Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??"

+4
Imelda HL
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 18]

126SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Boy, everyone's food sounds good to me!

Barb, I love mixing corn with just about anything, especially when it's paired with bacon.  The two seem to go together perfectly.  (I'll pass on the salmon....not a fan ~ but you ENJOY!)

I like to do that with leftover brats ~ little slits in the brat and then rolled around in a hot pan until it gets a 'snap' when you bite into it.

Lore - the sweetness of those Yukon Golds is the perfect side with the pork & sauerkraut.  The sweet/sour taste is really good.  Sometimes I do that with smoked beef sausage when I don't want to take the time to cook down a fresh (smoked) hock.  Good stuff!
Jimmy, did you brown up the outside of the brat to make it have crispy bits?

I did like you did once. I spiral cut all around the each brat!
I baked them in the toaster oven with the convection fan at 350, for like 25 minutes. Oh they were so crispy and crunchy!
I had hot mustard mixed with hot sauce to dip the crispy fork fulls.
Then the baked beans. Bush's brand. I got a name for the brats made that way..... BBB's .... "Beths Baked Brats"..... Now say that fast 5 times.
hahahahahah.... I fumble the first thung thied thing..... shucks!

127SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:33 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Gosh Norm,now I want to make turkey lol That is a thing of beauty..

128SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:As promised, I did a trial run on the turkey in the Nesco.  I tried a brown in bag. I tried two but they both broke because I didn't know how to use them. I'll do better next time.  I used Kitchen Bouquet and butter along with poultry seasoning for a baste.  The recipe said allow 15 to 20 minutes per pound.  That's 5 to 7 hours for a 21lb turkey.  This one was done after only a little more than 3 hours.  I have cut it and wrapped it in foil and keeping it warm in the oven along with gravy, dressing, green beans, creamed corn, buttermilk mashed potatoes and gravy.  I am going to keep notes to myself until after Thanksgiving because my sister reads my facebook and maybe my blog too.  Charlie probably won't be home for another 45 minutes (-or+) so I'll find out how well things can be made ahead and kept warm and still be good.
SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 DSCN2896_zpsyhy9lmgl

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 DSCN2899_zpsumwcefpd

"HAPPY pre- THANKSGIVING NORM!!!!

129SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:37 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks Jimmy. Here is a picture of the rest of the meal. I only took one picture of it and it didn't turn out very well but here it is anyway. Cassie's sisters' kids were there and Charlie invited our neighbor over and sent a lot home with her so there weren't many left overs.

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 DSCN2902_zps8vhxp78r

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

130SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

.............."The recipe said allow 15 to 20 minutes per pound. That's 5 to 7 hours for a 21lb turkey."

FIVE TO SEVEN HOURS???? For a turkey? Where the heck did that recipe come from? The same place our mother's got that information and decided they had to start the turkey in the oven at 4 a.m. ?????

It does look good. And there's so much you can do with a turkey ~ it really shouldn't be just for the one lonely Thursday in November.

131SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:.............."The recipe said allow 15 to 20 minutes per pound.  That's 5 to 7 hours for a 21lb turkey."

FIVE TO SEVEN HOURS????  For a turkey?  Where the heck did that recipe come from?  The same place our mother's got that information and decided they had to start the turkey in the oven at 4 a.m. ?????

It does look good.  And there's so much you can do with a turkey ~ it really shouldn't be just for the one lonely Thursday in November.

The thing to consider, is ???? at what temperature oven.
I did a 23 Lb. in the oven foil covered at 225ºF in at 4:00 and out at 1:00 to eat at 2:30. The last 30 minutes at 350 Uncovered to brown. The bones pulled right out of the flesh. hahahahahahaha.... the priest said to me,"Now son, have you commited any sins of the flesh?" ..... I said, "Yes Father, but my mother punished me for it already!" ..... Priest said,"And what was the extent of the sin child?" ..... I said,"Well, Mom had the turkey all cooked, and I picked off and ate the crispy FLESH off of the whole turkey!" ....... Crying or Very sad

132SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:01 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Actually, 5 to 7 hours sounds right to me if it is stuffed.

133SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:13 am

NormM

NormM

This was the Nesco recipe and 15 to 20 minutes per pound was for unstuffed, 30 to 40 minutes per pound for stuffed.

134SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:47 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

How did you manage to get the crust brown and crispy? I think I tried a Nesco once and my turkey looked like it had been boiled.

It was 100 yesterday then we got some strong wind, black clouds, thunder and rain. The temp went from 100 to 80 in 15 minutes. Then it stayed there and steamed. UGH! Today may be a repeat of yesterday. I have some leftover pasta salad I need to get rid of. Yesterday we had chicken. What can I have with it today?

135SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:33 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:.............."The recipe said allow 15 to 20 minutes per pound.  That's 5 to 7 hours for a 21lb turkey."

FIVE TO SEVEN HOURS????  For a turkey?  Where the heck did that recipe come from?  The same place our mother's got that information and decided they had to start the turkey in the oven at 4 a.m. ?????

It does look good.  And there's so much you can do with a turkey ~ it really shouldn't be just for the one lonely Thursday in November.

If I needed   20lbs of turkey, I would roast (smoke/grill) 2 10lb-ers..lol..

My freezer went out,I thought,so I cut up a 10lb turkey and threw it in the oven.On a rack. That thing was done in hour half..Best dang turkey lol.

136SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:34 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Yesterday we had chicken. What can I have with it today?

I make chicken salad with leftover chicken.. SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 2599281016

137SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:17 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The old man ( like me NOW ) we lived next door to when we were in our 30,s, used to say, "I found a new way to cook the turkey!" .... He said,"I boil it for one hour, then I crank the oven up to 500, and one more hour in the oven to brown it, and it's done nice and juicy!"....

OH!.... it was juicy all right.  Raw!.....and pink inside.

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 348s

138SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:32 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

When my bro and I where youngins,my mom raised a bunch of white chickens, grandpa came and wrung their necks. affraid Blood bath .. We did not eat chicken for years and years.Some things you never forget.You can not un see.

139SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have often thought that if people like turkey so much, why only serve it Thanksgiving?  It really is a bargain bird.  Get two or three of them when they are on special at Thanksgiving.  I'm not that crazy about it.  I occasionally will get just a breast and make that.

140SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was at a total loss as to what to fix for supper....so I perused through my Photobucket account and when I came to a pic of Taco Salad, well, I knew I had what was needed, including some avacados to make guacamole.

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 09.10.15

141SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:46 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Carbonara_1

Carbonara.. Lazy day dinner..I am sick of cooking.   Funny I bought stuff for taco salad..ha..

142SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I want what you had!

But Dane gets in a snit if I plan pasta. He thinks it's too much carbs for him. But he'll eat a baked white potato with no problem.

So, pasta will be on my menu plan pretty soon.....

143SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My Roomie just showed me her late night snack she had last night: she tried to eat her ear plugs.Then she tried to eat a wet washcloth. My DH and I are in stitches. She needs to see her sleep disorder doctor for a change in meds.

Hot as hell again so I am making tomato basil soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. I had all of this basil I needed to use up.

144SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I want what you had!

But Dane gets in a snit if I plan pasta.  He thinks it's too much carbs for him.  But he'll eat a baked white potato with no problem.

So, pasta will be on my menu plan pretty soon.....

I want what Barb had too! And would you believe , the carb thought hit me too.

145SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Oh it did me too. For a nano second.. cheers

146SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:01 pm

Niagara Visitor

I had leftovers from last night's pork hock and sauerkraut.  

Just finished making  a pan full of mushrooms/onions to go with tomorrow nights's dinner.  I invited two friends I MET IN THE NURSING HOME WHERE MY HUBBY WAS.  tHEY ARE GOING 2-3 TIMES A DAY TO FEED THEIR HUIBBIES, SO i WILL COOK FOR THEM TOMORROW.  

iT'S GOING TO BE A REal German dinner (SORRY CAPS)  Making Rinds Rouladen (stuffed  beef steak (top round)) red cabbage, mushrooms, and Spaetzle, 

Haven't decided on a dessert yet.

147SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Jimmy did OK today! A rice cake plain in the am with my pills.
Lunch was nothing to speak of. Supper at 5 for me, was cod steamed with onions and tomatoes in wine and olive oil. Just salt and pepper and a dusting of oregano.
I saved a piece ( 4"x 2" ) for breakfast on my egg omelet tomorrow!

Gabe had Swedish meatballs with gravy washed off. He hates gravy of any kind. Tater tots, and Green /Giant cut green beans. A slice of raisin bread toasted and cut into strips with no butter. He gets sick from butter. PITA

148SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good job, Jimmy. Glad you're holding down the fort while Tina is busy with her aunt. Hope she's not over-doing it with the caretaking....she's in my prayers.

149SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:17 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Good job, Jimmy.  Glad you're holding down the fort while Tina is busy with her aunt.  Hope she's not over-doing it with the caretaking....she's in my prayers.

She is in complete control, and her Uncle said,"I want only the best for my wife!"
I will say it so as others have said.  He did get the best! He's got his wonderful neice,....."Tina".

150SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" - Page 6 Empty Re: SEPTEMBER 2015.."What's For Dinner??" Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:30 pm

NormM

NormM

Bugster2 wrote:How did you manage to get the crust brown and crispy? I think I tried a Nesco once and my turkey looked like it had been boiled.

It was 100 yesterday then we got some strong wind, black clouds, thunder and rain. The temp went from 100 to 80 in 15 minutes. Then it stayed there and steamed. UGH! Today may be a repeat of yesterday. I have some leftover pasta salad I need to get rid of. Yesterday we had chicken. What can I have with it today?

I basted about 4 times with a browning sauce made up of 1 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet, 1/4 C. melted butter and seasoned with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum