Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Meatloaf & Salisbury Steak ~ same mix, different finishes

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Meat Loaf (and Salisbury Steak Patties)

1 ½ lb. Lean Ground Beef (85% lean)
1 lb. Bulk Breakfast Sausage (tube pkg such as Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean brand)
1 c. Dry Bread Crumbs – plain or seasoned
2 Eggs – beaten
1 – 8 oz. can Tomato Paste
½ c. Chopped Onion
½ c. Grated Carrot
½ c. Chopped Celery
1 ½ t. Salt
1 t. Pepper
1 t. Dried Thyme
1 t. Dried Marjoram

Saute onion, carrot & celery in evoo until tender ~ sometimes I need to add a bit of water & a lid to speed the process. Cool.

Add all ingredients to large bowl. Mix together until all incorporated. (easiest if you use your hands – I wear food-grade disposable gloves). Free form loaf on a foil or parchment lined rimmed baking pan or press into a 9 X 4 X 3 loaf pan. Top with glaze if desired. Bake @ 350* for 1 hour – 1 ¼ hour or until internal temperature reaches 165*.

Glaze: Mix 3 Tbs. Brown Sugar, 1 t. Dry Mustard, 1 t. Dry Ginger, ¼ t. Ground Nutmeg. Stir in ¼ c. Ketsup. Spoon glaze over top of meat before baking.

Salisbury Steak with Gravy

Meat mixture can be formed into patties to make Salisbury Steak & Gravy. I often mix up, form into patties and freeze on plastic lined sheet tray until frozen, then store in zip loc plastic bag and remove/thaw only what I need for a meal.

Dredge thawed patties in a bit of seasoned flour. Brown patties in hot evoo. When browned (but not cooked through) remove from pan and brown some sliced mushrooms & a sliced onion, deglaze pan w/1/2 c. red wine. Reduce for a few minutes and scrape bits from pan. Add a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup and mix. When combined and a disgusting pink color, add 1 c. beef stock (I use it from a box or a can of beef consommé thinned with 1 can water) and add the meat patties back to the pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for approximately 30 minutes, turning patties over a couple times. If gravy (after 30 minutes it turns a much more appealing dark brown) isn’t thick enough, remove the lid and continue over medium heat until reduced.

Serve with mashed potatoes or hot buttered noodles or rice.

JanaAZ likes this post

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum