Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Darn refrigerator.....

5 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:15 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I can remember Dad bringing home a "new" refrigerator to replace the one that stopped...in the middle of the night. It was suppose to have one of those long upright handles for the door that you pulled down. Well, it must have been in a family with a bunch of kids, just like our house.

That handle had been snapped off to just a nub and you had to put a towel edge over that rough broken handle nubbin and press really hard to get the door to release. I guess it worked so Dad figured if the price was right (probably free or close to It) it would do for a little bit.

Man, Mom hated that thing. She had chapped palms from trying to open the door 50 times a day.

27Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I had a Tupperware job BETTER than a sales rep.  I worked in the office of the Tupperware distributor where all the home party ladies (and a couple men) came for sales meetings and new product introductions.  I got to buy all the Tupperware I wanted, including those wonderful party favors.  Those little Wonderlier Bowl Keychains were my favorite.  Nice to include with the girls' packed lunches for their dipping sauce, seasoning, salad dressing or milk money.  Man, I loved those.  And cheap, too!

Only thing was, I could never bring myself to drink out of a Tupperware glass.  Still can't.

I can't stand the tupperware cup either.
The melmac I can, and we always had our coffee in them when I was a kid.
They were green, the ones mom had. They came with matching ash tray's too.
It was Nescafe instant, and Sanka instant decaf for whoever couldn't sleep.

I have two sets with a pitcher of the Mirro Aluminum glasses. The colors are real neat. Purple...the blue, and red and pink, and a Gold one. They are great for iced tea.
Need that cork table coaster; because it sweats a lot.

Remember the Tupperware Jello cups with the lids. They are like a dull gray. The base pops off for cleaning I guess.
We even have sets of the parfait cups with lids. They were great for puddings.

And the Ham Takers...OMG hahahahaha we have Two of them. They are great. They have the slide out rack with the plastic handles to lift out the ham.

We've had it all...remember the pickle keepers. With the T handle to lift out the pickles to get at them.
I love the Tupperware strainers. We have a favorite blue one that Tina uses for draining the elbow macaroni or potatoes for potato salad.
We had it all... down to the rolling pin that you filled with ice cubes.
Oh! How can I forget the patty stacker for making hamburgers. Geeze!

28Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I can remember Dad bringing home a "new" refrigerator to replace the one that stopped...in the middle of the night.  It was suppose to have one of those long upright handles for the door that you pulled down.   Well, it must have been in a family with a bunch of kids, just like our house.

That handle had been snapped off to just a nub and you had to put a towel edge over that rough broken handle nubbin and press really hard to get the door to release.  I guess it worked so Dad figured if the price was right (probably free or close to It) it would do for a little bit.

Man, Mom hated that thing.  She had chapped palms from trying to open the door 50 times a day.
Laughing Beth I am peeing my pants from laughing so hard. THAT IS SO FUNNY.

29Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:16 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

I have two sets with a pitcher of the Mirro Aluminum glasses. The colors are real neat. Purple...the blue, and red and pink, and a Gold one. They are great for iced tea.

Remember the Tupperware Jello cups with the lids. They are like a dull gray. The base pops off for cleaning I guess.

And the Ham Takers...OMG hahahahaha we have Two of them. They are great. They have the slide out rack with the plastic handles to lift out the ham.

We've had it all...remember the pickle keepers. With the T handle to lift out the pickles to get at them.
I love the Tupperware strainers. We have a favorite blue one that Tina uses for draining the elbow macaroni or potatoes for potato salad.

The jello moulds had removable bottoms so you could release the jello out of the mold - no suction lock.

The ham containers....in the shape of those "parts-is-parts" canned ham, the kind you had to use the attached "key" to unwrap the metal strip all around the lid that usually snapped off about 1/3 of the way around the can. Then Dad would swear and stomp out to the barn to find the vice grips to try to pull the rest of that metal strip off the can. 50% of the time there was blood involved......

What about the ice cream keepers....suppose to keep the air out and prevent freezer burn on the ice cream. Ice cream in a house with four kids never got freezer burn....same with that bread keeper shaped like a long Pullman loaf.

My favorite is still my big green bowl. It's just right for so many things.

30Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

The jello moulds had removable bottoms so you could release the jello out of the mold - no suction lock.

The ham containers....in the shape of those "parts-is-parts" canned ham, the kind you had to use the attached "key" to unwrap the metal strip all around the lid that usually snapped off about 1/3 of the way around the can.  Then Dad would swear and stomp out to the barn to find the vice grips to try to pull the rest of that metal strip off the can.  50% of the time there was blood involved......

What about the ice cream keepers....suppose to keep the air out and prevent freezer burn on the ice cream.  Ice cream in a house with four kids never got freezer burn....same with that bread keeper shaped like a long Pullman loaf.

My favorite is still my big green bowl.  It's just right for so many things.  

We have the big white bowl, and the Red one. Huge too with tops.
We have the older original Tupperware bowls too before colors.
The celery keepers we have two.

The crackers keepers

The bread keepers.

The big huge round containers with lids...and how about the oval pitcher and the koolaid pitcher with the face of mr koolaid on it. We have only one of those.

How about the popsicle moulds with the plastic handles.

The deviled egg trays.

The marinade Tupperware container.

31Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:57 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Only thing was, I could never bring myself to drink out of a Tupperware glass. Still can't.

I cannot bear drinking out of a plastic cup of any type. When I go to a bar and they serve me a drink -- usually a glass of wine -- I always ask for a glass. If they tell me it's Happy Hour, I offer to pay full price to get my wine in a glass. It usually works. And, yes, I tip well. Rolling Eyes 

32Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:33 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Only thing was, I could never bring myself to drink out of a Tupperware glass. Still can't.

I cannot bear drinking out of a plastic cup of any type.  When I go to a bar and they serve me a drink -- usually a glass of wine -- I always ask for a glass.  If they tell me it's Happy Hour, I offer to pay full price to get my wine in a glass.  It usually works.  And, yes, I tip well.  Rolling Eyes 

Yay!.... hahahahaha.
The kids liked those Tupperware glasses.
They had their character cups too. Like Wonder Woman cup, and Hulk Hogan cup with the sippy straw.

I don't even like the plastic water bottles to drink from.

Now I go back to the late 40's onward.......
I remember Mom would get us ( Brother and Me) what they called a plastic blowup balloon. What it was, was a short straw, and a small toothpaste like looking tube, that had red plastic liquid inside. It smelled and what you would do, is squeeze a dime size onto the end of the straw, and blow slowly and carefully as a glassy like balloon would be formed. It took some practice, but usually after a couple failures, we would get a balloon out of it.
They sold the kits in like Woolworths or Kresge's stores in the bargain basement toy section.
The odor was reallyplastic smelling like Duco Cement that kids used to sniff.

That is what the taste I get when I drink from plastic.

Anyone remember those kits of plastic balloons.??? I think they called it Liquid Plastic.

33Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:08 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

I remember Mom would get us ( Brother and Me) what they called a plastic blowup balloon. What it was, was a short straw, and a small toothpaste like looking tube, that had red plastic liquid inside. It smelled and what you would do, is squeeze a dime size onto the end of the straw, and blow slowly and carefully as a glassy like balloon would be formed. It took some practice, but usually after a couple failures, we would get a balloon out of it.
They sold the kits in like Woolworths or Kresge's stores in the bargain basement toy section.
The odor was reallyplastic smelling like Duco Cement that kids used to sniff.

That is what the taste I get when I drink from plastic.

Anyone remember those kits of plastic balloons.??? I think they called it Liquid Plastic.

I remember that stuff and loved it, as it was like holding a "bubble" in your hand. I don't remember that name for it, but I do think it went the way of Silly Putty in our house -- eventually banned, which usually meant someone left it in their pocket and it ended up in the dryer! I do remember the odor, though, which I loved!

34Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:57 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

refrigerator / freezer with a pedal to step on to open the door.

hahaha we had one too.The dog (airdale) learned right quick how to open the fridge.geek She just helped herself..

35Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

HERE Is some older Tupperware....

Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Bolz

Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Onvz

The Mirro Aluminum Glasses are my favorite, and the pitcher too!
I love Iced Tea in them. I love when it sweats.

Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Axxe

Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Pfj7

Beth... Do you want this for a repair on the dishwasher silverware basket? You can cut it with a hacksaw blade to fit inside the broken bottom one.
Seriously....you can have it! I'll send it to you no problem.
I knew I had it! You know what it's from?
The Tupperware celery keeper. I have no clue what the rack is for?? We never used it!

Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Qi5k

36Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:refrigerator / freezer with a pedal to step on to open the door.

hahaha we had one too.The dog (airdale) learned right quick how to open the fridge.geek She just helped herself..

Oh! That is so funny Barb! hahahahaha.....

37Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:14 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:

I remember that stuff and loved it, as it was like holding a "bubble" in your hand.  I don't remember that name for it, but I do think it went the way of Silly Putty in our house -- eventually banned, which usually meant someone left it in their pocket and it ended up in the dryer!  I do remember the odor, though, which I loved!  

OK! That's great that you remembered that! Tina didn't remember that! She was grown up poor and they spent their 50 cents on carrots and onions to make soup. They didn't have toys as kids.
She did have Jax. I remember the girls would play on the school steps at recess. It was a Girls Only Game where I grew up! It was the little red rubber ball they would bounce and swipe up the star shaped metal jax. First onesies then twosies and threesies and so on until they picked up all ten before the ball fell a second time.

OK.... here is one that No One remembers.

It was a block of heavy wood and cardboard about 4 inches by 2 inches.
New, it was wrapped with a long strip of crape paper like a ribbon.
They called them a Lariette. It had a 4 foot long string, and one would circle the wood around their body and spin it round and round like a roper would do in a rodeo. As this was spun around, the streamer would follow in a circle and there was a rubber band like reed that was glued over a slit in the wood, and it would make a strange buzzing sound as it was flung around in a circle! They came in various colors ribbon (crape paper). They were definitely made in china. They were not cheap. Maybe around 30 cents back in the 50's!

Any one remember those??? I have not found one person that remembers them!

38Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:40 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't remember until the "strange buzzing sound"......

I have a vague recollection of that toy. It was like the ribbons on sticks that are used during the gymnastics events for floor exercises during the Olympics.

I just thought of something....wouldn't it be evil is one of those athletes figured out a way to get that buzzing sound on their competitors' stick? Man, that would throw you off your game if you were not expecting it.

39Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Darn refrigerator..... Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:04 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

No, Jimmy, I don't remember that toy.  But remember what we used to call "fly backs?"  They were the balsa wood "swatter" with the thin elastic band attached to a red ball on the other end.  The objective was to flip the ball back and forth and hit it with the paddle.  Needless to say, the elastic broke in no time.  

Regretably, my mom would keep the paddle for you know what!  I'm the youngest of 3 kids and I'm only three years plus a couple of months younger than the eldest.  My brother, who is a bit more than 2 years older than me, used to holler, "Pease, Ma, no fwyback!  Pease no fwyback!"  I'm laughing as I can still hear it.  If I still saw him, I'd hit him again but this time with a cast iron pan!!!!

Remember when Chatty Cathy dolls came out?  I wanted one "forever," which meant that everyone and their brother had one already.  My Dad finally took me to Woolworth's to get one -- I was over the moon!  When we got there, it was $17 I think and he quickly said, "I'm not paying $17 for a effing doll whose string will break in 5 minutes," and we headed back home.  But in my family, money was tight so you knew not to bitch, so I didn't.  I do remember silently crying on the way home though!  My parents were funny, as I usually got the "cool" gifts a year after everyone else had stopped playing with them!  No lie -- like the "Little Red Spinning Wheel."  I never knew what to do with that wool "tube" it made but Lord knows, I must've made 20 miles of that stuff!!!  Darn refrigerator..... - Page 2 2876911673 

I love this thread, as I have truly laughed my tush off at all of this!  I even laughed at my own messages!  Thank you guys for the grins!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum