Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen?

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 10]

201August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:41 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Lyn & I had a 'Get-Outta-Dodge' in Orlando Day.  One of her cars needed serviced so we always volunteer to take it the hour drive just so we can play all day.  Bill knows to make the service appointment for late morning so after the car is serviced we can head to lunch and then off to shopping where ever we happen to want to go.  Today was Macy's where we BOTH found some tops to buy ~ ON SALE !!! ~ and clothing shopping is my very LEAST favorite thing to do.  Portly women are seldom clothes hogs.....we don't like trying on clothes and we hate the sizing tags in the neckline....so when we get them home we cut them off!  LOL

We ended going to lunch at a place called Seasons 52.  Our waiter was a joy and the food was fantastic.  Lyn loves that she and I can order appetizers and just split whatever, and that way we get to try more different dishes.  We had an order of grilled baby artichokes with vegetables and hummus, and I have to say, it was the very best hummus I've ever tasted.  It was super smooth, not at all grainy as some can be, and it was NOT garlic forward, if it had any garlic at all.  The grilled artichokes were also fantastic.  Then there was a four mushroom flatbread ~ to die for!  The crust on the flatbread was super thin, like thick typing paper.....but crispy, even covered with wall-to-wall mushrooms and held up when you took a bite. She is always so generous to share with me and not have GOAT CHEESE on the flatbread, which is the way it's normally served.

The restaurant menu was interesting as there were no sandwiches and nothing deep fried ~ a wood fired oven for a lot of what they served.  And just a lovely setting next to a lake in a sun drenched dining room.  And there wasn't a lot of noise ~ we could hear each other have a conversation but not the people surrounding us.  All in all, a perfect luncheon/dinner place.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 08_28_11

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 08_28_12

Beth, did you have any of the dessert shooters at Seasons 52? They are so good! Nice and small, just enough and not too much to have to bring it home.

My husband ALWAYS cuts out the labels on anything new he buys. It actually annoys me because he tends to buy the same brands over and over and when he wants something new, I ask him what size he wants and he can't remember. Labels don't bother me unless they are scratchy, then I cut them out.

202August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No, Bugs, no dessert ~ way too full! The food was SO delicious! I did see the dessert shooters served around us, one pregnant lady, in particular, seemed to have a giant appetite. LOL She was in my direct line of vision and I saw the waiters bring her item after item and she had the most lovely smile.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:No, Bugs, no dessert ~ way too full!  The food was SO delicious!  I did see the dessert shooters served around us, one pregnant lady, in particular, seemed to have a giant appetite.  LOL  She was in my direct line of vision and I saw the waiters bring her item after item and she had the most lovely smile.....

As I read this post, I had to laugh! The word Pregnant.
Would you believe, ( that word was mentioned in a Hush Hush Way ).I don't know why?.... It just wasn't said by kids or around kids old enough to know why a woman had a show stomach !
Mom would say to us.... "She's gonna be a mommy!" And, "Don't say that word, ( Pregnant ) . Till this day, I don't understand why? but every time I see the word, I reminds me.... it was just something not said. No

####################################

Anyway, it's gonna be shepherd's pie tonight. ( only because granddaughter is wishing for it. I will look for something else to eat!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gonna bake off a spaghetti squash for tonight.

I went to the store to get regular stuff for the next few days, same as always.

GEEZE LOUISE.......

No bread. No water. Empty shelves where the canned soup was stocked.

I swear, the newscasters are always trying to scare the bejeebers out of everyone. Yes, be safe. Yes, have flashlights, a few jugs of water, space in the freezer filled with water jugs just to help secure the temperature if the power is out for a time.

But there's no need to buy 10 cases of bottled water. How long would it take to use up 360 - 20 oz. bottles of water? Why would you BUY water to use to possibly flush your toilet or use to wash your hands & face.

After the blizzard we survived ~ and, yes, it was a long time (9 days housebound) of not getting out of the house, and yes, we had babies and we ran out of some stuff to eat. The worst was running out of dog food and having to ration it to my sweet dog. I felt terrible about that. But my pantry never was empty and some meals were a bit strange. We survived. And the cold is a bit harder than the heat, IMO. Especially with kids.

But we're fine. We're gonna ride out the storm without any issues. We're in north central Florida, away from any storm surge or flooding.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, my friend was living in Connecticut when a snow storm hit. She had a baby and her husband was out of town on business. Thank heaven her father was living with them because they had no power for 7 days. I am sure you can understand what she went through. I lived in Illinois for 3 years while my father was in the Navy. I can still remember those blizzards that would pile the snow so it would cover the front door and ground floor windows. You had to dig yourself out. I hope your hurricane doesn't cause too much damage.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper:

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 08_29_12

You've seen it before......you'll see it again. What can I say? HE likes it. It's easy. I'm lazy......

Bugster2

Bugster2

I went to Costco today to pick up a chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano, a rotisserie chicken, butter and some See's Candies gift cards. I ended up with more: a jar of Best Foods mayo on sale and a set of deep Pyrex baking pans with lids that were on sale. I was pulling out my old Pyrex pan to donate and came across some things that I secretly hoard. I save those little packets of desiccant that come in various things to keep things dry. I also save twist ties, especially the really long ones. I save those leftover packets of screws and whatnots to things that don't get used. I have a whole box full of them and have no idea what they originally went to. I have a couple of large tubs of electronic component cords, cable, HDMI, etc. I keep thinking I can use them someday. And funny enough, I do.

208August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was tomato salad in oil and vinegar....seasoned with garlic microplaned.
Olives and bread to sop up the juices. DD made corn on the cob. so I had one.
Tina made sheps pie and GD came over from work to have some.
I didn't eat it. Peas and carrots are not my favorite in shepherd's pie.
I like peas and carrots too; but not in with ground beef and gravy.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Beth, I am reading that Dorian may be a cat 4. I don't know where you are in Fla, but take care, and if they tell you to leave, leave.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're OK, Bugs. We're in north central Florida. By the time the strong winds hit either coast they calm down quite a bit. At most we'll end up with 3 days of wind and rain. But we're on 'high' ground, by Florida standards and The Villages has the most amazing public water management system you can imagine. There are hundreds of 'lakes' (actually what we in Ohio by Lake Erie would call ponds), man made and created to contain the massive runoff.

It's upsetting to Dane that all the golf courses will be closed for multiple days, if not weeks, as the irrigation sprinklers run 24/7 to lower the level of the lakes until it's more manageable.

Did I mention Dane got his very first HOLE IN ONE yesterday? He's riding high, to be sure. He started some lessons this summer and he's sure that's why the game is getting to be so much more fun for him. It's good to see him have a fun hobby.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We're OK, Bugs.  We're in north central Florida.  By the time the strong winds hit either coast they calm down quite a bit.  At most we'll end up with 3 days of wind and rain.  But we're on 'high' ground, by Florida standards and The Villages has the most amazing public water management system you can imagine.  There are hundreds of 'lakes' (actually what we in Ohio by Lake Erie would call ponds), man made and created to contain the massive runoff.  

It's upsetting to Dane that all the golf courses will be closed for multiple days, if not weeks, as the irrigation sprinklers run 24/7 to lower the level of the lakes until it's more manageable.  

Did I mention Dane got his very first HOLE IN ONE yesterday?  He's riding high, to be sure.  He started some lessons this summer and he's sure that's why the game is getting to be so much more fun for him.  It's good to see him have a fun hobby.

And your hobby.... is Cooking! Right?
Congrats to Dane for his hole in one!

JanaAZ

Bugster2 wrote:
bethk wrote:Lyn & I had a 'Get-Outta-Dodge' in Orlando Day.  One of her cars needed serviced so we always volunteer to take it the hour drive just so we can play all day.  Bill knows to make the service appointment for late morning so after the car is serviced we can head to lunch and then off to shopping where ever we happen to want to go.  Today was Macy's where we BOTH found some tops to buy ~ ON SALE !!! ~ and clothing shopping is my very LEAST favorite thing to do.  Portly women are seldom clothes hogs.....we don't like trying on clothes and we hate the sizing tags in the neckline....so when we get them home we cut them off!  LOL

We ended going to lunch at a place called Seasons 52.  Our waiter was a joy and the food was fantastic.  Lyn loves that she and I can order appetizers and just split whatever, and that way we get to try more different dishes.  We had an order of grilled baby artichokes with vegetables and hummus, and I have to say, it was the very best hummus I've ever tasted.  It was super smooth, not at all grainy as some can be, and it was NOT garlic forward, if it had any garlic at all.  The grilled artichokes were also fantastic.  Then there was a four mushroom flatbread ~ to die for!  The crust on the flatbread was super thin, like thick typing paper.....but crispy, even covered with wall-to-wall mushrooms and held up when you took a bite. She is always so generous to share with me and not have GOAT CHEESE on the flatbread, which is the way it's normally served.

The restaurant menu was interesting as there were no sandwiches and nothing deep fried ~ a wood fired oven for a lot of what they served.  And just a lovely setting next to a lake in a sun drenched dining room.  And there wasn't a lot of noise ~ we could hear each other have a conversation but not the people surrounding us.  All in all, a perfect luncheon/dinner place.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 08_28_11

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 08_28_12

Beth, did you have any of the dessert shooters at Seasons 52? They are so good! Nice and small, just enough and not too much to have to bring it home.

My husband ALWAYS cuts out the labels on anything new he buys. It actually annoys me because he tends to buy the same brands over and over and when he wants something new, I ask him what size he wants and he can't remember. Labels don't bother me unless they are scratchy, then I cut them out.

Seasons 52 is a chain that is owned by Darden (Olive Garden). They are known for their healthy items. There's one in Phoenix and I go there occasionally. Nice to have nice, healthy food that doesn't look or taste healthy.

NormM

NormM

A couple days ago Charlie said he wished I'd make Korean food more often so I made some tonight. I made spicy pork and beef spare ribs. I also made one of the side dishes: the bean sprouts.  I cooked the ribs outside and the pork on the butane cooker at the table. August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 20190820
August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 20190819[url=https://servimg.com/view/18545675/655]August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 20190822
August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 20190821[url=https://servimg.com/view/18545675/655]August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 20190822
August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 20190821[/url][/url]

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane says, "Thanks!"

Yes, my hobby is the same as everyone else's......cooking.

I asked Dane what he wanted for supper. I'm so tired of trying to come up with ideas for 'soft' foods. He thought about the question for about 25 minutes and finally came up with scalloped potatoes & ham. Phew! I knew I had ham in the freezer and it thaws quickly....half of a slice sold in the cryovac pack. And I also had a couple packages of the diced ham, I like to keep it on hand to use in things like omeletes, with green beans, etc. So a little later our friend, Jim, called because he thought I had texted him today. No, I had texted him a week & a half ago when he came for supper of meatloaf. LOL But, as long as he was on the phone I said, "Hey, Jim, tonight's scalloped potatoes & ham. Are you interested?" He immediately said he'd be over about quarter to five! The man loves a home cooked meal. And as long as he was going to be here I figured Jeanie might appreciate a hot meal tonight so I gave her a call. Friday is her day to volunteer at the Humane Society and I knew she'd be tired. So she didn't put up any fight, either, when I invited her.

It's always fun to cook for people who just want a home cooked meal and will eat anything you make. I do know Jeanie doesn't like mushrooms and Jim doesn't like sweet potatoes so I try to remember that when I'm going to ask them to come to eat. And no one wants a dessert so it's just an ordinary weeknight meal and nothing fancy.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 08_30_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, oh, boy.....you've got me hungry for the Kalbi Beef Ribs, Norm!  The only place I can buy the flanken cut ribs is at Sam's Club or Costco.  No one around here even knows what I'm talking about when I ask if they carry them.  

You know the look ~ the deer-in-the-headlights stare that looks right at you as if you just sprouted a second head.  I think Fresh Market would cut them for me, as they usually have nice short ribs ~ but, quite honestly, they want $18/lb. for the ribs and I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money for them.

But if I lived across the fence from you, I'd come up with some silly excuse to come knocking at YOUR door when I smelled them cooking!  LOL

What were the side dishes? I recognized the bean sprouts and kimchi but wondered about the other ones. I've tried a few kimchi varieties that I can get at the Oriental Market in Orlando but I think it's an acquired taste. Plus, I don't have anyone who can tell me what is a good one and what is not. I use to do a stir fry version with the bean sprouts with just some chili oil and chili flakes, a splash of rice vinegar at the end. The first serving was SO good. But the second serving, when they had a chance to sit and marinate in the chili oil and chili flakes ~ YIKES! First time it was a real shocker! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:

Seasons 52 is a chain that is owned by Darden (Olive Garden).  They are known for their healthy items.  There's one in Phoenix and I go there occasionally.  Nice to have nice, healthy food that doesn't look or taste healthy.

I didn't know they were a Darden chain. We have a Darden Restaurants gift card that I bet I could use there!

Lyn had been to the Seasons 52 in Tampa with some other friends so she was familiar with their menu. She said one of their friends, Dale, had asked the waiter for some butter for his broccoli and the waiter had to tell him they didn't have butter because they (the restaurant) felt it was unhealthy. LOL

But if you go, and if they have the grilled baby artichoke and hummus appetizer ~ by all means, I highly recommend you give it a try. I'm still remembering how good the hummus was ~ and I'm not a huge fan but like it occasionally.

217August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

There is this restaurant in Santa Monica called "Father's Office". It is famous for their burgers. Joe and I went once and were treated poorly. You have to stand at the bar and place your order and someone brings it to you. We were the first people in to place our order with 15 people behind us. Were got our burgers last. They don't have ketchup because they think their burgers are too good for ketchup. They were good but not all that good. I don't care for restaurants that tell me how I must eat.

218August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:06 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth.  Those ribs are expensive but when they are cheaper at the Asian store.  In Korean restaurants and stores they are called LA cut.  When we had our restaurant, there were not any available like that.  They were cut with the bone across it and we cut the thick meat on each bone according like so it was a bone at one end and a long strip of meat.  It is a pain to cut them but they are easier to eat.

219August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:08 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Out here your ribs are called "flanken cut".

NormM

NormM

Koreans have LA cut on every menu and recipe book I have seen.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Norm, does LA stand for something? Words? I am unfamiliar with that term.

222August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:11 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Bugs....I just did a search and came up with this:

"Cut of meat — galbi (beef short ribs) The second one is the flanken cut, which is when ribs are cut thin across the bones. To Koreans, the flanken cut is also known as “LA galbi,” supposedly named after the city where early Korean immigrants started to use this cut to make galbi gui (grilled short ribs)."

223August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:32 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Beth.

224August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 9 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:53 pm

NormM

NormM

Yes, it stands for Los Angeles.

Bugster2

Bugster2

There is an area inLA called Korea Town. As I understand it, it has severalhighly rated restaurants along with various other places. Just down the street is Overa Street which is a nice half-day trip. It is Mexican with Mexican goods and clothing, junk and several good restaurants. When we are up in the area we always go to our hometown of Pasadena and eat at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Pie n' Burger. Been there forever and the Caltech crowd and old school Pasadenan's go there for breakfast, lunch and their homemade pies which are really good. They actually make their own crust.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum