Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.


You are not connected. Please login or register

Christmas Holiday Spirit? 2016 / Cooking / Plans? / Thoughts??

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

bethk

avatar
Admin
Imelda ~ here is the link I found that explains the cooking method:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/221958/chef-johns-perfect-prime-rib/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%202

All the research I've done says the same thing.....the roast comes out of the refrigerator 5 - 6 hours before you want to roast so it's at 'room temperature' (which is logical to me....).  I'm sure the rub you use on the outside is up for personal preference and any would work just fine.

So, according to this 'method' for your 8 lb. roast you would preheat the oven (and I have read to preheat for at least 30 minutes) to 500° and cook your room temperature, seasoned roast on an open rack for 40 minutes (8 lbs. X 5 minutes = 40 minutes).  Then you turn off the heat and leave the roast in the oven for 2 hours, being careful to NOT open the oven even once.  The time in the turned-off oven is considered sufficient 'resting time' and the roast can be sliced for serving immediately after removing it from the oven at the end of the two hours.

This method would certainly work best if you are in a kitchen with two ovens (as I will have at Lyn's on Sunday).  But if not, I think I would have all my sides at room temperature and ready to be popped in the oven and allow my roast to sit in a warm place in the kitchen, covered with foil for up to an additional half hour.

Holidays are the only time I am ever envious of people who have the double ovens in their kitchens.


IMELDA ~ I just reread your post and I guess I missed the part about wanting to cook your roast and then transport it.

I think you are right on the "cook in the morning and let it sit in the turned off oven for 2 hours".....maybe make it 1 hour, 45 minutes ~ then cover tightly with foil and take to your in-law's. I would reheat it in a 400° oven for 15 - 20 minutes to bring it back up to serving temperature. I think the inside would stay warm and you just would need to get the outside to be a little warmer for serving. I'd check the internal temperature with an instant read thermometer and if it's not done enough you could always slice and put on a sheet pan and into a 450° - 500° oven for 3 or 4 minutes to just get it cooked to your (or in-law's) preference.

Bugster2

avatar
No offense intended Imelda, but I can't think of a quicker way to ruin a standing rib roast than by rubbing it with onion soup mix. Standing rib roasts need a different type of rub. Ingredients would include garlic, a pepper medley, thyme, rosemary, salt, granulated onion, and so on. There are so many variations but this is just a guide. Look on Food Network for a bunch of ideas.

bethk

avatar
Admin
Since the rub is going on the outside of the rib roast it may flavor but won't change the tissue structure in the least. If it's a flavor you enjoy, including the dehydrated onions, I can see no harm.

Just my opinion.

Crybaby

avatar
Imelda, I usually just minced 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, about 1/8 cup or a bit more of flour, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and mixed all that together and rubbed on the roast. Turned out great for years and years with a nice crunchy crust on the outside. Some people make slits in the fat cap and slip in some garlic slices, too, but I don't do that on a rib roast.

This year I did something just a tad different. For a three-rib roast, about 6 to 6.5 lbs., I mixed the following into a paste and spread it on the roast and let it sit at room temp about an hour or 90 minutes prior to baking. Came out really good, too.

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

You can indeed pretty much do whatever you want to the outside, as the inside is going to come out divine anyway.

I've not tried that high heat oven method and then let it sit in the turned off oven for a couple of hours. I've read that it comes out great but I'm too afraid my expensive roast will come out overdone -- I make it medium rare and Brian eats the end cuts.

Bugster2

avatar
Beth, you may be right about the onion soup doing no harm, I don't know. I can't stand the stuff and think that Crybaby's recipe for a rub would be a much better choice. An 8 rib roast costs a small fortune and I cringe thinking onion soup would be rubbed on it. But, I am probably wrong; I usually am.

Imelda HL

avatar
Thank you all... the reason I planned to use Onion soup mix for the rub is that is the only dry seasoning I have in my pantry, and some rub recipes I saw on the net were salt and pepper only.. I might go adding olive oil, garlic like Crybaby's rub, I have fresh rosemary ( a bit pot ) in my backyard, but I don't like the smell of it.. so maybe I just skip it

And Beth, do you roast your ribs uncover? Beside ribs, I'm going to make some baked potato & sweet potato, smash them in chunk pieces, season with Creole seasoning, top with lots of cheese and parsley.. last year we made it and everybody loved it

My mother in-law is getting old and not really fit like she used to be, so I offered to cook for Christmas eave, on Christmas day she is in charge for ham dinner, I'll have with salad and else  

bethk

avatar
Admin
Yes, Imelda....Rib roast is done uncovered. You don't want to steam it but let the high heat surround it. I would use a rack or use the curved rib bones as a rack to keep the meat from steaming on the bottom of your roasting pan.

I know you'll be fine. You're an excellent cook with great instincts!

Merry Christmas to you & Dirk and his parent, too!

Imelda HL

avatar
bethk wrote:Yes, Imelda....Rib roast is done uncovered.  You don't want to steam it but let the high heat surround it.  I would use a rack or use the curved rib bones as a rack to keep the meat from steaming on the bottom of your roasting pan.

I know you'll be fine.  You're an excellent cook with great instincts!

Merry Christmas to you & Dirk and his parent, too!

Thank  you, Merry Christmas to you and family too.. and also to everyone in this forum.. May you all have a wonderful holiday santa rendeer

this looks so good

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alvinzhou/prime-rib-with-garlic-herb-butter?bffbtasty&ref=bffbtasty&utm_term=.plG9eOgljP#.bdpRjbmJa4

bethk

avatar
Admin
OH MY! That picture was almost good enough to taste! We don't have it often, but when we do have an opportunity to have 'the perfect beef roast' that picture is what I think of.

Bugster2

avatar
I can taste that roast right now!

Crybaby

avatar
Imelda HL wrote:Thank you all... the reason I planned to use Onion soup mix for the rub is that is the only dry seasoning I have in my pantry, and some rub recipes I saw on the net were salt and pepper only.. I might go adding olive oil, garlic like Crybaby's rub, I have fresh rosemary ( a bit pot ) in my backyard, but I don't like the smell of it.. so maybe I just skip it

And Beth, do you roast your ribs uncover? Beside ribs, I'm going to make some baked potato & sweet potato, smash them in chunk pieces, season with Creole seasoning, top with lots of cheese and parsley.. last year we made it and everybody loved it

My mother in-law is getting old and not really fit like she used to be, so I offered to cook for Christmas eave, on Christmas day she is in charge for ham dinner, I'll have with salad and else  

Rosemary is not for everybody, Imelda, so skip it if it smells funny to you, as it's a strong herb. You can go with that same mix with just thyme, salt and pepper or use the onion soup mix. I've never done that but I'll bet it would turn out just fine. I'd rub the roast with olive oil first so your soup mix would stick to it.

It was very nice of you to offer to do some of the cooking for you mother-in-law, Imelda. Lots of times it's hard for someone to do what they've always done as they age, especially during the holidays. It's a lot nicer for you to offer to help rather than have her worry about pulling it all together or her having to ask for help. Dirk is probably not only proud of you but so grateful that you're kind to his mom and dad.

Merry Christmas, Imelda. I hope your roast comes out perfectly and I hope you both have a wonderful holiday with Dirk's family. Be careful on the road, too!

Bugster2

avatar
A little bit of rosemary goes a long way. I don't usually like it but a small amount in a rub is really good. Too much and you think you are eating a pine tree. BLECH! I usually avoid most recipes that use rosemary except for a rib roast. The fat with the dark crusty coating is one of my faves. I love to suck on the crisp parts. Can't do it in public but I can at home. LOL. Nothing like having the grease run down your chin. What a lovely sight. My husband gets grossed out.

Imelda HL

avatar
Crybaby wrote:

Rosemary is not for everybody, Imelda, so skip it if it smells funny to you, as it's a strong herb.  You can go with that same mix with just thyme, salt and pepper or use the onion soup mix.  I've never done that but I'll bet it would turn out just fine. I'd rub the roast with olive oil first so your soup mix would stick to it.

It was very nice of you to offer to do some of the cooking for you mother-in-law, Imelda.  Lots of times it's hard for someone to do what they've always done as they age, especially during the holidays.  It's a lot nicer for you to offer to help rather than have her worry about pulling it all together or her having to ask for help.  Dirk is probably not only proud of you but so grateful that you're kind to his mom and dad.  

Merry Christmas, Imelda.  I hope your roast comes out perfectly and I hope you both have a wonderful holiday with Dirk's family. Be careful on the road, too!

Merry Christmas to you and Brian too, I hope you have a good time.. Thank you for your kind words.. at my home, I always try to help my mom doing errand too, I think of my mother in-law as my own mom, I'm happy to help out, I told Dirk that I don't mean to take over everything she usually does, on Christmas day's dinner, I'll let her in charge in cooking, usually she put a big chunk of ham/beef n slow cooker, simple, I'll help with salad and clean up later

One time she said: 'Imelda, you are a jewel" Dirk heard it, so since then I would not let Dirk forget it Cool  

here is my ribs.. I got i t out, thinking to trim it, but thought better to keep the fat on... I told Dirk to set alarm at 7 am tomorrow ( we are late riser ), he gave me "that" look  Laughing  I want to take the ribs out and let it sit to the room temperature for an hour, rub the spice ( I'm using butter, garlic, thyme, dill dried onion and black pepper ), let it sit for 1 hour, then roast it, we'll see how it turns out... I have my fingers crossed


bethk

avatar
Admin
Ohhhh, that is one LOVELY chunk of beef! Great marbeling and no obvious gristle.

It should cook up perfectly. Have fun!

By the way, your Mother-in-law is right.....You ARE a jewel!

Merry Christmas!

Crybaby

avatar
Imelda wrote:Merry Christmas to you and Brian too, I hope you have a good time.. Thank you for your kind words.. at my home, I always try to help my mom doing errand too, I think of my mother in-law as my own mom, I'm happy to help out, I told Dirk that I don't mean to take over everything she usually does, on Christmas day's dinner, I'll let her in charge in cooking, usually she put a big chunk of ham/beef n slow cooker, simple, I'll help with salad and clean up later

One time she said: 'Imelda, you are a jewel" Dirk heard it, so since then I would not let Dirk forget it   

Sounds like you are indeed a jewel and Dirk already knows it, too!  It's nice you're considerate about not taking over everything your MIL usually does, as it's hard for moms to let go a lot of times.  My mom had no problem, as she was used to me cooking and loved letting me do it but I could tell Brian's mom, though she was having a hard time managing cooking for a crowd, was also nervous about some other woman cooking most of the dinner and getting the compliments.  Believe me, I tread lightly so she wouldn't feel left out but I could tell how relieved she was not to have to cook the whole dinner anymore.  

Imelda wrote:here is my ribs.. I got i t out, thinking to trim it, but thought better to keep the fat on... I told Dirk to set alarm at 7 am tomorrow ( we are late riser ), he gave me "that" look    I want to take the ribs out and let it sit to the room temperature for an hour, rub the spice ( I'm using butter, garlic, thyme, dill dried onion and black pepper ), let it sit for 1 hour, then roast it, we'll see how it turns out... I have my fingers crossed

Your spice rub sounds super, Imelda.  I think you were smart to leave that little bit of fat on, too.  Usually a fat cap will help such a lean roast stay moist.  All someone really needs to ensure a perfect standing rib roast is a well working thermometer!  

You're probably either on the way to your in-laws's house right noq or are there already.  Merry Christmas to you, Dirk and your families!  I hope y'all have a lovely holiday.

cookingirl

avatar
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!!

NormM

avatar
Merry Christmas.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

avatar
Fleas Navidad!

From: Boo (RIP), Jenifurr, Lauren, Smidget, Noogie, Olive and Cooper.

bethk

avatar
Admin
Merry Christmas to all our Forum Family! May your day be Merry and Bright and full of Love!


Yesterday we went to Dane's sister's. We ended up staying for her lovely Christmas buffet ~ had the chance to visit with both her boys & their wives and her granddaughter along with her husband and their 5 year old daughter.

Cheryle had made a chocolate bundt cake and wanted to 'festive' it up a bit for the holiday ~ this is what we ended up with.....



Bugster2

avatar
Joe and Katie went to my BIL's house for cocktails and finger food. I stayed home. My SIL's sister's husband had a liver transplant a few years back. Liver failure was due to obesity. He lost over a hundred pounds all by himself but it was too late for his liver so he had a transplant. He is going to be on a Rose Parade float this year because of the transplant. So cool! We have all worked on the floats and Katie used to march in the parade every year but none of us has ever been on a float.

I got up at 5AM but it was too cold in the house to do anything. I finally turned on the heat to take off the chill so I could do a little prep work for dinner tonight. We are having a 1-rib roast. I am not sure how to cook it. Maybe on a low grill.

NormM

avatar
A one rib roast is basically a bone-in rib-eye steak. I'd cook it like a thick steak on the grill or under the broiler.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

NormM

avatar
Charlie got me a couple of cooking things for Christmas. Here they are.  Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker that can also make yogurt, cook rice, saute, slow cook and a few more things I don't know about yet.  The pan is Aus-Ion made in Austrailia.


http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

avatar
I found a recipe on Serious Eats on how to do one. Ours is about 3 inches thick. I have to improvise though. We only have a Weber Baby Q which only has one burner. So I think I am going to put the steak in my turkey roaster on low with a probe thermometer to monitor the temp. Bake/roast at whatever temp they say. take it off 10 degrees before I want the temp to be and then throw it on the preheated grill and try and char the outside. We'll see what happens. I could grill on low, take it off when rare is reached. crank the grill up to high for 10 minutes and then slap the steak back on to get a good char. I dunno, What ya think?

NormM

avatar
Sounds like a plan except I don't know about cooking it on low. That might let it dry out. Maybe not.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

avatar
Admin
OK, so I'm here to tell about the "# lb. of standing rib roast times 5 minutes at 500° then turn off the oven and let it alone for 2 hours" method of cooking.

IT WORKS!!!!!

Man, I was sweating bullets, believe me. I mean, I was messin' around with $160 hunk-o-beef paid for by my BFF's husband.....I did NOT want to screw it up and disappoint 9 people sitting around the table and have them all stare at me and I'd know they would think I was a real jerk!

But it was perfect as far as anyone was concerned.

I was surprised, however, that the roast shrunk by about 50% of the length from raw to cooked. I should have taken a 'before' pic but I didn't think about it.

Here it is out of the oven and ready to slice (with an electric knife).....The crust was really flavorful. I ended up using fresh chopped thyme & some dry rosemary mixed into a softened stick of butter and slathered all over the roast, then liberally sprinkled with salt & pepper ~ on to a rack in a foil covered roasting pan (no sense in scrubbing when you can just fold & toss!).



Of course I announced, "WAIT! I need a picture!" And everyone just sat still......Hahahahaha



My plate. I was so disappointed but it was the same as always. I took a bite of each item to see how it tasted, checking for seasoning, etc., but was unable to eat my meal....Twice baked potatoes, glazed carrots, Brussels sprouts w/bacon, green bean casserole and Fresh Market herb knot rolls.



And here are the little Raspberry Mousse Chocolate Cups I made for dessert. Marcie made apple pie and brought a sweet potato pie that no one even tasted.

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum