favorite, but we kids didn't like hot cereal.

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?ListID=185&ItemNo=97550#pictures

I remember Wheatena....and Maypo. My son Jimmy loved Maypo. Early 70's he was 5.



http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?ListID=185&ItemNo=97550#pictures

5 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 8:17 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
Dad farmed 200+ acres but also worked at the local General Mills factory. Once a week or so he would bring home a "Grab Bag" - a brown paper grocery sack filled with product from damaged cartons in the factory. Once a carton was damaged the contents could not be re-packaged for distribution and sale. BUT, the perfectly fine and undamaged contents could be "sold" to the employees to be taken home and consumed.

The grocery sacks were sealed with tape so no one knew what was inside. We four kids always hoped it would be our favorite cereal in the WHOLE WORLD.....Sugar Jets!

Yea! We got Sugar Jets! We're flyin' high on the amazing amount of sugar they coat the KIX Cereal with! Yea! We got Sugar Jets !!!

6 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 8:21 am

bethk

avatar
Admin
Crybaby wrote:
I had a bowl of oatmeal about two weeks ago for the first time in probably 25 years.  I have some in the cabinet for bread and just felt like some hot cereal.  It was really good, too, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.


Crybaby - if you want to continue to enjoy your oatmeal but don't want to take the time to cook in a pan, it can be made in the microwave in 3 minutes (regular Old Fashioned Oats, not the Quick Cook or Instant....). I make it every once in a while - just a serving at a time, very little clean up and no leftovers.

7 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 10:00 am

Barbara101

avatar
Coke in the bottle.
having lunch at the counter in 5 & 10c store.Woolworth,Kress.
25c burger at MC.D.
Drive in movie

Going to the candy store & candy was .1c.Loved those red lips lol.


Our first TV.small screen in a huge huge cabinet.
Ice man to put ice in the fridge to keep stuff cold.

No air conditioning  Mad 
No bathroom at grandmas..
playing in the rain.
playing outside ALL day.
10c movies
riding my bike with my cat riding in the basket.

going to the lake.wading in the river.Could do this today but ghezz not the same ..

grocery shopping with my grandma at A&P.

Did NOT like camp. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 

8 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 10:33 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:Dad farmed 200+ acres but also worked at the local General Mills factory.  Once a week or so he would bring home a "Grab Bag" - a brown paper grocery sack filled with product from damaged cartons in the factory.  Once a carton was damaged the contents could not be re-packaged for distribution and sale.  BUT, the perfectly fine and undamaged contents could be "sold" to the employees to be taken home and consumed.

The grocery sacks were sealed with tape so no one knew what was inside.  We four kids always hoped it would be our favorite cereal in the WHOLE WORLD.....Sugar Jets!

Yea!  We got Sugar Jets!  We're flyin' high on the amazing amount of sugar they coat the KIX Cereal with!  Yea!  We got Sugar Jets !!!


Oh Boy! You were lucky.
Notice how the cereal company's removed the word "Sugar" from their coated cereals?..... Some silly group complained about how their poor children were addicted to the cereal because of the word "Sugar"...

I remembered we would go to the dentist for our yearly check-up, and Bro would have 3 cavities, and I would have 2 etc. That was 5.00 a cavity or 2 dollars more for novacaine to fix them. Mom was beside herself, and on the way home she would rant...:" NO MORE Sugar Pops for you kids!" ( You know the drill!)

Then she would buy the dreaded Gag Cereal; ....The Quaker Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice.... We kids Hated that cereal. If you didn't eat it in One Minute....it would turn to slimy mushy slippery globs. My Brother would sit there and cry with a mouthful without swallowing because it made him gag.

9 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 11:10 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Barbara101 wrote:Coke in the bottle.
having lunch at the counter in 5 & 10c store.Woolworth,Kress.
25c burger at MC.D.
Drive in movie

Going to the candy store & candy was .1c.Loved those red lips lol.


Our first TV.small screen in a huge huge cabinet.
Ice man to put ice in the fridge to keep stuff cold.

No air conditioning  Mad 
No bathroom at grandmas..
playing in the rain.
playing outside ALL day.
10c movies
riding my bike with my cat riding in the basket.

going to the lake.wading in the river.Could do this today but ghezz not the same ..

grocery shopping with my grandma at A&P.

Did NOT like camp. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad 


Oh Boy! Barb...I really enjoyed all those memories..

The Basket on the Bike was a killer. That was so Mom could send us to the store, and we had someplace to put the groceries.
And God forbid a boy was caught riding a girls bike..Duhhhhh!!!

Going to the candy store with penny's that we got by finding soda bottles and cahing them in. 5 cents a quart size, and 2 cents a 12 Oz.

I remember Grandma had a air conditioner. It was in the Parlor, and I remember it was a Philco. A big old noisy thing in the window with air deflectors that were round, and she would turn it on, and we would let the cool air blow on us to cool off. 10 minutes was enough, and then she would shut it off! Like what the heck was that???? .... She said it's no good because you will get sick and catch a cold if it ran too long! Like wow....instead of 89º in the room, it was now 88º!
Cool Enough??? .... We didn't think so!! pale 

10 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 11:21 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
I had a bowl of oatmeal about two weeks ago for the first time in probably 25 years.  I have some in the cabinet for bread and just felt like some hot cereal.  It was really good, too, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.


Crybaby - if you want to continue to enjoy your oatmeal but don't want to take the time to cook in a pan, it can be made in the microwave in 3 minutes (regular Old Fashioned Oats, not the Quick Cook or Instant....).  I make it every once in a while - just a serving at a time, very little clean up and no leftovers.

When Tina and I were in Lancaster, PA two years ago ( Amish Country)....we ate at a diner in Bird In Hand, and Tina raved at how soft the oatmeal was.
There was a sweet Amish Woman who was our server, and Tina commented about the oatmeal. The woman said, Ooooo"Maybe I shouldn't say this, but the cook makes it with out cooking and stiring it. That toughens the oats the more it boils!"
To break it down, she said,"Boil lightly salted water 2 - 1/8 cup, and as soon as it comes to a boil, add and stir in 1 cup of regular oats, then cover and let it set with no flame / heat!" About 20 minutes,,,it's done, and the oats are puffed up and soft!
Tina couldn't wait to get home and try it...and that is how she cooks her oatmeal from now on!

11 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 8:13 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Barbara101 wrote:Drive in movie


Ice man to put ice in the fridge to keep stuff cold.


playing in the rain.
playing outside ALL day.

riding my bike with my cat riding in the basket.


grocery shopping with my grandma at A&P.



Drive-in movie in your PJ's - with all the homemade snacks because it was too expensive to go to the snack shack.

MILK man leaving the glass bottles of milk with the paper stoppers in the 'insulated' metal box by the door.

We wouldn't think of going inside during the daylight hours...didn't make any sense. All the fun stuff (dirt clods, mud, crabapples to throw at passing cars)....all that stuff was outside.

Riding my bike with playing cards clothespinned to the frame for the 'motor' sound as the wheel turned and the card clicked against the spokes....

Grocery shopping with Grandma and she would just tell the bag boy her license number and hand him the keys and he would load all her groceries in the trunk and turn on the car and a/c (she had a big old Cadillac!) so the car would be cool for her when she got done chatting with her friends.

12 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun May 25, 2014 11:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
bethk wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:Drive in movie


Ice man to put ice in the fridge to keep stuff cold.


playing in the rain.
playing outside ALL day.

riding my bike with my cat riding in the basket.


grocery shopping with my grandma at A&P.







Drive-in movie in your PJ's - with all the homemade snacks because it was too expensive to go to the snack shack.

MILK man leaving the glass bottles of milk with the paper stoppers in the 'insulated' metal box by the door.

We wouldn't think of going inside during the daylight hours...didn't make any sense.  All the fun stuff (dirt clods, mud, crabapples to throw at passing cars)....all that stuff was outside.

Riding my bike with playing cards clothespinned to the frame for the 'motor' sound as the wheel turned and the card clicked against the spokes....

Grocery shopping with Grandma and she would just tell the bag boy her license number and hand him the keys and he would load all her groceries in the trunk and turn on the car and a/c (she had a big old Cadillac!) so the car would be cool for her when she got done chatting with her friends.
OMG..... that was so funny at the drive in in our pj's
If we were good, mom would give us money to get an ice cream cone. She felt sorry that we had to watch the little elf on the intermission screen lick his uce cream cone.....It took him 12 minutes to eat that ice cream, and bro and I would joke that we could eat ours in 5 minutes.
If... We...Had One... (with a pout on our faces)
We didn't care about the pj's....there were 50 kids up at the snack bar in pj's.

Boy, your Gram was a smart cookie!

13 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Wed May 28, 2014 12:45 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
Anyone remember these?

I'm sure we bought them for the kids or family kids at one time or another.

I got caught with a few in school as a kid.
Some teachers would store them till the last day of school for summer vacation, and give them back to us; and then there were the teachers who gave them to the janitor to burn in the boiler.
Water pistol


The kids today don't play with them. They are modern kids now a day. They use those pain ball guns.

It was such simple fun, and we would get a kick squirting people as they walked by, and we were hiding in the bushes.
The squirt pistols were mostly boy's toys, but some girls had one. Especially at the pool or playgrounds.

14 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Wed May 28, 2014 3:15 am

Crybaby

avatar
Uncle Jimmy wrote:Wheat Meal was a Post cereal product. I remember it was Hopalong Cassidy's favorite, but we kids didn't like hot cereal.

http://www.hakes.com/item.asp?ListID=185&ItemNo=97550#pictures

Wow, Jimmy -- no one had ever heard of it before. Thanks for the link, too. I have to confess that I didn't remember the box, which must mean that my mom was making it for us. It sure was good. I used to like both Cream of Wheat and Malt-o-Meal, too -- pretty much any hot cereal.

15 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Wed May 28, 2014 9:29 am

NormM

avatar
I have a water gun in one of the kitchen drawers. I keep it to squirt on charcoal when it flares up.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

16 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Wed May 28, 2014 11:22 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
NormM wrote:I have a water gun in one of the kitchen drawers. I keep it to squirt on charcoal when it flares up.

I hope you don't keep it in the drawer "Loaded"?  lol! 

The dreded horror when we were kids, was a leaker. It was Duco cement ( the sniffing glue ) that we would use. It rarely worked, and a new one was too much piggy bank money.

Mom would usually pick one up for us at Woolworths, or SS Kresge's.

We were easy to please as kids. My Goodness, we would spend hours outside if Mom would buy us a 5 pack of caps (for the cap pistols )...and we would sit on the sidewalk and whack them with a stone. Like a couple of Neanderthal kids.
Oh! The simple times! Basketball 

17 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Wed May 28, 2014 11:40 am

Barbara101

avatar
NormM wrote:I have a water gun in one of the kitchen drawers. I keep it to squirt on charcoal when it flares up.

those flare ups scare the crap out of me. affraid 

18 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Thu May 29, 2014 4:32 pm

Crybaby

avatar
I used to ride around with a bunch of my female friends who didn't have a date on Friday nights. We all had water guns, and we used to stop by a Burger King to "fuel up" when we needed to (although ours guns had extra "water magazines" that we could fill them with until those, too, ran out). At the time (high school), you could drive down Bourbon Street. We'd head there and then with all of the car windows down, we'd select people to squirt.

I know, I know -- it was stupid but it was also a blast (we were 16 and 17). We quickly decided women were off limits, and thus we squirted men only. Usually good looking men! Most people laughed it off once they realized who was shooting them. Most people looked up, which, of course, made us laugh even harder. The problem was some people would get P.O'd (which I totally understand) and they'd chase us. Well, the traffic would back up on Bourbon and sometimes too quickly for me (the driver, of course) to reach an intersection to turn off. The car got kicked once (thank God, it was just a footprint and not a dent, as it was my mom's car).

My dad took the car into the repair shop and that night told me that he threw away the six squirt guns he found in the glove box. Asked me if I knew anything about them. I said, "Yeah, they were mine," and he just laughed. Many years later I told him what we were up too and he howled.

19 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Thu May 29, 2014 4:59 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
Gosh, Crybaby, wasn't that a fun time? Sure, maybe someone got upset and chased you but at least none of you girls had to be afraid of being shot with a real weapon or stabbed or seriously injured because of a silly prank.

I can remember pulling up to a red light and everyone in car jumping out and running around the car before piling back in before the light changed. It was called a 'Chinese Fire Drill' ~ no idea why it was called that (maybe someone can enlighten me some 50 years later). We also use to drive around with a telephone receiver attached to a long curly phone cord. We would pull up to someone at a light and hold the phone out to someone in the car in the next lane and tell them, "telephone for you!"

20 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Fri May 30, 2014 12:03 pm

Crybaby

avatar
We did that Chinese Fire Drill, too.  We also did it dancing around the car.  We also wrapped our hand around each other's face and then kissed our hand so it looked like two chicks kissing -- I know, stupid, stupid, stupid but the reactions in nearby cars were priceless.  I should mention that I went to a Catholic girls school with uniforms and name tags.  You ALWAYS had to make sure you removed your name tags.

Did you guys take your feet off the floor and touch the inside top of the car with both hands anytime you went under an overpass or thru a tunnel?  Of course, the driver did it along with the passengers.  (I heard a teaser on the news the other day where I think someone was doing this and caused a head on crash.)  

I took the public bus home from school each day (a long ride -- I'd leave school at 2:20 p.m., race to the bus stop, then transfer to another bus and would get home about 2 hours later at best).  I never misbehaved on the bus but often, I would get on there and some other asses from my school would be acting like jerks.  I'd remove my name tag and put it in my purse.  The next morning, on the public address system (that term dates me, no?), the nun would say, "We had a report of misbehavior by some of our students on the Lakeshore bus.  We know who you are.  Please report to the office on your own."  Of course, they had no clue who the kids were so everyone would kind of snicker at the ever-present "we know who you are" line.

21 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Fri May 30, 2014 12:17 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
I don't remember anything any different than the telephone & Chinese Fire Drill....we did, however, all chip in a quarter for gas so we could drive around all night. This was when gas was around $0.28/gal......man, them were the days!

I worked at a Howard Johnson's Restaurant when I was 16 and had to wait on the snotty girls from the private school down the street. Man, I wished I had the nerve to spill something on their uniforms. They taught me what 'mean girls' were all about.

22 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Fri May 30, 2014 1:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
I was driving when I was in high school ( 16 in PA ) and I really never had a car of my own. Even most of my friends had no car.

There was one (Joe) that we would all get to sleep in an extra 45 minutes because we wouldn't have to walk to HS. We really never communicated anything back then. Some times Joe would not be allowed to use his own car because he was being punished for something.
That happened, and we would have to Run To Get to school on time.

There were no phone calls either. We knew that phone ringing would piss of the parents, and it would get you in trouble. If my mother found out I was ringing Joes house at 7 AM...I would get my fingers broken!

So basically, it would be a surprise to find out Joe was sick, and not going to school that day, or Joes car was broken.

Sometimes the car wouldn't start, and we would push Joe and the car, and catch it in gear (popping the clutch to roll the engine over) , Sometimes that didn't work.

I had a car..hahaha..when I met Tina and started dating her. She had a clunker that she used to pick up her mom at the handbag factory where she worked.

One thing I do remember though, is driving and sipping on a few beers that sat in a 6 pack on the bench seat. So what the heck, a couple nice cold beers on a hot day, and relaxing while driving, was the in thing back then. U N T I L !!!!!!...... The Laws Changed, and the States woke up.
There was a period that 18 was allowed to purchase beer, but not wine and spirits. Then in a few years, the put the age back to 21.

23 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Fri May 30, 2014 9:31 pm

bethk

avatar
Admin
ah, yes....Ohio had an 18 yr. old drinking OK for 3.2% beer. I was never a beer lover (still not) but it was a right of passage to go out and purchase a 'legal' beer for your 18th birthday. Woo Hoo...drive to one of the bars near the local university and drink your first (legal) beer with a bunch of drunk frat boys at the next table.

24 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sat May 31, 2014 1:16 am

UNCLE JIMMY

avatar
I hated doing the beer run. I was 13, and I would have to take 5 empty quart bottles of beer...in my wagon in a brown bag, and drive to the back of the bar in the alley, and ring the bell at the back kitchen door, and then Rosie or her son Johnny, would say Hello dear, and then say...5? I would say yes, and hand her the money right to the penny that mom rolled up in tin foil. Rosie or her son Johnny would then place the full ones in the wagon, and say..."Now go right home fast!"....

I just hated that; because I knew it was illegal.

25 Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:26 am

Crybaby

avatar
Louisiana was the last state to change its drinking age to 21 -- and that was only because the Feds were going to withhold federal highway funds. It's still kind of a joke as you can get INTO a bar at 18 but you can't drink until 21. Well, you know others in the bar buy drinks for the ones under 21. We also STILL have drive-thru frozen daiquiri places. You can't get cited for drinking in the car if the top is still attached to the to-go cup you're given containing the daiquiri.

When I was young, you could drive at 15, too (now it's 16). When I was in sixth grade, there was this guy Ronald who was 15 and still in the sixth grade. He used to drive to school! No lie! That was in the days where they didn't call on the really dumb people or those with a speech impediment. Shameful. But Ronald was a big wheel of sorts, I guess, because of that driver's license...

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum