Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER

+4
NormM
Niagara Visitor
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 15]

176"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We didn't eat that many salads growing up. When mom an dad wished for a salad, it wouldbe with spinach, endive, olives, radishes,chunks of cheese, chunks of salami, and grapes. Green onions.
Then throw in tangerine or orange sections...........Oil and Vinegar as a dressing.....yuuuuuk!

We ( brother and I ), could not see eating sweet things like grapes and tangerines in a salad!

177"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:"Tina made a lemon chiffon pie. Umm!"

Umm is right!  Oh, my, but that sounds good!  You're a lucky man!

I sure am lucky, but right now, I'm a sick sick man! ..... I ate Two (2) large pieces of that pie. Well worth being sick over though!

178"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:07 pm

NormM

NormM

I think it's almost impossible to define what a salad is by the ingredients.  If it has tomato, onions, lettuce, croutons and chicken, it would have the same ingredients in a chicken sandwich... if you make the sandwich with toast.  Or you could make a salad with the same ingredients in a BLT.

Then you get into such things as potato salad or tuna salad.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

179"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:19 pm

Niagara Visitor

I took my sis out for her pre-birthday dinner. (B-day is on the 19th) She had a steak, I had some wonderful Lake Erie pickeral, great veggies, baked potato. YUMM!

180"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:13 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We didn't eat that many salads growing up. When mom an dad wished for a salad, it would be with spinach, endive, olives, radishes, chunks of cheese, chunks of salami, and grapes. Green onions.

Then throw in tangerine or orange sections...........Oil and Vinegar as a dressing.....yuuuuuk!

We ( brother and I ), could not see eating sweet things like grapes and tangerines in a salad!

Jimmy, we didn't eat that many lettuce salads either.  We only had lettuce topped with cottage cheese and either a halved peach or pear with our holiday dinners, Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I love fruit on lettuce salads... fresh blueberries, fresh strawberries, also adding canned mandarin oranges, canned pineapple, and some sort of nuts as well.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 SANY7506

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Mandarin%2BOrange%2BSalad%2Bwith%2BPeanuts%2B003

Salad made with Romaine Lettuce, canned mandarin oranges, dry roasted peanuts, and topped with a home-made sweetened red wine vinegar dressing and poppy seeds.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 SANY1954

Salad made with Baby Romaine Lettuce, along with mandarin oranges, canned pineapple chunks, sliced almonds, and topped with my own dressing creation... Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing.

181"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:24 pm

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

We're having...

Pumpkin Pancakes

Bacon

Applesauce

Northland's Blueberry Blackberry Juice

182"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I think that sometimes we just have a preconceived, narrow notion of what a salad is.  I know I grew up with very, very limited variety in salads.

My SIL, who is NOT a good cook (and that is an understatement), once had Brian and I for dinner many years ago. She said, as she was setting dinner on the table, "Michelle, we don't like salad in my house but I know you and Brian do." She had a large plate on the table covered in wet iceberg lettuce with a bottle of dressing next to it.

Brian was totally confused on the drive home. He said, "Well, maybe they'd like salad if she made one. That was lettuce. Wet lettuce on a plate." I was in hysterics laughing at him.

Beth, your steak salad looked absolutely divine. Delicious as well as pretty -- just like we were speaking of! It actually made my mouth water, which is not bad for a salad.

183"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

1DomesticGoddess wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We didn't eat that many salads growing up. When mom an dad wished for a salad, it would be with spinach, endive, olives, radishes, chunks of cheese, chunks of salami, and grapes. Green onions.

Jimmy, we didn't eat that many lettuce salads either.  We only had lettuce topped with cottage cheese and either a halved peach or pear with our holiday dinners, Thanksgiving or Christmas.

I love fruit on lettuce salads... fresh blueberries, fresh strawberries, also adding canned mandarin oranges, canned pineapple, and some sort of nuts as well.

Salad made with Romaine Lettuce, canned mandarin oranges, dry roasted peanuts, and topped with a home-made sweetened red wine vinegar dressing and poppy seeds.

Salad made with Baby Romaine Lettuce, along with mandarin oranges, canned pineapple chunks, sliced almonds, and topped with my own dressing creation... Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing.

Your salads look delicious DG! The first time I went someplace and they had fresh blueberries as a garnish for a large tossed salad I gave them a try.....delicious with a raspberry vinegarette! One of the 'old time' restaurants where I grew up had a signature salad, Strawberry Spinach, that was a HUGE success. Before closing her restaurant to retire, the owner allowed her recipe to be published in the local newspaper. It was fresh spinach leaves, sliced strawberries, thinly sliced red onions (soaked in ice water to remove the 'bite' ~ I think that's where I learned that tip), toasted slivered almonds and a homemade poppy seed dressing. I still make that salad, mostly at Christmas, because it's so pretty.

184"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't remember many salads in our house but I do remember the dressing: Bob's Roquefort salad dressing.

185"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:I think that sometimes we just have a preconceived, narrow notion of what a salad is.  I know I grew up with very, very limited variety in salads.

My SIL, who is NOT a good cook (and that is an understatement), once had Brian and I for dinner many years ago.  She said, as she was setting dinner on the table, "Michelle, we don't like salad in my house but I know you and Brian do."  She had a large plate on the table covered in wet iceberg lettuce with a bottle of dressing next to it.  

Brian was totally confused on the drive home.  He said, "Well, maybe they'd like salad if she made one.  That was lettuce.  Wet lettuce on a plate."  I was in hysterics laughing at him.  

Beth, your steak salad looked absolutely divine.  Delicious as well as pretty -- just like we were speaking of!  It actually made my mouth water, which is not bad for a salad.

Isn't it funny how some people just don't 'get it' when it comes to eating fresh, raw greens? Oddly enough, cold, crisp iceberg lettuce is still one of my favorites - especially when you slice a wedge, add a spoonful of a creamy (best homemade) dressing and a sprinkle of bacon crumbles. (Oh, OK, so probably a sprinkle of grated cheese, too, if you MUST....) That's such a 'steak house special'. But it's got to be cold and crisp. If it's room temperature and wet and soggy it's about as gross as it gets.

186"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:

My SIL, who is NOT a good cook (and that is an understatement), once had Brian and I for dinner many years ago.  She said, as she was setting dinner on the table, "Michelle, we don't like salad in my house but I know you and Brian do."  She had a large plate on the table covered in wet iceberg lettuce with a bottle of dressing next to it.  

Brian was totally confused on the drive home.  He said, "Well, maybe they'd like salad if she made one.  That was lettuce.  Wet lettuce on a plate."  I was in hysterics laughing at him.  

Beth, your steak salad looked absolutely divine.  Delicious as well as pretty -- just like we were speaking of!  It actually made my mouth water, which is not bad for a salad.

Your SIL reminds me of an old movie "Never Too Late" where Connie Stevens made a salad for dinner. She was mad as she was making it so it was a head of iceburg lettuce, hacked into quarters and she cut a tomato into quarters and then pulled out a huge jar of Miracle Whip and globbed huge spoonfuls of the vile stuff onto the lettuce. Too funny.

187"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Back in the 1960's my grandma had lots of dinners (she was the best cook I've ever known!) and she was known for her creative salads and condiments.

She made cabbage salads, sauerkraut salad, celery salad, 5-Ingredient salad, Waldorf salad, molded jello salad (family favorite: orange jello w/grated cabbage and carrot, crushed pineapple and ground walnuts - topped with a dollop of Miracle Whip), cranberry salad(s), potato salads, egg salads.....oh, gosh, the list went on and on.

Then her table would always have little dishes of her pickled onions, pickles, cucumber relish(s) ~ so many different kinds. Her bread and butter pickles were always my favorite.

188"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

Your SIL reminds me of an old movie "Never Too Late" where Connie Stevens made a salad for dinner. She was mad as she was making it so it was a head of iceburg lettuce, hacked into quarters and she cut a tomato into quarters and then pulled out a huge jar of Miracle Whip and globbed huge spoonfuls of the vile stuff onto the lettuce. Too funny.

What are you talking about???? That sounds just about perfect to ME!

lol! "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 2876911673 "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 2876911673 "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 2876911673 lol!

189"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:15 pm

Niagara Visitor

That spinchach, strawberry, onion salad with poppy seed dressing was very popular around here in the 80s.

190"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:That spinchach, strawberry, onion salad with poppy seed dressing was very popular around here in the 80s.  

I think that's about the time that the Northwood Villa closed it's doors.....

191"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I've known a couple of people who really liked a "wedge salad," what Beth described and what is often served at a steakhouse. I always thought it was something a restaurant made when they didn't feel like making a "real" salad. Not bad but in my opinion, difficult to eat and not that rewarding. My father loved them but I never really figured out why, as chop the lettuce, sprinkle some bacon on it and use bleu cheese dressing (or whatever type you like) and you've got a pretty boring salad!

I never cared for a Waldorf salad either. Fruit mixed with mayo (or MW, for that matter) just doesn't appeal to me. Neither does Jello with either one. Just not for me, though I'm sure I'm in the minority.

192"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:22 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Wedge salads are the thing out here in trendy restaurants. They have the nerve to charge $20 or more for one.

193"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Wedge salads are the thing out here in trendy restaurants. They have the nerve to charge $20 or more for one.

If you come to MY house I'll only charge you $15 for it......

Hahahahahaha!

194"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:I've known a couple of people who really liked a "wedge salad," what Beth described and what is often served at a steakhouse.  I always thought it was something a restaurant made when they didn't feel like making a "real" salad.  Not bad but in my opinion, difficult to eat and not that rewarding.  My father loved them but I never really figured out why, as chop the lettuce, sprinkle some bacon on it and use bleu cheese dressing (or whatever type you like) and you've got a pretty boring salad!

I never cared for a Waldorf salad either.  Fruit mixed with mayo (or MW, for that matter) just doesn't appeal to me.  Neither does Jello with either one.  Just not for me, though I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Whenever we have a holiday dinner together as a family BOTH my daughters ask for the orange jello w/cabbage, carrots, pineapple & walnuts with Miracle Whip (sometimes mixed with sweetened whipped cream). It's been a standard for as long as I can remember, surely started by my dear grandma.

But we've had guests attend on occasion (new boyfriends, new husbands, friends, etc.) and most tried to be polite and put just a tiny bit on their plate. Once in a while one of them would actually LIKE it and comment on how unusual it is. Others can be seen almost choking as they 'overthink' what they just put into their mouth ~ LOL.

But every family has it's own traditions and tastes. It's the same as with all foods. Some you like, some you don't. I don't care what anyone eats as long as they clean up the mess!

195"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Growing up in an Italian family / atmosphere, most greens like endive, lettuce,escarole, cabbage....etc. , were put in a pot ( every day ), and boiled down into a slime of super cooked what they called Minestra! Sometimes potato wedges or pork cubes were added. Fennel seeds, and sometimes white beans.

They treated that pot of greens as the answer to vitamins and sources of iron. My mom said to us kids,"If you don't eat the greens, I'll make fried liver; and you'll eat that!"

Till this day, I love cooked greens. Not every day though!

196"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:47 pm

Niagara Visitor

Now you see the threat of fried liver wouldn't have made me eat slime. I love liver! LOL

197"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No matter how I try, Lore, I cannot swallow liver.....and I have tried. My mom use to make it for her and Dane because they both love it.....she had a shallow, grated grill pan she used with just a bit of oil in the pan. She would cook it to medium rare and then serve it with a bunch of sauteed onions, along with some boiled white potatoes. They loved it!

My girls and I would have burgers or hot dogs, but no liver for us. LOL

Supper was a success ~ huge surprise! I had my marinara and meatballs on top of baked spaghetti squash as DD#1 often makes for her family. HE had his marinara and meatballs on thin spaghetti with a side of the squash seasoned with butter & s&p and a spoonful of marinara. It's the first time I've ever heard him say, "That's not bad at all." Of course, I had PLANS to eat a second helping of the squash with the butter & s&p but I guess it's OK if he had a small serving to try it.......but I really did want it. I ended up having about 1/4 c. of spaghetti noodles just so I didn't feel left out! I also added a stemmed package of baby spinach to the marinara ~ won't make that mistake again. It just cooked down way too much and was more 'slimey' than I intended. I don't know, maybe I put it into the sauce too soon and it cooked down too much. It would have been better if I had used kale.....but I have plans for my kale for a meal for later in the week.

I would have appreciated a nice dinner roll with my supper but since we had one with our meal last night I figured I'd better not push my luck with my carb-counter.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 IMG_20161017_172350165

198"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Niagara Visitor

I like chicken livers doe with peppers, onions, bacon. Livers dredged in flour first, lots of black pepper, a bit of soya sauce.

199"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:07 pm

NormM

NormM

Beth, your strawberry spinach salad sounded good so I decided to make it. I didn't know what to have with it and I didn't feel like doing anything that would take a lot of work or time, then I saw that strip steaks were on sale.

"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 DSCN3795_zpshmrsbbqi

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

200"OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER - Page 8 Empty Re: "OCTOBER 2016" WHATS FOR DINNER Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Norm and Beth.... your meals look great.

We had breaded pork chops. Good! Had with apple sauce.
I had mac salad....Tina had mashed potatoes.

More Lemon Pie for dessert now!..... Only one piece for me this time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum