Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April. Whats for dinner????

+4
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
Barbara101
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 14]

51April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It was so much easier when you could take your bone(s) to the local butcher and he'd cut them up for you.

Not any more.  They think you're trying to contaminate the place if you bring stuff into the store.

Beth... You posted this a few seconds while I posted.

I doubt the butcher will cut the ham after it was cooked, but if you like want a ham cut new from the store, they will put it on the saw for you. At least Tina Did.
Same with a Frozen Turkey. ( They do frown on it; because they have to tear down the saw, and clean it )

They did away with custom cutting lately. It's all done in the plant packaging facilities. It is rare to have meat hanging on the hoof anymore also.
Some of the small Mom and Pop Butcher Shoppes Do!

I know, if you buy a cooked roast beef in the deli, they will slice it for you on the machine if you wish, but they would have to cook it.

52April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

There is some kind of issue about contamination so the butcher or grocer won't cut them. I know about the meat saw but would a hack saw do the same thing? I would rarely use a butcher saw so I can't see buying one, but you never know. Sometimes I buy a pork butt or something I wish I cut down. We do have a Sawsall but I am not sure DH is willing to give it a try.

53April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:46 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:There is some kind of issue about contamination so the butcher or grocer won't cut them. I know about the meat saw but would a hack saw do the same thing? I would rarely use a butcher saw so I can't see buying one, but you never know. Sometimes I buy a pork butt or something I wish I cut down. We do have a Sawsall but I am not sure DH is willing to give it a try.

Hacksaw would work as long as it is not too narrow, but it would suffice.
A blade with 16 TPI ( teeth per inch ) would be your best bet. A stainless steel blade would be best.

The local rescue or fire dept. could use the jaws of life to cut the bone too!
Tell them they could practice on your ham!.... I could see the newsprint...

"Woman Calls 911 for Stuck Ham Bone!" ..... Makes Two pots of Ham & Pea soup: One for her and one for the Fire Squad!" ..... Woman glad to have plenty of Bread in Jail to dunk into her soup as she awaits the funny farm to take her away in a white coat! ....

54April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Gosh I have had frozen turkeys and chickens cut by the butcher. Standing rib roast too . Never asked about a ham because I just use the bone as is.

55April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Pistachio%20bundt

lemon and pistachio mini bundts.

56April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:48 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Several years ago I asked one of the meat guys at the local Stop & Shop to cut a smoked should in half for me. He said he could not do it. It had to sell as is.....
I went to Shaw's supermarket and asked the head meat guy who explained to me it was about cross contamination of food; and the he would have to break down and clean the machine before and after he cut it...
I do not think my corner butcher would cut a ham, possibly if it was bought at his store, but not from anywhere else...I don't blame him on that..don't know where or how old the ham would be...so the risk of germs would be high.....
A small one would be great for one or two people....

57April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:35 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am going to turn my DH loose on it and see what happens. I think he might have to wrap it and put it in the vice to hold it steady.

58April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:05 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Brisket%20taco2

Brisket taco

59April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:16 pm

NormM

NormM

The bone saw I have has different camber on the teeth than my hacksaw.  It bone saw cuts faster plus the frame and blade stainless stainless while the hacksaw has a blade that will rust if it gets wet.  It's like the planer made for wood working is not stainless while the microplane used in the kitchen is.

The hams I cut are country hams that come whole. I don't think the meat dept. would cut it.  A lot of grocery stores now days don't even have the ability to cut meat anymore.

PS the one pictured is $20.00.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

60April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:The bone saw I have has different camber on the teeth than my hacksaw.  It bone saw cuts faster plus the frame and blade stainless stainless while the hacksaw has a blade that will rust if it gets wet.  It's like the planer made for wood working is not stainless while the microplane used in the kitchen is.

The hams I cut are country hams that come whole. I don't think the meat dept. would cut it.  A lot of grocery stores now days don't even have the ability to cut meat anymore.

PS the one pictured is $20.00.

On what website?

61April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I started cutting the remaining chunks of ham off the bone and discovered a joint. A quick bend with two hands and the use of a knife cut the bone in half. No need for a meat knife now but maybe in the future.

62April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I started cutting the remaining chunks of ham off the bone and discovered a joint. A quick bend with two hands and the use of a knife cut the bone in half. No need for a meat knife now but maybe in the future.

Oooops!... the story changes now!

"Flash" "Flash"......
"Womans husband Asked to saw Pigs Leg in half....But Woman Breaks the leg Joint
With Bare Hands!"
Woman says, "Pig was a Female, and hip bone was splintered and weak due to
Plopping On Ground to do its Duty; instead of sitting down slowly!" April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 2876911673 April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 2876911673

63April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I disected the ham on the bone today. It was kept cold in my small 35 to 37º refrigerator since Sundays Dinner.
I made a Ham and Bean soup. Came out good, but not even close to my next door neighbors.

Last 20 minutes, I threw 3/4 cup of baby shells in to boil with the soup to thicken it.
That put the final touch on the soup. I had two Big Bowls. Tina had like a 1/2 cup. She said it was good!... I didn't make a huge pot, and there is a little over a quart left. That's Fine with me.

The rest of the ham pickens, I got three sandwich baggies, and I put them in a vacuum bag and that squeezed out most of the air, and plopped them in the freezer for use for later on.

65April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Norm!

66April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:53 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

hey, Bugs, another option is if you have a hack saw the same size as the first one....16", then just buy replacement stainless steel blades for $7.89

just a thought

67April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:05 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

This all sounds dangerous to me .. I won't be doing it.

68April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Not much cooking going on around my house. Last night I made tomato soup and grilled cheese (for Mr. Amazing), butter sandwich for me.

Tonight I was going to grill some pork and he decided at the last possible moment he wanted Taco Bell (I won't spell it the way HE pronounced it.....lol). So, pork will be grilled tomorrow. Taco supper tonight.

69April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:31 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am having another bowl of brisket chili. Last of the brisket. And cake lol

Strawberry farm opens on the morning $1.25 lb!!!!

70April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Last night I suddenly remembered that my father had a stainless bone saw for cutting off limbs and such. One of my sisters has it in a box somewhere but neither of them can be bothered to go look for it. That is so irritating. So close and yet so far.

We had fried chicken, potato salad and bbq beans for dinner. I will probably have heartburn later on.

71April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:26 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Last night I suddenly remembered that my father had a stainless bone saw for cutting off limbs and such. One of my sisters has it in a box somewhere but neither of them can be bothered to go look for it. That is so irritating. So close and yet so far.

We had fried chicken, potato salad and bbq beans for dinner. I will probably have heartburn later on.

There ya go. An old amputation kit!!!..... That'll work!
The old antique kits came with a bite stick, and a bottle of rum! lol!

72April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Not much cooking going on around my house.  Last night I made tomato soup and grilled cheese (for Mr. Amazing), butter sandwich for me.

Tonight I was going to grill some pork and he decided at the last possible moment he wanted Taco Bell (I won't spell it the way HE pronounced it.....lol).  So, pork will be grilled tomorrow.  Taco supper tonight.

I know I am here figuring out Danes way of saying Taco Bell.

I would think, like a man, that one word relates to a Bouncing Item ? ? ?  April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 1838020472

73April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper for me was early.
I and only I ate cod fish. Oh No! Not your ordinary Cod. DD brought me a hunk of Salt Dried Codfish. I soaked it for 24 Hours changing the water 4 times.

Cooked it with onions and tomatoes..... ( It brought back memories of Italian Baccala )
with olive oil. It will still salty, and it really hit the spot. Burnt the roof of my mouth from the saltiness, and the kitchen stunk like a seaport. Hahahahaha!!!

Tina & Gabe had eggs and home fries. ............ "Boy, am I thirsty! .............

74April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:57 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I would think, like a man, that one word relates to a Bouncing Item ? ? ?  April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 1838020472

No, Jimmy....close, but no cigar.

Change the B into an H......

lol

75April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 Empty Re: April. Whats for dinner???? Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:55 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

No, Jimmy....close, but no cigar.

Change the B into an H......

lol

April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 2876911673 April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 2876911673 April. Whats for dinner???? - Page 3 2876911673

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum