Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Christmas Holiday Spirit? 2016 / Cooking / Plans? / Thoughts??

+4
cookingirl
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Bugster2

Bugster2

That is one gorgeous roast!

I was also trying a new cooking method with my roast. I had a one rib roast. How do you cook it? So, I did some research and found that they are also called Cowboy Chops. I found two methods: one on the grill and the other in the oven and stovetop. I combined the two. I pulled out my turkey roaster and set it on 275. Seasoned my meat with a rib roast rub and let it come to room temp for a couple of hours. Plunked the roast in the oven with a probe thermometer. It took about an hour to get to 130. Before it got to 130 I preheated my gas grill on high. When it got to 130 I slapped it on the grill basted with butter and grilled each side for 4 minutes. It was perfect. No grey ring just an even medium rare all through the meat. This is definitely a keeper method for a 1 rib roast.

NormM

NormM

It all looks delicious Beth. I started my 4lb rib roast @ 500º per pound but it was like around 55º on the inside when it started and after an hour and a half it was only up to about 110 so I turned on the oven and finished it in the next half hour @ 350º. Because I had a thermometer in it and knew when it was going to be done I knew it was going to be OK no matter what. There was only two of us so we just had the rib roat with cream and blue cheese sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans. I planned to put out some shrimp cocktail but forgot.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our girls pooled their money and sent me a gift DD#2 thought I'd like after she was here visiting with the giant shedding Huckleberry Hound ~ a robot vacuum ~ ROOMBA !  I'm thrilled and so is Mr. Amazing as I usually delegate the carpet cleaning to him.  He doesn't complain about having to be the carpet cleaner person in the house but his schedule is less often than I'd like ~ but since he DOES do it, I don't complain.

Christmas Holiday Spirit? 2016 / Cooking / Plans? / Thoughts?? - Page 3 IMG_20161225_114055256

I've run my ROOMBA twice in the main living areas this week ~ every time I start it up I tell Mr. Amazing that I'm 'Multi-Tasking'.....cleaning and whatever else I might be busy with (even if it's just watching TV!).

I love this thing! I haven't researched it but it MUST have been invented by some poor, harried woman who just couldn't stand pushing around a vacuum cleaner and making her back scream in pain. I have found it works best if all the throw rugs get removed, although it will pass over them. It just makes me feel better to take them outside and give them a good shake when I start the ROOMBA up to clean for me.

Last edited by bethk on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

NormM

NormM

The pan has been seasoned so it should be as non stick as a cast iron pan and can be used just like a cast iron pan except it is lighter and holds and distributes heat better because the steel is denser. I did plan to cook eggs with it for it's first test though.

bethk

bethk
Admin

PHEW! I'm exhausted from cleaning.....Hahahahaha!

We did a full charge on the Roomba and let it go at the kitchen, dining area & living room. It just runs in a random pattern (as far as I can tell) but it seems to do a great job of getting the dust and fuzz off the tile floors and carpeting. When the battery runs down it 'docks' itself and recharges.

I moved the docking station to the bedroom / bathroom and just took the bathroom rugs outside to shake (which is a normal cleaning thing....). I should be ashamed of all the dust it pulled from the carpeting under the bed. But, quite honestly, to regularly vacuum UNDER the bed requires laying on your belly and attempting to reach the vacuum as far under the bed as you can reach. Too difficult for either of us. But the Roomba just kept rolling around and I ended up emptying the icky out, let it re-charge, and started it up the second time. There was a little bit of dusty fuzz on the second go-around but it made me feel like it might have actually cleaned under there pretty well.

Tomorrow I'll have it clean the spare room.

I called the girls and told them both, "Thank-you" again. It really is a handy appliance to have in the house!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

NormM wrote:Charlie got me a couple of cooking things for Christmas. Here they are.  Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker that can also make yogurt, cook rice, saute, slow cook and a few more things I don't know about yet.  The pan is Aus-Ion made in Austrailia.

Christmas Holiday Spirit? 2016 / Cooking / Plans? / Thoughts?? - Page 3 Unname10

Let me know how you like your Instant Pot Norm.. some friends of mine are crazy about it, one of them bought 4 pots Rolling Eyes  I don't know what she used with them... I still like my slow cooking, I mean, spending time cooking with usual method, prepping, stirring and waiting for them to be done, I enjoy cooking and I have plenty of time to cook.. I don't know, maybe someday I'm going to buy it too, who knows..

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, we got a Roomba several years ago and liked it so much, we got a Scooba, too, which they called their mopping Roomba at the time. They're super little machines and keep the floors really clean.

What a nice gift from your daughters!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby wrote:
Imelda wrote:Merry Christmas to you and Brian too, I hope you have a good time.. Thank you for your kind words.. at my home, I always try to help my mom doing errand too, I think of my mother in-law as my own mom, I'm happy to help out, I told Dirk that I don't mean to take over everything she usually does, on Christmas day's dinner, I'll let her in charge in cooking, usually she put a big chunk of ham/beef n slow cooker, simple, I'll help with salad and clean up later

One time she said: 'Imelda, you are a jewel" Dirk heard it, so since then I would not let Dirk forget it   

Sounds like you are indeed a jewel and Dirk already knows it, too!  It's nice you're considerate about not taking over everything your MIL usually does, as it's hard for moms to let go a lot of times.  My mom had no problem, as she was used to me cooking and loved letting me do it but I could tell Brian's mom, though she was having a hard time managing cooking for a crowd, was also nervous about some other woman cooking most of the dinner and getting the compliments.  Believe me, I tread lightly so she wouldn't feel left out but I could tell how relieved she was not to have to cook the whole dinner anymore.  

Imelda wrote:here is my ribs.. I got i t out, thinking to trim it, but thought better to keep the fat on... I told Dirk to set alarm at 7 am tomorrow ( we are late riser ), he gave me "that" look    I want to take the ribs out and let it sit to the room temperature for an hour, rub the spice ( I'm using butter, garlic, thyme, dill dried onion and black pepper ), let it sit for 1 hour, then roast it, we'll see how it turns out... I have my fingers crossed

Your spice rub sounds super, Imelda.  I think you were smart to leave that little bit of fat on, too.  Usually a fat cap will help such a lean roast stay moist.  All someone really needs to ensure a perfect standing rib roast is a well working thermometer!  

You're probably either on the way to your in-laws's house right noq or are there already.  Merry Christmas to you, Dirk and your families!  I hope y'all have a lovely holiday.

Merry Christmas to you too, I hope you have a wonderful holiday as well... we had a good time, Dirk's brother and his wife came and visit from CA, his little sister loves 5 miles away from his parents' house, my sister and her family came from Katy, Texas, we all gathered and had dinner together, my ribs was a hit, all of them liked it.. they liked raw, I and my little niece had to nuke our ribs 1 minute in microwave to make it suitable for our taste

That morning I was online and found the easier way to roast it, it was from Cook Country site.. it roast for 2 hours on 250'F, covered with foil for 1 hour, after I roasted it for 2 hours, the temp inside was 120'F, then I covered it tight with thick foil and put it in insulated lunch basket.. we had dinner at 4 o'clock, when I opened the foil, it was still warm, I reheated it with broiling it on high for 5 minutes, it turned out juice and still very pink, perfect for the crowd

I did not take a good picture, this was from Dirk's plate, I made some red wine gravy and they loved it
Christmas Holiday Spirit? 2016 / Cooking / Plans? / Thoughts?? - Page 3 2

this one was mine, not much pink left

Christmas Holiday Spirit? 2016 / Cooking / Plans? / Thoughts?? - Page 3 3_1

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:OK, so I'm here to tell about the "# lb. of standing rib roast times 5 minutes at 500° then turn off the oven and let it alone for 2 hours" method of cooking.

IT WORKS!!!!!

Man, I was sweating bullets, believe me.  I mean, I was messin' around with $160 hunk-o-beef paid for by my BFF's husband.....I did NOT want to screw it up and disappoint 9 people sitting around the table and have them all stare at me and I'd know they would think I was a real jerk!

But it was perfect as far as anyone was concerned.  

I was surprised, however, that the roast shrunk by about 50% of the length from raw to cooked.  I should have taken a 'before' pic but I didn't think about it.

Here it is out of the oven and ready to slice (with an electric knife).....The crust was really flavorful.  I ended up using fresh chopped thyme & some dry rosemary mixed into a softened stick of butter and slathered all over the roast, then liberally sprinkled with salt & pepper ~ on to a rack in a foil covered roasting pan (no sense in scrubbing when you can just fold & toss!).

Of course I announced, "WAIT!  I need a picture!"   And everyone just sat still......Hahahahaha

My plate.  I was so disappointed but it was the same as always.  I took a bite of each item to see how it tasted, checking for seasoning, etc., but was unable to eat my meal....Twice baked potatoes, glazed carrots, Brussels sprouts w/bacon, green bean casserole and Fresh Market herb knot rolls.

Christmas Holiday Spirit? 2016 / Cooking / Plans? / Thoughts?? - Page 3 IMG_20161225_182729596_HDR

And here are the little Raspberry Mousse Chocolate Cups I made for dessert.  Marcie made apple pie and brought a sweet potato pie that no one even tasted.

Beautiful roast Beth.. perfect.. I guess I need a electric knife to slice it perfectly

Bugster2

Bugster2

Is there a good electric knife anyone can recommend?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Is there a good electric knife anyone can recommend?

Get an electric one that isn't battery operated. I'd buy one from a garage/tag sale. You use it once or twice a year and as long as the blades move back & forth you're good to go!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

[b][color=#009900]Merry Christmas to you too, I hope you have a wonderful holiday as well... we had a good time, Dirk's brother and his wife came and visit from CA, his little sister loves 5 miles away from his parents' house, my sister and her family came from Katy, Texas, we all gathered and had dinner together, my ribs was a hit, all of them liked it.. they liked raw, I and my little niece had to nuke our ribs 1 minute in microwave to make it suitable for our taste

That morning I was online and found the easier way to roast it, it was from Cook Country site.. it roast for 2 hours on 250'F, covered with foil for 1 hour, after I roasted it for 2 hours, the temp inside was 120'F, then I covered it tight with thick foil and put it in insulated lunch basket.. we had dinner at 4 o'clock, when I opened the foil, it was still warm, I reheated it with broiling it on high for 5 minutes, it turned out juice and still very pink, perfect for the crowd

I made some red wine gravy and they loved it

Imelda ~ you did a wonderful job on your rib roast! And you used your 'common sense' to try a cooking method that sounded just right for YOUR circumstance and having to travel with the meal. Bravo!

NormM

NormM

Imelda HL wrote:
NormM wrote:Charlie got me a couple of cooking things for Christmas. Here they are.  Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker that can also make yogurt, cook rice, saute, slow cook and a few more things I don't know about yet.  The pan is Aus-Ion made in Austrailia.

Christmas Holiday Spirit? 2016 / Cooking / Plans? / Thoughts?? - Page 3 Unname10

Let me know how you like your Instant Pot Norm.. some friends of mine are crazy about it, one of them bought 4 pots Rolling Eyes  I don't know what she used with them... I still like my slow cooking, I mean, spending time cooking with usual method, prepping, stirring and waiting for them to be done, I enjoy cooking and I have plenty of time to cook.. I don't know, maybe someday I'm going to buy it too, who knows..

Imelda, I have used it once and the food turned out OK. I find it will take me some time to understand how to use it with all it's functions. I think the directions are a little vague and the one recipe I tried was not as well written as it could have been. There is a site where this thing has been talked about quite extensively. All in all it is very well liked by most. Here is the discussion if you want to take a look at it. https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153701-instant-pot-multi-function-cooker-part-4/

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think JanaAZ has one....maybe she'll stop by and fill us in.

JanaAZ

bethk wrote:I went to Sam's Club today to just wander around....I love just walking through the aisles, especially at Christmas time, and have time to see all the specialty items they carry.  In the baking aisle they had TWO boxes of the dark chocolate dessert cups left for sale ($5.41 for 24) ~ I grabbed them as soon as I saw them!  They are great to use for a 'special' dessert, filled with a mousse or fruit.  I'm thinking I'll make some easy-peasey raspberry mousse (raspberry yogurt, cream cheese & Cool Whip), add a tiny bit of seedless raspberry jam in the bottom of the chocolate cups, pipe in the mousse and top with a fresh raspberry & another drizzle of the jam on top.  People think you really went all out on a dessert and don't have a clue how easy it is.

I've done the same with strawberry before, too.  The taste of the dark chocolate with the sweet mousse & tart fruit is a winning combination.

Christmas Holiday Spirit? 2016 / Cooking / Plans? / Thoughts?? - Page 3 IMG_20161218_144715917
I used them at my holiday party. I filled them with strawberry cream and topped with a raspberry and mint Sure wish I could figure o21:52:3321:52:36ut how to post a photo.

JanaAZ

Imelda HL wrote:

I got one last Christmas. I loved it so much I bought a second one. I got rid of my rice cooker and my stove pot pressure cooker. This thing lets you sauté in it and then either pressure cook or slow cook. I do beans in it and they're ready in about 20 minutes. No soaking needed. I threw in a frozen pork shoulder and in about 45 minutes I had pulled pork. You're going to love it

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have had one for several years but I just don't use it. Prolly 'cause we don't eat what you would normally cook in it. It is nice that you can sear and then pressure cook. I didn't have any success with the rice option.

NormM

NormM

I  cooked beans and ham in it yesterday.

NormM

NormM

We went to my sister's for Christmas where she sat out a buffet. I brought some raw veggies and a couple dips and some mushrooms stuffed with sausage. I made little meat balls with leftover filling.

Christmas Holiday Spirit? 2016 / Cooking / Plans? / Thoughts?? - Page 3 20171224
Christmas Holiday Spirit? 2016 / Cooking / Plans? / Thoughts?? - Page 3 20171223

bethk

bethk
Admin

This is the 2016 Christmas thread......CLOSED !!!

(I'm getting confused...)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum