Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ok I finally bought one

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ok I finally bought one Empty Ok I finally bought one Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Ok I finally bought one PACE3-996016reg

I have had my eye on one of these smokers for a long time.Got it on order. 1 to 7 days Ok I finally bought one 3326752767 Ok I finally bought one 2790317363 

sad I have to wait for it tho. I want it NOW..Ok I finally bought one 1562938848 Ok I finally bought one 1562938848 

2Ok I finally bought one Empty Re: Ok I finally bought one Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Is Alton Brown coming to visit? Seems like I remember his long past show on smoking in the backyard and he really liked some set-up he made with electric controls......

I think you should smoke a turkey....BEFORE the end of the month. Didn't you say you were going to do turkey on the grill this month? Last I looked the month was almost over.....hahahahaha!

3Ok I finally bought one Empty Re: Ok I finally bought one Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

oh yes smoked turkey. I saw a recipe for smoked mac & cheese.cheers cheers
and I know I can smoke with my big weber but that would mean I have to babysit the thing. ad more charcoal bla bla. It just seems right now to much trouble.this one just ad water,food,plug it in ..easy.

4Ok I finally bought one Empty Re: Ok I finally bought one Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well have fun!

5Ok I finally bought one Empty Re: Ok I finally bought one Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:03 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was just thinking, Barb, about whether or not your smoker has multiple racks inside? What about a lightly smoked but very dehydrated plum tomato? Or other smoked vegetables? I know the usual suspects to smoke are protein based but I'm wondering if anyone has found vegetables that would take nicely with that application.

Norm has his smoker, too. Any suggestions?

I'm also thinking something like a spaghetti squash or slices of acorn squash might benefit from a light smoke. And those are both starchy vegetables you can have, aren't they?

6Ok I finally bought one Empty Re: Ok I finally bought one Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:11 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

yes it has 2 racks.The bottom one sits on the lava rocks.I have been watching lots of you tube videos.

I even asked my landlord if it would blow my breaker box,like my freezer did in a storm.He said he has the same one & just loves the thing.He uses it all the time & he has a big ole weber $$$$$$$$ gasser.He thinks using electric is cheaper then gas bottles on a long 6hr cook.

Yes you can do all sorts of veggies.I am happy with this buy..I know folks are against any thing but charcoal but hey I am for all things easy..Ok I finally bought one 2599281016

7Ok I finally bought one Empty Re: Ok I finally bought one Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:53 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I would think the electric would be more versatile for most of us, especially with limited space and if we don't want to mess with the disposal of more ashes and dust....the wood chips can be contained in a foil pan so they would be easier to toss than all the charcoal/hardwood ash. Just saying.

I'm thinking with something like the tomatoes it might be best to place the halves in a foil tray that would fit inside so they don't drip all over the inside as they dehydrate. That way they wouldn't get overly smoked flavored but, rather, a subtle flavor.

8Ok I finally bought one Empty Re: Ok I finally bought one Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:56 pm

NormM

NormM

it depends on how well you can regulate the temperature.  If it goes low enough to cold smoke stuff, then you can do salmon, cheese, tomatoes, whatever.  The first smoker I ever had was electric and looked like that one but that was so long ago that I don't remember much about it except that I was satisfied with the meats I smoked in it. Mine had a middle rack with a pan that you could put water in to add some steam to the smoking process.

ps to dehydrate tomatoes, you might need to get rack with smaller spaces. I use my oven to dehydrate tomatoes.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

9Ok I finally bought one Empty Re: Ok I finally bought one Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Tomatoes are great smoked but they don't dehydrate on a smoker. They do get yummy however, and taste delicious sliced on a sandwich or also used sliced in an appetizer, too.

Barbara, we're really not familiar with electric smokers as we've always had the charcoal kind. Per the directions, do you use a water pan on it when smoking? Just curious.

I hope you enjoy it as it can be a lot of fun and the smoked food that comes off of one is delicious.

10Ok I finally bought one Empty Re: Ok I finally bought one Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:43 am

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Barbara101 wrote:yes it has 2 racks.The bottom one sits on the lava rocks.I have been watching lots of you tube videos.

I even asked my landlord if it would blow my breaker box,like my freezer did in a storm.He said he has the same one & just loves the thing.He uses it all the time & he has a big ole weber $$$$$$$$ gasser.He thinks using electric is cheaper then gas bottles on a long 6hr cook.

Yes you can do all sorts of veggies.I am happy with this buy..I know folks are against any thing but charcoal but hey I am for all things easy..Ok I finally bought one 2599281016
My dad said a friend did ribs on the top rack and a turkey on the bottom rack and ribs dripped down to baste the turkey. Best turkey he ever ate. I saw a propane smoker at Wal-Mart.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum