Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2021 New Year ~ Better times are coming (?)

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here's hoping 2021 is better than most of 2020......I'm thinking of staying up on New Year's Eve, not to celebrate but to be sure 2020 actually leaves!

A friend said I should open the door at 11:59 p.m. and use my left foot to kick 2020 out the door so that I land on my right foot for 2021!

I'm trying to decide if I should have pork & sauerkraut for my traditional German/northern New Year's Day meal or if I should go with my adopted southern meal of beans/peas, ham, greens & cornbread.......

Decisions, decisions, decisions..............

I'm really leaning to the southern side ~ I like both meals but I just had pork & sauerkraut and it's been ages since I made a pot of black eye peas with ham hock and collard greens.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was looking online for some ideas of different (to me) Southern traditional dishes for New Year's Day and I came across this bit of information:

What Not to Eat on New Year's Day

As much as you might want to go all out with a seafood dinner on this holiday, it may not be the best idea. Some believe that lobster could cause bad luck because they can swim in a backwards direction, which could mean setbacks in the year ahead. For the same reason, eating chicken could be bad luck. The birds scratch backward, plus they're winged so your luck could fly away.

I have a 'menu' set for New Year's EVE when neighbor Jim is coming ~~~ A bunch of appetizers are planned:

Butter Poached Lobster
Grilled Beef Tenderloin Bites w/crostini
Hot Crab Dip w/bagel chips
Shrimp Cocktail

Using the referenced New Year's Day warnings it could just be the 'perfect' menu to keep the bad luck in 2020 and not allowing it to dampen the New Year!

LOL

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

New Year's Day menu is set:

Ham
Black Eyed Peas
Collard Greens
Hoe Cakes / Johnny Cakes

The ham I got is a Smithfield Smokehouse Reserve (I know, I know.....but it was either that or a store brand that I've tried before that was WAY too salty). I'm thinking, just in case, I'll heat it in a skillet of water to help rinse some of the saltiness and then bake it for 30 minutes. The black eyed peas (beans) will be made from dried beans, cooked in some ham stock I have from simmering smoked hocks. The collard greens will also be cooked in some of the ham stock and have the addition of the hock meat, what there is of it.

I did a practice of my hoe cakes this morning ~ I decided I'm going to deviate from Southern tradition and add a bit of sugar because otherwise I'm not a fan. They're just little cornmeal pancakes that will be our 'bread' to soak up the pot likker from the collard greens.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to do a change of plans for New Year's Eve.

I originally planned on an appetizer evening. I thawed out the leftover king crab leg meat that I had saved in the freezer from the times Jim bought crab for our dinner. I had 12 oz. and it looked really good. I was going to make a big dish of crab dip with cream cheese and seasonings.

I mixed it up and decided to try just a bit in a custard cup ~ it was fishy tasting when heated in the toaster oven. Not what I expected or wanted. So, it got tossed.

Changed the menu for Jim ~ it will be the last of the beef tenderloin roast (this piece is a full 1 lb.) that I'll have with mashed potatoes and asparagus. He'll be a happy camper.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

New years eve will be cheese and crackers ( DD will set up )

Wine ......beer...... sweet wine for Tina.
Those little cocktail wieners in the wrap. Kielbasa.... cheese dip of some sort.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

After dragging my feet since before Christmas, I finally bought a ham with bone-in, it was hard to find ham under 10 lbs, yesterday D went and got 1, 11 lbs, I cut it and separate it in several ziploc bags, I put some bags in the freezer and left 2 bigger parts for today and tomorrow, I'm going to bake 1 part with canned pineapple, I'm boiling 1 smoked ham hock with lots of water, later I'll sautee some Collard greens and add some ham broth, some steamed canned green bean and mashed potato ( potatoes are boiling in the pot together with my ham hock ).

Tomorrow will be Black eye peas soup ( their traditional NY meal, I'll cook it with the bone part of my ham (ham is not my favorite except the bone part), I'll add some frozen veggies and maybe a cup of rice in my soup, it will be one pot meal, maybe some crackers or toast to go with

After dinner today, we are heading to our empty house, D is afraid some punks might break in and have a NY party in it, we might camp there for the night, as there might be a lot drunk drivers on the highway after midnight  

Happy New Year to you all, we wish a much better 2021

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

New Year's Eve supper: Restaurant style served lobster & beef tenderloin, mashed potatoes, asparagus & French bread:

2021 New Year ~ Better times are coming (?) 12_31_12

2021 New Year ~ Better times are coming (?) 12_31_13

I found a peach pie in the freezer so we had dessert!

2021 New Year ~ Better times are coming (?) 12_31_14

2021 New Year ~ Better times are coming (?) 12_31_15

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

NormM

NormM

Happy New Year to all

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

thanks norm.....   same to you!

It is quiet here. Tina on the recliner..... me in the kitchen in the corner.
Maria and Lenny chilling out. He just came home from working in Philly.

God bless everyone.

See you all next year! ..... hahahahahahaha

This was supper. Sausage & Meatballs....

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gee, Jimmy ~ seems your memory is slipping.......

"This was supper. Sausage & Meatballs.... "

(( NO pic inserted ?????? ))

Hahahahahahaha

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Gee, Jimmy ~ seems your memory is slipping.......

"This was supper. Sausage & Meatballs.... "

(( NO pic inserted ?????? ))

Hahahahahahaha

NO! .... it is this computer that couldn't find the picture.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lucky Southern New Year's Supper:

2021 New Year ~ Better times are coming (?) 01_01_16

Ham (pork) is lucky because pigs root forward, the collards represent green money, the black eye peas represent coins and the hoe cakes/cornmeal cakes represent gold.

NormM

NormM

We had the same thing we always have on New Years Day and even though we only have it once a year, we are both getting tired of it. Maybe next year I'll try Hoppin' John instead. Charlie likes rice and beans so maybe he will like Hoppin' John.  Charlie really dislikes blackeyed peas by themselves so I made them as a dip for corn chips and he did like that. He ate almost half of it.  We had collard greens, ham hocks, and navy beans instead, cooking them instead of blackeyed peas with the ham and collards. 2021 New Year ~ Better times are coming (?) 20210111
2021 New Year ~ Better times are coming (?) 20210110

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, your hocks look amazing! The only kind I ever find have a thumbnail amount of meat, the rest being bone, skin, fat & gristle ~ good flavor but no meat to speak of.

Nice meal!

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth. It is hard to find HAM hocks. Most stores have pork hocks and the only claim to the word pork is that they came from a pig, not that they have any more than a bite of meat. Mostly skin, bone and fat. Last year I asked the guy at the meat counter if he had any ham hocks and he pointed to the ones like you and I usually find. I told him those weren't ham and he said they were the same thing. I picked up a pork chop and asked if this was a ham steak. It took a while but he finally got the point. There is a smokehouse in Missouri that makes country hams and this year I found some ham hocks (shanks actually) made by them. They are Burgers Smokehouse.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had corn beef hash, shrimp, and scallops.
Fruit cake for dessert.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did something a little different (for me) when cooking my black eye peas this year.  I'll probably use the same method for any dry beans I cook from now on.

It was something I read on some internet site talking about the pros & cons of soaking peas/beans overnight vs: quick cook.  As Norm has mentioned before, I've found that there's not a lot of advantage to an overnight soak.  The beans get tender just by cooking.

But what I did differently this year was to bring the black eye peas to a boil using plain water for about 5 minutes, stirring them around.  I noticed there was a lot of 'scum' on the top of the pot and the water was really muddy looking.  I drained the pot and rinsed it a couple of times, each time removing some of the hulls that had already released from the beans.  It was as if all the impurities were drained off and the peas were lighter in color (it could have been my imagination......but I'm stickin' with a lighter color).

After a couple rinses I returned them to the pot and cooked them in my ham stock & added the rest of the veg (onion, jalapeno & thyme) and bits of chopped ham to cook until tender.  I did have to run to the store for a can of Rotel Tomatoes & Peppers as I found there wasn't even one can in my pantry.  We do like that little bit of tomato in our peas.

NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth ...... thank you for the scientific investigative experiment with the b e a n s .
For that.... you get to hear the Jimmy's Bean song.

Beans Beans the musical fruit, .......you know the rest... Ha Ha Ha!

No... seriously. That is one thing for us to try. Also, they say, don't salt the beans until the end of cooking.

NORM. I remember way back when you had beans that took forever to soften??? am I right? ...
I also remember ( Norm ), mentioned the rinsing of rice like 4 or 5 times so it cooks with less starch and less sticky.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight was cod with tomatoes and okra and corn.
Tina made split pea soup, and a chocolate cake with white butter cream icing.2021 New Year ~ Better times are coming (?) Ocra10

2021 New Year ~ Better times are coming (?) Okra10

2021 New Year ~ Better times are coming (?) Okra210

bethk

bethk
Admin

I WANT CAKE !!!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made a small pot of beef stew. It was delicious.

She had eye surgery over a month ago. Poor thing went to get glasses.
Came home, and the nose pad fell off. Now her eye is hurting.
Went to the surgeon and he said her eye is infected. The girl at the eye glass place was pissy and moody, because she adjusted the nose piece, and she didn't set the glue properly. Tina told her for $700.00, they better make good for it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thread Closed ~ (see 'What's Cooking' January, 2021)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum