Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

yesterday while buying pickles

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1yesterday while buying pickles Empty yesterday while buying pickles Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:19 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

lol.I always stock up when BOGO.Sugar free.

I also picked up some olives. BOGO.

I picked up a jar of that pickled veggie's ..gosh I love that stuff.Great carb & sugar free snack.

I saw a jar of Grapes leaves.I even picked it up.I would love love some stuffed grape leaves.geek 

2yesterday while buying pickles Empty Re: yesterday while buying pickles Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:44 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

But what would you stuff them with?  I've only had them with rice and ground meat....

And I cannot think of another use for them, but then I'm not a big Greek cuisine or Mediterranean cuisine fan - outside my comfort zone, I suppose.  I mean, living in farm country Ohio did not lend itself to worldwide flavors.  But if it grew in a garden, well, that was my experience growing up.

It's interesting about the pickles, though. We use to always have a dish of homemade bread & butter pickles, pickled beets, corn relish and zucchini dills on the table. Some people just put the jars on the table but Grandma insisted on cute little divided dishes for everything. Olives, being store bought, were reserved for holidays and were usually stuck on toothpicks atop a grapefruit half, lol.

3yesterday while buying pickles Empty Re: yesterday while buying pickles Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:54 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

I have lived in 2 places that had grapes vines growing.Then when I used to go to the farm to pick up my fresh eggs the lady had grapes vines growing down her drive way. I asked her if I could pick some. She said sure why do want those things. lol! I said I want to cook them.COOK with them,she said.lol lol.
so I made stuffed grape leaves & took her a bunch. She loved loved them.Gave me 2 dozen eggs free.

they are rice & gd lamb. I happen to just love Greek food.All of it.

4yesterday while buying pickles Empty Re: yesterday while buying pickles Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:47 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:I have lived in 2 places that had grapes vines growing.Then when I used to go to the farm to pick up my fresh eggs the lady had grapes vines growing down her drive way. I asked her if I could pick some. She said sure why do want those things. lol! I said I want to cook them.COOK with them,she said.lol lol.
so I made stuffed grape leaves & took her a bunch. She loved loved them.Gave me 2 dozen eggs free.

they are rice & gd lamb. I happen to just love Greek food.All of it.

I love Greek food, too, Barb. I would put a bit more spice in my stuffed grape leaves than the Greeks do, though, but I love 'em, too.

5yesterday while buying pickles Empty Re: yesterday while buying pickles Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:35 pm

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

They have stuffed grape leaves on the Murray's antipasti bar at Kroger's and they are stuffed with bulgar and seasonings, similar to tabbouleh. I love them, too and usually eat them cold. Is that how you eat them or do you have them hot, sort of like cabbage rolls.

6yesterday while buying pickles Empty Re: yesterday while buying pickles Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The grape leaves I usually have are filled with a ground meat/rice mixture, usually with a definate lemon addition, either in the mixture or a light sauce.

I've never made them but have had them at a Greek restaurant and a Lebanese restaurant, I think.

7yesterday while buying pickles Empty Re: yesterday while buying pickles Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:12 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

thesweetestpea wrote:They have stuffed grape leaves on the Murray's antipasti bar at Kroger's and they are stuffed with bulgar and seasonings, similar to tabbouleh.  I love them, too and usually eat them cold. Is that how you eat them or do you have them hot, sort of like cabbage rolls.

I always had them at room temp, SP.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum