Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

2020 Thanksgiving ~ Smaller than usual.......

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Our good friends, Lyn & Bill, normally drive to Ohio for Thanksgiving, but not this year. It's been quite a ride, getting through this year with Covid19 creating such havoc throughout the world. But we can still have a small get together, as Lyn & Bill have been in our 'pod' of regularly seen friends. Thursday is Lyn's birthday (her family insists it ALWAYS falls on Thanksgiving but this year it really does) so she'll get a birthday candle in HER dessert. (Bill's birthday is on Christmas Day so they both have to share with a big meal as their celebration.)

With that in mind, I'm making a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I have a 12 pound turkey thawing in the garage refrigerator (I'm still thinking it would be easier to spatchcock it). I'll make a mashed potato casserole (making that today ~ Tuesday ~ because it holds easily for later reheating), green beans plain and also a casserole with a mushroom cream sauce and (yum!) canned crispy onions. Canned corn, straight out of the can with a bit of butter, will be a second vegetable as Bill only likes plain green beans & corn. Today I'll prep my dressing casserole, made with Pepperidge Farms cubed seasoned bread and lots of chopped onion & celery. On Thursday I'll add homemade stock & an egg before baking it in the oven when the turkey comes out to rest. I picked up some Fresh Market herbed knot dinner rolls ~ no sense in making my own when I'll probably forget them and let them burn in the oven at the last minute (commonly referred to by DD#1 and me as: "Dammit the Rolls!"). The gravy will be made with the turkey drippings and homemade stock from the freezer, with a portion simmered with the cooked gizzards, heart & liver for Dane & Lyn who like it.

On Wednesday I'll make my pumpkin pie and maybe an apple pie. Thursday morning I'll bake off a Cherry Crostata as that's Bill's favorite. It's made from refrigerated Pillsbury Pie Crust and canned Comstock Cherry Pie Filling so it's easy to make 'fresh' the day of.....

Lyn is bringing a tossed salad (she insisted on contributing something). I have some homemade pickled beets. Dane's 'must-have' canned jellied cranberry sauce is already in the refrigerator firming up.

I'll be setting out some crunchy vegetables with Ranch Dressing & a bowl of mixed olives to nosh on and also I'll be making some little filo cups baked with brie and topped with homemade raspberry sauce.

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tom is thawing in a big pot on the back porch. It's a perfect 40 F outside
Tomorrow night, it goes into salt water to clean.
We will have the bird, and a pan of lasagna. Mashed taters, sweet taters candied. Stuffing.... stovetop, and Tinas mix with cubes of bread rolls and lots of onions and celery and grated carrots.

Veggies and gravy and all the trimmings. The next door neighbors will be over too.
I just hope we don't burn the crescent rolls either. Oh, and hopefully put out the cranberry jelled sauce.
DD and Tina will bake pumpkin pies tomorrow. DD already made her cutout cookies.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Everything is moving along for my Thanksgiving Day prep. Yesterday I made my mashed potatoes and they're in a casserole dish in the refrigerator. I just finished cleaning/cutting the green beans so they just have to be cooked in the morning. I have my pumpkin pies made ~ tomorrow morning I'll bake off the cherry crostata as I think it's better tasting when it's freshly baked. Two cans of corn are ready to be opened ~ it's difficult to plan a meal when one of your guests will only eat PLAIN vegetables (and only two options, at that!).

My turkey is thawed. I'm just about ready to tackle that.....taking out the neck & innards to simmer for stock. I have a quart of stock from the freezer already thawed and ready for anything that needs it. Then the only other thing I have to do today is saute my vegetables for my dressing and mix it with the bread cubes to await tomorrow when I'll add egg and broth before baking it when the turkey comes out to rest. Oh, and I'll make my mushroom cream sauce for the green bean casserole. I like to let the mushroom stems and a bit of onion simmer in some half & half to flavor it and thicken up. Then I'll saute some of the sliced shitake and crimini mushrooms and it will all meld overnight in the refrigerator.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to spatchcock my turkey.....I'm leaning that way. It won't be a "looker" as turkeys go but it will cook in about half the time and be easier to carve.

So, Yup......decided. Gonna go cut that back bone out to go into my stock right now!

bethk

bethk
Admin

My pies are cooled for tomorrow......

Still have the cherry crostata to make in the morning.

2020 Thanksgiving ~ Smaller than usual....... 11_25_12

cookingirl

cookingirl

Happy T-day to all...

I ams tasing home for T-day.. Having an Untraditional Thanksgiving day Meal, for an unconventional Tday and year...

I am making a new recipe: Sauted Chicken Thighs with a fresh cranberry, sweet and savory relish.. Starts on stove top, finishes in oven.

Sides will be: Rice Pilaf, and fresh green beans.

Dessert! OMG>. a friend gave me an unexpected 2 lobs of Italian Cookies!! and I bought myself a Pumpkin pie...

Got a robocall from the buildings Rabbi--I am not Jewish.. The rabbi does so much for the people in here. She, yes, SHE said staff will be coming around from 9-12; knocking on our door to give us some pie!!

The building, first time ever, gave us an extra meal last night for T-day. A traditional Turkey with all the fixings...

Very kind gestures..

Happy Thanksgiving to all...

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Got the cherry crostata made as soon as the coffee was done.......Hmmmmmm, looks like someone had pie for her breakfast!  (don't judge.....it's TRADITION!  Hahahahahahaha)

2020 Thanksgiving ~ Smaller than usual....... 11_26_10

Crostata ready to slip into the oven.....at 7:15 a.m.  (yes, I AM nuts!)

2020 Thanksgiving ~ Smaller than usual....... 11_26_11

Ready to cool and wait for dinner:

2020 Thanksgiving ~ Smaller than usual....... 11_26_12

bethk

bethk
Admin

Pictures from our Thanksgiving, 2020:

Spatchcocked turkey ready to go into a 425° oven ~ chopped veg on the foil lined sheet pan, Pam sprayed rack, herb butter under the skin and on the skin, seasoned with s&p:

2020 Thanksgiving ~ Smaller than usual....... 11_26_14

14# turkey after 1 hour & 30 minutes ~ breast tested at 190°, dark meat at 210°~tented and rested for 30 minutes:

2020 Thanksgiving ~ Smaller than usual....... 11_26_15

Appetizers with cocktails:  Brie raspberry bites, olives, vegetables & dip:

2020 Thanksgiving ~ Smaller than usual....... 11_26_16

Thanksgiving 2020 table ~ everything got to the table:  turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy 2 ways, dressing, green bean casserole, corn, herb knot rolls,tossed salad, pickled beets & jellied cranberry sauce:

2020 Thanksgiving ~ Smaller than usual....... 11_26_17

cookingirl likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Let's try one more time, Cyn:

Click on 'Host an image' icon above.

Click on 'Select files +' icon

Select the file and picture from your computer and double click on it.

Click on 'Send All' icon

Wait a couple seconds to click on the 'Insert' icon

at that time you should notice the code entered into your post.....

Finally, click on 'Remove' icon so it doesn't post again when you try to post a picture.

I know you can do this.....you've done it before.

If all else fails, email the picture to me (I know you have my email address....) and I'll post it for you.

cookingirl

cookingirl

2020 Thanksgiving ~ Smaller than usual....... Fa7fb310

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum