Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 19]

176JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:A stir fry of onions, peppers, broccolli and scallops on my menu tonight.  Gonna cook some tagliatelli to go under it.  I love egg noodles!

Now you've given me an idea for tomorrow's supper......Jacob LOVES pasta! I'm thinking I should make something with either pasta or even just buttered/parsley or chive egg noodles. Probably some chicken to go with it.

I'm just not use to his appetite any more. He has supper, then something like ice cream for dessert.....and before I know it he's asking, "what is there to eat, Grandma?" I did let him get some little personal pizzas to cook in the microwave and some of those (awful) 'instant' mac & cheese containers. He loves that stuff. I guess it's a good thing he wants to sleep for 12 hours straight. At least when he's sleeping he's not asking for food! LOL

177JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I prefer to grill without foil. I like the grease to drip into the fire. It flavors the meat with smoke.

Boy not me..Grease fire scares the dodo out of me... affraid

I have a little Weber Q and for some reason I have no problem with fires.

178JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have a Q to and flare ups like crazy. I always clean it too. Seeing it is hooked up to gas ...... Yikes!

179JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lazy meal of Taco Bell today!.... It served the purpose!

180JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:44 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:A stir fry of onions, peppers, broccolli and scallops on my menu tonight.  Gonna cook some tagliatelli to go under it.  I love egg noodles!

Now you've given me an idea for tomorrow's supper......Jacob LOVES pasta!  I'm thinking I should make something with either pasta or even just buttered/parsley or chive egg noodles.  Probably some chicken to go with it.

I'm just not use to his appetite any more.  He has supper, then something like ice cream for dessert.....and before I know it he's asking, "what is there to eat, Grandma?"  I did let him get some little personal pizzas to cook in the microwave and some of those (awful) 'instant' mac & cheese containers.  He loves that stuff.  I guess it's a good thing he wants to sleep for 12 hours straight.  At least when he's sleeping he's not asking for food!  LOL
Maybe I missed it, but how old is Jacob?  Something that my children used to love was if I had some pasta left over from another dish, then I would put it in a frying pan with some oil, fry it up so parts were a little crisp, and then crack an egg on top.  Michael always liked the egg a little runny so that it soaked into the noodles, the other two wanted it so the egg was hard.  I made that  sort of scrambled.  Of course, you don't have to have left over pasta, you could make fresh.

181JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:40 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

all dinner meals look good.. some of our dinner meals for last week

taco salad with guacamole

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 25_zpstorjdjke

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 22_zpsjvxqovmn

I made some oven baked chicken too

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 20_zpshkmnpyam

and some fried chicken copying Beth's idea, I served them with Apricot sauce

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 15_zpsy6zwxqpc

182JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:25 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:Maybe I missed it, but how old is Jacob?  Something that my children used to love was if I had some pasta left over from another dish, then I would put it in a frying pan with some oil, fry it up so parts were a little crisp, and then crack an egg on top.  Michael always liked the egg a little runny so that it soaked into the noodles, the other two wanted it so the egg was hard.  I made that  sort of scrambled.  Of course, you don't have to have left over pasta, you could make fresh.

Jacob is 13 ~ and has an empty leg that requires filling with food on an hourly basis! LOL The crispy noodles with an egg might be a perfect 'snack' for him. I just cannot get use to the constant eating. I've forgotten what it is to have a hungry one in the house 24/7. We're going to go to Aldi's again this morning so he can pick out more microwave things he likes to eat.

183JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:29 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:all dinner meals look good.. some of our dinner meals for last week

taco salad with guacamole

I made some oven baked chicken too

and some fried chicken copying Beth's idea, I served them with Apricot sauce

Your meals look delicious, Imelda. Your crispy chicken chunks look delicious! Isn't it great when you can take an idea and make it according to your tastes? Love the idea of an apricot sauce.

184JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:25 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Sprouts%2Brice3

No one asked about making this or the recipe ..Doubt anyone will make it but I will post the recipe anyway.

I happen to love cooking and find joy in finding new ways to enjoy it..Keeps me from being bored with food..

185JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:31 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Coconut Rice and Brussels Sprouts: (adapted from Love & Lemons):

1 cup  jasmine rice , rinsed
1 cup light coconut milk
2 teaspoons coconut oil
2 cups halved  Brussels sprouts
2 cloves garlic
pinch of salt
handful chopped green onions

handful torn fresh basil
handful torn fresh mint
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Sriracha and lime wedges, for serving

Sauce:

1 tablespoon  soy sauce
2 small garlic cloves,  minced
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Cook the rice: fluff with a fork and cover to keep warm.

Make the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk together the soy, garlic, lime juice, vinegar, sugar, water and . Set aside.

Cook the sprouts: Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the sprouts, cut side down, along with a pinch of salt. Let them sear until the cut side becomes golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Toss and continue cooking for an additional 7 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Add the green onions during the last 2 minutes of cooking, then remove the pan from heat

186JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:01 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I'm just not use to his appetite any more. He has supper, then something like ice cream for dessert.....and before I know it he's asking, "what is there to eat, Grandma?" I did let him get some little personal pizzas to cook in the microwave and some of those (awful) 'instant' mac & cheese containers. He loves that stuff. I guess it's a good thing he wants to sleep for 12 hours straight. At least when he's sleeping he's not asking for food! LOL

This cracked me up. I had to laugh, as friends I know who had several sons always said that they ate them out of house and home! Thank goodness Jake likes carbs as they're probably the most filling things he could eat. Does he eat a lot at one sitting, like seconds or thirds for dinner? Or is it just that he gets hungry every couple of hours? I'm laughing over here but I'm just trying to picture it, Beth.

What about desserts? Can you fill this boy up with sweets, or does he like sweet stuff?

You slayed me with at least he sleeps 12 hours straight! Too funny.

187JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:24 am

Niagara Visitor

Crybaby wrote:
Beth wrote:I'm just not use to his appetite any more. He has supper, then something like ice cream for dessert.....and before I know it he's asking, "what is there to eat, Grandma?" I did let him get some little personal pizzas to cook in the microwave and some of those (awful) 'instant' mac & cheese containers. He loves that stuff. I guess it's a good thing he wants to sleep for 12 hours straight. At least when he's sleeping he's not asking for food! LOL

This cracked me up.  I had to laugh, as friends I know who had several sons always said that they ate them out of house and home!  Thank goodness Jake likes carbs as they're probably the most filling things he could eat.  Does he eat a lot at one sitting, like seconds or thirds for dinner?  Or is it just that he gets hungry every couple of hours?  I'm laughing over here but I'm just trying to picture it, Beth.  

What about desserts?  Can you fill this boy up with sweets, or does he like sweet stuff?  

You slayed me with at least he sleeps 12 hours straight!  Too funny.

It cracked me up also.  Strangely, none of my three (two boys, one girl) ever showed signs of the hollow leg syndrome.  My daughter's first boyfriend ate more than all three of my children together.  Pasta, of course, is not what keeps someone satiated, protein does that.  But, have fun with him, that's about all you can do.

188JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:31 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

When I was a kid, I remember when I would eat at home what my mom made, and then run to my Grandmothers house three blocks away, to eat what she made!....

189JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:08 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

My sister has 3 boys. She was always at Costco buying in bulk. When they brought their friends over it would be worse because they ate her out of house and home. She would go one day to Costco and would have to go back 2 days later. And milk! No milkman so she would be at the local store almost daily. And cereal. Each boy could eat a box at one sitting. And the mess! Empty boxes everywhere. When they all went off to college things got much better until they came home for the holidays. She would get up in the morning and find pizza boxes, soft drink cans and whatever strewn everywhere. And the bodies! Boys AND girls asleep everywhere. Boys and girls asleep in the same bedrooms but not in the same beds. Bodies passed out on every couch and chair. She suspected that there might be some alcohol involved so it was better they slept it off safely at her house than try to drive home. When they were in high school they had turned a potting shed into a clubhouse of sorts with a ratty couch. When the kids had a gathering at the house, my sister or her husband would be constantly going out to the shed and confiscating beers and pot and making sure no one was getting impregnated on their property. No way was this going on at their house while they were on watch. When they got to the legal age they were left alone. Still, every morning my sister would find bodies all over the house and no food left in the house.

190JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jake apparently needs to be sustained with food every couple waking hours....he doesn't eat a great deal at one sitting, just seems to be CONSTANT ~ by the time the meal is cleaned up, he's looking for food yet again. He's a protein and carb eater, with a lot of cooked veg mixed in. NO cold cereal, NO fruit of any kind, NO raw vegetables.....if there were dessert he'd pass, except ice cream. I bought some chocolate chip Oreos to have something sweet in the house and he wasn't interested after the first bite. The only way I'll be able to get rid of them is to suggest he mash them up and mix into his ice cream, like 'homemade' Cookies & Cream ice cream! LOL

But let me have a serving of rice and chicken leftover that I've packed away in a deli container after supper and he's got it out and is eating it cold before bedtime. And don't get me started on the Goldfish crackers ~ he prefers those to chips.

191JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:It cracked me up also.  Strangely, none of my three (two boys, one girl) ever showed signs of the hollow leg syndrome.  My daughter's first boyfriend ate more than all three of my children together.  Pasta, of course, is not what keeps someone satiated, protein does that.  But, have fun with him, that's about all you can do.

We raised two girls....two 'light' eaters. Heck, I can remember taking them to McDonald's and they SPLIT a Happy Meal until they turned 12 & 13. The big argument was whether to have a hamburger or a cheeseburger because they both had to have the same thing. That and tossing a coin to see who got the 'toy'.....

192JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made chicken chunk kebobs w/huli huli sauce (spicy version), zucchini skewers and parsley/chive egg noodles. I've never seen a child eat so many noodles ~ he ate what I planned for supper AND what I planned for leftovers! The only thing he didn't care for (and I knew it at the get-go) was the onion petals between the chicken chunks on the kebobs.....which is why, on MY plate, you see a pile of onions under my chicken. LOL He prefers his zucchini sauted with onion and cooked VERY soft (like earlier in the week), but tolerated two skewers of the firmer grilled just to humor me.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 IMG_20160712_171708649

193JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Nice!! I made the same thing lol

194JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was hot out by the grill, but the chicken and zucchini cooked quickly with very little 'busy' work involved.

At the supper table Jake asked me if I'd make the homemade noodles I make for him.....he wants the pork & sauerkraut with the spatezle drop noodles. I'm gonna have to think on this one. No way do I want to bake pork & sauerkraut in the oven for 3 hours. I don't like it done in the Crockpot. I did buy some baby back ribs today on sale. Maybe I can put them on a low grill well sealed in a foil covered pan and use the grill as an oven. I'm thinking that will work just fine.

Heck, as long as he has the noodles, that's what he's looking for! LOL

195JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:06 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made huli huli chicken last night and left out the heat. Everyone actually preferred it that way. Whodda thunk? I made a zoodle salad with a champagne vinaigrette to go with it.

Yesterday I bought some Jimmy Dean mild country sausage. No heat in the mix and no tummy ache for me. YAY! I do so love sausage.

196JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:24 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 13606894_10207750954866025_6359804816693121107_n

197JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Dont know what huli is but mine is teriyaki sauce base and leftover from yesterday.
on a bed of jasmine rice..

198JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The huli huli is a ketchup based sauce, sweet (and spice added to mine).....the recipe is in the grilling section, I think......

I like your mix of vegetables ~ lots of color and flavors and textures.

199JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I bought a new inside grill. Gosh it's great. No way I'm going out side.
My feet and ankles and lower legs are so swollen I can't wear shoes.flip flops are it and they are tight!!! Pillow under them and laying down. Plus I have had a couple gallon of water.so I will be up all night ~~~~~

200JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 8 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:39 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My huli recipe has a brine then a sauce with the main ingredient being pineapple juice. It does have some soy, ketchup, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, and a few other things like sriracha if you want heat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum