Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Got my 'new' (used) range and refrigerator.....but.......

+2
Bugster2
bethk
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went and picked up the flat-top range and side-by-side refrigerator that was offered on the local 'for sale by owner' website. The range is nice looking, although I do want to do a good vinegar & water scrub of the oven & oven racks. It looks like someone used oven cleaner but didn't get it all cleaned out as I would do so, before I turn the thing on more than to check to be sure it worked, I want to pull the racks out and give everything a once over.

Then we can discuss the refrigerator....Dumb Me. That's all I can say, 'DUMB ME' !

I measured once. I measured twice. Unfortunately, I think I was just so happy to find a refrigerator that had water & ice from the door (Dane's only request when we bought a home here....) and the fact that I really do not like the refrigerator we have. It's too small, nothing is convenient to get to, the freezer is too small, etc., etc., etc.

I measured from the wall to the edge of the cabinet. Whoops ~ forgot to take into consideration the tile edge of the countertop. Darn.

So, for now, the 'new' refrigerator is in the garage. I'll put an ad on the website and someone who can measure properly will purchase it and be happy. I've got it plugged in to be sure it worked properly and I did put some meat I picked up on sale in it to freeze but I don't think I should keep it since it isn't what I need. I'm sure there will be another one that will fit properly advertised for sale soon enough.

((sigh)) DUMB ME......

Bugster2

Bugster2

What a shame! Sounds like something I would do.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got up this morning and decided it was 'the day' to wipe out the oven so I can use it. It had a film of oven cleaner, etc. and the last thing I wanted to do was turn it on to use it and have that stink. Why anyone would use EzyOff on oven racks is beyond me. It just removes the finish and then they get dirty that much quicker....I ended up using a steel wool soap pad to get the burned on and cleaner all off. Oh well, at least now it's done.

All I really had to do on the side walls and door was a good scrub with a nylon scrubbie with some vinegar water and wipe it dry. Looks pretty good. I'm thinking there might be some cookies in Dane's near future...well, for me most likely! lol

Barbara101

Barbara101

man I hated that job.Back in the day that cleaner stuff made me so sick.I have 2 cans of fume free  stuff. Don't think I even used it.I used baking powder & vinegar.
Wonder if I can use it on my grill grates.IDK??

I have not cleaned my new oven yet . Not one speck of anything.

Going to try & cook stove top.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, I use to use easy off on my cast iron grill grates....when I could no longer stand 'em. I put them in a big trash bag & sprayed 'em, then closed them up and let them 'cook' in the sun. Then all I had to do was brush well and use the garden hose to rinse, and rinse and rinse....

The thing I used oven cleaner for more often was to get the last of the paint residue off an item I was stripping down to refinish or repaint. Man, that stuff took off the last of the paint really nicely.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Last time I cleaned my CI grates.I dumped 2 big bottles of cola in the bag. Came out super clean.Can you believe we drink that stuff  Got my 'new' (used) range and refrigerator.....but....... 2855670339 well after that I don't.lol.Then again I may put some rum in it.  Got my 'new' (used) range and refrigerator.....but....... 3593629538 

bethk

bethk
Admin

I quit drinking sodas about 20 years ago - nothing but calories I don't need. Never could acquire a taste for 'diet' soda.....always a nasty after-taste to me.

Recently I thought a Pepsi sounded good (I never did like the taste of CocaCola....) and after two swallows I put it down. No longer tastes good to me at all.

But I have used Coke to clean my stainless steel sink....Dane usually leaves half a bottle when he wants a Captain Morgan & Coke.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth... why don't you just cut the edge of the counter top off ?

Even if it costs 23.00 for a diamond blade. Then you could put an edge corner trip plate over the raw edge. I'm sure you could fudge something to make it look nice.
Even if you hire a guy to cut it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The tile they used is a white porcelain with a bullnose edge....then there is the original formica (BLUE....ewwww) underneath with an overhang as well. The tile is worked into the backsplash as well.

It's OK - I think Dane has figured out I'm not going to sell the refrigerator right away. It's plugged in out in the garage and I've already used it to freeze some meat I found on sale....AND I've got my ice cream in it. The refrigerator in the kitchen won't keep ice cream frozen, just mushy. Makes me mad. Heck, for all the tools he spent $$hundreds on and used once, well, if I want to have a second refrigerator, so be it.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Even tho it is just me. man I miss having a garage fridge. Heck even a garage.

I need a bigger freezer now too. Got my 'new' (used) range and refrigerator.....but....... 2855670339 I am thrilled to have one but I will never tell anyone to get one like this one. It has no shelves & you just pile the stuff in it.I have to move stuff on the top out to get to stuff under it.PIA..

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:Even tho it is just me. man I miss having a garage fridge. Heck even a garage.

Yeah, I know what you mean. This is the first time we've had a garage attached to the house. Always before the garage was across the driveway and not convenient for a spare refrigerator. I did have my old Sears upright freezer in my utility room in Ohio, however. It was huge. When I was good I'd have it organized nicely and have my wrapped meats in a plastic bin container to keep stuff orderly. Lots of room on the shelves and door for whatever I wanted to keep. Same with the bread and dinner rolls - wrapped and then in an airtight plastic container to keep the stuff from getting freezer burn since it was a 'frost free' freezer and that defrosting fan came on every 20 minutes or so...

That's the one I use to wrap candy in foil and mark it "fish" when the girls were young. They never did figure out what I had done, but I always had chocolate chips for cookies and 'emergency' chocolate for me to eat when I really needed some!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:Even tho it is just me. man I miss having a garage fridge. Heck even a garage.

I need a bigger freezer now too. Got my 'new' (used) range and refrigerator.....but....... 2855670339 I am thrilled to have one but I will never tell anyone to get one like this one. It has no shelves & you just pile the stuff in it.I have to move stuff on the top out to get to stuff under it.PIA..

I know it's a PITA, Barb, but I'd kill for even that freezer! We, too, have no garage -- heck, we have no driveways as the neighborhood is historic and was built prior to cars. We have a small yard or we'd get one of those Tough Sheds to store stuff but it would take up too much room. We literally have no outdoor storage at all. Talk about a PITA!!!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:I have not cleaned my new oven yet . Not one speck of anything.

You know, there's some kind of "cover" you can buy now to put on the bottom or your oven to catch spills and stuff. Since yours is brand new (and such a pretty blue, too), you might want to consider getting one.

If you start going into withdrawals, you can come over hear and clean mine!

Niagara Visitor

I had 39 years of a chest freezer, a Woods all fridge, fridge in our mudroom, and a regular fridge in the kitchen. Then I moved to a condo with just a fridge with a bottom freezer! It's great for me alone, but golly, when you have 15 people for dinner or Christmas rolls around! No more balcony either to use as the really big fridge in the winter. Sigh

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum