Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 19]

326JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 13612334_10154431423109052_566744173728990728_n

Fries green Tomato

327JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:Agreed Beth.Same here. I hold on to the old days of my family. I happen to like vegetables cooked to "death ". Some. No one will ever tell me that isn't good.
I do like an cook vegetables just steamed and love roasted and grilled and raw .

I don't have to ever give up on the old version.

We ate all veggies soft. Any hard ones, then someone would say..."These are not cooked, they are R A W !"..... Sheer Panic; especially grandma.

Yup ~ and always was said as if you would get worms if you ate it, like the raw dough. Hahahahaha! Of course, the raw dough was usually full of 'critters' that would grow in your belly if you didn't bake it off to kill 'em. You may not have seen those little devils but they were in most of the flour.

328JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:Agreed Beth.Same here. I hold on to the old days of my family. I happen to like vegetables cooked to "death ". Some. No one will ever tell me that isn't good.
I do like an cook vegetables just steamed and love roasted and grilled and raw .

I don't have to ever give up on the old version.

We ate all veggies soft. Any hard ones, then someone would say..."These are not cooked, they are R A W !"..... Sheer Panic; especially grandma.

Yup ~ and always was said as if you would get worms if you ate it, like the raw dough.  Hahahahaha!  Of course, the raw dough was usually full of 'critters' that would grow in your belly if you didn't bake it off to kill 'em.  You may not have seen those little devils but they were in most of the flour.

Yeah! LOL... and raw dough, or swallowing your gum, would stick to your heart, and you'll die. Eat your red beets so your blood stays red.
The bread crust makes your hair curly. Eat your greens and spinach so you get iron in the blood, and it makes you strong.

329JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just ate. Tina made sausage and meatballs in a great tomato sauce. Had that with Cut Ziti macaroni's ..... 1/2 a corn muffin buttered, and a coconut macaroon. yummm!!!

330JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

When you have the sausages with the meatballs, do you cut up the sausages so they look like the meatballs when all mixed up with the meatballs? Lately I've been hungry for just sauce and noodles, without the meat. I wonder if my body is tellin' me to try vegetarian for a while ~ nah, not likely! LOL

Tonight was 'by special request'. He will be leaving in a day or so and he wanted the chicken fingers I always made for him when he was little. Of course he waited until I was dishing everything up to notice the potatoes and say, "Oh, man, I was hoping you would make the same potatoes as last night...." So sad ~ his bad. He should have said something earlier if he wanted a repeat on the fried potatoes ~ the kid has good taste, they were REALLY good last night.

But you'll see something on my plate that you don't usually see....I put my peas on top of my smashed potatoes! Woo Hoo!!! My food is TOUCHING! Only happens with peas or corn and boiled or mashed potatoes. ((I'm such a baby.....LOL))

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 IMG_20160724_181355638

331JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:30 pm

Niagara Visitor

I think I am well on the way to forgetting how to cook................ went out with my sis for a late lunch, early supper.............. I call it Lupper.  Another steak was calling to me, I couldn't refuse, baked potato, carrots, broccolli and green beans.  Tomorrow it has to be just a salad, though.

332JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gee, Lore.....maybe if you brought part of your steak home in a 'doggy bag' you could plan to make a nice STEAK SALAD! That sounds great.

I would have loved to plan to have a 'fried chicken salad' tomorrow with the leftover chicken tenders that I made for tonight's supper. UNFORTUNATELY, the 13 year old ATE the leftovers about half an hour ago.....LOL

333JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:When you have the sausages with the meatballs, do you cut up the sausages so they look like the meatballs when all mixed up with the meatballs?  Lately I've been hungry for just sauce and noodles, without the meat.  I wonder if my body is tellin' me to try vegetarian for a while ~ nah, not likely!  LOL

Tonight was 'by special request'.  He will be leaving in a day or so and he wanted the chicken fingers I always made for him when he was little.  Of course he waited until I was dishing everything up to notice the potatoes and say, "Oh, man, I was hoping you would make the same potatoes as last night...." So sad ~ his bad.  He should have said something earlier if he wanted a repeat on the fried potatoes ~ the kid has good taste, they were REALLY good last night.

But you'll see something on my plate that you don't usually see....I put my peas on top of my smashed potatoes!  Woo Hoo!!! My food is TOUCHING!  Only happens with peas or corn and boiled or mashed potatoes.  ((I'm such a baby.....LOL))

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 IMG_20160724_181355638

We always generally leave the sausage links whole. The only time they get cut and on an angle ( about 2" long ), is when I make sausage cacciatore.
Sometimes sausage comes in a large continuous rope; so that is cut to about 4" pieces.

Your chicken fingers looks good even to me Beth. Like the crispy looking edges.
What is that dipping sauce? Honey? Looks like Duck Sauce....Chinese.

334JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:13 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Gee, Lore.....maybe if you brought part of your steak home in a 'doggy bag' you could plan to make a nice STEAK SALAD!  That sounds great.

I would have loved to plan to have a 'fried chicken salad' tomorrow with the leftover chicken tenders that I made for tonight's supper.  UNFORTUNATELY, the 13 year old ATE the leftovers about half an hour ago.....LOL
 Nope, no doggy bag.  I wasn't going to leave any of that perfectly done sirloin.  Left part of the baked potato.  This is getting expensive, my sis and I have found out that we really like nice places.  I keep telling my children........... "It's coming out of your inheritance." And they think it's great and tell me spend all you like, just please don't put a mortgage on the condo! LOL  I am so lucky and spoiled.

335JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:12 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:...This is getting expensive, my sis and I have found out that we really like nice places. I keep telling my children........... "It's coming out of your inheritance." And they think it's great and tell me spend all you like, just please don't put a mortgage on the condo! LOL I am so lucky and spoiled.

Sounds like you're all lucky to me, Lore, and a very happy family! I am still amazed at the dining room table your sons made you from wood on the property you owned and had such happy memories of... that's pretty special to anyone that hears it. And not only was the sentiment itself lovely but the resulting table is freaking gorgeous, too.

You made me laugh, as Brian's Dad used to say that all the time about spending his kid's money. And we used to laugh and tell him the same thing -- "It's your money! You made it, you spend it." We wanted our parents to know, naturally, that we'd appreciate anything they happened to leave us but that they didn't "owe" us an inheritance. Sounds like something your sons would agree with.

Glad you enjoyed your steak, too!

336JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:31 am

Niagara Visitor

Yes, I agree, we are lucky.  My sister and I are making up for not much sister time for much of our adult life.  She lived 400 miles away and visits were generally short.  She had 4 children, I had 3, so visits when they came, were more children oriented than going out for nice dinners.  We also certainly know there are no guarantees in life as I found out much too early. 

We were planning to do a day trip to an area (70 miles away) lavender farm, but thankfully we are having rain which the farmers need desperately.  It will be there another day also.

337JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:04 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I agree, Lore. When we were younger almost all our time was connected with the children. But now that we've done our jobs and they are grown and on their own it is our time to do all the things we didn't have time for. Day trips with your sister are so much fun. Since I never had a sister I've taken to 'choosing' my sisters ~ women friends who enjoy the same things as I.

As for spending the kids' money.....I've taken to sending out invoices each month to the girls to ask for reimbursement for the huge outlay of cash when they were growing up. So far, they are BOTH seriously over do and have not paid for a single prom dress or pair of Buster Brown shoes!

338JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Your chicken fingers looks good even to me Beth. Like the crispy looking edges.
What is that dipping sauce? Honey? Looks like Duck Sauce....Chinese.[/size]

I like the Asian sweet chili sauce as a dipping sauce....nice and spicy. The chicken fingers were just marinated in buttermilk/sriracha and then pressed into panko. Easy and crispy without being too much breading.

339JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:45 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:As for spending the kids' money.....I've taken to sending out invoices each month to the girls to ask for reimbursement for the huge outlay of cash when they were growing up. So far, they are BOTH seriously over do and have not paid for a single prom dress or pair of Buster Brown shoes!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

340JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:21 am

Niagara Visitor

For me, the payback would have to be hockey equipment, and gas money, coffee money for getting to and sitting in cold arenas.  But, that's O.K., I get it back in freshly caught fish!

341JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We'll be going out for supper to celebrate the last night the 13 year old will be here....well, I guess that is not the correct phrasing....we will go out for supper because that's what the 13 year old said he'd like to do on his last night here. LOL

I think he's ready to go home. His mom has been texting to ask, 'when are they coming home? I MISS HIM!' This is the first time he's been away from home for over 2 weeks.

I'm not sure, but I think it'll take me a good two weeks to get my house back in order.

342JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Niagara Visitor

Have fun!

343JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:16 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Been under the weather these last few weeks so I haven't felt much like cooking or talking. I did make a batch of Tommy Bahama's crab bisque that was really good. Tonight is pizza. I am not very good at making pizza's.
I was watching Food Paradise and I saw a technique for cutting large quantities of tomatoes that I had never seen before. The chef filled a huge sheet pan with tomatoes. I couldn't tell what kind. He then put another sheet pan on top of the other pan. He took out a knife that could have been a machete. Really long. He put his hand on top of the pan to hold it steady and slid the knife blade between the two pans and used a sawing motion and cut the length of the pan. Viola! all those tomatoes were cut in half in a few seconds.

344JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Been under the weather these last few weeks so I haven't felt much like cooking or talking. I did make a batch of Tommy Bahama's crab bisque that was really good. Tonight is pizza. I am not very good at making pizza's.
I was watching Food Paradise and I saw a technique for cutting large quantities of tomatoes that I had never seen before. The chef filled a huge sheet pan with tomatoes. I couldn't tell what kind. He then put another sheet pan on top of the other pan. He took out a knife that could have been a machete. Really long. He put his hand on top of the pan to hold it steady and slid the knife blade between the two pans and used a sawing motion and cut the length of the pan. Viola! all those tomatoes were cut in half in a few seconds.
Glad to see you are back on line Deb. Was beginning to wonder where yee hath been lately. alien

345JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:47 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have used that idea on a smaller scale when I wanted to use cherry tomatoes in a salad.  I imagine that doing it with a sheet pan is going to take some skill.  Was he not coring the tomatoes?  With the little ones it really isn't necessary.

346JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:54 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I think they were roma tomatoes and I don't think they were cored. I believe they were going to get cooked down into a sauce.

347JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to one of the local country clubs and Jake and I both ordered tonight's 'special'.....

Surf & Turf! Woo Hoo......$23 (I can't make it at home for that price!)

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 IMG_20160725_190300453

348JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:47 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

A dinner like that out here would easily cost $100 or more.

349JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I guess the prices are part of the reason why so few women in The Villages cook at home. The same place had 6 other 'specials' that run M - Th for $13. The one I've had before is a 10 oz. NY strip steak with 2 sides. I cannot afford to buy a similar sized strip steak for that price in the grocery stores.

350JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:27 pm

NormM

NormM

Not a very pretty picture but it's salmon with carrots and broccoli with teriyaki sauce cooked in a paper wrap.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 14 DSCN3669_zpsexfmuynp

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum