Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Broiled Tomatoes

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Broiled Tomatoes Empty Broiled Tomatoes Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I've posted this recipe before but wanted some of you to try it with the best ripe tomatoes this summer.  Even though, like Barbara, I rarely use the oven in summer, heating up the broiler to do these in a couple of minutes won't heat up the whole house.

I've substituted no-fat Greek yogurt for half of the mayo before.  They tasted okay but didn't look as pretty as the texture of the topping was a bit different.  They're absolutely delicious so please try them.  I normally use Parmesan or Romano but if you've got Gruyere on hand or don't mind spending the bucks for it, they come out even better.  I've been making these for over 20 years and rarely do I serve them that the recipe is not requested.  I didn't try it with Gruyere until about five years ago, though!

Broiled Tomatoes

1/4 cup Mayonnaise (low-fat okay)
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan or Gruyere Cheese (Romano okay too)
1/4 cup Minced Shallot or Green Onion
2 tablespoons Minced Parsley
2 large Ripe Tomatoes, sliced into thick slices, about 1/2”

Preheat broiler. Combine all ingredients except tomatoes in small bowl and blend well. Gently spread mixture about 1/4 inch thick on tomatoes. Broil 4 inches from heat source until lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.

Serves 6.

Recipe from “Too Busy To Cook”, Bon Appetit.

2Broiled Tomatoes Empty Re: Broiled Tomatoes Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

For just a small dish like this, a toaster oven is a really practical addition to the pantry space.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum