Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Barbara101
bethk
Imelda HL
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 19]

151JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:Oh just wait till Jimmy see what I am fixin. I am so out of it today . I just don't care!!!!!!

bounce bounce bounce  I cant wait!!!!!
JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 13590370_637602159730777_4718751191703260026_n

Oh Boy! .... What a teaser of a meal. I'll take two of each. Thank you!

152JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Another Jacob special for supper ~ WHITE RICE, lightly fried chicken chunks (white meat) and soft-stir fried vegetables with a soy based sauce. I made a soy/ginger dipping sauce for the chicken and, surprisingly, he liked it. Usually he prefers his chicken and his rice plain (PLEASE don't put the veg on top of MY rice, Grandma!) I did serve him the rice because I hate when it gets dropped on the tabletop.....but the rest of the meal he could certainly serve himself. Heck, I even serve Mr. Amazing HIS rice because he's the worst offender of 'whoops!' ~ LOL

The chicken was marinated in soy, ginger, sambal & a touch of sesame oil and then drained before being tossed with a bit of rice flour to coat so it wouldn't pop & spatter in a small amount of peanut oil. The rice flour is really nice because it doesn't clump and get heavy but instead keeps the chicken from drying out in the hot oil.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 IMG_20160710_172315897

153JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:44 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Another Jacob special for supper ~ WHITE RICE, lightly fried chicken chunks (white meat) and soft-stir fried vegetables with a soy based sauce.  I made a soy/ginger dipping sauce for the chicken and, surprisingly, he liked it.  Usually he prefers his chicken and his rice plain (PLEASE don't put the veg on top of MY rice, Grandma!)  I did serve him the rice because I hate when it gets dropped on the tabletop.....but the rest of the meal he could certainly serve himself.  Heck, I even serve Mr. Amazing HIS rice because he's the worst offender of 'whoops!' ~ LOL  

The chicken was marinated in soy, ginger, sambal & a touch of sesame oil and then drained before being tossed with a bit of rice flour to coat so it wouldn't pop & spatter in a small amount of peanut oil.  The rice flour is really nice because it doesn't clump and get heavy but instead keeps the chicken from drying out in the hot oil.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 IMG_20160710_172315897

Looks Good Beth, and I am the same as Jake. No stuff on the rice.
No touchy touchy with my food. All separate as much as possible.

154JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:59 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

OK.... no winner for supper.
I made us Burgers with cheese on the grill. Tina plain, and mine with onion and tomato; with a blob of mayo and on a seeded burger roll. Pickles on the side.

Blueberry flop for dessert. Flop??? Yes! .... A recipe T found, you take a pillsbury frozen crust....thaw it, then throw a bunch of berries and sugar...then flap the edges over towards the center, and bake till browned. We didn't like the crust. Tasted burnt and oily....

155JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:19 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Those Pillsbury crusts are not very good. I only use them when I am too tired to make homemade.
No dinner tonight. Joe and Katie went to the Sawdust Festival. I made 3 mini pies trying out fresh squeezed key limes and trying a pie I never heard of before: orange meringue. One key lime was made with sweetened condensed milk, another was key lime meringue pie and the third was the orange. It is hard cutting a recipe down to 1/4. The orange pie filling came out a bit thick. I hope it isn't like rubber. Anyway we are going to have side-by-side taste tests. Yesterday when I was at Walmart I picked up a couple of Girl Scout mixes just released by Pillsbury. I don't have high expectations. Tomorrow will be huli huli chicken with some leftover pasta salad and a zoodle salad.

156JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:39 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:OK.... no winner for supper.
I made us Burgers with cheese on the grill. Tina plain, and mine with onion and tomato; with a blob of mayo and on a seeded burger roll. Pickles on the side.

Blueberry flop for dessert.  Flop??? Yes! .... A recipe T found, you take a pillsbury frozen crust....thaw it, then throw a bunch of berries and sugar...then flap the edges over towards the center, and bake till browned. We didn't like the crust. Tasted burnt and oily....

Sorry about the crust, Jimmy. I've only used the refrigerated crusts a couple times and there was only one brand we cared for....but it REALLY needed a good deal of sugar on top just to make it taste like anything.

win some ~ lose some. Next dessert will be just right, wait and see!

157JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:21 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 13658959_10208628517663159_7178326802767784647_n

158JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:25 am

Niagara Visitor

Meatloaf and scalloped potatoes for tonight, some broccoli to go on the side.

159JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:26 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Test kitchen results: yes, fresh squeezed key limes taste better than bottled key lime juice but the bottled is ok. Key limes have a slightly bitter undertone compared to Persian limes. About 15 keys gave me 1 cup juice but PITA squeezing then. My regular juicer doesn't work on key limes so Joe pulled out a pair of these wide flat head pliers and went to work on them.
The orange meringue pie was equally good. I made a graham cracker crust with 1/4 tsp. cinnamon thrown in. We fought over who got the crumbs. LOL! You would think a cinnamon spiced graham crust would work on a citrus pie but it does.

After all the years I have been cooking I had an epiphany this morning. I had a chunk of fresh ginger that I froze last week. I peeled it before freezing. Normally I peel it and use a Microplane to grate it. I have found that Microplanes are the best thing for the job. I was too impatient to wait for it to thaw so I grated it frozen. So much easier and you get twice as much in half the time. You learn something new every day.

When I was at Wally's I bought a box of Jimmy Dean frozen delights mini frittatas. BLECH! They were supposed to be savory and they were but they also added sugar and the two didn't mix in this case. I am going to try to pawn them off on Katie before I toss them.

160JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:41 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Teriyaki%2Bchicken 

sorry for pic of raw thighs lol..

grilling these on FOIL..then I guess I will just heat them up later..

161JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:45 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Grilled Teriyaki Boneless Chicken Thighs:

10- boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons sesame oil
big handful of chopped scallions
kosher salt & pepper
hot pepper flakes

In a large glass bowl, mix up marinade ingredients and pour over chicken pieces.
Cover and place in the fridge overnight.

162JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barb.... great idea cooking on foil. Did you ever use that non-stick reynolds foil.
We think thats the greatest invention.... We use it all the time.

163JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Barb.... great idea cooking on foil. Did you ever use that non-stick reynolds foil.
We think thats the greatest invention.... We use it all the time.

I sprayed  it with Pam lol..
No have not bought foil...In maybe 25 years.. Shocked  

My Mom had a box of foil she bought at a restaurant supply years and years and years ago..I dont even know when..
Box says 1000ft.I just opened it and I'd say 1/2 inch left on the roll lol....

So I will use it till the end..

and no matter what anyone says about foil..I am using it..Best thing ever..well that  and disposable paper products Ha..

Foil  sure  keeps my grill grates less messy for sure...

164JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Niagara Visitor

But, just playing devil's advocate here....................... if you 'grill' on foil, where does that wonderful, tasty, cancer causing smoke flavour come from??? LOL LOL LOL

165JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:04 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

cancer causing smoke flavour come from

Not true...

However the flavor does appear by the great charcoal it is cooking over..

166JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:14 pm

Niagara Visitor

I'm just kidding.  I'm not concerned about the smoke and its supposed cancer causing.  That's what people have told me when I have said that I like a nicely grilled steak!

167JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:35 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Cool

168JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:43 pm

NormM

NormM

I recently used non stick foil on the propane BBQ for chicken and again for some really messy marinade on some ribs. Both came out tasty and there were even grill marks on the chicken.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

169JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane was looking for something to heat up for his lunch today. I was folding some laundry and he came to me and asked, "where is the meatloaf?" HUH??? I couldn't believe he was serious. I made meatloaf TWO WEEKS AGO......there was about 3" leftover and I made a cold meatloaf sandwich for two days in a row....but the rest got tossed last week.

If I had NOT tossed the last bit (IF it had gotten pushed to the back of the refrigerator) HE WOULD HAVE EATEN IT.

Then, probably, I could tell you all about being the 'Widow Keller'.....Geesh!

I use foil on my gas grill grates ALL THE TIME. I love that it keeps the grates from getting all messy and I can keep my food from sticking and tearing apart. I also use tons of plastic wrap, one of those huge 3,000' rolls from Costco that has to sit out on my countertop because it's too large to fit in the kitchen drawer. I don't use paper plates except for taking gifts throughout the neighborhood ~ cuts down on the neighbors thinking they have to make something to return in the dish I give them.

I also use disposable foil pans for cooking a lot of things on the grill. My favorite is to cook chicken thighs in a foil pan to render off the massive amount of fat and not have it make a huge greasy mess of my grill. Sometimes I can wash and reuse the pans but other times they just get tossed.

AND I reuse glass jars (pickles, olives, etc.) for leftovers or for shaking up salad dressings. Got a bunch that get washed in the dishwasher and used for years.

170JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:01 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I prefer to grill without foil. I like the grease to drip into the fire. It flavors the meat with smoke.

171JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

London broil with my Provencal marinade, sweet potato split for Mr. Amazing and me ~ TWO baked white potatoes for the 'Empty Pit' GS, and some lovely mixed green beans & carrots (well done because that's the way GS likes his vegetables).

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 IMG_20160711_175048229_HDR

172JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Niagara Visitor

A stir fry of onions, peppers, broccolli and scallops on my menu tonight.  Gonna cook some tagliatelli to go under it.  I love egg noodles!

173JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Teriyaki%2Bchicken3

Brussels sprouts jasmine rice..

174JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:I prefer to grill without foil. I like the grease to drip into the fire. It flavors the meat with smoke.

Boy not me..Grease fire scares the dodo out of me... affraid

175JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 Empty Re: JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:29 pm

NormM

NormM

I tried three new recipes for dinner tonight. They were an oven fried chicken, cheese stuffed potato fritters and a salad with a strawberry/lemon dressing.

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 DSCN3632_zpsmqb0kfcz

JULY... ON OUR DINNER MENU  - Page 7 DSCN3630_zps31hd12ww

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum