Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dried Cherry-Port Sauce w/Onions & Marmalade

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Crybaby

Crybaby

I've had this recipe for ages and finally decided to make it the other night when I pan-seared two pork tenderloins and then brought them up to temp in a hot oven while I made the sauce. It was delicious. First night, I used French tarragon in it; when we had the leftovers, I whisked in some freshly chopped cilantro and it really brightened up the flavor.

Dried Cherry-Port Sauce w/Onions & Marmalade
Sauces 2 pork tenderloins. Recipe from Cook's Illustrated, Nov-Dec. 2004

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick (about 1-1/2 cups)
[I added a thinly sliced large clove of garlic]
3/4 cup ruby port
3/4 cup dried cherries
[I added about a Tablespoon of chopped fresh tarragon]
2 Tablespoons orange marmalade
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 3 pieces
Table salt and ground black pepper

1. Add oil to still-hot skillet you cooked your meat in, swirl to coat, and set skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and browned around the edges, 5 to 7 minutes (if drippings are browning too quickly, add 2 Tablespoons water and scrape up browned bits with wooden spoon). Set skillet aside off heat.
2. While pork is resting, set skillet over medium-high heat and add port and cherries; simmer, scraping up browned bits with wooden spoon, until mixture is slightly thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add any accumulated pork juices and continue to simmer until thickened and reduced to about 1/3 cup, 2 to 4 minutes longer. Off heat, whisk in orange marmalade and butter, one piece at a time. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. [I added tarragon the first day and then freshened up the leftovers with some freshly chopped cilantro; both really good.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum