Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Toasted fresh breadcrumbs

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Toasted fresh breadcrumbs Empty Toasted fresh breadcrumbs Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to get a jump on tonight's supper....BLT Pasta.  The name is kind of misleading as there is no "L" (lettuce) but rather "S" (spinach) as a major player in the dish.  You've all seen the pics previously so I hope you remember.

I checked the freezer and found a quarter loaf of a baguette that I save for just this purpose.  I started by cutting off the crusts and cut end to be rid of any freezer taste.  Then I started to grate the semi-frozen bread on the large holes of my box grater.  By using the box grater I'm assured of having larger, panko-like bits as well as crumbs.

I added some evoo and a bit of butter to a skillet and tossed in the bread crumbs, a little s&p, to toast and stir until dry and golden brown.  You have to be careful your heat is not too high or you get burned crumbs....kind of like what you would get if you shook Jimmy's toaster upside down....lol.  When the crumbs are the right color I dump them on a bit of paper towel to absorb any additional oil so they don't get soggy.

Sometimes I'll add some grated Parmesan or dried or fresh herbs to vary the taste.  What I like is the difference in crumb and bits, crunchy dry and just a tiny bit chewy.  

The crumbs are a perfect topping for the BLT Pasta or any number of dishes, even your breakfast frittata or scrambled eggs.  I keep extra prepared crumbs in an airtight container in the refrigerator and then just freshen in the  microwave just before use.

2Toasted fresh breadcrumbs Empty Re: Toasted fresh breadcrumbs Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:57 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I usually toast mine in the oven but will try this now that summer is here.  Like Barbara, I try not to use the oven in summer.

There's a convenient store not far from here that sells the best poor boy sandwiches (on the best French bread sold in N.O. by Leidenheimer's Bakery).  They are not only good and overfilled but cheap.  You can buy a large plastic bag of leftover French bread ends and pieces for $1.  Brian used to buy it for the birds but I now use it for bread pudding or for bread crumbs -- the birds get what won't fit in the freezer.  Plus the bird seed he buys the birds!

3Toasted fresh breadcrumbs Empty Re: Toasted fresh breadcrumbs Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have also ground up my stale bread in my mini chop and that works as well, something that is easier when I have a lot of bread to grate.   Something I've done "in a pinch" when I need breadcrumbs....I'll smash up seasoned croutons, either some I have for salads or even the dried ones used for turkey dressing....into a bag and smashed with my meat mallet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum