Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen?

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 10]

151August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:44 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made seared scallops on a bed of spinach with a Calvados cream sauce. Toasted a baguette and made a salad to go with it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Finally, a SUNNY DAY!!!

Woo Hoo! Time to light the charcoal. Florida's rainy season is summer, but it's been a very long stretch of daily drenchings. Today was a welcome sunshiny day.

Strip steak, seasoned and on to the grill, leftover mashed potatoes turned into mushy potato patties (ugly but really tasty!), steamed asparagus and some sliced tomatoes ~ and supper was served.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 08_19_10

Bugster2

Bugster2

Looks mighty fine to me, Beth!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The kids came over after work.....I fried thin cut sirloin steaks in the cast iron pan with garlic granules and Italian spices.
Corn on the cob, and sweet tater fries. Regular fries too.
Pumpkin pie for dessert.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bet the kids appreciate not having to cook on a weeknight, Jimmy. I know I always loved it when I came home to a meal ready to eat.

I went to Fresh Market today to get some chicken breasts as my freezer is out of them, and today was $2.99/lb. day. While I was there I saw cod filets were on sale so I got one to share with Dane. And as I was walking out I happened to notice that the evil people from the bakery had put loaves of kalmata olive bread in my path! They KNOW it's something I cannot resist and they persist in having it available just to tempt me. Evil. Pure EVIL!!!

LOL

I've been playing with an idea in my head to make better hashed brown potatoes. Usually when I peel and grate a raw potato it has way too much moisture, even if I squeeze out the excess with a kitchen towel. And the raw potato turns a nasty grey color before it gets cooked....end result is a sort of crispy~gummy potato. Not what I wanted.

So tonight I par cooked the potatoes in the microwave, a total of about 7 minutes at a 50% power, until they were just starting to soften. After they were cool enough to handle I was easily able to take off the thin skins and when completely cool I grated them on a box grater, pretty easily I have to say. (without taking any knuckle with it.....) The shredded potatoes browned up nice and crispy and were pretty darn good. One of us had a second helping, just testing to be sure they were better than usual......

So, supper: Panko crusted cod, hashed brown potatoes, broccoli and kalmata olive bread.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 08_20_10

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

CHIX SOUP WITH NOODLES!

NormM

NormM

We has shrimp scampi for dinner tonight with corn and some mixed vegetables with teriyaki sauce.August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 20190817

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looking good, Norm! Love when I can find the larger shrimps. Always, about 15 cleaned shrimp into the job, I'm ready for it to be done. LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

I read where you put potatoes in cold water to prevent them from discoloring. I think with shredded, I might put them in cold water and when ready to cook, throw them in a salad spinner and then a towel. CI says the best potatoes are cooked in butter.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:CHIX SOUP WITH NOODLES!

are you still feeling under the weather or was it just a good day for chicken soup?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I read where you put potatoes in cold water to prevent them from discoloring. I think with shredded, I might put them in cold water and when ready to cook, throw them in a salad spinner and then a towel. CI says the best potatoes are cooked in butter.

Tried like that but there was still too much moisture to get a good crisp when frying ~ which I do with oil & butter.

the frozen shredded hashed brown potatoes, when thawed prior to use, do pretty well but there's an off taste so I much prefer 'real' potatoes. And since the frozen ones are steamed before being frozen I thought that would be the way to try. It was pretty close. Next year when I make them again I'll probably forget all about my experiment! LOL

162August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:03 am

NormM

NormM

I recently saw and copied this recipe for crisp hash browns.
Waffle Iron Hash Browns 

3C. frozen hash browns
2 Tbs. oil
1/2 tsp. salt

Defrost hash browns 2-4 min. depending on full nuke power level.

Stir in oil and salt.

Preheat waffle iron.  Brush with oil, place potatoes in iron and smooth out flat. Close and press down lid. Cook 10-14 minutes. Open and carefully remove. August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 20141010

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup, Norm, that works! But I only have one small round waffle iron and I wanted to make more at one time.

It's a fun experiment to mess around with something as simple as a potato.

I think the best potatoes I've ever made were the Jonathan Waxman double cooked....baked & deep fried.....but they used a lot of oil to deep fry and we all know how I avoid that mess. But they were super crispy and really good tasting with the salt & herb toss at the end.

I really should just research how to avoid cooking potatoes at all considering how easy it is for me to over do it! LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane had a dental appointment this morning to prep for a new crown to replace an old one he had done years ago. I knew he'd probably need a 'soft' supper so I decided to make a chicken & stuffing roulade......took the easy way out and just made some Stovetop Stuffing. What can I say? We both LIKE the stuff! LOL Made green beans to go along with it.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 08_21_10

Then, when Dane got home it turns out it didn't go so well....when they started to prep and change the crown his tooth broke off and they ended up having to extract it. Geeze Louise! If I'd known his teeth wouldn't last I would have gotten rid of him years ago!

While he was at the dentist I remembered I needed to go over to the Health Center and make an appointment for my mammogram ~ always a fun time! Woo Hoo!!! (NOT) So, while I was waiting for the scheduler to see what she had available she suddenly looks up and says, "Oh, I've got an opening in 10 minutes! Want it?"

So, I'm now done with that. Actually, it was pretty cool not having to think about, 'I have a mammogram in 4 days,,,I have a mammogram tomorrow,,,,,Crap ~ I gotta go get that mammogram today.' Done, Over, and they ain't bad at all. It's just not the most fun a woman can have.

So, how was YOUR day?

LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking here tonight. This morning I made a huge pot of turkey soup from my freezer supply for Dane to eat for a couple days, or at least until his mouth feels a bit better.

I went out to lunch with Lyn so one meal is enough to fill me up, especially since it was about 1:30.

I'm not sure what to plan for tomorrow. I think I'll wait to see how he's feeling in the morning.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Dental work is no fun.

I made a pan of blondies on Tuesday. I wrap each piece in plastic and freeze them so the pieces stay fresh. I have had 3 pieces and went down to get another tonight only to find one piece left. Last night, there were 12 pieces left. Tonight there was one. Joe doesn't eat them. Katie polished off 11 pieces last night. It makes me sick thinking about it. It takes me most of the day to eat one piece. What is so funny is that tonight she was mixing up her mess of yogurt, Ceylon cinnamon (that stuff is vile!) honey and walnuts all the while talking about how bad fruit yogurt is for you because it has all that sugar in it.
I made the mistake of going into her bedroom and walking around the other side of the bed. Looks like one of those hoarders who can't throw trash away. I keep my mouth shut because she pays rent. She has the right to do almost anything she wants.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Still no cooking to speak of. I did make some potato soup for myself, just because it sounded good.

HE still just wants clear broth.

To each their own. I figure he should be feeling better by tomorrow, some what. We'll see.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I read where you put potatoes in cold water to prevent them from discoloring. I think with shredded, I might put them in cold water and when ready to cook, throw them in a salad spinner and then a towel. CI says the best potatoes are cooked in butter.

Now that's a good idea Deb.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote: I recently saw and copied this recipe for crisp hash browns.
Waffle Iron Hash Browns 

3C. frozen hash browns
2 Tbs. oil
1/2 tsp. salt

Defrost hash browns 2-4 min. depending on full nuke power level.

Stir in oil and salt.

Preheat waffle iron.  Brush with oil, place potatoes in iron and smooth out flat. Close and press down lid. Cook 10-14 minutes. Open and carefully remove. August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 20141010

Good show Norm. I made Waflleosauges ( took breakfast sausage, sliced, and cooked them on the waffle iron. )
Have to try the potatoes.....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:

are you still feeling under the weather or was it just a good day for chicken soup?

Feeling better....thanks!   These made me better!
Take them away please!!!   Tina bought two small bags.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 Img_1539

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:

Tried like that but there was still too much moisture to get a good crisp when frying ~ which I do with oil & butter.

the frozen shredded hashed brown potatoes, when thawed prior to use, do pretty well but there's an off taste so I much prefer 'real' potatoes.  And since the frozen ones are steamed before being frozen I thought that would be the way to try.  It was pretty close.  Next year when I make them again I'll probably forget all about my experiment!  LOL

https://dadwithapan.com/why-your-hash-browns-are-gray-and-gummy-and-how-to-fix-them/

I googled and found this.

bethk

bethk
Admin

And if I had read that article FIRST I wouldn't have thought I had come up with the most genius potato hack ever! LOL

Funny how so many people manage to solve the same kitchen problem in different ways. The one common thread is we all try and experiment until we find what works for us. For me, that's the fun of being in the kitchen, much like the thrill of finding what tastes I enjoy together with herbs and spices. And everyone is different so there's no right or wrong way of doing something.

173August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:And if I had read that article FIRST I wouldn't have thought I had come up with the most genius potato hack ever!  LOL

Funny how so many people manage to solve the same kitchen problem in different ways.  The one common thread is we all try and experiment until we find what works for us.  For me, that's the fun of being in the kitchen, much like the thrill of finding what tastes I enjoy together with herbs and spices.  And everyone is different so there's no right or wrong way of doing something.  

There is no right or wrong way to hard boil an EGG either!
Remember that fiasco on the other forum? Who was the one that wrote in GREEN ?
Speaking of green..... haven't heard from Imelda!

174August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 Empty Re: August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:52 pm

Niagara Visitor

I had some yummy beef shish-ka-obs all ready to go on the grill last night, and then my son texted............"Mom, Lisa's gone to an office thing, are you hungry?" So, beef went back in the fridge for tonight, and we went out for a taco salad. Time with son is more important, right?

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:

Feeling better....thanks!   These made me better!
Take them away please!!!   Tina bought two small bags.

August, 2019 ~ What's HOT in the kitchen? - Page 7 Img_1539

I picked up a bag of those this morning before I read your post. LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum