Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER

+4
NormM
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 15]

26"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I couldn't do without my Breville toaster oven. Since my Dacor is broken, everything goes into the Breville. The only thing it doesn't do well with is custard. I think because I forgot to turn off the convection button. Custard should never be cooked on convection.

27"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:08 pm

NormM

NormM

The Breville has three settings. Besides low and high there is a setting that starts on high then after two hours, turns to low.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

28"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper for GD and me, was a cheeseburger on the grill. DD gave us some ground beef to try from a butcher shop. It was great, and ground two or three times.
Tina has stomach issues today, so she abstained from eating.

I did grill her 10 pigs feet and 2 ham hocks so she can make jelled pigs feet. It's slowly cooking in the lodge big pot now. The house smells awesome with garlic flavor.

29"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:12 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Gabbing at the table over caprese sandwiches wondering about this WikiLeaks thing. This is all I am going to say about politics but this election has been an absolute hoot. You never know what is going to happen next.

30"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:00 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made a butterscotch meringue pie this morning. I made the crust with pastry flour. Never used it before. Very good results. I made a pasta salad and am marinating some chicken with a tandoori-style rub. I will throw that on the grill. We are going to a matinee to see "Scully". Anyone see it? What did you think?

31"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have not seen the movie yet but some friends went and gave it good reviews.....enjoy

32"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn asked me to drive her to Maitland, FL for her knee surgery doctor check-up today and we went out to lunch after she was done. She's doing wonderfully, by the way.....Heck, I'd still be moanin' about having my leg cut off in TWO places and she is practically ready to dance the night away. What a trooper!

We saw a place that looked interesting and stopped. It was very nice. I had a Thai Steak and Noodle Salad with a peanut dressing ~ interesting tastes of Thai basil and Kefir lime.....I could have done without the cilantro but it wasn't overpowering so it was OK. The steak was in small 'chunks' instead of thinly sliced and shingled on top....it had been marinated in a wonderful flavor (couldn't quite decide what it was) and the dressing was a sesame based flavor. Very good.

Lyn had a shaved steak 'French Dip' sandwich with a side of parsley slaw and she was very happy with her choice.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 IMG_20161004_124039439

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 IMG_20161004_124023043

After lunch we went next door to the Trader Joes. I only wanted to pick up a couple jars of their Smoky Peach Salsa but they had a good deal on Gala apples and the new season squash was in....I got two delicata squash and two little Honeynut, which are like baby butternut but sweeter. I know Cyn remembers them from when she found them last year.

So, for supper tonight I made one of the delicata squash (baked ~ and the skin is thin and tender, you can eat it), pork steak for me, chicken cutlet for 'HIM' and our favorite lima beans. Everyone is happy!

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 IMG_20161004_171510986

By the way....I don't know HOW my pics showed up, but they did....so hopefully I'll continue to be able to post. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

33"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Lyn asked me to drive her to Maitland, FL for her knee surgery doctor check-up today and we went out to lunch after she was done.  She's doing wonderfully, by the way.....Heck, I'd still be moanin' about having my leg cut off in TWO places and she is practically ready to dance the night away.  What a trooper!

We saw a place that looked interesting and stopped.  It was very nice.  I had a Thai Steak and Noodle Salad with a peanut dressing ~ interesting tastes of Thai basil and Kefir lime.....I could have done without the cilantro but it wasn't overpowering so it was OK.  The steak was in small 'chunks' instead of thinly sliced and shingled on top....it had been marinated in a wonderful flavor (couldn't quite decide what it was) and the dressing was a sesame based flavor.  Very good.  

Lyn had a shaved steak 'French Dip' sandwich with a side of parsley slaw and she was very happy with her choice.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 IMG_20161004_124039439

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 IMG_20161004_124023043

After lunch we went next door to the Trader Joes.  I only wanted to pick up a couple jars of their Smoky Peach Salsa but they had a good deal on Gala apples and the new season squash was in....I got two delicata squash and two little Honeynut, which are like baby butternut but sweeter.  I know Cyn remembers them from when she found them last year.

So, for supper tonight I made one of the delicata squash (baked ~ and the skin is thin and tender, you can eat it), pork steak for me, chicken cutlet for 'HIM' and our favorite lima beans.  Everyone is happy!

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 IMG_20161004_171510986

By the way....I don't know HOW my pics showed up, but they did....so hopefully I'll continue to be able to post.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

It all looks good; especially the squash, and the shaved steak. Cut so nice and ready for the mouth.

34"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I made chicken salad with the soup thighs and a breast. DIL stopped to get some. She likes my chicken salad.
I'm gonna have a hot pastrami on rye with mustard. Tina bouht the pastrami yesterday at a deli.

Scratch the pastrami.... thats for tomorrow.
Tina brought me some pizza from Villa Venice. yum!

35"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:02 pm

NormM

NormM

Bugster, I don't think I have ever had a butterscotch pie but it sound good.

Beth you meal looks great.

I took Charlie to the airport this morning and he won't be back until Sat. evening. I had leftovers for dinner then cleaned the dirtiest part of the the carpet and kitchen. I took the leaf out of the table to make it shorter. I expect I'll be planting some shrubs to replace a wild rose bush that i took out because it was getting rangy and exposed dead parts.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

36"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:17 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I just bought a Breville 6 qt slow cooker for 130.00. Regular price was listed at $250.

If you go to You Tube and look for BBQ with Franklin: The Brisket.  He explains how to prepare a brisket for the smoker and he leaves a quarter inch of fat on the brisket.  It is enough to keep the brisket from drying out and too much fat is... well too fatty.  The fastest I have ever had a whole brisket get done in the smoker is 8 hours and it was very tender but not falling apart.  He says (not on this tape) that if you cut a slice as thick as a pencil and hold it up, it should stay together but pull apart with a little tug.

Yeah, we always keep about that much fat on it, as neither of us like a big flappy piece of fat on each slice. Fat on a grill is divine when it's cooked all crispy but smoked fat has no real appeal other than to baste the brisket. Same thing when we cook it in the oven; you want some fat but too much fat just looks too greasy in the pan even if you skim a lot out. I don't like that much fat cooking in my sauce.

It takes so long to reach the pull apart stage for brisket on the smoker so smoking it until it is tender (not dry but tender) is usually what we go for and end up with. But we slice ours thinly, Norm, when we cook it like that. Unlike Franklin, I call falling apart really falling apart. In my book, if you cut a slice as thick as a pencil, a "falling apart" brisket (like a pot roast) tends to literally fall apart while being sliced. I love it like that on the smoker but it just takes too much out of us to try to smoke something that long (we don't have any of those thingies hooked up to it that you can get that monitor temps in the smoker while you're snoozing or watching TV). It's much eaiser and faster to make pulled pork than pull apart brisket.

Mmm, now I'm hungry!

37"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:36 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:The Breville has three settings. Besides low and high there is a setting that starts on high then after two hours, turns to low.

Thanks, Norm. The Breville and the Cuisinart usually have the highest ratings of what I've read so far.

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Those Breville products are top of the line products. They are made in Australia. I bought each one of the kids for Christmas, the Pannini griddle machine. They have it almost 2 years now, and they both love them

And, Bugster, I've looked at those Breville toaster ovens -- they're really nice! Plus they have so much room inside.

38"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I made a butterscotch meringue pie this morning. I made the crust with pastry flour. Never used it before. Very good results. I made a pasta salad and am marinating some chicken with a tandoori-style rub. I will throw that on the grill. We are going to a matinee to see "Scully". Anyone see it? What did you think?

I got some Pastry Flour Blend recently, Debbie, but haven't tried it yet. Did you use just butter or butter and shortening? Thanks for the info.

39"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:44 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:So, for supper tonight I made one of the delicata squash (baked ~ and the skin is thin and tender, you can eat it), pork steak for me, chicken cutlet for 'HIM' and our favorite lima beans.  Everyone is happy!

The squash looked delicious. I've read about it and heard y'all talking about it but haven't seen it in the grocery. Your whole meal looked great. Love those limas, too!

40"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:48 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I made a butterscotch meringue pie this morning. I made the crust with pastry flour. Never used it before. Very good results. I made a pasta salad and am marinating some chicken with a tandoori-style rub. I will throw that on the grill. We are going to a matinee to see "Scully". Anyone see it? What did you think?

I got some Pastry Flour Blend recently, Debbie, but haven't tried it yet.  Did you use just butter or butter and shortening?  Thanks for the info.

I used butter and Crisco for the crust.

Norm, butterscotch pie is made with a butterscotch pudding. It has half & half, dark brown sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks and vanilla. This is all topped with meringue. the first one I had was back in the early 70's when my grandmother made one. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

41"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:23 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am so disappointed. When my sister was in Europe she bought some black truffles and was going to give one to me. The airlines lost her luggage so no truffle. It was the suitcase that had everything she bought while she was there. I don't understand lost luggage. No such thing. You either have it or you don't. If you don't then someone stole it.

42"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

I got some Pastry Flour Blend recently, Debbie, but haven't tried it yet.  Did you use just butter or butter and shortening?  Thanks for the info.

I used butter and Crisco for the crust.

Oh, good, as that's what I planned to use, too. Having no dishwasher is an excuse for not making too much right now, as poor Brian is doing enough dishes already! The guy phoned yesterday and said it would be delivered either today or tomorrow; since he hasn't called yet to tell us the installer was available today, I presume it will be delivered and installed tomorrow. It's about time!!!!

43"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:40 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I am so disappointed. When my sister was in Europe she bought some black truffles and was going to give one to me. The airlines lost her luggage so no truffle. It was the suitcase that had everything she bought while she was there. I don't understand lost luggage. No such thing. You either have it or you don't. If you don't then someone stole it.

Maybe they'll find it and get it to you, as that sometimes happens. I sure hope it happens to your sister so you get your fresh black truffle, Debbie. What a shame!

44"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:33 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am making a cheater version of an Italian wedding soup. I bought some Sabatino's chicken meatballs from Costco and am just going to throw them in instead of making my own. Garlic bread on the side. It is going to get close to 100 with winds in the next few days so I am making cool meals for those days. Extreme fire danger. I hope there aren't any. A few years ago we had one about a mile away where we could see flames from the house. The air was so bad I had a cough for 6 months.

I did something last year for fire danger: I wrote a list of what to grab and where it was located just in case we ever have to evacuate. It will help because usually you are in a panic mode and aren't thinking straight. I have the list taped on a wall in my closet.

45"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's a good idea to plan for a fire event....and you're right ~ IF it's close enough to cause an evacuation you want to be sure to have all the really important stuff. Most everything can be replaced, but the sentimental stuff and people cannot. Stay safe.

We're in 'hurricane' mode. It was dreary this morning and then this afternoon the blue skies and white clouds reappeared. The wind has kicked up a bit but it's nothing much at this time. We're expecting the most weather incidents on Thursday and Friday so we'll see.

Dane trimmed our Queen Palm tree this morning because the fronds were hanging over the courtyard wall into the neighbors' side. We noticed the crown of our tree is all black and singed ~ looks like it took a lightning hit. We'll have to wait and see if it recovers and starts to re-grow, otherwise we'll have to have it taken down. That would upset us because we both really like the looks of it and cannot afford to have a big one to replace it.

46"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw a recipe in my latest 'Cooking Light' magazine and made a "sort-of" spin off of that. Spaghetti Pie.

A bit of spaghetti sauce with some ground beef, Italian seasoning, onion, jarred marinara, mozzarella, spinach, egg and spaghetti.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 IMG_20161005_171553800

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 IMG_20161005_171820310

Mr. Amazing gave it a 'thumbs-up'. I made a tossed salad with a simple white basalmic vinegarette and split a bakery roll between the two of us.

47"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina picked up what she called "The wrong apples", for apple Betty. It came out too watery. Still edible though. I'll try mine for dessert after supper.

Tina made a tomato sauce with meatballs that I froze a couple weeks ago. Some macaroni and that's supper for today!

48"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Niagara Visitor

Stir fry of mushrooms, onions, peppers, Swiss Chard and scallops tonight.

Stay safe in Florida everyone!

49"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:12 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I saw a recipe in my latest 'Cooking Light' magazine and made a "sort-of" spin off of that.  Spaghetti Pie.

A bit of spaghetti sauce with some ground beef, Italian seasoning, onion, jarred marinara, mozzarella, spinach, egg and spaghetti.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 IMG_20161005_171553800

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 IMG_20161005_171820310

Mr. Amazing gave it a 'thumbs-up'.  I made a tossed salad with a simple white basalmic vinegarette and split a bakery roll between the two of us.

That pie surely looks good! Nice and Cheesy! Wink

50"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 2 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:14 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Stir fry of mushrooms, onions, peppers, Swiss Chard and scallops tonight.  

Stay safe in Florida everyone!

Ummm!..... Sounds good Lore!

Scallops are my favorite.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum