Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??"

+4
Imelda HL
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 18]

201SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:52 pm

Niagara Visitor

I am at my Uncle Ernie's place in Havelock, Ontario. About 300 km. north east of home.  He's 82, and trying to sell his place.  He and Aunt Alma built a house on the Trent Waterway and were in the houseboat rental biz.  He has 680 ft. frontage on the water and my sons and their friends come here often to go fishing.  

I brought a rabbit along which is in the oven, and am making some roasted potatoes.  Red cabbage is all done.  Unc loves, loves my rabbit.

Tomorrow I go on to Ottawa, our capital.  I have never been there as a tourist, just a couple of times to take my sister for her chemo, and that was in the winter.  I am blowing the budget and have booked a hotel right downtown, The Lord Elgin, so that once there, I park my car and can either walk or take public transportation.  I need to learn to do some travelling solo if I don't want to sit at home all the time.

202SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:23 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Niagara Visitor wrote:

Tomorrow I go on to Ottawa, our capital.  I have never been there as a tourist, just a couple of times to take my sister for her chemo, and that was in the winter.  I am blowing the budget and have booked a hotel right downtown, The Lord Elgin, so that once there, I park my car and can either walk or take public transportation.  I need to learn to do some travelling solo if I don't want to sit at home all the time.

Good for You!! Enjoy your trip!!!

203SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Way to go, Niagara! Enjoy your trip....be safe but don't let doubt or fear keep you from having a wonderful vacation!

Tonight Dane was still exhausted from doing yard work most of the morning. He asked for tender chicken.....

Braised chicken breast, acorn squash & limas. He's happy ~ all his favorites!

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 09.15.15

204SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 11986388_1070081263016627_113832411941181141_n

grilled wings.

205SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

All the food looks great Beth and Barb....

I'm waiting for Tina to get home before eating.....Something???

206SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:00 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

DH and Roomie are taco hounds, so tonight it was carne asada tacos with pico de gallo and guacamole. I took two bites and now I am chugging the Pepto Bismol. I have zero tolerance for spice, chilies and raw onions. It sure tasted good though. I think I will be hating life for a few hours until the pain goes away.

207SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:41 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:DH and Roomie are taco hounds, so tonight it was carne asada tacos with pico de gallo and guacamole. I took two bites and now I am chugging the Pepto Bismol. I have zero tolerance for spice, chilies and raw onions. It sure tasted good though. I think I will be hating life for a few hours until the pain goes away.

Bugs...is it acid reflux you are doing pepto for?

I take a zantac 150 1/2 hour before eating. That holds the pain in check, but I have to be sure there is 6 hours of being awake so it all digests.

Maybe you have a peptic ulcer. ? ... Did you ever hear of digestive enzymes??

Do you use oleomargarine eating it or baking and cooking with it? That stuff is a sour stomach maker for me and Tina. No

208SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:54 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I had taken Pepcid a few hours earlier. It is not heartburn or acid reflux. It is a real ulcer-like gut pain that sometimes takes days to go away. I just can't eat what I used to. All it takes is a quarter-inch square of raw onion to do me in. Tonight was a double whammy with maybe a chunk of jalapeno that made it into my gut. You would think I would learn, but I just love Mexican food and have to have one bite.

209SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I had taken Pepcid a few hours earlier. It is not heartburn or acid reflux. It is a real ulcer-like gut pain that sometimes takes days to go away. I just can't eat what I used to. All it takes is a quarter-inch square of raw onion to do me in. Tonight was a double whammy with maybe a chunk of jalapeno that made it into my gut. You would think I would learn, but I just love Mexican food and have to have one bite.

Tina said she has the pain like that also. In the stomach that is. She takes a Zantac, and the pain subsides in 20 minutes.

Bugs.... you don't have an obstruction, do you?

210SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled a package of 'fresh' purple peas this morning. It might just be me, but all the 'fresh' peas/beans my neighbor got from the farm markets all taste the same. But, hey, as long as they taste like lima beans, we'll eat 'em!

I had a couple slices of par cooked bacon in the drawer and I chopped my usual carrots/onions/celery to add to the pot. I thawed out about 16 oz. of ham stock and supplimented it with some chicken stock and water.

The peas are just about tender after a 45 minute simmer.

I'm going to have them with some pork tonight - boneless chops for him, pork steak for me. If the weather holds I think I'll grill and add some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. If we get the rain they say we 'might', well, it'll be a stovetop braise with the SBR's.

I'm thinking the peas will be my 'starch' so maybe I'll steam some fresh green beans, too.

211SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have a small pork tenderloin roast. I cut it in half and will stuff it and grill.

212SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina is home today unwinding ....tomorrow to the funeral parlor to get the urn with aunt Helens ashes.

Then it's recoup and on with life .....

T made a small lasagna that I am watching in the toaster oven.

T is watching with her eyes closed....her classic old black and white movies.
I'm next door helping the neighbor put his front end on his Audi together.... Nice 76 degree day and breezy....

213SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:57 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I had taken Pepcid a few hours earlier. It is not heartburn or acid reflux. It is a real ulcer-like gut pain that sometimes takes days to go away. I just can't eat what I used to. All it takes is a quarter-inch square of raw onion to do me in. Tonight was a double whammy with maybe a chunk of jalapeno that made it into my gut. You would think I would learn, but I just love Mexican food and have to have one bite.

Tina said she has the pain like that also. In the stomach that is. She takes a Zantac, and the pain subsides in 20 minutes.

Jimmy, I have had gut problems most of my life. Something happened when I was 18 that damaged my gut forever.

214SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was received with a smile ~ he liked it all. Of course, he got his preferred pork loin chop instead of my favored pork shoulder steak. The purple peas didn't have a whole lot of flavor (IMO) so I chopped a Hatch chile and added it for the last 20 - 30 minutes of simmering. That was what it needed. Well, it might have been even tastier if I had added a can of diced tomatoes w/chiles at the beginning, but they were good just the same. At the last minute I decided on the corn muffins to go with the peas.

Horray for Jiffy Mix!

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 09.16.15

215SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 284799_3478338604615_2102813972_n

216SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:28 pm

Niagara Visitor

I just had a delicious beet salad in an Irish pub, just down the street from Canada's Parliament Buildings in Ottawa.  It was delicious, I'm not really crazy about beets, but keep trying them  This salad had walnuts and blue cheese, and everything is better with Blue cheese, right???

217SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb - your stuffed pork tenderloin looks wonderful. Love the sides, too....zucchini noodles!

Lore - Beet salad is one of my favorites. Except I do not care for bleu cheese, or any cheese for that matter....but I love beets with orange segments & walnuts or pecans on a bitter green, like arugula. I usually try to have a beet salad when I roast the red beets, which really concentrates the sweetness in them.

218SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:10 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Jimmy, I have had gut problems most of my life. Something happened when I was 18 that damaged my gut forever.

I feel so sorry for you bugs... What a bummer.

219SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:41 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Cornmealcrescentrollsunbaked400

Super bored so I  made rolls.......wait for it......

220SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:48 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Cornmeal-crescent-rolls-425a

Done to perfection..Proud.. cooled,freezer wrapped............Made the mistake of NOT putting them in the freezer. Came in the kitchen this morning and MS.KAT got into them.  Piles of crumbs wall to wall on the kitchen floor. Shocked Shocked cat cat affraid SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 1450907917

Oh and dogs got into a fight over trying to out eat each other for the treat on the floor........

So much for that...Way to start the day at 5.30 am....

221SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:53 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Barb - your stuffed pork tenderloin looks wonderful. Love the sides, too....zucchini noodles!

Thank you Beth. Seems like a good idea to make a small roast . It was very juicy and tender. I bought 4 zucc and had to do something with them..lol.

Eating some what of carbs right now, then I will have to slack off big time...Dr appt on the 30th..ha..

222SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:58 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Cornmeal-crescent-rolls-425a

Done to perfection..Proud.. cooled,freezer wrapped............Made the mistake of NOT putting them in the freezer. Came in the kitchen this morning and MS.KAT got into them.  Piles of crumbs wall to wall on the kitchen floor. Shocked Shocked cat cat affraid SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 1450907917

Oh and dogs got into a fight over trying to out eat each other for the treat on the floor........

Your cats ate the bread??? My cats have no interest in that. What they do like are salty things like ham, Cheetos, chips, Fritos, nuts (they lick off the salt). They don't even like milk.

223SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:04 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Roomie's dogs are another matter entirely. I should keep them in the kitchen with me while I am cooking because they are like vacuum cleaners. Suck up anything faster than you can blink. I wouldn't have to sweep the floor after I cook. We do have to be careful though because their systems are not used to rich foods. The other night Olive had a few bites of tri tip steak and got the worst gas. Roomie could hardly stand it.

224SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:18 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Cornmeal-crescent-rolls-425a

WOW! Those are BEAUTIFUL! SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 4056093967

Such a shame they got stolen right off the countertop.....If I wasn't laughin' so hard picturing the look on your face at 5:30 a.m. I would probably be able to come up with some phrase to console you with......

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 1838020472

225SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 9 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:31 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just can't picture a cat stealing bread. Must have had some butter on it.
We have had dogs that steal: one stole and ate a whole cherry strudel, another pinched a whole standing rib roast, another stole a bag of See's Candy. The rib roast was stolen by my sister's poodle. She found the roast in the dog's crate hidden under a blanket. She pulled it out, washed it off, seasoned it and roasted it for friends and family. LOL. Frankly, I can't blame her. What I don't understand is why the dog didn't try to eat it. I guess he was going to dry-age the meat till it got nice and ripe. Gosh! I forgot about the Honey Baked ham and the piece of chocolate tart. The dog got really sick with the tart. Chocolate is poisonous to dogs, although the dog that ate the See's candy didn't get sick at all and he even ate the paper bag.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum