Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pork and Chicken Paella with Brussels Sprouts

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Crybaby

Crybaby

I saw this recipe in a magazine and it looked good; they say it only takes 40 minutes of time to make.  I was surprised to see converted rice used as I've never made that but I know a man who makes the best jambalaya I ever had in my life and he confessed he uses converted rice, too. So what do I know? You could easily make this your own by adding some browned sausage slices, too. I know I'd definitely add onions to it and some shrimp added to it would be good, too. What appealed to me is that it's a "paella type" dish with no seafood so Brian would eat if it I ever get around to making it.

Pork and Chicken Paella with Brussels Sprouts
Makes 8 2-1/4 cup servings. / Recipe by Better Homes & Gardens.
Converted, or parboiled, rice is soaked, steamed, and dried in the husk so its starches stay firmer and less sticky. Seek out this rice for paella.

6 Tablespoons olive oil
1 lb. pork loin (center cut), cut into 1-inch pieces
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 large red, green, or yellow sweet pepper, cut in 1-inch pieces
3 Tablespoons minced fresh garlic
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 Tablespoon sweet paprika
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
4-1/4 cups water
2-1/2 cups converted rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
Roasted Brussels Sprouts (recipe below)

1. In a 15-inch paella pan,* heat olive oil over medium. Add pork and chicken. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl; set aside. Add sweet pepper to pan; cook and stir 2 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, thyme, bay leaf, paprika, and 1 teaspoon black pepper; cook and stir 1 minute. Add wine; cook 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup water; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in rice.
2. Add pork, chicken, remaining 4 cups water, the chicken broth, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling. Cook, uncovered, over high 18 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated. Add Brussels sprouts. Reduce heat to medium; cook 2 minutes more. Turn off heat. Cover; let stand 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf. To make a crust, a/k/a socarrat, reheat on high, without stirring, 1 to 2 minutes or until edges look dry.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place 1 lb. halved Brussels sprouts in a shallow baking pan. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper; toss to coat. Roast 20 minutes or until tender and brown, stirring once.

*A paella pan is wide and flat to ensure the rice cooks evenly. If you don't have one, use a heavy 12- to 14-inch skillet that's 2 to 2-1/2 inches deep.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum