Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thrift Store Treasures

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Thrift Store Treasures Empty Thrift Store Treasures Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

This afternoon I was putzin' around town and decided to stop at one of the many thrift/consignment stores in the area. I love seeing if I can come across a bargain. Today there was a sign on the front door that everything was 20% off ~ can't go wrong if it's on sale, can you?

Of course, the first area I look for is the cooking equipment. Today I picked up this Wilton 6" springform pan and two tiny tart pans, $1 for the springform pan and $.50 each for the tart pans....I spent a total of $1.60 + tax for items I will use.

Yea for ME !!

Thrift Store Treasures ThriftStoreTreasures

2Thrift Store Treasures Empty Re: Thrift Store Treasures Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:24 pm

JanaAZ

Awesome. I love the little springform pan. I have about 7 or 8 pans but none that side.

3Thrift Store Treasures Empty Re: Thrift Store Treasures Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm not a huge cheesecake fan but Dane loves it. I thought it would be a perfect size to use to make a cheesecake for him without having to toss 90% of a big springform pan full.

And I just happen to have in my mind to make a savory cheesecake (which I DO like) to serve with drinks or take to a potluck. I had a taste of one made with a potato chip crust and filled with lots of fresh herbs ~ crackers served along side to schmear it on. It was delicious.

So, now that I have the perfect size pan, I can really start to research some recipes.

4Thrift Store Treasures Empty Re: Thrift Store Treasures Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:05 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I recently remarked on this site that the recipe called for a 6" springform pan that I didn't have. How neat you found those for such a good price. But I hate to shop so I'd probably never go in that shop though you guys do remark a lot about finding neat and cheap things at thrift stores. I know we have them but since I don't shop, I have no clue where they are...

5Thrift Store Treasures Empty Re: Thrift Store Treasures Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ah, but you see, I have much more time than I do $$

it's just entertainment for me. If I have nothing to do it's a fun thing to go and check out. I don't buy every time, and only for something I know I will use. Of course, once in a while I get something and find out why it was donated in the first place - PITA to use or clean. Then I just re-donate it back the next time I go. The charity gets to re-sell it and someone else gets the thrill of the cheap purchase ~ win / win !

6Thrift Store Treasures Empty Re: Thrift Store Treasures Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

They should have a store called, "What I Got for Christmas and Have No Use For." I'll bet the store would have tons of kitchen stuff that people have no use for.

7Thrift Store Treasures Empty Re: Thrift Store Treasures Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:58 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

They always have tons of glassware and dishes, odds & ends of silverware & utensils. And some stuff that is barely used. I've seen a lot of ice cream makers and seldom used items. I imagine there are people who use something once or twice and then decide it's easier to purchase already made foods rather than give up the storage real estate in their cupboards.

One of my very favorite treasures was the pink & white demitasse cups I've used for crème brulee - I think I have a pic.....

Thrift Store Treasures CremeBrulee

Those little cups & saucers were $1 each and are perfect for desserts.

8Thrift Store Treasures Empty Re: Thrift Store Treasures Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:14 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

They're darling, Beth!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum