Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??"

+4
Imelda HL
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 18]

276SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:37 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 11953230_892538964116675_4032410732143318364_n

Pork roast on the grill.

I used to make a yellow squash casserole.It was so good. The last few times I made it yuck..

sliced squash layer it up with butter and cream cheese and crumb topping.Good.

Now for some reason, I took it out the oven and it was very very watery..

277SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:00 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 11953230_892538964116675_4032410732143318364_n

Pork roast on the grill.

I used to make a yellow squash casserole.It was so good. The last few times I made it yuck..

sliced squash layer it up with butter and cream cheese and crumb topping.Good.

Now for some reason, I took it out the oven and it was very very watery..

I have never made a squash casserole but I was wondering, do you thing the squash needs to be salted and rested, like eggplant to make it less watery?

278SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:49 pm

NormM

NormM

With my recipe, you cook and drain it. If you don't cook it, it might be watery. Depends on the season and growing conditions. It wouldn't hurt to salt it though.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

279SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, do you ever do the seeded & cubed/ boiled yellow squash lightly mashed with butter and s&p?

Takes the place of potatoes....super yummy and super easy.  It's especially good when you have the yellow squash that's gotten a little larger than anticipated in the garden.  Beats feeding them to the goats!

It came out great. I don't prefer it mashed, but I will eat it that way.
I just boiled cubed, drained and salt pepper and a little butter.
I was the only one who ate it. And I ate it all. About 2 cups.+

Only bad, was it took a lot of salt to bring out the taste..... No

280SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:00 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

The huli huli chicken turned out good but gave me a stomach ache. It had 1/8 tsp, siracha in the glaze. I only took two small bites but it was enough. I had a Pepto Bismol chaser which has not done any good.
It pegged out at 102 today. It is 8pm and 82. We have the air on but is doesn't do much good.

281SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:12 am

Niagara Visitor

I didn't cook, but had a great salad of mixed greens, cucumber, pepper, avocado, feta cheese and some shrimp.  Yummy!

282SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just pulled a recipe for Huli Huli Chicken off a site...sounds good to me. I've got boneless chicken thighs marinating now. I have some bok choy & bean sprouts to stir fry with some of this 'n that and everything will go with some white rice. All I have is the parcooked....wish I had some sticky rice. Maybe I'll have to go out later. Might stop for some. 'Cause it really sounds good with that meal.

283SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Mr. Amazing snickered and made fun of the name of tonight's menu but, after we ate, declared it a 'keeper'.  One should not laugh before tasting.....

The Huli Huli chicken thigh pieces were marinated in a sweet BBQ sauce and then grilled until caramelized nicely.  Stirfried vegetables: bok choy stems & leaves, bits of carrot & bean sprouts ~ and finished off with a sauce of chicken stock, sweet chili sauce, soy & a bit of this 'n that....(which translates into ' I don't remember what I put in it ' ~ LOL).  And everything was served over a nice pile of wonderfully fragrant basmati rice (yes, I did stop to pick some up....).

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 09.21.15

According to what I read, Huli refers to 'turn' and I've seen an episode of DD&D in Hawaii where some food truck guy does chicken skewered and turned on a rotiserrie type mechanism over a wood/charcoal fire and is a huge hit with his Huli Huli Chicken.

Thanks, Bugs, for pointing me into the direction to check it out!

284SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:53 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

The recipe I used had siracha in it. Did your recipe have any heat?

285SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Pork%20butt6

leftover grilled pork roast from last night

286SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Pork%20butt5_1

287SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:02 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Ragu

Made pork ragu with the tomato's I cooked down..

288SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:05 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:Mr. Amazing snickered and made fun of the name of tonight's menu but, after we ate, declared it a 'keeper'.  One should not laugh before tasting.....

The Huli Huli chicken thigh pieces were marinated in a sweet BBQ sauce and then grilled until caramelized nicely.  Stirfried vegetables: bok choy stems & leaves, bits of carrot & bean sprouts ~ and finished off with a sauce of chicken stock, sweet chili sauce, soy & a bit of this 'n that....(which translates into ' I don't remember what I put in it ' ~ LOL).  And everything was served over a nice pile of wonderfully fragrant basmati rice (yes, I did stop to pick some up....).

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 09.21.15

According to what I read, Huli refers to 'turn' and I've seen an episode of DD&D in Hawaii where some food truck guy does chicken skewered and turned on a rotiserrie type mechanism over a wood/charcoal fire and is a huge hit with his Huli Huli Chicken.

Thanks, Bugs, for pointing me into the direction to check it out!

Gosh that looks great..I need to find this recipe..

289SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:The recipe I used had siracha in it. Did your recipe have any heat?

I 'made up' my own recipe from several I found. I did add 1 Tbsp. of Garlic Chili Paste as it's now my 'go-to' for a bit of heat. I like the flavor better than sriracha, although I still use the sriracha to add to my buttermilk for dredging when I make chicken tenders or fried green tomatoes.

I posted the recipe I used in the grilling section/outdoor cooking.

290SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Made pork ragu with the tomato's I cooked down..

There is something quite special when you cook pork down in a tomato sauce....it's like a magic potion! Nice.

291SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs, if spice bothers you, why do you use it?  I mean, a recipe is simply a guideline of a dish that you study and then make your own.  Whenever I see a recipe that calls for cilantro, something that makes me gag...., I immediately substitute (in my mind) parsley.  They're both green herbs and parsley tastes good (to me).

If sriracha gives your gut fits & caniptions then leave it out.  No recipe will be 'ruined' by leaving out something you cannot tolerate.  

All the recipes I saw called for chopped garlic.  Mr. Amazing says garlic gives him a gut ache.  And if I have fresh garlic in the house he can smell it ~ then he convinces himself that the meal will bother him....and it DOES.  So, since he has no problem with spicy, I sub garlic powder and the garlic chili paste for the raw garlic.  Problem solved.

If I told him I used GARLIC Chili Paste, he'd say he could taste it...and then he'd tell me how much it bothers him.

Since I didn't tell him, he said my meal was really good and to save the recipe to make again sometime.

Tee Hee, Clever Me!

Note for Norm:  I think this is a recipe you and the kids might like.  If I make it again, I think I'd cut back on the brown sugar....maybe sub in some grated pear or apple to keep it sweet without it being cloyingly so.  I did drain all the marinade off the chicken before I started to grill it, as well as adding 1 Tbsp. of oil to help keep the chicken from sticking to the non-stick foil I had on my grill grate.  That's a trick I came up with when I wanted to make BBQ chicken after spending half an hour cleaning my grill grates.  The foil still allows for good heat transfer but doesn't allow the sauce to get all over the grates and burn on.

292SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just saw a pic on Facebook that I thought was really cute.

It was a picture of a front-end loader.

Leaning against it was a hand-painted sign that said:

"Halloween Special"

"Bodies Buried ~ $5.00"
"Real Deep ~ $10.00"

Hahahahaha.....what a neat way to have some fun!

293SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Niagara Visitor

I just finished making a pot of goulash, I'll call it Hungarian/German 'cause I combined ideas from three different recipes.  Some of it will be for me for tomorrow, the rest for son Michael and daughter-in-law Amy.

294SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:I just finished making a pot of goulash, I'll call it Hungarian/German 'cause I combined ideas from three different recipes.  Some of it will be for me for tomorrow, the rest for son Michael and daughter-in-law Amy.

I love doing that sort of thing, Niagara! You see something interesting in a recipe, then you see another recipe that's similar....you can taste how they meld together, in your mind. Then, when you put it all together and it tastes great.....fabulous!

295SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:27 pm

Niagara Visitor

Yes, a young woman asked me a while ago how one develops a recipe.  I said that you sort of keep putting things together and tasting for flavour.  I normally don't like caraway, but one of the recipes that I used had caraway in it, so I used some, and it's actually quite nice.

296SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:24 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Bugs, if spice bothers you, why do you use it?  I mean, a recipe is simply a guideline of a dish that you study and then make your own.  Whenever I see a recipe that calls for cilantro, something that makes me gag...., I immediately substitute (in my mind) parsley.  They're both green herbs and parsley tastes good (to me).

If sriracha gives your gut fits & caniptions then leave it out.  No recipe will be 'ruined' by leaving out something you cannot tolerate.  

All the recipes I saw called for chopped garlic.  Mr. Amazing says garlic gives him a gut ache.  And if I have fresh garlic in the house he can smell it ~ then he convinces himself that the meal will bother him....and it DOES.  So, since he has no problem with spicy, I sub garlic powder and the garlic chili paste for the raw garlic.  Problem solved.

If I told him I used GARLIC Chili Paste, he'd say he could taste it...and then he'd tell me how much it bothers him.

Since I didn't tell him, he said my meal was really good and to save the recipe to make again
sometime.

I was hoping that 1/8tsp in 2 cups of liquid would be weak and would not bother me, but it did. I have the same problem with raw shallots and onions but funny enough, not with green onions. I can also eat green Anaheim chilies without much grief. Paprika causes trouble if their is a lot in the recipe. What is funny is that all it takes is one bite for the trouble to set in.

Tee Hee, Clever Me!

Note for Norm:  I think this is a recipe you and the kids might like.  If I make it again, I think I'd cut back on the brown sugar....maybe sub in some grated pear or apple to keep it sweet without it being cloyingly so.  I did drain all the marinade off the chicken before I started to grill it, as well as adding 1 Tbsp. of oil to help keep the chicken from sticking to the non-stick foil I had on my grill grate.  That's a trick I came up with when I wanted to make BBQ chicken after spending half an hour cleaning my grill grates.  The foil still allows for good heat transfer but doesn't allow the sauce to get all over the grates and burn on.

297SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:34 am

NormM

NormM

I did copy and save the recipe when I saw it and plan to make it. The kids get back from Seattle this afternoon.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

298SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:Yes, a young woman asked me a while ago how one develops a recipe.  I said that you sort of keep putting things together and tasting for flavour.  I normally don't like caraway, but one of the recipes that I used had caraway in it, so I used some, and it's actually quite nice.

I'm the same with rosemary. Normally I do not care for it, especially fresh, which tastes like a pine tree in my mouth.

But I have a recipe for a flank steak marinate that calls for dried rosemary and it's excellent. It's probably my #1 'go-to' for marinated flank or London broil. It's intended as a freezer recipe and that may have something to do with the taste being somewhat muted.

What I think is funny is when I "create" a recipe, something I think is of my own invention, and then later peruse the internet and find someone else has posted the exact same thing ~ and the original post is prior to my creation. But it's not anything I had seen or heard of before, which is why I was sure it was MY idea. So, now I'm a believer in there being no new recipes, just different versions of something.

When I was on another forum one of our members had a 'hissy-fit' because a person had used 'her' family recipe and posted it WITHOUT her permission. She went on and on for days. Turns out her 'family recipe' was right out of the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook published in 1968.....exact down to the last detail. To me, if someone sees a recipe I've posted and they like it, make it and then post a comment and/or compliment about it....even if they change it to suit their taste....it's all OK. I'm just happy they have good taste and think along the same lines as I do.

299SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:54 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hate it when someone won't give a recipe because it is a secret. You would think they had the cure for the common cold. I have some friends that have a recipe for a Welsh cake that they make for gifts every Christmas. It is an old family recipe that has been passed down. It is so dry that you can blow it across the room. I call it "blow cake". I think I can make it better but when I asked for the recipe, my friend was offended. Ok. I understand. What I can't tell her that it is so dry that you almost choke on it and I think I can improve it. It would hurt her feelings.

300SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 12 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:03 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

When I was on another forum one of our members had a 'hissy-fit' because a person had used 'her' family recipe and posted it WITHOUT her permission. She went on and on for days. Turns out her 'family recipe' was right out of the Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook published in 1968.....exact down to the last detail. To me, if someone sees a recipe I've posted and they like it, make it and then post a comment and/or compliment about it....even if they change it to suit their taste....it's all OK. I'm just happy they have good taste and think along the same lines as I do.

AH..yes..I called her out over HER pie. unless her name is Betty and it is not hers..Then she got time out for pitching a fit and said  that I should not  be taking any recipe from her forum.It was for broccoli cheese soup and she even brought Cyn into it.Then she got some Bi&ch friend of hers into it.No wonder that forum is no account..Oh and it is not her forum she just acted like it was.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum