Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead ))

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Empty DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I did a lot of Commercial Refrigeration, in my Working Day's..... and there was this supermarket "Kings" that I had to check a "Baine Marie" ( a cooler that held the stainless tray's on top of the butter / condiments / tomatoes etc. )

The woman was so thankful when I repaired the box, and said "It's lunch time, can I assemble you a sandwich?" .... I felt funny, but said,"OK, Thanks!"
She asked me what I wanted, and it was a Liverwurst on Hoagie Bun.
She asked how I liked it, and I said with onions and Mayonaise!

I took the sandwich up to the cashier with a soup, and paid for it!
I sat in my van and ate the sandwich. It was SOooo Good and the onions were really the winner. I went back in the store, and asked the woman,"What Kind of onins were they. She said, "Deli Onions".

She said "slice two Spanish Onion (Or Other Type ) thin, and add them to a flat container, and add cold water just to cover the slices. " Then add two Tbs. of White Vinegar, and sprinkle a tsp. of granulated sugar. Keep in the refrigerator minimum 4 hours or overnight!"

2DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Empty Re: DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

sounds like a winner.

the cold water takes away the sulphur and 'sweetens' the onions.

I've been doing the ice water soak for years but only recently learned from 'my man, Jacques' why the soak makes the raw onions better.

3DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Empty Re: DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:sounds like a winner.

the cold water takes away the sulphur and 'sweetens' the onions.

I've been doing the ice water soak for years but only recently learned from 'my man, Jacques' why the soak makes the raw onions better.

The only thing that happens here, is either, there is nothing to use them on, or when there is (like today tons of deli sliced ham ) and no onions made!

You are right about cold water crisping them up.

I made tuna salad the other day, and the celery was not limp, but starting to.
I took a stalk, and soaked it in ice water, and it came right back crisp.

4DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Empty Re: DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:She said "slice two Spanish Onion (Or Other Type ) thin, and add them to a flat container, and add cold water just to cover the slices. " Then add two Tbs. of White Vinegar, and sprinkle a tsp. of granulated sugar. Keep in the refrigerator minimum 4 hours or overnight!"

Cool!  I put sliced onions with good vinegar, along with some salt and freshly ground black pepper in a flat container and put in the fridge to make onions to put on top of beans, usually red beans though they'd flatter any beans.   I shake the container every once in a while to mix 'em up while chilling. I like the idea of the cold water to crisp 'em up and might even graduate to the sugar in a dish other than beans.

Thanks, Jimmy!

5DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Empty Re: DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:07 pm

NormM

NormM

I put sliced onions in a wide mouth jar with the juice from a pickled pepperoncini jar.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

6DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Empty Re: DELI ONIONS (( Make Ahead )) Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I put sliced onions in a wide mouth jar with the juice from a pickled pepperoncini   jar.

That's a good idea Norm.
I love those peppers. I used to eat them seeds and all. The only thing I used to do, is poke them and drain them out so the juice wouldn't squirt all over me. What a Face

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum