Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Breakfast for September.

+3
bethk
thesweetestpea
Barbara101
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Breakfast for September. Empty Breakfast for September. Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:04 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Breakfast for September. 63c9db080aa22e405cc0899f06932a7f

veggie drawer Frittata.

2Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:20 am

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Yesterday, we had Bob's Red Mill 5 grain hot cereal with a little sugar and half & half.   Today I had an egg/cheese sandwich on Vermont Cheddar Bread (from bread machine) and sliced tomatoes from my garden. Lot of the time I have yogurt and coffee or a muffin and cottage cheese.

3Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:14 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to make a vegetable omelette for my breakfast - not really inventive, but enough protein to carry me through the morning and beyond....

Breakfast for September. 092013brkfst

4Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

breakfast meals look good, B and B Wink 

I still have a lot of milk and eggs in my fridge, I know my DH won't use or cook with them while I'm gone (starting next week).. so I'm thinking to make some quiche ( salmon or tuna) and custard pie... is quiche good for supper meal, and what's good to match with it?

5Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Quiche is EXCELLENT for supper.  Pair it with a nice salad and (in my case) some crusty bread.

OR......just some crusty bread all by itself.

well, crusty bread and lots of butter.....

Oh, heck, I think I'm craving carbs!

But, seriously, quiche is a perfect supper dish.  And it's something you can use the bits of this and that left in the refrigerator that need to be used up.

6Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:43 pm

NormM

NormM

This talk is making me hungry for some prairie puffs. I think they are called other things Maine Pancakes or Dutch Baby in parts of the country.

PRAIRIE PUFF WITH SEASONAL FRUIT

2 Tbs. Butter
3 eggs
2/3 C. milk
2/3 C. flour
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. Almond flavor

Put 2 Tbs. Butter in cast iron or oven proof skillet. Put skillet in over and preheat to 425 degrees.

Meanwhile, place eggs in processor and process for about 5 seconds. Add milk and process for another 5 to 10 seconds. Add the flour to the eggs and milk mixture and process for about 15 seconds. Next add a pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp. Almond flavor.

When oven is heated, pour batter into skillet and bake for 20 minutes.

For summer months, offer fresh berries, melons and other summer fruit mixed with sugar.

In winter months peel and slice apples. Sauté the apples in butter, toss with honey and add brown sugar and cinnamon. Just before serving add sliced bananas.

Top with powdered sugar

Serve with syrup of your choice.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

7Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:11 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Breakfast for September. 5bc159fe4a491c086e723a894d79fc01

I made a Dutch Baby last week.I thought I posted it somewhere around here??? Grandson was here & he made short work of it.

8Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:

I made a Dutch Baby last week. I thought I posted it somewhere around here??? Grandson was here & he made short work of it.
Aw, come on, Barb.....it's mostly AIR! The poor child was probably STILL hungry.....lol! 

9Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

he is 15 & always hungry no matter what.Laughing 

10Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tomorrow for breakfast, Tina wants honey wheat pancakes.
I took out 4 sausage patties that Tina seasoned and made with Pennzes (sp?) sausage spice blend.
We test fried one when she mixed it, but we agreed it needed more sage.
I can't wait for breakfast. Ummm! A stack of wheats! Yummy!

11Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:39 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I can't think of anything LESS appetizing looking than a plate of sausage gravy on biscuits....

white on white

"what IS that?"

ewwwwwww!

But when I saw I still had some cream biscuits in the freezer (all nicely wrapped one-by-one) this is the breakfast I wanted. I don't care for most commercially prepared sausage gravies - too "gluey" for me and usually lacking in any heat, even with a couple shakes of tabasco sauce. So....I make my own to my liking. Jimmy Dean Spicy Breakfast Sausage, browned & broken into small bits, some finely chopped onion (I know...NOT traditional) a bit of butter or bacon fat since the JD sausage isn't all that fatty and enough flour to make a roux. I usually cook the flour for a bit to be sure it's all cooked enough to not taste like flour and then I add the milk. If I have it, after the gravy is thick and boiling, I may thin it out with some half and half for an extra creaminess.

I should probably just slap this meal on my hips and wrap myself in Saran because I'm sure that's where it's going to end up.....but what can I say? I wanted it. Nothing else would have tasted good to me so I might as well give in to my craving and be done with it. I didn't even have any fruit to add to my plate to pretend I had a healthy meal!

Breakfast for September. 092213brkfst

12Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Breakfast for September. 4056093967  looks so good. I miss food like that.

13Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:48 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Breakfast for September. 4056093967  looks so good. I miss food like that.
It's good, but TERRIBLE for me! But, like I said, if I don't give in to my cravings when they hit, well, I'll just find something equally or even more terrible to eat.

The biscuits were those cream biscuits - and they freeze amazingly well. I just wrapped them all individually in plastic and stashed them in a freezer bag. They thaw and then I pop 'em in the toaster oven to reheat.

And they couldn't be any easier to make - 2 1/4 c. White Lily Self Rising Flour, 1 c. Heavy Whipping Cream. Mix, knead a couple times, pat out to about 1/2" and cut with a knife or biscuit cutter. Bake at 400° for 18 - 20 minutes or until golden.

Sometimes I'll add a couple tablespoons of melted butter with the heavy cream just for the added flavor - got to be careful, though, because the additional butter makes them crumble more when you pull them apart....not all together a bad thing! LOL

14Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:53 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Sometimes when I wake up my mind immediately goes to........food.

Boy, that sounds bad, doesn't it?

But that's what happened this morning. I woke up and must have been dreaming of breakfast because that was the very first thought that popped into my head. Not coffee, not open-the-blinds-and-check-the-weather.....but soft boiled eggs.

I wanted to make them look more interesting so I caramelized a bit of onion & wilted in a handful of spinach to catch the excess yolk.

Breakfast for September. 092313brkfst

15Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:03 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Breakfast for September. 3593629538 gosh that looks wonderful.How do you get your eggs just right??

Not only that your toast is toasted on both sides lol

16Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:15 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barb, it's taken me YEARS to get my formula just right for those eggs. I do NOT like any runny whites but I like my yolks still fluid.

I get the water boiling, carefully put the two eggs into the boiling water with tongs. I let them boil for 5 minutes. (NOT 4, but 5 minutes) Then I pour off the water, place the eggs on the counter and then hold each egg under cool water and crack all over. Then, allowing the water to assist getting between the egg and the membrane, I remove the shell as I would with hard cooked, being careful not to squeeze or they'll spring a leak. (you KNOW how I know this....)

Oh, and my system works because my eggs come straight from the refrigerator.

The Black & Decker toaster that was here at the villa when we purchased it is wonderful. Best one I've ever had.

17Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:28 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

B&D lol I may have to get one ..My toaster oven sucks.
ok in the morning My first try at soft boiled eggs Breakfast for September. 2453703928 

18Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:55 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

You'll have no problems....

I'll go take a pic of my toaster.  It's probably 20 years old and no longer available....

Breakfast for September. BlackampDecker

I like the "light" toast is just light and the "dark" toast is really dark (without burning & smoking) the way Dane likes it - and even on both sides.

Breakfast for September. WideSlots

It easily toasts a regular size bagel without cutting off 50%.....nice, wide slots.

19Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:12 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Mmm, Beth, I love biscuits with sausage gravy and also love soft-boiled eggs. Brian loves the former but not the latter.

I might freak him out one day soon and make him some biscuts with sausage gravy -- the man would D-I-E!

20Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's not difficult and is one of my guilty pleasures....and if I didn't show pics here, well, NO ONE would ever know because I know how to keep a secret! I freeze leftovers in snack size bags in the freezer and then I've got a serving size ready whenever I want. I'm surprised how well it freezes & thaws without getting runny.

Imelda and I are both fans of the Jimmy Dean Spicy breakfast sausage. I don't like the Bob Evan's brand because I almost always find a shard of bone or really hard bit in it - and the last thing I need is a broken tooth. The Tennessee Brand spicy is good, too, but has more fat IMO.

21Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:57 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's a dreary, rainy day here in the Sunshine State - how can that be? When I was here earlier in the year (February through June) it rained about 4 times in five months. But today is overcast and drizzly and just a day to stay inside.

So, comfort food came to mind. I decided to pull out the waffle maker. It's a good thing to make when there's only ME to cook for as my old Sunbeam Waffle Maker only makes one at a time. Man, you could starve to death waitin' to make enough for a family with this thing! But, it works for me and I'm not complaining.

I used part of the Jimmy Dean Spicy Breakfast sausage for my sausage gravy the other morning but sliced and smushed about 5 patties to freeze. So, show of hands-----who likes to push the last couple bites of spicy, salty sausage in the syrup on their plate? Boy, that's the best part for me!

Breakfast for September. WaffleampSausageBrkfst

22Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:13 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

We use the Jimmy Dean spicy sausage, too, Beth. And, yep, I love my sausage in my syrup. Love waffles, too. When I make them for the two of us, there's always batter leftover. So I make extra waffles and put them in freezer bags. You can just pull one out (or a half of one) and stick it in the toaster whenever you want a quick breakfast.

23Breakfast for September. Empty Re: Breakfast for September. Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:50 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, so it's hokey....

But, hey, it's a piece of toast, an egg and breakfast - we always say we like to play with our food!

Breakfast for September. EggintheHole

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum