Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CHRISTMAS 2021

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CHRISTMAS 2021 Empty CHRISTMAS 2021 Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:32 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

What do you prep for dinner on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day? I really have no idea what I want to cook for the side dishes, I have a 7 lbs bone-in Choice Rib-eyes roast ( Christmas Eve) and a 10 lbs spiral ham ( Christmas day) in my fridge. I (we) don't feel want to eat too much so I don't want to cook much, just some basic meal.

bethk likes this post

2CHRISTMAS 2021 Empty Re: CHRISTMAS 2021 Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:51 pm

JanaAZ

Usually in Christmas Eve I do a version of seven fishes but this year, I can’t get what I need so Steve asked for this mussel soup I make and darn if I can’t get the mussels. So….I’m friends with the owner of one of our local restaurants and asked if he could order mussels for me. He said he would so hopefully it will happen

For Christmas Day I’m maki g standing rib roast, popovers and asparagus. I finally got popovers to pop at high altitude. Finally.

Here’s the soup I made him a few years ago. I’m allergic to mussels so when he had this dish in Amsterdam, I asked him to describe it to me and the. I tried to make something close to it. After a few tries, he said it was right. Shocked.

CHRISTMAS 2021 30be7610

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

3CHRISTMAS 2021 Empty Re: CHRISTMAS 2021 Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our Christmas dinner is fairly simple. We do a prime rib (last year was beef tenderloin as there were just four of us), mashed potatoes, this year we're doing oven roasted vegetables: carrots, parsnips & asparagus and we'll have a salad.....this year it will be a Strawberry/Spinach/Romaine/Red Onion salad. The original recipe came from a long time restaurant and was quite 'famous'. I've adjusted it to add some romaine lettuce because I like it mixed with the fresh spinach.

Strawberry Spinach Salad

1 ½ lb. Fresh baby spinach (washed & dried)
½ Pt. Strawberries, sliced
½ Small Red Onion, sliced thin into rings (allowed to sit in ice water to sweeten)

Poppy seed Dressing:
Whirl ½ c. Sugar, 1 t. Dry Mustard, ½ t. Salt and ½ c. Cider Vinegar in a blender or with hand blender. Gradually add 1 c. Vegetable Oil. When incorporated, stir in 1 T. Poppy seeds by hand.

Arrange spinach, onion slices and strawberry slices on individual plates. Drizzle lightly with Poppy seed Dressing. Serve immediately.

I'll make the mashed potatoes on Thursday or Friday and reheat them for our meal. I always add some stewed onions (chopped onions simmered in butter until mushy), cream cheese & sour cream so I can make them ahead and not have a 'left-over' potato flavor.

Dessert will be assorted cookies (probably some Lyn has purchased) and a Cherry Crostada I make every year for Bill as Christmas Day is his birthday.

The beef is so rich that we've found we don't need as many side dishes as we used to....

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

4CHRISTMAS 2021 Empty Re: CHRISTMAS 2021 Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:40 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I think I'm going to make some roast vegetables, I'm going to get some asparagus, Brussel Sprouts, roast them with carrots. Some mashed potatoes ( also with cream cheese ) and maybe lettuce wedge to go with my ribs. Some sauteed kale with corns, leftover mashed potatoes for my ham on Christmas day. Maybe I'm going to bake some dinner rolls, we'll see

bethk and cookingirl like this post

5CHRISTMAS 2021 Empty Re: CHRISTMAS 2021 Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Happy Christmas Eve, everyone!

It's nice to have a 'combined' Christmas Dinner. Lyn has the rib roast ready for me to roast at her house and the vegetables to put in the air fryer, as well as the spinach & strawberries for the salad.

All I have to do today is make the mashed potatoes to reheat tomorrow (Bill's get cooked without salt and put into a separate casserole dish just for him) and make the salad dressing.

Tomorrow morning I'll bake his cherry crostada and then we'll take off for their house.

There will be 9 of us altogether....all from Toledo, Ohio. Two still live there and are staying with Lyn & Bill for a week.

cookingirl likes this post

6CHRISTMAS 2021 Empty Re: CHRISTMAS 2021 Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:47 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Merry Christmas to all!

My Christmas Eve got cancelled early this afternoon. I was going over to my Cousins. It turned out that his early 20's year old daughter, who lives at home---testing positive for Covid....

They had Covid earlier in the year!!

She has mild symptoms.. glad they checked her out. and cancelled..

Tomorrow:
The other side of the family~~ another cousin.
I am not so worried about Covid.. concerned... but... My cousins Wife is a retired nurse.
Dinner is at their son's home. He is a regional sales person for a really big air purifier company. The type Dentists use. They have a contract with the Dental Society.

My cousin's son has a very big air purifier in the living area---open concept design. That was before Covid. I can only imagine what they have now..

Dinner is: Rib Roast, popovers, gravy, not sure what veggies.. last time there were roasted brussel sprouts with bacon and freshly grated Parmesan cheese... they were delicious..

I think mashed potatoes; for the gravy...

And COOKIES>.. tons of cookies...

Really too much food.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

7CHRISTMAS 2021 Empty Re: CHRISTMAS 2021 Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:29 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Christmas Eve dinner, very minimalist, so not much to clean up or stock up for leftover

I marinated my ribs the night before with Onion soup mix packet, added some ranch seasoning powder, this year I only cooked about 4 ribs, I kept the rest in my freezer for later, I separated the bones, but I roast them together in one big pan, I only served the meat part, I'll have the bones later for snacking. I slow roasted them (250'F) for 2 hours, then 450'F for 30 minutes, covered 15 minutes before slicing it, the ribs came out so juicy and pink, perfect for them, I had to nuke for another 30 seconds in microwave for mine.

For the side dishes, I made some mashed potatoes with cream cheese, roasted some asparagus, made some salad with zucchini, carrots, lettuce, bellpepper and cherry tomatoes, the dressing was olive oil/lemon juice/honey/salt and blackpepper. And oh, I made some Popovers with muffin pans, no idea how it turned out, never made them, never ate them, I know they like them. When I look at my pictures, I really how messy our dining table was  Rolling Eyes  oh well

CHRISTMAS 2021 C4f88710
CHRISTMAS 2021 A2d43510
CHRISTMAS 2021 56086a10

CHRISTMAS 2021 9db62c10

8CHRISTMAS 2021 Empty Re: CHRISTMAS 2021 Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your meal looks lovely, Imelda. I'll bet there was nothing but compliments and two grateful people who love every meal you make!

I love that you make popovers but neither know what they are or how they taste but make them (and they look good to me!) for the ones you care for. That's the true meaning of Christmas!

9CHRISTMAS 2021 Empty Re: CHRISTMAS 2021 Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm posting my pic in both the daily thread and here in the holiday one so if I want to find it later I can! LOL

Lyn had 9 for dinner ~ a huge hunk of prime beef. And, as usual, I was sweating praying I didn't mess it up! But it came out just right. We had 2 who prefer their beef a little more well done so we just put two slices in the air fryer for about a minute and they were good to go!

And for as good as the beef was (and is usually the star of the meal) the dish that got the most comments & compliments was the air fried vegetables ~ carrots, parsnips, Brussels sprouts & asparagus. Each got air fried by themselves and then dumped together on a sheet pan that we kept warm in a 200° oven. Simply seasoned with a sprinkle of salt when they were cooked & put together.

CHRISTMAS 2021 12_25_23

cookingirl likes this post

10CHRISTMAS 2021 Empty Re: CHRISTMAS 2021 Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:44 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Your meal looks lovely, Imelda.  I'll bet there was nothing but compliments and two grateful people who love every meal you make!

I love that you make popovers but neither know what they are or how they taste but make them (and they look good to me!) for the ones you care for.  That's the true meaning of Christmas!

Thanks Beth, I read Jana's post about making Popovers, I read about it before and I knew they need a special pan, but  I read the recipe from King Arthur using muffin pans, so I gave it a try, it was easier than baking dinner rolls.

Today I baked a 10 lbs spiral ham, it turned out so beautiful, I'm not a big fan of ham, but I know ham is always their tradition for Christmas dinner. I glazed it with lemon/honey glaze. I made some Scalloped potatoes, I forgot to boil them before I put them in the casserole pan, it took an hour to bake and the potatoes were still a bit hard, so I cooked them in microwave for additional 3 minutes, and they were tender and good. I roasted some veggies, carrot, Brussel's sprout, bellpeppers, seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. We had delicious dinner, now it's 11.30 PM when I'm posting this, I smell somebody is fixing supper, I smell toast, D is making ham/cheese sandwich. Tomorrow and the next day they will have more ham sandwiches  Laughing

CHRISTMAS 2021 Christ11
CHRISTMAS 2021 Christ12
CHRISTMAS 2021 Christ10
CHRISTMAS 2021 Christ13

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum