Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ???

+5
NormM
Barbara101
Imelda HL
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 18]

76JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That is one BIG BUNCH OF SHRIMP for a meal....

Did I not hear the phone ring???

77JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sad I din't get my sloppy Joes! Oh Well.

Cooked the meatloaf on the grill..... Pan of water underneath to prevent burning.
I must say, it was good.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Ooiq

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Txss

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Cfq7

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Vu1e

We have Tasty Kakes for dessert. Only if The new B/P machine says we could have some.
I failed the test! .... I did win a Free Ticket to My Funeral though! LOL And that reading was low.

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Rqa5

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Jgp5

78JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

whoa Jimmy..Mad 

79JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Ohhhh, meatloaf on the grill - yummy!

I like those Italian green beans, too. I have some mashed potatoes in the freezer for emergency eating, which may come sooner rather than later now that I've seen yours.

Did your doc tell you to take your BP middle of the day or in a.m. Or after a quiet time in p.m. ?

(And I can top that without even trying....long family history of super high....even on meds)

80JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:46 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

mine said take it before you drink or eat.so I take it first thing in the AM.

Then maybe right before bed. I have to take meds then too so I do it before I drink water.

Have to say it has not ever been that high.Yet doc says I have HBP??

81JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That was after I took it 2 hours before the reading.
Normally it's like 211 / 102.... That's when the nurse said wow!
I'm on Bi-stolic 5 mg but he wants me to take 10mg.
I'm waiting to finish the old leftover pills first.

That is why they didn't want to do the operation for the hernia, but the anashtesia Dr said...don't worry, I'll give you some stuff to get it down.

He told me to take it with or without food or drink.
I was taking it at night with supper, but I am changing it to morning from now on.

82JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I am on Cozar.My Mom was on something else ,,I forget. but it had a diertic (sp) in it.Even tho I am almost salt free my feet swell up. I think from the humidity,even tho I am inside a lot now.iDK...

83JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I am on Cozar.My Mom was on something else ,,I forget. but it had a diertic (sp) in it.Even tho I am almost salt free my feet swell up. I think from the humidity,even tho I am inside a lot now.iDK...

I used to take Cozar.

We use Kosher salt which is with less sodium,'

Tina has HBP She was running a little high last few days,
She NEVER EVER Had High Blood Pressure.
She had her right kidney removed, and a month later, she developed high enough readings to go on medication.
She was always 102 over 67 and aftr the kidney operation, she was at 148 / 89, and sometimes a little higher.

I could stand to lose weight. especially the belly fat.
I wear the elastic special socks to reduce the swelling ankles and foot.
The left is ok, but the right holds water. They work. I have like 5 pair.
They are a B**ch to put on. I stuggle like tarzan wrestling with a lion in a choke hold. Dear Goshes! Huff and Puff. What a chore. hahahahahhaha

84JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was one of those strange weather days and i wasn't sure what I wanted to cook.....saw some pork steak so I decided on pork and sauerkraut in the crock pot, with hopes we wouldn't loose power and it could cook all day. The cooking gods shone down on my kitchen and the meal was a success!

Pork and sauerkraut, boiled potatoes and a cucumber/onion salad. It was amazing to see the 10 yr. old dig into his second helping...no salad, though. But I know he's full and won t need a refill until the morning.

85JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:It was one of those strange weather days and i wasn't sure what I wanted to cook.....saw some pork steak so I decided on pork and sauerkraut in the crock pot, with hopes we wouldn't loose power and it could cook all day.  The cooking gods shone down on my kitchen and the meal was a success!

Pork and sauerkraut, boiled potatoes and a cucumber/onion salad.  It was amazing to see the 10 yr. old dig into his second helping...no salad, though.   But I know he's full and won t need a refill until the morning.

I didn't think the kid would jump into a helping or even a whiff of that salad. I like cuke salad with onions, but not leftover.

I'll bet he likes cucumber sticks with salt though??

Show him how to cut the ends off the cuke, and stick them to the forehead. COoooooLLL!

86JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:38 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 3593629538  I finally got my sloppy Joes.
A Lb. of burger meat, and a can of Heinz sloppy joe sauce....and d o n e !!
They were good too. Not Too Too Sweet!

Tina had a half but she gave no comment. She likes em with tomato soup and onions.
All glued and stuck together. .... And it smells like "Howdy Doody" Farts!

87JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:56 pm

NormM

NormM

Every Sat, Hen House Market has some kind of meat on sale for $5.00. This week it was ribeye steaks. I tried this recipe posted by Crybaby on them. The steaks were good but the paste didn't add much flavor that we could tell. I also made some oven fries from Weekend Chef. They were just OK. They had good flavor but not very crispy.

Smokey Bacon Spice Paste
Recipe from The Great Meat Cookbook sold on Thermapen website

3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons melted bacon fat

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well. Smear over 2 large steaks or 4 smaller steaks. Place in a nonreactive dish, cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.

P.S. I just read reviews of this book on Amazon and they were all great. Bought it and will post more when it arrives.

Sriracha ketchup

Ingredients
1 cup ketchup (I used Simple Heinz Tomato Ketchup)
1 to 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce (I used Huy Fong Foods rooster sauce)

Mixing Directions
Stir 1 tablespoon of sriracha sauce into 1 cup of ketchup and taste. Season to taste by adding more ketchup for milder, or more sriracha for hotter. I ended up using 2 tablespoons of sriracha for 1 cup ketchup.

Let set in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to let the flavors meld before serving.

Hand-cut baked fries (sweet & russet)

Ingredients
1 large russet potato cut into long strips
1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into long strips
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons distilled or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon kosher salt
Baking sheets and parchment paper
Salt and pepper to taste

Cooking Directions
Soak potato strips (fries) in a large bowl of warm water mixed with 2 tablespoons of vinegar for 30 minutes.

Remove fries from water and dry them with paper towels. Empty large bowl of the vinegar water and dry bowl with paper towels. Add fries back to the bowl with the oil, cornstarch, paprika and salt and mix together until all the fries are evenly coated.

Preheat oven or grill to 425ºF

Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly distribute the fries on the parchment paper, making sure none of the fries are touching. Then place in preheated oven or grill. Bake fries for 20 to 30 minutes, turning the fries once on the parchment paper. Let cool, then taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve with sriracha ketchup.

The fries turned out nice and crispy with a soft center. The Sriracha ketchup gave the fries nice kick. Excellent… Now I need to figure out a new

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

88JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:58 pm

NormM

NormM

OOPS Sorry, double post. Deleted.

Last edited by NormM on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

89JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Every Sat, Hen House Market has some kind of meat on sale for $5.00.  This week it was ribeye steaks.  I tried this recipe posted by Crybaby on them.  The steaks were good but the paste didn't add much flavor that we could tell.  I also made some oven fries from Weekend Chef.  They were just OK.  They had good flavor but not very crispy.

Smokey Bacon Spice Paste
Recipe from The Great Meat Cookbook sold on Thermapen website

3 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons melted bacon fat

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk well. Smear over 2 large steaks or 4 smaller steaks. Place in a nonreactive dish, cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.

P.S. I just read reviews of this book on Amazon and they were all great. Bought it and will post more when it arrives.

Sriracha ketchup

Ingredients
1 cup ketchup (I used Simple Heinz Tomato Ketchup)
1 to 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce (I used Huy Fong Foods rooster sauce)

Mixing Directions
Stir 1 tablespoon of sriracha sauce into 1 cup of ketchup and taste. Season to taste by adding more ketchup for milder, or more sriracha for hotter. I ended up using 2 tablespoons of sriracha for 1 cup ketchup.

Let set in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to let the flavors meld before serving.

Hand-cut baked fries (sweet & russet)

Ingredients
1 large russet potato cut into long strips
1 large sweet potato peeled and cut into long strips
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons distilled or white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon kosher salt
Baking sheets and parchment paper
Salt and pepper to taste

Cooking Directions
Soak potato strips (fries) in a large bowl of warm water mixed with 2 tablespoons of vinegar for 30 minutes.

Remove fries from water and dry them with paper towels. Empty large bowl of the vinegar water and dry bowl with paper towels. Add fries back to the bowl with the oil, cornstarch, paprika and salt and mix together until all the fries are evenly coated.

Preheat oven or grill to 425ºF

Line baking sheets with parchment paper and evenly distribute the fries on the parchment paper, making sure none of the fries are touching. Then place in preheated oven or grill. Bake fries for 20 to 30 minutes, turning the fries once on the parchment paper. Let cool, then taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve with sriracha ketchup.

The fries turned out nice and crispy with a soft center. The Sriracha ketchup gave the fries nice kick. Excellent… Now I need to figure out a new

Wow! Sounds Good Norm.

I like that idea of oven baking the fries... Hmmm

Looks like ya got a twofer one post! bounce 

90JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was the two Sloppy Joes. I was still hungry, and I warded off jabbing food in my mouth.
Was watching some food programs, and that was it....

Right to the refridge;......ripped off the tupperware top off that the meatloaf from yesterday was in. and with a paring knife, I made the attack. I just couldn't stop eating it.
No bread...just the cold meatloaf. The darn thing looks like it was attacked by three hungry merauders from Robinhoods Sherwood Forest! Naturally, I cut off all the crispy carmelized Glaze and ate that. Ummmmm!!! Sticky and sweet!! LOL

91JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have some chicken, spinach & mozzarella sausages simmering in some homemade marinara for supper tonight over (probably) thin spaghetti. I just looked and I don't have any lettuce so I guess it's going to be slim pickings tonight.

Nothing sounds good today....sort of in a cooking funk....

92JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I have some chicken, spinach & mozzarella sausages simmering in some homemade marinara for supper tonight over (probably) thin spaghetti.  I just looked and I don't have any lettuce so I guess it's going to be slim pickings tonight.

Nothing sounds good today....sort of in a cooking funk....

Sausages sound good; but the chicken affraid  not for me.

Tina picked up some cold cuts for sammiches for supper or tomorrow, and she made a batch of Pasta e Fagiole. Now that is a good thing.

She was in Walmart, and they have a huge sale on Paula Dean Pots and Pans.
She bought a frypan set for like two and change. Then she found a Paula Dean Pound Cake Ring.
It is awesome tasting.

Here its a Sleep  kinda day.

93JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Actually, Jimmy, the chicken sausages are pretty tasty. Especially when they are simmered in a homemade marinara sauce. You would never guess they were chicken is it wasn't announced....

Oh, and I did find that I had a head of I iceberg lettuce in the Tupperware container. So we had a head lettuce salad with carrots and celery....topped with my favorite crunchy rice noodles.

94JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Actually, Jimmy, the chicken sausages are pretty tasty.  Especially when they are simmered in a homemade marinara sauce.  You would never guess they were chicken is it wasn't announced....

Oh, and I did find that I had a head of I iceberg lettuce in the Tupperware container.  So we had a head lettuce salad with carrots and celery....topped with my favorite crunchy rice noodles.

I Have eaten it before but not knowing what it was. It was a little dry, and I questioned,"Where is this sausage from?" All Tina had to say was,"Oh You Like it huh?"
That was it! I was done eating it, and when I heard Chicken ( I was like Superman / Clark Kent; finding out there was a Lump of Green Kryptonite in his lunch box! LOL

I will say though, it did taste ok!

95JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ugh... I am so full. I had like 4 cups of cooked pasta e fagiole ...Then I diddle daddled picking out the beans from the leftovers. I love the beans.

96JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

So who is going to eat the leftovers now that you've eaten all the good stuff?

I mean, sounds like a bowl of soggy dittalini is all that's left.....lol

97JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:So who is going to eat the leftovers now that you've eaten all the good stuff?

I mean, sounds like a bowl of soggy dittalini is all that's left.....lol

Tina will probably make a "Soggy Dittalini on Toast sandwich! hahahahah pig 

Either that, or skunk food tonight.

98JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:05 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Every Sat, Hen House Market has some kind of meat on sale for $5.00. This week it was ribeye steaks. I tried this recipe posted by Crybaby on them. The steaks were good but the paste didn't add much flavor that we could tell. I also made some oven fries from Weekend Chef. They were just OK. They had good flavor but not very crispy.

I've been dying to try this, Norm, and was sorry to hear it didn't add much flavor. How long did you leave it on the meat (just curious)?

I recently got the cookbook (private seller on Amazon took forever to ship it) and it really is informative about all kinds of meat. I'm going to have to look thru it again and post some of the ones that tempt me.

99JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:05 pm

NormM

NormM

I put it only on one side of the steak, covered it with plastic wrap, put another on top, added more of the sauce, another layer of plastic, and one more steak, sauce and plastic wrap and let them sit out stacked like that for two hours. The sauce was only on one side and a lot of it stuck to the plastic when I took it off and grilled it. When I turned it over, to grill on the other side, most of the rest of the sauce disappeared. The steaks were kind of thin but they were good. We just didn't notice much difference than when I just grill them with salt and pepper.

100JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:14 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

JULY, 2013 - what's for dinner ??? - Page 4 1011261_10200788676913062_839933607_n

not that great but killing 2 birds. grape tomato's that I am not fond of & shrimp that I am..hey it works.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum