Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chow-Chow (Green Tomato Relish)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chow-Chow (Green Tomato Relish) Empty Chow-Chow (Green Tomato Relish) Mon May 26, 2014 11:53 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here is the recipe I'm going to use for my Chow-Chow (aka ~ Green Tomato Relish). I've put the amounts I plan to use of the ingredients in "( - )" to the left of the original recipe as I'm making a half batch.

Chow-Chow ~ Green Tomato Relish

This relish is great with sausages or pork chops. Or serve it with hot dogs or burgers.

Ingredients:
• (2 ½c) 5 cups coarsely chopped green tomatoes (about 5 tomatoes)
• (2 ½c) 5 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds cabbage)
• (3/4 c) 1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion or sweet onion
• (1 c) 2 cups coarsely chopped bell pepper, at least 1 red for color (about 2 peppers)
• (3 T) 1/3 cup kosher salt or pickling salt
• ( 1 1/4c) 2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
• (1/2c) 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
• ( 1 1/2t) 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
• (1/2t) 1 teaspoon celery seed
• (1/4t) 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste, optional

Preparation:
• Combine the chopped vegetables in a large nonreactive kettle or bowl. Add the salt and stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and let stand for 4 hours or refrigerate overnight.

• Drain the vegetables and rinse thoroughly.

• In a large nonreactive kettle, bring the vinegar, brown sugar, and seeds and spices to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and continue simmering for 5 minutes. Add the drained vegetables and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.

• With a slotted spoon, pack the vegetables into prepared jars. Cover vegetables with the pickling liquid, leaving about 1/4-inch headspace.

• Prepare the canner and jars. Add water to a canner with rack and heat to a boil; reduce heat and keep at a simmer. The water should be high enough to be at least 1 inch above the filled jars. I usually fill it about halfway and I keep a kettle or saucepan of water boiling on another burner to add to the canner as needed. Wash jars thoroughly and heat water in a small saucepan; put the lids in the saucepan and bring almost to the boil; lower heat to very low to keep the lids hot.

• With a clean dampened cloth, wipe the rims of the jars. Place the flat lids on the jars then close caps with screw-on rings tightly, but do not over-tighten. Arrange the filled jars in the canner and add more water, as needed, to be at least 1 inch above the jars. Bring to a full boil. Cover and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Remove the relish to a rack to cool completely.

• Check for seals (the middle of the caps should have made a popping sound while cooling and will stay depressed.

Makes about 4 pints.

2Chow-Chow (Green Tomato Relish) Empty Re: Chow-Chow (Green Tomato Relish) Mon May 26, 2014 11:59 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here are pics as I proceed with the recipe:

Ingredients ready to mix ~

Chow-Chow (Green Tomato Relish) Chow-ChowIngredients

Chopped tomatoes, cabbage, onion & sweet pepper salted to sit 4 hours to remove some of the moisture ~

Chow-Chow (Green Tomato Relish) SaltedVegestosit4hrs

3Chow-Chow (Green Tomato Relish) Empty Re: Chow-Chow (Green Tomato Relish) Mon May 26, 2014 2:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here's my 'makeshift' canning kettle ~ OK since when my jars went into the boiling water there was room for 1" of water above the jars. Oh, and I had a rack in the bottom of the pan so the jars were not sitting on the pan bottom. Once the jars were all placed in the pan and the water came to a rolling boil, I set the timer for 10 minutes and kept the water boiling.

Chow-Chow (Green Tomato Relish) CanningKettle

As I sit here, I've heard the seventh jar "POP" so I know they sealed. I had just enough Chow-Chow to fill the seven 4 oz. jars and the leftover excess got put in a clean (used) jelly jar and that will get stored in the refrigerator and eaten in the next week.

Chow-Chow (Green Tomato Relish) JarredChow-Chow

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum