Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A HUGE WELCOME

+12
Crybaby
Bugster2
thesweetestpea
Imelda HL
Great Grandma Evelyn
UNCLE JIMMY
jetfan27
bethk
LisaSD
NormM
cookingirl
Barbara101
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

91 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Sun May 24, 2015 8:10 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Those steroids are nasty. My MIL had to take them and fractured her vertebrae just by sitting down on her bed. Is there a bone building drug you might take?

My primary physician seemed to think if I have osteoporosis (which I doubt as I was a milk girl my whole life and still eat a lot of dairy) that those drugs could help me regenerate my bones. My ortho doc just smiled and said bone won't regenerate in someone my age (61).

Yep, I don't have to do a thing to fracture my vertebrae, which he said is normal for those who took high doses of steroids. I'm sure I fractured one on Friday a.m.; the knifing pain -- even worse than what I now experience daily -- came later on in the afternoon. I'd felt a little what I call "electric shock" in my lower back Friday a.m. when I stooped down to wipe something off the bedroom carpet that I'd dropped. Today, Sunday, that type of pain is waning and I'm getting back to my usual everyday excruciating pain.

Brian has been amazing. He literally does everything -- cooking, laundry, working on the garden including watering and fertilizing all the plans, grocery shopping, and waiting on me hand and foot all day (not to mention mixing my medicine every other day, hooking me up to the new cassette of meds and then weekly, cleaning and re-bandaging my IV entrance point in my arm). He starts off every day (and remember he has stenosis of the spine and prostate cancer on the base of his spine) by going downstairs, making coffee, bringing me coffee in bed along with his so we can watch the news together and then goes downstairs again to get us each another cup. I hate eating when I'm in pain but he can't resist sometime bringing some little white donuts, one or two of which I can get down with coffee! Plus my poor baby has to eat something as he takes a lot of pills each morning, including a killer pain pill.

On a good day when my pain pill (or pills some mornings) has already kicked in and is working well, I'm able to go out on the balcony off our bedroom with Brian and look at the levee and the Mississippi River. Occasional walkers, joggers, bike riders and baby stroller pushers pass, along with huge freighters and the occasional cruise ship if we're out there really early, barges, tugs and pushboats -- we see them all and many times exchange hellos and good mornings with several of those using the levee. Very relaxing though the cypress furniture we have out there is a little tough on my back. Brian brings out three old down bed pillows for me to sit on when I'm able to make it out there -- even after having to do everything for me and the household, he still thinks of things to make it easier or more pleasant for me. So even though I feel sorry for myself way too often lately, I truly am blessed.

92 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Sun May 24, 2015 11:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Those steroids are nasty. My MIL had to take them and fractured her vertebrae just by sitting down on her bed. Is there a bone building drug you might take?

My primary physician seemed to think if I have osteoporosis (which I doubt as I was a milk girl my whole life and still eat a lot of dairy) that those drugs could help me regenerate my bones.  My ortho doc just smiled and said bone won't regenerate in someone my age (61).

Yep, I don't have to do a thing to fracture my vertebrae, which he said is normal for those who took high doses of steroids.  I'm sure I fractured one on Friday a.m.; the knifing pain -- even worse than what I now experience daily -- came later on in the afternoon.  I'd felt a little what I call "electric shock" in my lower back Friday a.m. when I stooped down to wipe something off the bedroom carpet that I'd dropped.  Today, Sunday, that type of pain is waning and I'm getting back to my usual everyday excruciating pain.  

Brian has been amazing.  He literally does everything -- cooking, laundry, working on the garden including watering and fertilizing all the plans, grocery shopping, and waiting on me hand and foot all day (not to mention mixing my medicine every other day, hooking me up to the new cassette of meds and then weekly, cleaning and re-bandaging my IV entrance point in my arm).  He starts off every day (and remember he has stenosis of the spine and prostate cancer on the base of his spine) by going downstairs, making coffee, bringing me coffee in bed along with his so we can watch the news together and then goes downstairs again to get us each another cup.  I hate eating when I'm in pain but he can't resist sometime bringing some little white donuts, one or two of which I can get down with coffee!  Plus my poor baby has to eat something as he takes a lot of pills each morning, including a killer pain pill.  

On a good day when my pain pill (or pills some mornings) has already kicked in and is working well, I'm able to go out on the balcony off our bedroom with Brian and look at the levee and the Mississippi River.  Occasional walkers, joggers, bike riders and baby stroller pushers pass, along with huge freighters and the occasional cruise ship if we're out there really early, barges, tugs and pushboats -- we see them all and many times exchange hellos and good mornings with several of those using the levee.  Very relaxing though the cypress furniture we have out there is a little tough on my back.  Brian brings out three old down bed pillows for me to sit on when I'm able to make it out there -- even after having to do everything for me and the household, he still thinks of things to make it easier or more pleasant for me.  So even though I feel sorry for myself way too often lately, I truly am blessed.  

I just finally pulled up my chair, and read this beautiful post about Brian, and How so loving he took the bull by the horns, and is so helpful to you.
God Bless him, and you. I guess, this is the part of that vow, that says,'Through sickness and Health!"..... Brian is living up to his part, if that may be the case.

Just remember, when you are healed, by the grace of God, and with keeping the faith, and with the medical technology of today, I'm sure in the not too distant future, you will make a nice breakfast for Brian, and serve Him in Bed! ..... I could see that.
As much as you enjoy the travel craft near the levy's and the relaxation and piece of mind sitting on the porch in your pillow padded chair, you remember, look just a little further, and you Will See yourself with less pain, and you Will See yourself healing. And all the while, all the love of Brian shall support you, and strengthen you even more.
You are both made for each other, and Pray that you shall serve each other, and be with each other ( literally ), for a long long time.  A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 3561122519

93 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Mon May 25, 2015 8:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Awwww....both wonderful posts.

Ditto on what Jimmy said, Michelle. You and Brian are both fortunate to have each other. Stay strong and know we are all praying for you to have strength and courage to complete your treatment. I'm sure Brian just wants to make things as easy as possible for you....that's life love, to be sure!

And, like you said, You are blessed.

94 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Mon May 25, 2015 11:08 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Michelle, ((hugs))) -------what a wonderful tribute to Brian...
Sounds like you guys are truly love, honor, and respect each other; in other words~true friends in marriage...((hugs))

95 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Tue May 26, 2015 5:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I just finally pulled up my chair, and read this beautiful post about Brian, and How so loving he took the bull by the horns, and is so helpful to you.
God Bless him, and you. I guess, this is the part of that vow, that says,'Through sickness and Health!"..... Brian is living up to his part, if that may be the case.

Just remember, when you are healed, by the grace of God, and with keeping the faith, and with the medical technology of today, I'm sure in the not too distant future, you will make a nice breakfast for Brian, and serve Him in Bed! ..... I could see that.
As much as you enjoy the travel craft near the levy's and the relaxation and piece of mind sitting on the porch in your pillow padded chair, you remember, look just a little further, and you Will See yourself with less pain, and you Will See yourself healing. And all the while, all the love of Brian shall support you, and strengthen you even more.
You are both made for each other, and Pray that you shall serve each other, and be with each other ( literally ), for a long long time.  A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 3561122519

Goodness, Jimmy, you made me cry.  What a kind, sweet, darling message!  I happen to think Tina is a pretty lucky lady, too!

And don't worry, as if this procedure helps me get around "normally" again, he's going to be spoiled rotten.  About six months before he retired, I would bring him coffee in bed in the morning, and when he smiled and woke up, I would say, "This is what retirement is going to be like, baby!"  And it was (when I was able to beat him getting up earlier) for about 2 years.  Then came the PH diagnosis last July/August but I quickly got strong enough to go up the stairs with no problem so morning coffee was on again.  And in better days (again, when  was able to beat him up as we're both early risers), I have served him breakfast in bed -- he always acted like it was the best thing in the world, too!  

We are lucky that we're still happily married (and just plain happy together, as we crack one another up every day), as I don't think a mediocre marriage could survive my being so immobile, in such pain (and often times I'm grouchy between moans!) and able to be of no help around the house!  We celebrated 36 years together last April and both of us feel lucky that we made it to retirement together!

Again, thank so much for your kind, encouraging message, Jimmy.  You're such a special person.  A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 3561122519

Last edited by Crybaby on Tue May 26, 2015 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

96 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Tue May 26, 2015 6:00 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Awwww....both wonderful posts.

Ditto on what Jimmy said, Michelle.  You and Brian are both fortunate to have each other.  Stay strong and know we are all praying for you to have strength and courage to complete your treatment.  I'm sure Brian just wants to make things as easy as possible for you....that's life love, to be sure!

And, like you said, You are blessed.

Thanks, Beth! I can't tell you how much your prayers are appreciated, not to mention your kind words.

97 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Tue May 26, 2015 6:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:Michelle, ((hugs))) -------what a wonderful tribute to Brian...
Sounds like you guys are truly love, honor, and respect each other; in other words~true friends in marriage...((hugs))

Aww, Cyn, that's so sweet of you. I always tell people that Brian is the best decision I ever made, and it's true.

Loved your orange baby in your avatar -- too cute!

98 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty What a surprise! Thu May 03, 2018 12:39 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

I was amazed to see this board resurrected from the dead! It's been 5 long years. I was very surprised to see a number of posts I made back in 2013 are still floating around the intertubes.
Good to see ya, Norm & Uncle Jimmy! Glad to know you're still around - and a big HELLO to all the rest of y'all, too!
Running late for work, so no foodie news right now - Just wanted to check in, I'll catch y'all later!
HOWDY!

99 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Thu May 03, 2018 2:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Glad to have you back to join us!

Bring us up to date when you have time.

100 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Thu May 03, 2018 4:37 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

Hey guys! I decided to check in with you. It's been a long time. I have been working and moving and playing with the 7 grand kids. Have been working as a baker/ pastry chef/ pizza maker atGeorgian Court University here in Jersey. I really love the job. I can do anything I want for desserts. The only thing I have to adhere to is the catering menus. I am retiring, AGAIN, on May 15. Decided I want to enjoy life now and also my wife was diagnosed with Meniere's disease. It is an inner ear problem where she will be fine and suddenly her ear starts buzzing and within seconds, she can't even stand up.
I know I said it before, but I will really try to get back more, now that I will have a little more time. But with babysitting grandkids and a honey do list a mile long, that leisure time might be short. I hope everyone is doing well and cooking their brains out. Miss all of you!

101 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Thu May 03, 2018 5:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW! What a great day to have you return....you HAVE been missed.

I am forever grateful to you for teaching me how to make your beautiful braided egg bread. It's one of my greatest cooking accomplishments and it's all to your credit.

Come back whenever you can.....and tell your wife we all say, "Hi!"

102 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Thu May 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

muzicgirl wrote:I was amazed to see this board resurrected from the dead!  It's been 5 long years.  I was very surprised to see a number of posts I made back in 2013 are still floating around the intertubes.
Good to see ya,  Norm & Uncle Jimmy!  Glad to know you're still around - and a big HELLO to all the rest of y'all, too!
Running late for work, so no foodie news right now - Just wanted to check in, I'll catch y'all later!
HOWDY!

Hey Muzicgirl -- welcome back! You and your beautiful, delicious sounding vegetarian meals will be fun to hear about and see once again. Yep, we're all still here and still chatting away, and it has indeed been 5 years since Beth started this forum -- and she's still taking very good care of all of us! We're very grateful that she makes this forum possible for us, as we're not large in numbers but very large in friendship.

Nice to see you back. Can't wait to see your beautiful meals again, too.

103 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Thu May 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

jetfan27 wrote:Hey guys! I decided to check in with you. It's been a long time. I have been working and moving and playing with the 7 grand kids. Have been working as a baker/ pastry chef/ pizza maker atGeorgian Court University here in Jersey. I really love the job. I can do anything I want for desserts. The only thing I have to adhere to is the catering  menus. I am retiring, AGAIN, on May 15. Decided I want to enjoy life now and also my wife was diagnosed with Meniere's disease. It is an inner ear problem where she will be fine and suddenly her ear starts buzzing and within seconds, she can't even stand up.
 I know I said it before, but I will really try to get back more, now that I will have a little more time. But with babysitting grandkids and a honey do list a mile long, that leisure time might be short. I hope everyone is doing well and cooking their brains out. Miss all of you!

What a great day -- first we hear from Muzicgirl and then you, Jetfan! It hasn't been a week since we spoke of you and how Beth felt making your eggbread was one of her best baking accomplishments -- and she gave you all the credit for walking her through it and holding her hand while she made it! Check out the bread area of this forum and you'll see the gorgeous bread recipe I posted that got us talking about you -- I'm determined I'm going to make that bread loaf as it was so gorgeous and yummy-looking on the cover of King Arthur Flour's catalog.

So sorry to hear your wife is not well but I know she'll be tickled pink to have you at home with her now that you've retired again. And we'll be lucky, too, if you can squeeze out some time to come around these parts when you're not busy as all get out.

Welcome back!
--Michelle a/k/a Crybaby in New Orleans

104 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Thu May 03, 2018 7:46 pm

NormM

NormM

HI Muzicgirl. So nice to hear from you after such a long time. Hi to you to jetfan27

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

105 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Thu May 03, 2018 11:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This is like a treat.... NJ dropped its grip with Mr. Winter, and gave us a nice warm-up! Then.... we hear from Jetfan 27 and Muzicgirl! W0W!

106 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Fri May 04, 2018 1:42 am

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

Well, thanks all, for the nice welcome back! A lot has gone down since last I saw you, I'll fill you in as we go along, I guess. Smile In the meantime, I'll post a coupla recipes over the next few days as I get the opportunity.

107 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Fri May 04, 2018 2:31 am

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

Crybaby wrote:
muzicgirl wrote:I was amazed to see this board resurrected from the dead!  It's been 5 long years.  I was very surprised to see a number of posts I made back in 2013 are still floating around the intertubes.
Good to see ya,  Norm & Uncle Jimmy!  Glad to know you're still around - and a big HELLO to all the rest of y'all, too!
HOWDY!

Hey Muzicgirl -- welcome back!  You and your beautiful, delicious sounding vegetarian meals will be fun to hear about and see once again.  Yep, we're all still here and still chatting away, and it has indeed been 5 years since Beth started this forum -- and she's still taking very good care of all of us! We're very grateful that she makes this forum possible for us, as we're not large in numbers but very large in friendship.  

Nice to see you back. Can't wait to see your beautiful meals again, too.

Thanks so much, Michelle! Very Happy  <3

108 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Fri May 04, 2018 2:33 am

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This is like a treat.... NJ dropped its grip with Mr. Winter, and gave us a nice warm-up! Then.... we hear from Jetfan 27 and Muzicgirl! W0W!

Smile

109 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Fri May 04, 2018 2:34 am

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

NormM wrote:HI Muzicgirl. So nice to hear from you after such a long time.  Hi to you to jetfan27
Norm, good to see your smiling face! Smile

110 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Fri May 04, 2018 7:03 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome.You really are a great bunch of friends. Beth, I'm so glad I helped you with braiding. Crybaby, always loved your recipes and posts. AND Norm, always were inspired by your photos of your creation. Fellow Jerseyite Jimmy, always love your posts and pics of great food. And Musicgirl, glad we both decided to come back at the same time

111 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Fri May 04, 2018 8:21 pm

muzicgirl

muzicgirl

jetfan27 wrote:Thank you all so much for the warm welcome.You really are a great bunch of friends.  Beth, I'm so glad I helped you with braiding. Crybaby, always loved your recipes and posts. AND Norm, always were inspired by your photos of your creation. Fellow Jerseyite Jimmy, always love your posts and pics of great food. And Musicgirl, glad we both decided to come back at the same time

Thanks, Jetfan!Smile

112 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:40 am

Cookin Lore

Test

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

113 A HUGE WELCOME - Page 5 Empty Re: A HUGE WELCOME Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:48 pm

Cookin Lore

Cookin Lore wrote:Test

My test was trying to add a picture, obviously it didn't work. But, I'm happy to see everyone back here!

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum