Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Food hoarders

+4
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
NormM
Bugster2
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Food hoarders Empty Food hoarders Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made the mistake of watching an episode of "Food Hoarders". I started feeling anxious and had to get up and check the dates on all of my food. I was surprised to find quite a few items that were past their prime, so I tossed them. That led to a clean-out of my other cupboards which in turn caused me to tackle the master closet. A domino effect. I next tackled the outside sheds full of kitchen stuff. I still don't know if I should get rid of the meat slicer. It doesn't cut as thin as I like and is a PITA to clean. If I want a slicing blade that cuts thinner slices I have to shell out $50.00. I also have a Ninja blender I never use. I have a large container of kitchen tools, decor and things that I can't seem to get rid of. I also have a 12 or 16qt stockpot. I have a super large bowl, KA pasta maker, an ice cream machine, a deep fryer, a pressure cooker, slow cooker combo, two griddles, 2 broiler pans, a few cookie sheets, a lasagna pan, a hamburger bun pan, a few pieces of Tupperware. I just don't know if I should get rid of some of the stuff. I keep thinking that I might need one of those things and be mad that I got rid of it.

2Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:14 pm

NormM

NormM

Once when I moved, I put all the kitchen stuff in the garage. When I needed something I'd bring it in and put it away in the kitchen.  I thought that I'd sell everything still out there after a year but I didn't. Two years later I was still going out to the garage to get something or other.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

3Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:19 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We could afford some cleaning out of kitchen stuff.
Tina has casserole dishes and pans all the same size. Stoneware / porcelain / metal / blue glass / clear / Corning ware / etc. We could give it to Salvation Army or Lupus.

I counted 6 whisks in the kitchen utensil drawer....2 in the jar next to the stove, and three brand new ones in the closet pantry.

Canned and boxed food items? I don't even want to go there! LOL

4Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:56 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Once when I moved, I put all the kitchen stuff in the garage. When I needed something I'd bring it in and put it away in the kitchen.  I thought that I'd sell everything still out there after a year but I didn't. Two years later I was still going out to the garage to get something or other.
I literally laughed out loud when I read this, Norm! I think we're all more alike than we realize!

5Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:58 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I, too, have a difficult time deciding on what to keep and what to get rid of. I did purge out all the old discolored/rusty baking sheets & pans when I packed up to move, as well as a bunch of mis-matched pots & pans that had seen better days.

I was fortunate in that most of the smaller stuff, still useful but duplicates, got snatched up by our two girls. I think it's much easier to get rid of kitchen stuff if you know they are going to go to someone who can use them......gawd, that sounds like I'm adopting out puppies or kittens, doesn't it?

Well, we love our stuff. I guess we just want it to go to a good home!

6Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:33 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

If I had a garage I would be a hoarder in training. Food hoarders 2855670339 

7Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:34 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

My dream house would have a large walk-in pantry for all my stuff. A friend of mine has a 20 foot long pantry. What is so sad is that she doesn't cook and uses most of the space for storage of other things.

8Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

When we bought the first house, hahahah...I built shelves in the cellar...not a finished basement, but a cellar! There were shelves 14 inches deep and up to the ceiling 50 feet total length. Tina had the shelves packedwith food. Maybe 8 to 10 feet was pots and junk stuff.
Neighbors would see that, and say, Darn it Tina, where is your Cash Register??? "You have a built in store downstairs here!" ..... And the shame of it, is we have no pictures of it!

I even installed a laundry chute for Tina. That was Neat.
When Jim Jr. was little, he would throw his toys down the chute! .... It was a small ranch house, and I had it all remodeled to have space wherever I could build it in.

9Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Grandma's houses (both I lived in part-time) had clothes chutes.

Amazing what little ears can hear just by standing at the bathroom chute with the little door open......

hahahahaha ~ sneaky little kid, I was!

10Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina wanted to know if I could build a Garbage Chute! .... I said NO, because I will wind up being the Building Janitor emptying the bin into the cans.
I could just see that. All kinds of animals climbing up the chute, and flies and bugs! No Thank You!

11Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

[quote="UNCLE JIMMY"]When we bought the first house, hahahah...I built shelves in the cellar...not a finished basement, but a cellar! There were shelves 14 inches deep and up to the ceiling 50 feet total length. Tina had the shelves  packedwith food. Maybe 8 to 10 feet was pots and junk stuff.
Neighbors would see that, and say, Darn it Tina, where is your Cash Register??? "You have a built in store downstairs here!" ..... And the shame of it, is we have no pictures of it!

When Jim Jr. was little, he would throw his toys down the chute! .... It was a small ranch house, and I had it all remodeled to have space wherever I could build it in.

[/quote

We had a laundry chute in one house we lived in. I used to slide down the chute.

12Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:When we bought the first house, hahahah...I built shelves in the cellar...not a finished basement, but a cellar! There were shelves 14 inches deep and up to the ceiling 50 feet total length. Tina had the shelves  packedwith food. Maybe 8 to 10 feet was pots and junk stuff.

[/quote

We had a laundry chute in one house we lived in. I used to slide down the chute.
OMG... that's so funny Bugster...hahahahahahahaa

13Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I, too, have a difficult time deciding on what to keep and what to get rid of.  I did purge out all the old discolored/rusty baking sheets & pans when I packed up to move, as well as a bunch of mis-matched pots & pans that had seen better days.

I was fortunate in that most of the smaller stuff, still useful but duplicates, got snatched up by our two girls.  I think it's much easier to get rid of kitchen stuff if you know they are going to go to someone who can use them......gawd, that sounds like I'm adopting out puppies or kittens, doesn't it?

Well, we love our stuff.  I guess we just want it to go to a good home!
I had to laugh at your puppies/kittens remark, B.  I think it gets easier as you get older to get rid of stuff -- at least it seems that way with most people.  When I open a cabinet that's stuffed with "stuff," I often think about how little of that stuff I use regularly yet I allow it to take up valuable real estate.  I've been wanting to take everything down from our huge pot rack for cleaning (gets dusty up there) and rearranging.  I know there's some pots on there that I haven't used in 15 years so I'm already going through the mental process of getting rid of them.  (After all, it's the things you don't use regularly that gather the darn dust!) But like you, it's harder with the kitchen stuff!  Embarassed

14Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Good luck with that.

If it had not been for the move here I would still be hanging on to all my precious "stuff".....I loved it all!

lol

15Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Good luck with that.

If it had not been for the move here I would still be hanging on to all my precious "stuff".....I loved it all!

lol
Wouldn't it be something, if some of your precious stuff made it to the Villages somewhere at a garage sale; or in a second hand shop / store.

I know one thing. I can pick out a pan that originally belonged here from a pile of kitchen stuff easily!....
Wouldn't that be funny...?????

My mom had a colander that the handle broke off. The rivets pulled through!

Dad made a handle for it with copper wires and then soldered the wires all together. That thing lasted for like 30 years like that.
When Mom died, my brother took it, and I said,"Rich...You throw that out, and mom will haunt you with her spirit!"

He used it to strain lumps out of the paint, but he made darn well sure he didn't throw it out! LOL

16Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Wouldn't it be something, if some of your precious stuff made it to the Villages somewhere at a garage sale; or in a second hand shop / store.
That would be hilarious, Jimmy! Especially in Beth's case since she had the big sale. It made me laugh so much thinking of it that it would be good to write it into a sitcom show. What would be even funnier is if Beth saw one of her things and bought it back!!! I swear, I cannot stop giggling over this.

Loved the story about your mom's colander, too!

17Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:Wouldn't it be something, if some of your precious stuff made it to the Villages somewhere at a garage sale; or in a second hand shop / store.
That would be hilarious, Jimmy!  Especially in Beth's case since she had the big sale.  It made me laugh so much thinking of it that it would be good to write it into a sitcom show.  What would be even funnier is if Beth saw one of her things and bought it back!!!  I swear, I cannot stop giggling over this.  

Loved the story about your mom's colander, too!  
Yeah! I was laughing too thinking about it!

I referred my thoughts to a "I Love Lucy" episode; when Lucy sold her furniture and the deal on the New furniture faltered, and She and Ricky had to buy the old furniture back from the salesman for much more money than Lucy sold it for! That cracked Tina and me up laughing!

18Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:37 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well I don't think it's funny....

Long, LONG ago (when we were first married and Dane was serving in Viet Nam) I had a cat. Tinkerbell. Meanest cat I've ever owned. But she wasn't so mean she didn't sneak out of the house and get herself in a "family way"....She ended up with 4 kittens and our apartment was tiny. It was fine when the kittens were babies but they don't stay that way.

Long story short ~ I couldn't find homes for them so I took them to a pet store in a nearby mall and gave them up for adoption. Three of the four were purchased, one just got big. No one was going to buy a big cat when they could buy an adorable kitten.....so I ended up buying back MY cat and I walked around the mall for 4 hours with that dumb cat until I found a couple who lived on a farm and they said they would take my cat and give him a good home.

Tinkerbell was spayed after that litter so I never had to go through the trauma again.

19Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:40 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We just had a little pet trauma this AM.

Tina made friends with a feral kitten, and fed it outside for 3 months. She felt sorry for her, and finally got her to eat inside in the laundry room.
Well Push came to shove, and Tina adopted the kitty. "Dolly" we took last week or so to the vets at 5 months to get spayed. $226.00 with a coupon and shots etc. The fecal test showed parasites in the intestine. That meant another 40.00 for meds....but that warranted us to bring the other two adult 8 year old cats in for testing and shots. That was just $260.00

So....I told Tina...there goes your new washer machine. $526.00 on the animals. LOL...
I am treating my scratches now from trying to get them in the pet carriers.
What a fiasco this AM .

Now there is a pretty black cat that comes around, but I gave specific orders to NOT FEED it Special. If it eats food we throw to the animals in the feeding pit, then so be it.

It Never Ends! LOL

20Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:43 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I no longer have any problem ignoring the strays.

If they look healthy, they belong to someone and they will return home.

If they look sick, well, they'll either make it or not ~ but no more $$ out of my pocket.

I may sound mean but there's only so much you can take care of.

21Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I no longer have any problem ignoring the strays.

If they look healthy, they belong to someone and they will return home.

If they look sick, well, they'll either make it or not ~ but no more $$ out of my pocket.

I may sound mean but there's only so much you can take care of.
That's exactly what I say!
If they look chubby and in good health, then they are someone elses, or nature is taking good care of them.

22Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:53 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

We don't have a problm with strays around here. They get eaten by coyotes if they run loose. My sister lost her cat to a coyote a few months ago and she lives right on the waterfront. Coyotes are a terrible problem out here. Last week a man was out walking and got attacked by three coyotes. He was lucky, mostly scratches, but i think he still has to have the rabies treatment.

23Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:59 am

JanaAZ

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:We just had a little pet trauma this AM.

Tina made friends with a feral kitten, and fed it outside for 3 months. She felt sorry for her, and finally got her to eat inside in the laundry room.
Well Push came to shove, and Tina adopted the kitty. "Dolly" we took last week or so to the vets at 5 months to get spayed. $226.00 with a coupon and shots etc. The fecal test showed parasites in the intestine. That meant another 40.00 for meds....but that warranted us to bring the other two adult 8 year old cats in for testing and shots. That was just $260.00

So....I told Tina...there goes your new washer machine. $526.00 on the animals. LOL...
I am treating my scratches now from trying to get them in the pet carriers.
What a fiasco this AM .

Now there is a pretty black cat that comes around, but I gave specific orders to NOT FEED it Special. If it eats food we throw to the animals in the feeding pit, then so be it.

It Never Ends! LOL
Last summer we had a really cute cat that started hanging around our house in the mountains. I don't know why it picked our house. I don't like cats, I didn't feed it, I yelled at it, I threw water at it...and it stayed. DH went out and tried to move it and the pretty cat snarled at him. After some research we found that this pretty cat was a feral cat. Animal control told us NOT to touch it.

We bought a trap and tried to trap it so we could move it. That darn thing never went into the trap and finally left our house.

Maybe it would have liked Tina better.

24Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:37 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Almost all of our cats have "found" us. The best cat we ever had, Fred, who we had for 15 years, died last Friday. I still cry every time I think of him. He had what we think was a stroke Thursday evening so we held him for about 6 hours assuming he was dying. Neither of us wanted to put him thru the trauma of a ride to the emergency clinic. We agreed if he was still alive the next morning, we'd take him to get put down.

I folded up a comforter about 1 a.m. on Friday and brought Fred upstairs so he could sleep one last time between us. His breathing was shallow but he hung on. Brian said he'd wake up in the night and I was sleeping with my hand on Fred, which made me glad, as that's what I wanted.

The next morning, Friday, I couldn't make myself leave the bed or Fred. I just lay there petting him. Then I felt his little pads and they were cold. I figured he was letting go and I didn't want him to suffer -- neither did Brian. After sobbing for 90 minutes while I said goodbye, I brought him downstairs. We didn't have the heart to put him in the carrier (he hates it) so I carried him out to the car on that folded up comforter. Brian brought him to the vet -- a first for him as I usually get that job.

Poor us, as we loved that cat dearly. We called him our dog, as he acted more like a dog than a cat. But I'm sure he knew we were there and we had an extra 17 or so hours with him with us holding him and talking to him before he had to be put down. I feel so bad for Brian 'cause I sob over that cat several times a day. Our other cat, Lola, is lonely and I'm sure is confused. Once I stop crying, we'll go to the shelter and get an older fixed male, who I hope Lola will get along with (she's afraid of everybody and everything except me, Brian and Fred). But I just keep hoping one just shows up in the yard, which is what usually happens.

It's so sad to lose a treasured pet. Both of our eyes are all swollen from crying, though we look a hell of a lot better today than last Friday. He had such an outgoing personality that it's hard to get through a day without seeing him.

25Food hoarders Empty Re: Food hoarders Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:55 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am so sorry for your loss. I have been there many times. Since I have been married all of the cats we have prefer my DH over me except my last cat who prefered me over my DH. We lost him ten years ago and I still miss him. I swore I would never get another cat again because it is just too painful to lose them. But here I am with two more cats.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum