Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"Do YOU Remember ?"

+3
bethk
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:31 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Louisiana was the last state to change its drinking age to 21 -- and that was only because the Feds were going to withhold federal highway funds.  It's still kind of a joke as you can get INTO a bar at 18 but you can't drink until 21.  Well, you know others in the bar buy drinks for the ones under 21.  We also STILL have drive-thru frozen daiquiri places.  You can't get cited for drinking in the car if the top is still attached to the to-go cup you're given containing the daiquiri.

When I was young, you could drive at 15, too (now it's 16).  When I was in sixth grade, there was this guy Ronald who was 15 and still in the sixth grade.  He used to drive to school!  No lie!  That was in the days where they didn't call on the really dumb people or those with a speech impediment.  Shameful.  But Ronald was a big wheel of sorts, I guess, because of that driver's license...

See... there ya go. The kid with the wheels becomes popular instantly....

Happened here. Granddaughter took her test, and passed, and with in three days, she had friends up the cazoo.
Now, we have that law ( I think it is called Jessica's law? ) that no more that 2 kids in the car, and home curfew at 11 PM no driving, unless going or coming from work.

Well, she had a chit load of kids in the car, and she got ars ended my some lil old grandma 86 years old who pushed on the gas instead of the brake. The kids ran out of the car, and hid in a parking lot, while the police came and made the report.

Car # 2.... a used car, but nice, she is stopped at a light on main street, and a drunk driver pulls out from his parking space...and rear ended poor Meranda... totaled the car. 3 kids in the car, and again...they got out, and pretended they were in town walking; and just helping her with the situation.

Car #3.... Alone this time, she was waiting to turn left off of Allen Road and the car in front of her was stopped waiting for the same turn, WHACK.... rear ended again....a guy said he was texting and didn't see her stop.
Was that Dumb or what??....

Then.... every one of her friends is a mechanic right?
I don't think so!!!.... Her friend put so much oil in the engine that it all foamed and created low oil pressure. Now she has engine damage....the car is not driveable, and all the friends are no longer to be seen or heard from.

Tina takes her and picks her up at work.... 12 mile drive one way.
Tina said,:Where are your friends, they should offer to give you a ride?"
She said, I guess they are gone away or something!

I said,"Yeah, gone away when YOU need a hand or a ride!"
How quickly they scatter!

27"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:08 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'd buy Meranda a bus token....ah, I know it's not her fault, but some kids attract trouble as if they are a magnet.

28"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I'd buy Meranda a bus token....ah, I know it's not her fault, but some kids attract trouble as if they are a magnet.  

Beth. I wished we had a bus. We don't even have a School Bus system. The kids walk on right of way paths developed in 1955, when there were no perverts.

A senior bus only goes to Heath village, an assisted living community outside of town. We got a train though, that runs on a 3 hour basis to points east, and that is closed at 11:00 at night. haaaaa.
We got the Martz every 6 hours to go to NYC or to Scranton, PA or Cleveland, OH. Three big winning cities huh?
Don't plan on coming back the same day though! LOL

Personally...I feel the USA is and has fallen way way behind in public transportation.

29"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:34 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane is watching one of his old movies on TMC, something he does regularly now that he's "retired"...me, I'm just re-tired of hearing the same dialogue over and over again as he watches the same movies all the time...

Well, anyway, I was glancing at the wardrobe of the women and it reminded me of when I was in high school and was sewing my school clothes. It was so much easier in those days to purchase some fabric and a pattern to have something new to wear. I worked after school and on weekends at a Howard Johnson's restaurant and used my tips to spend on material and shoes....shoe fetish I had for sure! lol

So, NOW to my 'Remember when....'

Who is old enough to remember coming home from school and changing into 'play clothes' and then dutifully hanging up your school clothes so they could be worn again and again between washings or cleanings? I made a number of skirts and jackets (usually lined) and Mom said I should hang them on a hanger (jacket on a hanger with clean wash cloths under the shoulders to prevent creasing) INSIDE OUT so the air could circulate. I remember having my wool suits cleaned only once a season.

My girls, by contrast, did not own any clothes that had to be dry cleaned. Everything they wore was tossed into the laundry basket, even if worn for short periods of time. There were times when they were not around that I just shook out the clothes and hung 'em up in their closet. It drove me crazy they wouldn't take care of their clothes as I did. Gee, maybe their mother didn't teach them correctly....

30"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dane is watching one of his old movies on TMC, something he does regularly now that he's "retired"...me, I'm just re-tired of hearing the same dialogue over and over again as he watches the same movies all the time...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It drove me crazy they wouldn't take care of their clothes as I did. Gee, maybe their mother didn't teach them correctly....

OMG.... Tina watches the TMC channel constantly...
I will watch one now and then too, but she tapes (records) them to watch them again.
This week she is hooked on Clark Gable movies. What I don't like, is when they colorize the films. Tina hates the old movies in color also. I told her to flick the color off on the remote control settings for the pic color. She couldn't be bothered she said.

School clothes came off too when we were kids. Mom would show us how to hold the cuffs, and line the legs up, and then those stupid wooden pants hangers that HAD WOOD CLAMPS THAT WOULD SQUEEZE the cuffs or pant bottoms.
If we wanted a special pants or shirt, we had to iron them ourselves.
It was no big deal, because the ironing board was up 24/7, because everything got ironed back then.
The first non wrinkle material, was that tricoline. The Hot plastic like shirts, that once they absorbed the underarm pit el-stinko from a puberty growin young lad.....you could never get the odor out.

It was Avon splash on mens deodorant to the rescue. Mom would splash a little on the shirt armpit, and hit it with the low temp iron to cook it in.
You wouldn't get caught dead with wrinkled clothes. Mom would make us re-iron the clothes, and while she said," What the Heck are people gonna think about your mother letting you out with disgusting wrinkled clothes!"
And in our thoughts we would say,"Who the Heck Gives a Flying Chit!" And god forbid you laughed or snickered..... Oh Boy!

I will say, Tina is a stickler for clothes being wrinkled.
My motto now, is "They are gonna wrinkle anyway soon as you put them on.

31"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:55 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Well, all I can say is Brian belongs to the same TMC club that Tina and Dane do! He watches that channel all the time -- and then watches the same movies over again. Now he's got TMC On Demand in the kitchen/dining room, so he pulls a movie up all the time. We have a standing joke, as we both know he's seen most of those movies dozens of time. About 10 years ago, he started saying, "I've never seen this one all the way through. Nothing but total BS, of course. So we use that line all the time.

As far as school clothes and ironing go, I went to both Catholic grammar school and high school. In grammar school, we wore white blouses and navy blue pleated skirts. Those pleats were a *itch to iron, I tell you. You bet I changed when I came home -- just to get out of the "prison" garb. High school uniform was a white blouse and a dark brown A-line skirt. At least they were a cinch to iron. The nuns decided we were wearing our school skirts too short, so the rule became your skirt could not be shorter than three inches above the crease in the back of your knee. Weird, huh? I guess peoples' knees were too different to measure from in the front! The skirts had a waistband with belt loops and we had to wear a belt about 1-1/2 inches wide. Well, you just rolled up the waistline first and then put the belt on top to make it shorter. Most nuns didn't give a darn about your skirt but would use it to hassel you if they wanted to.

We had clothes that had to be dry cleaned but once we were working (even just babysitting), we had to pay for it ourselves. I didn't mind as I just loved clothes. I sewed, too, but at that age, I didn't want anything "homemade." Go figure! My mom sewed for us especially if it was a party dress or a dress for a dance. Poor heart! She was an R.N. and used to work 5-1/2 days a week. Many a night I'd be up with her at 1:00 a.m. while she finished making a party dress for my sister. She'd also sew a little bag to match the dress if she had enough material left over. I never once heard her complain either.

It's funny, though, as when I was still working, I would change into more comfortable clothes when I got home. I never put a dress (or blouse and skirt, etc.) back in my jammed closet before hanging them up and letting them air out prior to putting them in the closet.

32"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:25 pm

NormM

NormM

I remember not being able to wear jeans in high school but not much more than that. I am sure I didn't wear school clothes outside of school. Once we were told that some special people were visiting the next day and should think about dressing extra nice. Three or four of us decided to wear some silly looking clothes and got sent home to change. I put on one of my dads ties. His ties were from the '30, were really wide and had some crazy abstract designs. I almost got in trouble again but they backed off with I told them it was my dads tie.

Several years ago, the principal in our school told us teachers that he could not tell us not to wear jeans but we better be really good teachers if we did. I thought that I was a really good teacher and i didn't even own a pair of jeans so as soon as school was out, I bought a pair of jeans. I wore them about once a week. From that time on I wore khaki colored jeans almost every day and no one noticed.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

33"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Count me in TCM fan here. I also like to watch ME-TV. PBS real big fan of that channel..I love the style of clothes & hair back then. Even the mens clothes.Suave.Classic.Only thing I do not like is to see everyone with that darn cigarette hanging from their mouth.

34"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:54 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

I am also a TCM fan!
I love classic movies. I guess I got it from my mom. Do you remember the afternoon movies on TV? Before soap operas.....

I remember coming home from school, my mom had the movies on so I watched them until the Mickey Mouse club came on! y mom had them on even before I was old enough to go to school.
I remember the Loretta Young Show......
also Shirley Temple had one (for kids, fairy tales).
I also remember the local kids shows: Rex Trailer (cowboy-local), Bozo, Major Mudd (astronaut), Romper Room (loved Miss Jean-magic mirror!!), and the ding dong school (she scared me) and of course Captain Kangaroo!! Also: Captain Bob on early Sunday Mornings who drew out of a sea shanty. He showed and explained drawings and the history of what he was sketching. It was mostly wildlife...
We also had another kids program at noon---Bob something or other--he was really mean.. I hated it. I was never a fan of Howdy Dowdy--I loved Shari Lewis and Lamp Chop!!!!

I fell in love with Cary Grant, at the early age of 6!!!

now TV stinks!!! "Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 2787578702

35"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:23 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

[quote="cookingirl"]I am also a TCM fan!
I love classic movies. I guess I got it from my mom. Do you remember the afternoon movies on TV? Before soap operas.....

I remember coming home from school, my mom had the movies on so I watched them until the Mickey Mouse club came on! y mom had them on even before I was old enough to go to school.
I remember the Loretta Young Show......
also Shirley Temple had one (for kids, fairy tales).
I also remember the local kids shows: Rex Trailer (cowboy-local), Bozo, Major Mudd (astronaut), Romper Room (loved Miss Jean-magic mirror!!), and the ding dong school (she scared me) and of course Captain Kangaroo!! Also: Captain Bob on early Sunday Mornings who drew out of a sea shanty. He showed and explained drawings and the history of what he was sketching. It was mostly wildlife...
We also had another kids program at noon---Bob something or other--he was really mean.. I hated it. I was never a fan of Howdy Dowdy--I loved Shari Lewis and Lamp Chop!!!!

I fell in love with Cary Grant, at the early age of 6!!!

Oh yes...all those bring back memories.
I could add... "Ronald Reagan Presents"...... All good stuff that we would be glued to the TV.
I remember (Only on Friday's and Saturdays ) at night, we were allowed to watch the late show movie....then they had the Late Late show, and if we made it to watch, the Late late late show.
After that, it was time for breakfast.

Tina liked shows such as "December Bride".... "Ann Southern Show"..... 'The FBI" with Effram Zimbalist Jr.

36"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:35 pm

NormM

NormM

I remember at 12 pm, some guy sang the Lord's Prayer and TV shut down for the night.  Came back on in the morning but before that, there was just the test pattern.   I remember watching the Mickey Mouse club before Annette joined, then every boy fell in love with her.  I remember Soapy Sales but not Rex Trailer.  Andy Devine had a kids show with Froggie who was kind of scary.

37"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I remember at 12 pm, some guy sang the Lord's Prayer and TV shut down for the night.  Came back on in the morning but before that, there was just the test pattern.   I remember watching the Mickey Mouse club before Annette joined, then every boy fell in love with her.  I remember Soapy Sales but not Rex Trailer.  Andy Devine had a kids show with Froggie who was kind of scary.

I remember when the TV stations had to broadcast their station FCC call sign. Then they played the National Anthem before signing off for the night.

Andy Divine was my favorite. Loved his raspy distinguished voice. Froggie too, and the black cat that played the fiddle.

Saturday was morning cartoons till about 10 30, and mom let us alone to watch....but as soon as they were ended....it was,"OK Boys...time for work!" Get outside Jimmy..."I want that Garage cleaned out, and all those old cans of paint and tires, take them down to the river in your wagon, and dump them in the river!"

Yep, and no one cared about the environment back then. "Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 1309145179 

38"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:55 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I remember at 12 pm, some guy sang the Lord's Prayer and TV shut down for the night.  Came back on in the morning but before that, there was just the test pattern.   I remember watching the Mickey Mouse club before Annette joined, then every boy fell in love with her.  I remember Soapy Sales but not Rex Trailer.  Andy Devine had a kids show with Froggie who was kind of scary.

I remember, "Pop your magic twanger, Froggie!" I'm a little young for that show but had an older sister and brother. I do remember the TV shutting down -- they used to play The Star Spangled Banner and have jets fly over while the song played.

39"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:11 pm

NormM

NormM

WDAF was the only station we could get at first and I remember they played the Lord's Prayer at the end of the day.

40"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

So who else got in trouble for not going to bed on time when Mom & Dad were out for the evening? All the folks had to do was touch the top of the console TV to see it was still way to warm to have been cooled off near our 'bed time'.....

Of course, we all were tucked into bed with our eyes tight shut when they entered the bedroom to check on us. Geesh, even with your eyes shut the overhead light was bright! LOL

41"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My mother used to have a thing for ironing clothes that was called a mangle. It had a padded roller that would move the fabric over a hot metal base. She used to do sheets, table cloths, napkins and some clothes on it. I believe Miele still makes one that is sold through Williams Sonoma.

42"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yup ~ the old mangle iron. Grandma ran t-shirts and boxer shorts through it.

43"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:02 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:WDAF was the only station we could get at first and I remember they played the Lord's Prayer at the end of the day.

Yeah! They were the good old days.
We had only one station when we got our first ( used ) TV in 1956.
WNBF-TV Cnannel 12 out of Binghamton, NY.

It was a UHF frequency channel, and we had a huge antenna on the chimney.
The picture was always snowy, and poor dad was always on the roof turning the antenna or checking the 300 ohm flat cable connections.

I remember the wires on side the house, with special stand offs to guide the wire. All hooked up to a lightening rod and arrestor.

Before the wire was hooked to the tv, mom had tin foil wrapped around the wire, and it was said it helped tune in for better reception.

Most people had what they called a TV Lamp. It sat on top the TV and Had to be lit so that your eye's wouldn't get radiation eye strain. LOL
And Brother and I were not allowed to watch TV without that darn TV Lamp turned on. Oh! ... and we had the black panther statue with the green glass eye's. That was a TV Room Icon, and I don't know what the heck ever started that. I guess it was a good luck statue to bless the TV and keep it in good working order??

I have the panther from moms, but Tina won't let me set it over the TV. Bummer.

44"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:19 am

NormM

NormM

I remember some people had a huge magnifying glass on a stand in front of the TV to make the picture look bigger.

45"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:36 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I went to 9 different schools from kindergarten to 12 grade and I think I missed half of my school days due to illness. My education was really bad. I went to some Catholic schools and had to wear uniforms. Public schools never allowed us to wear pants or jeans to school until my last 2 years of high school. Even then I never wore them because I could never find them small enough to fit. I liked wearing uniforms because I never had to think about what I was going to wear. My sister married a Jewish man and they raised their kids as Jews. They went to Jewish schools that were very conservative. The girls had to wear skirts that came down to mid-calf and the boys were separated from the girls.

My DH and I only watch TCM but don't do much of that any more because we have seen most of what they air. I own about 2500 classic films myself. The biggest thing we have noticed between the classics and modern films is that with modern films, you only want to see them once. Many classic films I can and do watch over and over.

When our TV went off the air at night, the station always ended with a poem (Longfellow?) that starts off like "Oh, I have slipped the surly bounds of earth and captured the skies on -----wings" or something like that. Then the test pattern with that infernal ringing sound.

After school we would watch Sea Hunt and then the Early Show movies if we weren't outside playing. Saturdays were War Zone, Chiller, Strange Tales of Science Fiction, The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone. I recall watching The Millionaire, Bachelor Father, December Bride, I Married Joan, Mr. Ed, The Real McCoys, The Loretta Young Show. We loved Dragnet, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The FBI, The Munsters, The Addams Family, The Monkeys. Then there were the music shows: Hullabaloo, Shindig, Soul Train. I couldn't stand Get Smart, Laugh-In, Batman.

46"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:04 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Bugster, I fondly remember those shows also! They were the ones that I watched. Like you, I was never a fan of Get Smart, Laugh-In, and Batman....
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea...Star Trek, The Monkees...
Oh I was so bad and my dad was such a good man/dad. When the Monkees came to Boston I begged my dad to take me and a couple of my friends to the Boston Garden so we could see them. That meant subway trip into The Garden at night...My poor father had to endure all the screaming girls. We had floor seats not far from the stage... I still remember it to this day! Standing on chairs, singing, screaming.. Wow..
My dad was so good.. all he did was shake his head and laugh at us, even at home after the concert. His hearing was out of whack for a day because of the volume of noise.......
But he really enjoyed watching us have such a good time and glad to have been a huge part of it.....

47"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:37 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I forgot to mention Star Trek! I own all of the episodes. Still a fan today.

Lately we have been watching everything we can get our hands on about Woodstock and music themed movies dealing with that era. It has been a wonderful trip down memory lane.
We have seen:
Taking Woodstock
Woodstock
Monterey Pop
Almost Famous
FM
Pirate Radio
The Doors
The Song Remains the Same
Let's Spend the Night Together
CBGB
American Hot Wax
American Graffiti
Rock and Roll High School
Not Fade Away
Woodstock: Then and Now
I forget the title but it was about the Stones Brian Jones mysterious drowning which actually turned out to be murder
Vintage concert footage from Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Stones, Iron Butterfly, Janis Joplin, Steppenwolf, Cream

Those were the days when you actually had to have talent. Not the computer generated singers and rappers that pollute the airways today. Back then you had talent and skill, dealt with sleazy and not so sleazy record companies, were self made. Today it is the bankers that determine who is going to be called a star, not the people. Most singers are marginal at best. You don't have to sing, just scream, with the grunge bands. And rap? Even Don Cornelius (the host of Soul Train) quit his show because he didn't think it was music anymore.

Oh! I love seeing the clothes! The peasant tops, the tie dye. The hair! The pants the men wore! I can honestly say that everything I ever wanted to know about the male anatomy, I learned from Robert Plant. His pants were just spray painted on. Being in a girl's Catholic school when he first appeared, I can honestly say it was scandalous, much to our teenage delight. LOL!

48"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:07 pm

NormM

NormM

That poem is titled High Flight. It was written by John Gillespie Magee, Jr. a RAF pilot who was killed in an air crash at age 19 in 1941.

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -
and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of -
wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.
Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along
and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.
"Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
the high untrespassed sanctity of space,
put out my hand and touched the face of God."

49"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:17 pm

NormM

NormM

I was overseas in the Army in 1967, 68 and part of 69 and missed out on some of Laugh-in and The Smothers Brothers. When I got back, Laugh-in was too fast paced for me at first. I missed a lot of the humor because the punch line came and went so fast. It was the beginning of faster paced TV in general. Who would have even registered commercial images that last half a second back in the early 60's?

50"Do YOU Remember ?" - Page 2 Empty Re: "Do YOU Remember ?" Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:15 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I went to 9 different schools from kindergarten to 12 grade and I think I missed half of my school days due to illness. My education was really bad. I went to some Catholic schools and had to wear uniforms. Public schools never allowed us to wear pants or jeans to school until my last 2 years of high school. Even then I never wore them because I could never find them small enough to fit. I liked wearing uniforms because I never had to think about what I was going to wear. My sister married a Jewish man and they raised their kids as Jews. They went to Jewish schools that were very conservative. The girls had to wear skirts that came down to mid-calf and the boys were separated from the girls.

My DH and I only watch TCM but don't do much of that any more because we have seen most of what they air. I own about 2500 classic films myself. The biggest thing we have noticed between the classics and modern films is that with modern films, you only want to see them once. Many classic films I can and do watch over and over.

When our TV went off the air at night, the station always ended with a poem (Longfellow?) that starts off like "Oh, I have slipped the surly bounds of earth and captured the skies on -----wings" or something like that. Then the test pattern with that infernal ringing sound.

After school we would watch Sea Hunt and then the Early Show movies if we weren't outside playing. Saturdays were War Zone, Chiller, Strange Tales of Science Fiction, The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone. I recall watching The Millionaire, Bachelor Father, December Bride, I Married Joan, Mr. Ed, The Real McCoys, The Loretta Young Show. We loved Dragnet, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The FBI, The Munsters, The Addams Family, The Monkeys. Then there were the music shows: Hullabaloo, Shindig, Soul Train. I couldn't stand Get Smart, Laugh-In, Batman.

The way the kids dress today, I would think uniforms would be a plus. The kids (and parents) have too much to say. Uniforms is a start to Order.
The teachers have No Say in the classrooms today.

These kids cannot learn respect in the schools. They act like a bunch of infants.
When I went to school, it was a known fact that if you did something wrong, the teacher had authority to punish us. That put us in our place, and made better students out of the majority of us.

I was watching TCM yesterday, and the movie was great; with Garbo and Edward G.Robinson.....
What I like about the older films, is there is a minimum of Music subbed into the scene's. When I want to see a real life acting scene, I don't want to hear drums and thumping with doing doing doing ta ta ta ta ta sounds in the background.
It is NOT There in real life situations.

The movies of today Need that musical drama inviting screeching musical repetition to emphasize the climax of the scenes. Ridiculous .

When Tina and I are here with the kids, and we are conversing....there is no silly Music playing in the background.

Oh! Topper (the movie) was on the other night, and I enjoyed that.

I remember when dad would be watching the late show, the darn eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee would be squealing with the test pattern...and he would be snoring away. Mom would sneak downstairs, and shut the TV off. Dad would say...." Leave it on ,,, I was just falling asleep!"
Mom would give him a dirty look, and say,"Yeah and in the meantime, me and the kids are waking up from that squealing chit ! !"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum