Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Roasted tomatoes

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Roasted tomatoes Empty Roasted tomatoes Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The tomato crop is starting to peak and I've got more tomatoes than I know what to do with.  I've got cherry-size and plum-size Roma type tomatoes.  This morning I decided to cut and seed the Roma's, cover with evoo, s&p and roast until they're dehydrated.  I don't know what I'll do with them, don't know if anyone will eat them when I'm out of here.

I have enough of the cherry size to make a pot of sauce but no way to get rid of the seeds easily so I'm hoping either Dane or Robin will take them to work and share them with someone who would like them. DD in Indy has my cone shaped food mill and my regular OXO food mill is in the villa. Maybe I'll cook them down and just let them strain through a wire mesh strainer and then cook down the juice to a sauce.

2Roasted tomatoes Empty Re: Roasted tomatoes Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:46 pm

JanaAZ

I wish we lived closer. I'd take some off your hands.

I was just thinking about canning some tomato sauce but I think I'll wait until I get to Prescott. it's still too darn hot to do it down in Phoenix right now.

3Roasted tomatoes Empty Re: Roasted tomatoes Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The roasted tomato halves are sitting in the turned off oven....waiting and continuing to dry.

The tomato juice/sauce is strained and sitting on the stovetop at a low simmer to reduce.

I'm thinking of pulling the skins off the roasted tomatoes, adding them to the sauce and see what happens when I use a bit to stew some chicken thighs in it....Italian chicken thighs for supper tonight I think....

And, yes, Jana....you would be more than welcome to come and pick whatever you wanted. It bugs me that after Saturday they will just go to waste or the plants will get pulled because DD has no desire or talent to deal with them.

4Roasted tomatoes Empty Re: Roasted tomatoes Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:49 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I have enough of the cherry size to make a pot of sauce but no way to get rid of the seeds easily so I'm hoping either Dane or Robin will take them to work and share them with someone who would like them. DD in Indy has my cone shaped food mill and my regular OXO food mill is in the villa. Maybe I'll cook them down and just let them strain through a wire mesh strainer and then cook down the juice to a sauce.
Cherry tomatoes make a great sauce, Beth. You ought to go for it, food mill or no food mill.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum