Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner??

+5
Imelda HL
Barbara101
NormM
Bugster2
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 16]

326JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked all the ripe tomatoes I had on my roma bushes....not all that many, at least not compared to the bumper crops I had in Ohio. It's just too hot here for the ripening fruit to mature as it should. I didn't want to make a 2 cup batch of marinara so I cut them in half, seeded and roasted them with just evoo and s&p like I did in the past.

So, today we're having a plate of appetizers to have with 'Cocktail Hour'.

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 06.28.15%20Cocktail%20Hour

327JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:51 pm

NormM

NormM

Looks quite refreshing Beth.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

328JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Norm, and yes it was....nothing better than a nice cold glass of Spicy V-8!

(did that sound convincing???)

Hahahahahaha

329JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I picked all the ripe tomatoes I had on my roma bushes....not all that many, at least not compared to the bumper crops I had in Ohio.  It's just too hot here for the ripening fruit to mature as it should.  I didn't want to make a 2 cup batch of marinara so I cut them in half, seeded and roasted them with just evoo and s&p like I did in the past.

So, today we're having a plate of appetizers to have with 'Cocktail Hour'.

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 06.28.15%20Cocktail%20Hour

Surely does look great Beth. Nice tall glasses. Wink

330JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks, Jimmy. I looked for 2 years for those glasses ~ got served a cocktail in one at a little Bistro in Mt. Dora and I kept my eyes open in every store that sells bar ware until I found what I was looking for. They're old fashioned Collins glasses, I think.....what a Tom Collins cocktail was served in.

Tonight for supper I ended up making some Sweet & Sour Chicken. I should have just said the Cocktail Hour WAS supper. I wasn't hungry at all....

LOL

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 06.28.15

331JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:37 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 10559915_491912840966377_7223621007070287206_n

332JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 11265163_1063220880372849_4215420187614485594_n

333JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:55 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Fried%20rice

cauliflower fried rice (no rice)

334JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:05 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

That V-8 juice is just like eating a cold soup.

335JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:That V-8 juice is just like eating a cold soup.

I can't eat that, OR Tomato juice...

Mom & Dad used to drink those tomato juice, with salt and a raw egg at the bottom.
Hangover Fixer Upper!

336JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Silly people.....

it's a Bloody Mary!

Barb - fantastic job on the shrimp and faux fried rice. Clever Lady!

337JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:12 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Love Bloody Mary's but they don't like me. I still manage to have a sip or two when DH has one. So tasty!

338JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:48 pm

NormM

NormM

The first drink I legally ordered at a bar was a Tom Collins.

339JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:44 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I was grocery shopping today and came home with a whole lot of nothing.  I got everything on the list we both add to as we discover things we're out of, but none of the meat looked interesting to cook and I wasn't in the mood.  Maybe I'll go on a meat run later in the week.

Do they have butcher shops in your area, Beth? Real butcher shops? I wish we did. We have lots of seafood shops that will knock your socks off but not real butcher shops. Now if you go to one of two local, very upscale groceries here, or Whole Food, you have real butchers. Right now, Brian does the shopping. But even when I could go, I hate to go to those types of groceries because I end up going thru the entire place and buying a ton of stuff I want and lots of stuff I really don't need but just lust after occasionally. When I check out, I'm astonished at what I spent! Embarassed

I was going to go with him today on a relatively short grocery run (I haven't been since the nice local grocery we shop at -- Rouse's -- built a brand new store that's closer to us and much bigger than the one we used to go to), as I thought I'd be able to walk that far and stand up that long. My back is getting better and I told him if I got tired and he wasn't finished, I could go sit in the car in the A/C and wait for him. He reminded me how hot it is outside and said it would be better if instead I tried to do more of the cooking tonight (I'm smiling but you have to love the guy!), as I could sit down periodically or just direct him from the sofa if I got too tired. I deadpanned back at him and said, "Well, I'm definitely going to the grocery then," and he howled!

340JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:I was grocery shopping today and came home with a whole lot of nothing.  I got everything on the list we both add to as we discover things we're out of, but none of the meat looked interesting to cook and I wasn't in the mood.  Maybe I'll go on a meat run later in the week.

Do they have butcher shops in your area, Beth?  Real butcher shops?  I wish we did.  We have lots of seafood shops that will knock your socks off but not real butcher shops.  Now if you go to one of two local, very upscale groceries here, or Whole Food, you have real butchers.  Right now, Brian does the shopping.  But even when I could go, I hate to go to those types of groceries because I end up going thru the entire place and buying a ton of stuff I want and lots of stuff I really don't need but just lust after occasionally.  When I check out, I'm astonished at what I spent!  Embarassed

I was going to go with him today on a relatively short grocery run (I haven't been since the nice local grocery we shop at -- Rouse's -- built a brand new store that's closer to us and much bigger than the one we used to go to), as I thought I'd be able to walk that far and stand up that long.  My back is getting better and I told him if I got tired and he wasn't finished, I could go sit in the car in the A/C and wait for him.  He reminded me how hot it is outside and said it would be better if instead I tried to do more of the cooking tonight (I'm smiling but you have to love the guy!), as I could sit down periodically or just direct him from the sofa if I got too tired.  I deadpanned back at him and said, "Well, I'm definitely going to the grocery then," and he howled!  

21 years ago, in the French Quarter .... Tina and I were there for my 50'th birthday, we went to a little hole in the wall A&P store ??if my mind serves me? on Decatur St. ??? I think! There was Tina ...zooom ...right to the Meat Dept. to check out the meat and the prices. Tina worked for the A&P here in our town back then.

341JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:44 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I picked all the ripe tomatoes I had on my roma bushes....not all that many, at least not compared to the bumper crops I had in Ohio.  It's just too hot here for the ripening fruit to mature as it should.

Yep, once the nights get around 70-75 degrees, the tomato blossoms stop fruiting.  Cucumbers (we're growing a pickling type this summer from seed -- you can't find the pickling transplants anymore, as there's not much interest) and eggplant do really well in the southern heat.  We plant the transplants two to three weeks later than we start our tomatoes.  

I think I mentioned we made some whole dill pickles already (too early to try them, another 4 weeks or so at the earliest).  I'm getting ready to thickly slice some cucumbers to soak tonight (hopefully), as we're making some Crisp Lime Pickles again as they came out wonderful.  They taste like bread and butter pickles, one of my favorites.  Brian loved 'em too.  Plus I have a lot of pickling lime left, too, to use up.  

bethk wrote:So, today we're having a plate of appetizers to have with 'Cocktail Hour'.

Love, love, love appetizers.  Those look delicious, Beth.

342JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:21 years ago, in the French Quarter .... Tina and I were there for my 50'th birthday, we went to a little hole in the wall A&P store ??if my mind serves me? on Decatur St. ??? I think! There was Tina ...zooom ...right to the Meat Dept. to check out the meat and the prices. Tina worked for the A&P here in our town back then.

You're on the money with the name, as it was indeed an A&P, which FINALLY closed a couple of years ago. It had been there FOREVER but when you live in the Quarter and relying on a street parking place (if you weren't blessed enough to have off-street parking, which is pretty scarce if you own, much less rent), any port in a storm, you know? The street, however, was Royal Street and not Decatur.

Did you go to Central Grocery (Italian "grocery" on Decatur) and get a muffaletta, Jimmy? They not only invented the sandwich but, IMHO, still have the best one in town. They're huge, but I can down a whole one. Brian laughs at me, as he can only get down a half. Some of the places here have pretty decent ones, but a lot of them HEAT the sandwich, whereas I prefer it as originally made, room temp with no heat whatsoever.

I love going to Central, as they have all the imported meats and cheeses -- Prosciutto de Parma, pancetta, sopressata, mortadella, spec, Genoa salami, fresh mozzarella, imported Romano and Parmesan, fresh feta (I know it's Greek but sometimes they have it; the fresh is the BEST), provolone, gorgonzola, fontina, etc. They have other cheeses, too, which aren't fresh but sometimes hard to find. And the canned items are amazing. Some of the best are behind the counter. One time I got six cans of imported cherry tomato sauce added to my already huge order and the man behind the counter (family but he looked like he just got off the boat!) said, smiling, "Only the best cooks know about and purchase the cherry tomato sauce." I howled laughing, as did he!

Even though it was 21 years ago, I sure hope you had a good time here, Jimmy. And I definitely hope you ate well, too!

343JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Do they have butcher shops in your area, Beth?  Real butcher shops?  I wish we did.  We have lots of seafood shops that will knock your socks off but not real butcher shops.  Now if you go to one of two local, very upscale groceries here, or Whole Food, you have real butchers.  Right now, Brian does the shopping.  But even when I could go, I hate to go to those types of groceries because I end up going thru the entire place and buying a ton of stuff I want and lots of stuff I really don't need but just lust after occasionally.  When I check out, I'm astonished at what I spent!  Embarassed

I was going to go with him today on a relatively short grocery run (I haven't been since the nice local grocery we shop at -- Rouse's -- built a brand new store that's closer to us and much bigger than the one we used to go to), as I thought I'd be able to walk that far and stand up that long.  My back is getting better and I told him if I got tired and he wasn't finished, I could go sit in the car in the A/C and wait for him.  He reminded me how hot it is outside and said it would be better if instead I tried to do more of the cooking tonight (I'm smiling but you have to love the guy!), as I could sit down periodically or just direct him from the sofa if I got too tired.  I deadpanned back at him and said, "Well, I'm definitely going to the grocery then," and he howled!  

No butcher shops, no decent seafood shops. I don't get it. The only place close to having the kind of meats I want is Fresh Market and their prices are just too high. I want some skirt steak for fajitas....$17.95/lb. That's right..$18 for a pound of 'throw-away' meat! Chicken wings are $3 to $4 per pound ~ FOR BONES!!!! Oh, I get so angry. So, I watch the sales and that's what I get. I do go to Fresh Market on Tuesdays for my ground beef. $2.99/lb for FRESH GROUND. So much better than any of the other chain stores.

The lack of seafood shops baffles my mind. The only ones I've found are set up in abandoned gas stations with a freezer unit placed behind the door. They sell frozen seafood out of coolers - the kind of cooler you put your beer in to go to the beach. WTH?? We are only 2 hours from the gulf and/or ocean. You'd think we could get fresh seafood without a problem.

344JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:

Don't they have those electric scooters that you can use in the store?

345JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:05 pm

Niagara Visitor

I am having a large fillet of fresh caught large mouth Bass that my son caught in Lake Erie today. Yesterday was apparently opening of Bass season but we had monsoonal rain. I also have 4 very large Bass carcasses simmering on my stove to make stock for future chowder.

I will have a whole bunch of still locally grown asparagus to go along. Yummy!

346JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:22 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I can get fresh off the boat here.I just go to the dock.Fresh veggies at the farmers markets .We have ONE store here that supports are local farmers that is Harris Teeter.

We have no jewish deli or any deli. No butchers shops or decent bakery. No ethnic stores of any kind except Mexican grocery.

I shopped like heck when I went to DS in Delaware OMG the stores. JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 3267860543 JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 940422454 Plus it was so much cheaper then here.

347JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:18 pm

NormM

NormM

At first I missed the cattle ranch and dairy farm where I could get better quality meat than at the grocery store. They both used a butcher shop in a small town about 20 miles away. All the meat available from them was frozen solid. Now that I was looking for some place where I could get a whole brisket, I discovered some nice butcher shops that sell fresh-never frozen meat.

348JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:41 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Tuscan%20shrimp5

JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Tuscan%20shrimp7

349JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Very nice, Barb! You make the most intriguing & appetizing meals.

I went to Orlando with Lyn today. She had an errand to run and didn't want to drive down alone. We went to lunch at The Cheesecake Factory, had a lovely kale salad.

I must be on a roll.....when I got home later, Dane wanted Taco H@ll and I ended up making yet another kale/apple/tart dried cherry/walnut salad.

My body must be craving something.....

350JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? - Page 14 Empty Re: JUNE, 2015...What's For Dinner?? Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:16 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Very nice, Barb! You make the most intriguing & appetizing meals.

thank you Beth.well sometimes I see good eats on pinterest and stuff it in the back of my mind lol.Then all I have to do is look in my fridge .I just buy items on a whim, then just go with it.

I make a tuna with those beans so good,, love it ,so I just added them as a base on the plate.When store has them on sale 10 for $5.I load up..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum