Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kona Coffee

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Kona Coffee Empty Kona Coffee Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:07 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Kona Coffee 2363720550  Kona Coffee 411572088  Kona Coffee 574689230 

had to dump it out & make a fresh pot with 8-OC.

2Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:11 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

As you know, I'm not a big coffee fan, although I drink many cups every morning. I stick with very mild store brand "breakfast blend" types on the weak side. Never cared for a strong brew of any kind.

3Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:52 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

it is not black strong coffee.Supposed to be one of the best coffee you can buy.
I opened the bag & it stunk..affraid I almost did not make the pot.

I wrapped it up threw it in the freezer.DD will get it .Heck she even drank that Kirkland 'supposed to be wonderful roast' the best coffee.affraid aka Starbucks..affraid 

I am back to my eight o clock. Mild ,tastes great coffee.cheers 

4Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:28 am

NormM

NormM

I like mild to medium coffee too. I like Kona blend coffee too. I first had Kona -not a blend- in Hawaii and it was really good. Maybe you got a bad blend. Kona coffee, not blended is over $50.00 a pound. It was that high several years ago. I presume it is as much or more now.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

5Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:09 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I looked at the bag. Organic Kona blend.

6Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:18 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think 90% of the taste of coffee is the water.

If you don't like drinking the water straight from the tap you're not going to like coffee or tea made with it.

The NW Ohio water we have in Ohio is some of the best tasting water IMO. Comes from Lake Erie.

7Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:59 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

We're the exact opposite of you guys -- we make our coffee very strong. And like lots of people in Louisiana, we use coffee and chicory. Delish! Our mantra is if you can see through the coffee to the bottom of the cup, it just ain't coffee!

8Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:We're the exact opposite of you guys -- we make our coffee very strong.  And like lots of people in Louisiana, we use coffee and chicory.  Delish!  Our mantra is if you can see through the coffee to the bottom of the cup, it just ain't coffee!  
yup - you like it to hold the spoon upright.....Kona Coffee 2876911673 

9Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:00 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Just about, especially to others, I guess. But I've got to tell you that we've made a lot of converts who've had coffee with us. We also insist that you try our coffee with canned milk and sugar -- we also allow Half & Half if the evaporated milk is to rich for you. Mmm!

10Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:10 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

New Orleans was the only place I could stand the cream & sugar in my coffee. It's strong wherever you go there. Of course, we had to go to the outside place that serve the beinets (sp?) with the powdered sugar that coats everyone and everything. But they were good. Who'd a thunk a simple piece of fried dough could be so very tasty?

Someday I'd like to return to have some more of the fabulous cuisine. And it might be a little easier to do since we could drive there from here. And with a Garmin to guide us we'll be sure to find some of the lesser known places I've heard about and want to visit.

11Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:19 am

NormM

NormM

When I was younger I bought a coffee from Louisiana and it had chicory in it. Safeway also had a whole bean coffee in cans instead of in bags.  It went whoosh when first opened and the first cup actually had a little carbonation to it.  I liked them both but neither are available where I shop anymore. I have tried a whole bean Kona blend from Marshall's that is good but I can't say it is any better than Peet's which I usually get now.

Last edited by NormM on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

12Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:20 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

New Orleans was the only place I could stand the cream & sugar in my coffee. It's strong wherever you go there. Of course, we had to go to the outside place that serve the beinets (sp?) with the powdered sugar that coats everyone and everything. But they were good. Who'd a thunk a simple piece of fried dough could be so very tasty?
Cafe du Monde is the place.  And yes, beignets are indeed delicious, especially since they serve them really hot.    

Someday I'd like to return to have some more of the fabulous cuisine. And it might be a little easier to do since we could drive there from here. And with a Garmin to guide us we'll be sure to find some of the lesser known places I've heard about and want to visit.
We do have great food here -- even in the dumpiest looking place, you can get great food -- everything down to the best roast beef poboy you've ever had in your life.

Last edited by Crybaby on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

13Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:24 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:When I was younger I bought a coffee from Louisiana and it had chicory in it. Safeway also had a whole bean coffee in cans instead of in bags.  It went whoosh when first opened and the first cup actually had a little carbonation to it.  I liked them both but neither are available where I shop anymore.
We use Community Coffee's New Orleans Blend -- it's a dark roast but they also sell medium roast coffee, too. Their website ships coffee all over the world.

Whenever we travel, Brian mentions our coffee to me every day and it's the first thing he wants when we get home. We even took some with us when we rented a staffed villa in Jamaica -- the poor butler looked crushed that we wanted that instead of Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee. Once we told them how strong we liked it, we enjoyed the Blue Mountain instead of our own stuff.

14Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:26 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, if and when we have an opportunity to get there, I will be sure to contact you so you and Brian can be our official "pointer-of-the-best-places". And after going to Café du Monde once, way back in the 1980's, I wouldn't need to return - but Dane would want to go back for sure.

Now, Commander's Palace second time around.....that's an entirely different story for me. But, without Emeril, would it really be the same?

15Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:56 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Now, Commander's Palace second time around.....that's an entirely different story for me.  But, without Emeril, would it really be the same?  
Commander's is a lot better than Emeril's, trust me. A lot of people here think Emeril's is a tad overrated and is pricier than need be. I'd pick Commander's 10 times over Emeril's. The current executive chef at Commander's is Tory McPhail, who is the 2013 James Beard Foundation Awards Best Chef: South.

And really, Commander's put Emeril on the map, not the other way around. Don't forget that Emeril followed Paul Prudhomme as executive chef at Commander's...

16Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, that's what I meant. I think Emeril was the executive chef at Commander's when I was there in the 1980's - before he was "EMERIL". The food and service was amazing, although I don't remember what we ate....a soup and something shrimp, but I couldn't tell you what it was anymore. But I do remember Eileen and I noting how good our lunches were - and I do know we shared a Chocolate Mousse for dessert with coffee.

We had walked to the old cemetery across the street from the restaurant and just happened upon it - hadn't really had a plan to go there. But I recognized the name from a television program I had seen (this was BEFORE Food Network so it was most probably a PBS special on the city) and that's how we got to have lunch there. We didn't have reservations but got in - that probably wouldn't happen today.

17Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:46 pm

JanaAZ

I ate at one of Emeril's restaurants in Vegas and was very disappointed. Overpriced, over rated, and the food was just so-so.

As far as my coffee....I go into Starbucks and ask which is their strongest brew. I order it black with NO room for cream..

18Kona Coffee Empty Re: Kona Coffee Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:49 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Yes, that's what I meant. I think Emeril was the executive chef at Commander's when I was there in the 1980's - before he was "EMERIL". The food and service was amazing, although I don't remember what we ate....a soup and something shrimp, but I couldn't tell you what it was anymore. But I do remember Eileen and I noting how good our lunches were - and I do know we shared a Chocolate Mousse for dessert with coffee.
The food and service are still exemplary at Commander's, one as good as the other. Didn't start with Emeril nor did it end when he left. He did leave on good terms with the Brennan's, which was unusual at the time, though.

We had walked to the old cemetery across the street from the restaurant and just happened upon it - hadn't really had a plan to go there. But I recognized the name from a television program I had seen (this was BEFORE Food Network so it was most probably a PBS special on the city) and that's how we got to have lunch there. We didn't have reservations but got in - that probably wouldn't happen today.
It's such a huge restaurant that lunch is usually not only available to walk-ins but also a lot more reasonably priced than dinner, though the menu is smaller, of course. But dinner is a lot more of an "occasion" there than lunch (and I like to have more of a selection). If you or anyone else goes, make reservations and ask for the Garden Room -- it's a glassed in room lookiing out into the trees, so it's not only pretty but it almost feels as if you're in a treehouse.

Also, to get to the bar at Commander's, you walk though the kitchen, which is always fun. It's a stand-up bar and when looking at the bartender, you're looking thru a glass wall into the kitchen. I just love that. So I always recommend having a cocktail in the bar before proceeding to your table. Plus there's a gorgeous patio with tables and chairs adjacent to the bar and also some pretty grounds to walk around a bit if you're game. When the weather is pleasant, they serve outside. This is usually in April and October only around here.

Another thing true about most larger food cities which is also true about New Orleans, if you don't have a reservation and you have a $20 bill when you speak to the host, you can usually get a table after a short wait in the bar. Just fold it in your hand, shake hands with the host and tell them politely how much you'd like to have dinner there but are without a reservation. Works all the time for us, even on Super Bowl weekend.

I ate at one of Emeril's restaurants in Vegas and was very disappointed. Overpriced, over rated, and the food was just so-so.
I've eaten at Emeril's about 5 times and though the food was good, the service was not what we're used to (we have EXCELLENT service as a rule in N.O.) and it always seems to be overpriced. During lunch, there are a lot of locals but it seems it's very popular with visitors or locals taking out business associates who really want to go there. I doubt most New Orleanians would put Emeril's in their top 5, or maybe even 10, restaurants in N.O. It's not terrible service but not the top notch service you'd expect when paying those prices.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum