Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2021 September ~ What's Cooking?

+3
JanaAZ
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

512021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:30 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:I was mowing the yard the other day and back in the trees where I don't mow much, I found a tomato plant growing!  Some bird must have dropped a seed from a tomato it stole from somewhere else.  I put it in a large pot and moved it to a sunnier place.  For a couple days I thought it was going to die but today it has perked up.  I just hope there is enough time for it to grow some tomatoes.  If it is a cherry tomato plant, it might.  Next time I go to Whole Foods, I will try to remember to look for kumatoes

My sister had the same thing happen except it was a loquat seed. It grew into a tree that had a million loquats. They were really good.

bethk, NormM and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

522021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I trimmed the pork tenderloins I bought and used the ends for cut-up bits for sweet & sour pork. The tenderloin roasts will be in the freezer for another day.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 09_11_13

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

532021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Chicken tikkata.  I cooked egg noodles. Have had too much rice lately. First time making it. It was very good. ."

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 09_11_14

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

542021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:42 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had chcken soup Tina made, and with Matzo balls.
A piece of cod fish too.
Snack tonight was a French bread cheese pizza. Red baron frozen ....
Not bad, but we like the sauce and sausage one better.

bethk likes this post

552021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thawed a big bone-in, skin-on chicken breast this morning. At the last minute I decided to trim the bone out to have a thick, boneless chicken breast. Since it was still partially frozen I didn't have a problem wrapping the bone and dropping it into the 'Parts-Is-Parts' bag back in the freezer for making stock another time. I seasoned the chicken well with s&p and browned the skin side in a small cast iron skillet, added a lid and it's in the toaster oven to cook through.

I've got a cup of 'Better-Than-Bullion' broth made with a cup of boiling water and 1 tsp. of the concentrate. I'll use that to make some gravy when the chicken is done.

I saw some seasoned Pepperidge Farms Bread Croutons in the freezer that reminded me I had a box of Stove Top Stuffing in the pantry. Better than mashed potatoes ~ only takes 5 minutes to make after bringing a cup of water and 4 T. of butter to a boil. Easy Peasey!

I picked up some nice, small Brussels sprouts at Whole Foods and had them in a bag with a damp paper towel. Today seems the perfect meal to use them. I've crisped up a few slices of bacon, have some chopped onion and will brown the halved sprouts in the bacon fat before finishing them with just a bit of the chicken stock, onion and finally adding the crisped bacon before serving.

All in all, I'm looking forward to a nice 'fall' supper on a rainy day.

562021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The only comment he made was, "Where's the cranberry sauce?"............LOL

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 09_12_11

572021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Pork ribs with simple ketchup/brown sugar sauce/rub  and tomato, cuc and onion salad."

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 09_12_12

Last edited by bethk on Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total

bethk likes this post

582021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:The only comment he made was, "Where's the cranberry sauce?"............LOL

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 09_12_11

Yeah! hahahaha.....and I would have said, "Where's the burn't dinner rolls!"

bethk likes this post

592021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:18 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Mushrooms, onions and scallops on a rice medley."

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 09_13_12

602021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I didn't know what to fix for tonight. I finally decided on grilled burgers. I had a couple hard cooked eggs so macaroni salad sounded good to go with them.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 09_13_13

When I was looking around the freezer I saw the last chuck roast I picked up. I decided to thaw it out today and I'm going to do a low/slow Crockpot braise with the 3-dry mix recipe with Brown Gravy Mix, Ranch Dressing Mix & Italian Dressing Mix. Then, tomorrow, I'll be able to let it cool down to hand shred and de-fat the juices so we can have the Italian Beef Sandwiches tomorrow.

612021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had pizza, Cheese Danish, and coffee.

bethk likes this post

622021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:44 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Question:

Where do you store your spices and herbs? Cupboard, spice rack, drawer or something else?

bethk likes this post

632021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 pm

NormM

NormM

I store them on turntables in the cabinet above my knifes and cutting board. PS I try to keep most of them in alphabetical order too. Not that they always are. 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 1f603 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 20210921

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

642021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have mine on wall racks inside my pantry. They're 'organized' by "sweet" & "savory" uses ~ and I usually stand there looking over them until I find the one I want......kind of like a game of "I Spy!" for old people.....

LOL

652021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The overnight Crockpot cook of the Italian Beef Roast worked great. It was easy to take it out, let it cool down enough to hand shred & de-fat the juices. And then I put 2 containers in the freezer for another time and tonight's went into the refrigerator to be reheated for our supper.

I couldn't find any fresh sub buns but they had those diamond shaped ones at WalMart that we like. I cut them in half, toast them under the broiler until golden and then add a slice of mozzarella and back into the toaster oven to toast and melt the cheese so it gets nice and bubbly. Then spoon the hot beef on top and supper's ready.

Made our yummy 'vegetable spaghetti' to go along side.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 09_14_12

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

662021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Just a reminder:  IF you see a post from a 'new' member, do NOT click on any links or websites they list.  This forum is by invitation only and lately I've had to delete 6 unauthorized people who got in.  I try to keep up with checking but sometimes they get past me and make posts.

If you'd like to invite someone you know to join, there's not a problem.  Just let me know and I won't ZAP them out of here!  We just don't need spammers and people who just want to link to their sites.

Since I posted this there have been 4 more sign-ons. Please do not interact with any of their sites. I don't have any idea how safe they are.

I'll keep trying to delete them as I see them.

Last edited by bethk on Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

672021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. A little different. Duck leg, half a Delicata squash, and a purple fleshed sweet potato. It tasted like a regular one. No big deal!"

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 09_14_13

682021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was eggs over easy, and toasted rye bread.
Had a zero appetite today. Actually a s--t day.
Uncle Elmers toilet took a c---p. Luckily, we got DD's boyfriend to get one at the Dome Hepo, and install it today.
The old toilet was 65 years old. Parts no longer available, and was a green color. Well guess what. It's a white one now.

692021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The spice door / drawers....etc. Way too many and we use only 5%of them.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Oil10
2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Oil310

bethk likes this post

702021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:34 am

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. A little different. Duck leg, half a Delicata squash, and a purple fleshed sweet potato. It tasted like a regular one. No big deal!"

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 09_14_13

That dinner looks pretty sad.  But it was really good.  Duck leg was perfectly crispy, not greasy at all, squash nicely done and the purple sweet potato "interesting"  I will not buy that again, it doesn't look appetizing at all.  It tasted good, just like a regular sweet potato. I actually had two legs, ate them both. There's not much meat on the leg.

PS on edit. I have realized since I started taking pictures of my food, just how much "cheating" is done in cookbooks and advertisements. Many years ago we were raising rabbits commercially and my recipe was used in an advertising pamphlet. A food stylist came to our house with the photographer the day I made it. By the time that photographer and stylist were happy with the "look" I had no appetite any more. LOL

712021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

As I usually do, I was surfing the cooking channels and stopped to watch an episode of 'The Kitchen' on the Food Network (not a favorite show of mine, I much prefer old PBS Julia & Jacques programs). Geoffrey Zakarian was making a sausage & kale pasta and it caught my attention because I had some of the same kale in the refrigerator that I picked up at Whole Foods and it really needed to be used....like NOW! Well, anyway, he had some special sausage, seasoned well with paprika and spices. I didn't have any of the speciality sausage (big surprise, huh?) but I DID have 3 slices of Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage in the freezer, wrapped well and there in case I wanted to make a sausage/egg/biscuit breakfast sandwich. So, I decided to use the pork breakfast sausage and spice it up with some of the harissa seasoning I have. The harissa is REALLY spicy, but you have to live on the wild side once in a while.

I browned the sausage, removed it from the pan so it didn't get overcooked & tough. Then I softened some onion & celery, added back the sausage and started to season with the harissa. I think I ended up using a good heaping tablespoon (which made it REALLY spicy ~ but good flavor) and I sloshed in some tasty red wine I had leftover ~ a Pinot Nior. I added some chopped tomatoes that were begging to be used, skinned, seeded & chopped and a small can of tomato sauce. Everything got simmered for about 30 minutes or so. Then I added the sliced kale (I had removed the stems) and let it cook another 15 minutes. I finished the sauce with a good sized pat of butter (probably a tablespoon) and added the cooked shells.....along with some of the pasta water to loosen it up a bit. I turned off the heat and sprinkled on about 1/2 c. of shredded (microplaned) Parmesan.

Served it with a toasted roll and a light tossed salad.

Dane said, "This isn't any good".......as he was taking his second helping! He was happy there's enough sauce I pulled out for a second meal. I'll see if it survives freezing.....

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 09_15_12

722021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina breaded and fried three nice small eggplants. We picked on that, and had
hot dogs also. 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Fried_10

bethk likes this post

732021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:40 pm

Cookin Lore

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:The spice door / drawers....etc. Way too many and we use only 5%of them.

2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Oil10
2021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Oil310

I have 6 identical Rubbermaid turntables that are on two shelves by my stove. Some of those turntables are over 40 years old. Those hold the smaller spice items. Some larger items are in my walk in pantry/storage area. I try to keep them according to type sweet/savoury etc. In the pantry I try to do the same.............. rices/grains/beans etc., then canned veggies in one area, oils/vinegars another area. I try, but you know what can happen. Tomorrow my new fridge comes, then my kitchen will truly be done. Then, I'll send a bunch of pictures to you, Beth.

742021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lots of tomatoes, so, a sauce is cooking with meatballs for supper. Thanks to Tina.

bethk likes this post

752021 September ~ What's Cooking? - Page 3 Empty Re: 2021 September ~ What's Cooking? Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Lots of tomatoes, so, a sauce is cooking with meatballs for supper. Thanks to Tina.

I'm jealous of anyone who gets good tasting home-grown tomatoes this time of year. I never in my wildest dreams thought the ones from Florida would be so tasteless....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum