Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Creme Brulee for the Cookout

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Creme Brulee for the Cookout Empty Creme Brulee for the Cookout Thu May 16, 2013 10:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I told Lyn I'd bring Creme Brulee for the cookout tomorrow. One of the guests is Gluten Free so it's one dessert he's allowed to eat.

I should have let the custard sit to settle before I poured it into my little dematasse cups because I ended up with foam toppings. But, hey, I bet they taste just fine and will hardly be noticed after I sprinkle with sugar and fire 'em up to caramalize the sugar topping!

Creme Brulee for the Cookout CremeBrulee

2Creme Brulee for the Cookout Empty Re: Creme Brulee for the Cookout Sat May 18, 2013 4:54 am

LisaSD

LisaSD

Which recipe book did you pull the creme brulee recipe out of?

3Creme Brulee for the Cookout Empty Re: Creme Brulee for the Cookout Sat May 18, 2013 6:06 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I make it the same as my baked custard recipe, been making it for years...

1 qt. half & half (or part heavy cream)
3/4 c. sugar
6 egg yolks
pinch salt
1 tsp. vanilla
vanilla beans (if available)

Heat the half & half until hot, not boiling. Mix sugar, salt and egg yolks together. Slowly add hot milk, starting with 1 c. added while mixing on low. When all milk is incorporated add vanilla & scrape in vanilla beans.

Bake in water bath at 325° for 35-45 minutes, depending upon size of ramekins. Chill.

When I want it special for company is when I use part heavy whipping cream. So that's what I did yesterday.

Oh, and I mix white and brown sugar to brulee on top - I think it makes a nicer crust.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum